Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself - Ubuntu ; My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up if power button is ...

  1. Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    prior to suspending itself it says in /var/log/messages

    Sep 17 23:09:08 sisterspc kernel: [78514.820000] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:01:0c.0 disabled

    On 2008-09-19, Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    BIOS setting?

    --
    John

  4. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    In comp.os.linux.misc Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    I'm not familiar with UG, but do know Debian. My Debian laptop has a
    Power Management GUI thingy that sets the suspend/hibernate idle
    timeout (System > Preferences > Power Management). Failing that, you
    could try uninstalling the uswsusp and hibernate packages.

    Chris

  5. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    John F. Morse schreef:
    > Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    >> My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    >> install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    >> unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    >> if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    >> expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    > BIOS setting?

    That's what I found on an old Toshiba with a similar issue.

  6. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    In Chris Davies:

    [Snip...]

    > Power Management GUI thingy that sets the suspend/hibernate idle

    Shot in the dark...

    I have some desktops that have "Power Management" options in the BIOS, and
    some are not very friendly in typical BIOS default config as servers.

    (Not that I'd prefer typical desktops as 24/7/365 servers, but I digress)

    As an example (IIRC) one has a BIOS setting that defaults to spinning down
    the disks after 30 minutes of inactivity. That's really going to crimp the
    server response features.

    So, I'd check the BIOS for these "power save" features, too.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  7. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    On 2008-09-19, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > John F. Morse schreef:
    >> Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    >>> My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    >>> install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    >>> unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    >>> if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    >>> expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    >> BIOS setting?
    >>

    > That's what I found on an old Toshiba with a similar issue.

    other than hardware settings ...
    just naming a box as a 'server' doesn't really make it one. Putting a
    gui environment on a 'server' may mean you have to configure the gui
    to ensure the gui does not take over the functioning of the box.
    first test would be 'does the server respond to a request from a
    client when the server appears to be in "sleep" mode?'.
    But perhaps my concept of a server is skewif.

    --
    l'air du temps

  8. Re: Ubuntu home server "suspends" itself

    On 2008-09-19, Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    > My sister's Ubuntu Gutsy home server, just a basic Ubuntu Gutsy
    > install with GUI, somehow magically goes to "sleep" every so often for
    > unknown reasons (suspend). It is a little Dell desktop. It can wake up
    > if power button is pressed. But this is not the behaviour that one
    > expects from servers. We want it to be up all the time. What gives?

    I've got a little HP Pavilion laptop staged as a server with Mepis
    and I had to turn off all the power management stuff within KDE
    and screen savers. Now it's always up. Try turning all that stuff off
    and see what happens.

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/