Partitioning "C" drive with partition software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Partitioning "C" drive with partition software - Ubuntu ; I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to know what the procedure would be using a third party partition software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I ...

  1. Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to know what the procedure would be using a third party partition software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I forget what the third one was for), but someone out there knows? I thank you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.

    Chuck

  2. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:12:58 -0700, Chuck Tanner wrote:

    > I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started

    Bugger off, n00b. Dip****s posting HTML formatted crap in a Usenet
    newsgroup deserve no help. Learn some manners and come back later.

  3. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:12:58 -0700, Chuck Tanner wrote:

    >------=_NextPart_000_01A5_01C919C2.8FC741C0

    >I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted =
    >to know what the procedure would be using a third party partition =
    >software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for =
    >swap and (I forget what the third one was for), but someone out there =
    >knows? I thank you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.

    I generally make four. One for /boot. One for swap. One for root (/)
    and another for /home.

    On modern PC's that don't have boot into the first 1024 cylinders limit, you
    don't need a separate /boot partition. /home and /root can also be combined
    so that you'd only two partitions: swap and root.

  4. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:12:58 -0700, Chuck Tanner wrote:

    > I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted
    > to know what the procedure would be using a third party partition
    > software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for
    > swap and (I forget what the third one was for), but someone out there
    > knows? I thank you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck
    >

    > > id=MailContainerBody
    > style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"
    > bgColor=#ffffff leftMargin=0 topMargin=0 CanvasTabStop="true"
    > name="Compose message area">

    I am a "newbie" and
    > prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to know what the
    > procedure would be using a third party partition software.  Would I
    > make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I forget
    > what the third one was for), but someone out there knows?  I thank
    > you in advance.  Any details would be appreciated.

    > size=2>Chuck

    You really only 'need' two partitions for a Linux install - one for swap
    and one for '/' or root. I suggest you do that initially - much simpler.

  5. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Chuck Tanner wrote:

    > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
    > Encoding: quoted-printable

    Please do not post HTML in Usenet. Pure text messages are
    required. The above is not read here.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  6. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Chuck Tanner wrote:
    > I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I
    > wanted to know what the procedure would be using a third party
    > partition software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for
    > program, one for swap and (I forget what the third one was for), but
    > someone out there knows? I thank you in advance. Any details would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    You need a swap partition, usually about twice the size of your RAM.

    You need a partition for the remaining file system mount points.

    Some do it the easy way and allocate the remainder of their hard drive
    to root ("/") which will be the root of all other directories.

    Many suggest a separate /home partition to make it easy to retain your
    personal files and settings should you later upgrade the system or
    perhaps change to a different distro.

    The non /home space requirements, or what / needs, is usually no more
    than 5 GB for a typical GNOME desktop with many programs.

    If you plan on downloading and installing a zillion programs, then maybe
    you should create a larger / partition, or use a separate /usr partition.

    If you will run a mail or news server, or expect a lot of logging, then
    consider a separate /var partition. This will keep an unexpected /var
    overload from crashing the system.

    --
    John

  7. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Chuck Tanner wrote:

    > I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to
    > know what the procedure would be using a third party partition software.
    > Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I
    > forget what the third one was for), but someone out there knows? I thank
    > you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    Chuck,

    You don't need to use any third party software nor worry about making
    partitions for Ubuntu. Ubuntu will do that by itself, quite nicely.

    All you need to do is shrink your existing NTFS partition, leaving raw space
    on your hard drive for Ubuntu to install it's required partitions into.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  8. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    "John F. Morse" wrote in message
    > Chuck Tanner wrote:
    >> I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted
    >> to know what the procedure would be using a third party partition
    >> software. Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for
    >> swap and (I forget what the third one was for), but someone out there
    >> knows? I thank you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.
    >> Chuck

    > You need a swap partition, usually about twice the size of your RAM.
    >
    > You need a partition for the remaining file system mount points.
    >
    > Some do it the easy way and allocate the remainder of their hard drive to
    > root ("/") which will be the root of all other directories.
    >
    > Many suggest a separate /home partition to make it easy to retain your
    > personal files and settings should you later upgrade the system or perhaps
    > change to a different distro.
    >
    > The non /home space requirements, or what / needs, is usually no more than
    > 5 GB for a typical GNOME desktop with many programs.
    >
    > If you plan on downloading and installing a zillion programs, then maybe
    > you should create a larger / partition, or use a separate /usr partition.
    >
    > If you will run a mail or news server, or expect a lot of logging, then
    > consider a separate /var partition. This will keep an unexpected /var
    > overload from crashing the system.
    >

    > --
    > John
    > No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Intel, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products
    > were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.
    >
    > The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell
    > me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being,
    > who wants me to know what I can do.

    Thanks John and NoStop I appreciate the information.

    Chuck

  9. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Chuck Tanner wrote:

    > I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to
    > know what the procedure would be using a third party partition software.
    > Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I
    > forget what the third one was for), but someone out there knows? I thank
    > you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.

    Typically, you'd make three or four partitions - different people like to do
    it in differing ways. You need a "root" partition, that contains the
    operating system, a "swap" partition that's (roughly) twice the size of the
    RAM in the machine, a "usr" partition that contains programs, and a "home"
    partition that houses everything else.

