Linux distribution of TomTom home - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux distribution of TomTom home - Ubuntu ; I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home. (translated from Norwegian) Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

  1. Linux distribution of TomTom home

    I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    (translated from Norwegian)

    Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request
    you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it
    in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are
    Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of
    Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being
    inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream
    operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has
    excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please
    consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any
    help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

    Their answer:
    Dear costumer

    Thanks for getting in touch with us

    TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    to it if enough users wants a Linux version.

    TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    What kind of emulators have you tried?

    Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME
    version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's
    to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them
    that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users.

    With regards,
    Tomtom User support.

    My answer:

    I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the
    point of running Linux then...

  2. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    iceprince schreef:
    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    Great news.
    A was planning to contact them myself about this issue and this
    encourages me.

    I to tried the wine install with the same result.
    When googeling you can find that older versions did work.

    They could go the route Google did with Google Earth and Picassa and
    'just' contribute to wine, something that usually helps other
    applications as well.

  3. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    iceprince wrote:
    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    I hope they do offer Linux support. I was just looking at the TomTom
    devices last weekend. I would definitely consider getting one if the
    Linux support was there. The cost of the device itself seems reasonable,
    but add in the cost of a Mac or Vista machine and it becomes
    prohibitively expensive.

  4. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    vol30w60 wrote:
    > iceprince wrote:
    >> I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    >> tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    >> are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.
    >>

    > I hope they do offer Linux support. I was just looking at the TomTom
    > devices last weekend. I would definitely consider getting one if the
    > Linux support was there. The cost of the device itself seems reasonable,
    > but add in the cost of a Mac or Vista machine and it becomes
    > prohibitively expensive.

    I bet they will give in and make one of enough people asks..

    It should be possible to make a opensource/ java version, it seems that
    tomtom home is based on mozilla code

  5. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:45:03 +0200, iceprince wrote:

    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.
    >
    > (translated from Norwegian)
    >
    > Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    > I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request
    > you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it
    > in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are
    > Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of
    > Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being
    > inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream
    > operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has
    > excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please
    > consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any
    > help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
    >
    > Their answer:
    > Dear costumer
    >
    > Thanks for getting in touch with us
    >
    > TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    > version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    > to it if enough users wants a Linux version.
    >
    > TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    > What kind of emulators have you tried?
    >
    > Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME
    > version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's
    > to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them
    > that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users.
    >
    > With regards,
    > Tomtom User support.
    >

    > My answer:
    >

    > I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    > I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the
    > point of running Linux then...

    Cool. I just sent an email to TomTom to let them know that I will soon be
    buying a GPS system, and that Linux support is an important consideration
    in my buying decision.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  6. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On 2008-09-18, iceprince wrote:
    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    Keep an eye on http://www.openstreetmap.org/. They're looking to
    provide a fully FOSS alternative in the coming years.

    --
    -Toby

  7. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:45:03 +0200, iceprince wrote:

    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.
    >

    > Their answer:
    > Dear costumer
    >
    > Thanks for getting in touch with us
    >
    > TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    > version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    > to it if enough users wants a Linux version.

    Good luck - I've been posing the question for the last 18 months or so
    here in the UK. Not had a reply as helpful as that one though!

    I'm 'lucky' in that I have winXP installed so everything to do with TomTom
    sits in that and I boot into it once every couple of weeks to get mapshare
    updates.

  8. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:45:03 +0200, iceprince wrote:

    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.
    >
    > (translated from Norwegian)
    >
    > Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    > I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request
    > you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it
    > in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are
    > Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of
    > Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being
    > inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream
    > operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has
    > excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please
    > consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any
    > help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
    >
    > Their answer:
    > Dear costumer
    >
    > Thanks for getting in touch with us
    >
    > TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    > version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    > to it if enough users wants a Linux version.
    >
    > TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    > What kind of emulators have you tried?
    >
    > Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME
    > version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's
    > to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them
    > that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users.
    >
    > With regards,
    > Tomtom User support.
    >

    > My answer:
    >

    > I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    > I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the
    > point of running Linux then...

