    Any suggestions?

    David

  2. Re: Ubuntu printing via network to USB printer on Windows machine

    On 2008-09-19, David Galea wrote:
    > I run Ubuntu hardy and would like to know how to access a printer that
    > is connected to my wifes windows PC via usb?
    >
    > I tried samba to no avail.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    First, it needs to be shared from the Windows PC. If file/printer
    sharing is not turned on, or the printer isn't shared, you can't see
    it from another machine.

    Once it is shared, Samba/cups is your solution.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Ubuntu printing via network to USB printer on Windows machine

    David Galea wrote:

    > I run Ubuntu hardy and would like to know how to access a printer that
    > is connected to my wifes windows PC via usb?
    >
    > I tried samba to no avail.

    In windows control panel - add/remove apps applet, select "install/remove
    windows components" and then the "print services for unix". It will give
    you a raw printer queue with the name of the printershare (the same one you
    get when "sharing" the printer) which you may add via cups config,
    as "remote lpr" - port 515. Of course you have to make sure that on the
    windows pc, this port is open - you may need to adjust firewall settings.
    If linux/cups has a driver for that printer, it should just work after the
    usual restart of windows, without any credentials necessary to logon to the
    windows box.

+ Reply to Thread