    You don't actually need to use a third-party partitioner - modern Linux
    distributions have very good partition tools that are run during the
    installation procedure. You have to pay close attention - you'll find that
    the drives have different, more systematic names in Linux - but the tools
    will allow you to choose how much of the drive you want to allocate to your
    new operating system. I would suggest a minimum of 5 Gb, but 10 Gb is
    better and gives you room to install extra software (remember, it's all
    free) and to experiment.

    HTH

    C.

  10. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Christopher Hunter schreef:
    > Chuck Tanner wrote:
    >
    >> I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started installing Ubuntu I wanted to
    >> know what the procedure would be using a third party partition software.
    >> Would I make three partitions? I.e. one for program, one for swap and (I
    >> forget what the third one was for), but someone out there knows? I thank
    >> you in advance. Any details would be appreciated.

    > Typically, you'd make three or four partitions - different people like to do
    > it in differing ways. You need a "root" partition, that contains the
    > operating system, a "swap" partition that's (roughly) twice the size of the
    > RAM in the machine, a "usr" partition that contains programs, and a "home"
    > partition that houses everything else.
    >
    > You don't actually need to use a third-party partitioner - modern Linux
    > distributions have very good partition tools that are run during the
    > installation procedure. You have to pay close attention - you'll find that
    > the drives have different, more systematic names in Linux - but the tools
    > will allow you to choose how much of the drive you want to allocate to your
    > new operating system. I would suggest a minimum of 5 Gb, but 10 Gb is
    > better and gives you room to install extra software (remember, it's all
    > free) and to experiment.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > C.

    And in case you're still reading here after dodging the trolls, a good
    'third party' partitioner is the Gparted Live CD.

    For clarities sake it's sometimes better to separate partitioning from
    installing, at least I like it that way.

  11. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:12:58 -0700, Chuck Tanner wrote:
    >
    >> I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started

    > Bugger off, n00b. Dip****s posting HTML formatted crap in a Usenet
    > newsgroup deserve no help. Learn some manners and come back later.

    That's a shyte reply.

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  12. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:26:44 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:12:58 -0700, Chuck Tanner wrote:
    >
    >> I am a "newbie" and prior to getting started

    > Bugger off, n00b. Dip****s posting HTML formatted crap in a Usenet
    > newsgroup deserve no help. Learn some manners and come back later.

    You're in the wrong group Dan C.
    comp.os.linux.advocacy is that way ------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

  13. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:37:48 -0400, John Connors wrote:

    >> Bugger off, n00b. Dip****s posting HTML formatted crap in a Usenet
    >> newsgroup deserve no help. Learn some manners and come back later.

    > You're in the wrong group Dan C.
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy is that way ------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Please point out where, in my post above, I did any Linux "advocating"...

    That's right, I didn't.

    Yet another drooling Win-droid troll...

  14. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:36:01 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:37:48 -0400, John Connors wrote:
    >
    >>> Bugger off, n00b. Dip****s posting HTML formatted crap in a Usenet
    >>> newsgroup deserve no help. Learn some manners and come back later.

    >> You're in the wrong group Dan C.
    >> comp.os.linux.advocacy is that way ------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    > Please point out where, in my post above, I did any Linux "advocating"...
    >
    > That's right, I didn't.

    Exactly!
    That is why I sent you over to comp.os.linux.advocacy.
    Why?
    Because there isn't any Linux advocacy over there either so you will fit in
    just fine!

    > Yet another drooling Win-droid troll...

    Ever hear of Wine?

    connie@linuxhome:~$ uname -a
    Linux linuxhome 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 22:56:21 UTC 2008 i686
    GNU/Linux
    connie@linuxhome:~$

    Like I said, comp.os.linux.advocacy is this way ----------->>>>>>>>

  15. Re: Partitioning "C" drive with partition software

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:50:21 -0400, John Connors wrote:

    >>> You're in the wrong group Dan C.
    >>> comp.os.linux.advocacy is that way ------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    >> Please point out where, in my post above, I did any Linux "advocating"...
    >> That's right, I didn't.

    > Exactly!
    > That is why I sent you over to comp.os.linux.advocacy.
    > Why?
    > Because there isn't any Linux advocacy over there either so you will fit in
    > just fine!

    Great logic there. Not.

    >> Yet another drooling Win-droid troll...

    > Ever hear of Wine?

    Yeah. It's for lamer Win-boys who are afraid to actually *use* Linux.
    Never tried it, myself.

    > connie@linuxhome:~$ uname -a
    > Linux linuxhome 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 22:56:21 UTC 2008 i686
    > GNU/Linux
    > connie@linuxhome:~$

    How impressive.

    danc@moria:~$ uname -a
    Linux moria 2.6.26.5-danc #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 9 11:43:13 CDT 2008 i686
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    danc@moria:~$

    Your kernel is quite behind the times. Oh, that's right. You're using
    Ubuntu...

    > Like I said, comp.os.linux.advocacy is this way ----------->>>>>>>>

    It's a sewer, and I don't post (or even read) there. Ever.

    The best Linux advocacy is made by those who actually *use* Linux to get
    things done. Like me.

    Keep working on that umbilical cord. You may make it, yet.