    I just finished looking at TomTom and Garmin's web sites describing their
    GPS products. TomTom uses Linux, and they make the source available, per
    the terms of the GPL. For Garmin, however,

    "Garmin grants you a limited license to use the
    software embedded in this device (the "Software")
    in binary executable form in the normal operation
    of the product. Title, ownership rights, and
    intellectual property rights in and to the Software
    remain in Garmin.

    "You acknowledge that the Software is the property
    of Garmin and is protected under the United
    States of America copyright laws and international
    copyright treaties. You further acknowledge that the
    structure, organization, and code of the Software
    are valuable trade secrets of Garmin and that the
    Software in source code form remains a valuable
    trade secret of Garmin. You agree not to decompile,
    disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse
    engineer, or reduce to human readable form the
    Software or any part thereof or create any derivative
    works based on the Software."

    (from "Set Up and Go!" for nuvi 200 series)

    Looks like I'll be buying my GPS from TomTom.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  9. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    In MarkA:

    [Snip...]

    > Looks like I'll be buying my GPS from TomTom.

    FWIW, you could not PAY me to agree to antiquated licensing, like Garmin's.

    Personally, I don't consider vendors with such terms. The products could be
    fatally flawed, eventually abandoned, and beyond even legal tinkering.

    And for the record: I support libre; I do NOT support "piracy" at all.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  10. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On 2008-09-18, iceprince wrote:
    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    Ms Penguin here. Look us Penguins are under cover and are all over the
    place. We ave our Americian Indians (Apache) on the servers in majority,
    which run the Internet. TCP/IP was stable long before Steve Jobs or Bill
    Gates did anything but exist.

    Modems, routers, NAS etc are all powered by Linux. Not only because it is
    free, but because it is adaptable.

    The EEEpc had Ms Widows going EEE! as she was caught with her pants down,
    while trying to discard them.

    > (translated from Norwegian)

    Oh good not from the US of A then

    [snip]

    > Their answer:
    > Dear costumer
    >
    > Thanks for getting in touch with us
    >
    > TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    > version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    > to it if enough users wants a Linux version.

    Hey, just release the code you have under the GPL, and you will be suprised
    what will happen.

    > TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    > What kind of emulators have you tried?

    FFS, none. Why should I.

    > Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME
    > version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's
    > to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them
    > that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users.

    Indeed it is not. Points for that. However lets move on

    > My answer:
    >

    > I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    > I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the
    > point of running Linux then...

    Exactly. Why should Linux bend over to do things the Ms Windows way.
    Penguins stand tall while on land, in the water they just fly.

    This is so interesting. Way back a chap called Richard Stallman had a
    printer whose printers drivers where faulty. He asked for the code so that
    he could fix the problem on the understanding that the printer company would
    receive the improved code in return. They refused the offer.

    Thanks to them GNU was conceived. Richard was so annoyed he decided that all
    software should be free, as in speech. By 1981 Linus threw in the final
    part, a kernel soruce.

    Seems to me that TomTom is rather like that printer corperation.

    History has shown that that those companie who have been helpful in the
    Linux community to develop Linux drivers have not gone bust.

    I am still amazed at the PC add ons which I buy which work well with Linux
    but neither the word, nor the logo appears on the box. Talk about so last
    century

  11. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    In <6jh95sF39b7uU1@mid.individual.net> Gordon:

    Ms. Penguin Has A Typo: Linus released his kernel source in 1991:

    [Snip...]

    > By 1981 Linus threw in the final part, a kernel

    ^^^^___________1991

    And I think it's Garmin, not TomTom, that's acting all anal about code:

    [Snip...]

    > Seems to me that TomTom is rather like that printer corperation.

    ^^^^^^__________Garmin

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  12. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On 2008-09-18, MarkA hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > "You acknowledge that the Software is the property
    > of Garmin and is protected under the United
    > States of America copyright laws and international
    > copyright treaties. You further acknowledge that the
    > structure, organization, and code of the Software
    > are valuable trade secrets of Garmin and that the
    > Software in source code form remains a valuable
    > trade secret of Garmin. You agree not to decompile,
    > disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse
    > engineer, or reduce to human readable form the
    > Software or any part thereof or create any derivative
    > works based on the Software."
    >
    > (from "Set Up and Go!" for nuvi 200 series)
    >
    > Looks like I'll be buying my GPS from TomTom.

    Thanks for pointing this out, I'll spread the word among my
    co-workers some of whom considering buying such items.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  13. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    iceprince wrote:
    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.
    >
    > (translated from Norwegian)
    >
    > Customer (XXXXXXX) 09/17/2008 03:05 PM
    > I am not complaining, or bashing. However I would respectfully request
    > you please begin Linux support for TomTom Home. I can't seem to run it
    > in Wine, or in windows emulators. I understand TomTom's themselves are
    > Linux based. Myself, I run Ubuntu Linux. With the dissatisfaction of
    > Vista, XP becoming obsolete, and the price of either of them being
    > inhibitive(and ridiculous); Linux is gaining popularity as a mainstream
    > operating system. Ubuntu Linux especially since it is free, and has
    > excellent support via web based forums. Once again, would you please
    > consider creating a Linux distribution of TomTom home. If you need any
    > help or advice please feel free to contact the thousands of programmers at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
    >
    > Their answer:
    > Dear costumer
    >
    > Thanks for getting in touch with us
    >
    > TomTom gets more and more inquiry's if there will be made a TomTom HOME
    > version for Linux soon. It is not currently planned, but they are open
    > to it if enough users wants a Linux version.
    >
    > TomTom HOME runs under wine, but it cannot detect the device.
    > What kind of emulators have you tried?
    >
    > Please encourage more Linux users to notify us that a TomTom HOME
    > version should be made. My colleges here at TomTom relays the inquiry's
    > to me and i will relay them to the management and try to convince them
    > that it is not good costumer support to ignore Linux users.
    >
    > With regards,
    > Tomtom User support.
    >

    > My answer:
    >

    > I have tried Wine, and it does not detect the device.
    > I am told that it works good with VirtualBox running XP, but whats the
    > point of running Linux then...

    forum posts :
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097595.0

  14. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    In article ,
    iceprince wrote:

    > I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    > tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    > are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    What's weird is that you'd find it weird, since the fact that it runs
    Linux neither makes it easier to provide Linux desktop support nor
    harder to provide Linux desktop support for it. What software runs on
    the device, hidden away behind a USB interface, is almost completely
    irrelevant when it comes to writing desktop software to talk to that
    device.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    * Tim Smith wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > In article ,
    > iceprince wrote:
    >
    >> I contacted tomtom because i feel that it is somewhat weird that
    >> tomtoms's GPS/navigation runs Linux, but the only software that exists
    >> are for mac or window$. It is called Tomtom Home.

    > What's weird is that you'd find it weird, since the fact that it runs
    > Linux neither makes it easier to provide Linux desktop support nor
    > harder to provide Linux desktop support for it. What software runs on
    > the device, hidden away behind a USB interface, is almost completely
    > irrelevant when it comes to writing desktop software to talk to that
    > device.

    Since it would seem logical that same guys that develop the software also
    develop ways to access said software from the desktop, I think its weird
    that you think its weird that a linux based device isnt expected by its
    consumers to be easily accessible via a Linux Desktop.

    Any Linux based device, embedded or otherwise, that is not accessible via
    the linux desktop (but is accessible via That Other Desktop) has performed
    a diservice to the consumer IMO.

    --
    David

  16. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:43:41 GMT, SINNER wrote:

    > Any Linux based device, embedded or otherwise, that is not accessible via
    > the linux desktop (but is accessible via That Other Desktop) has performed
    > a diservice to the consumer IMO.

    The file system on the TomTom device is accessable on the desktop. Its the
    update path, etc. that is not. Other than that I must agree.

  17. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    "teabag" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:43:41 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    >

    >> Any Linux based device, embedded or otherwise, that is not accessible via
    >> the linux desktop (but is accessible via That Other Desktop) has
    >> performed
    >> a diservice to the consumer IMO.

    > The file system on the TomTom device is accessable on the desktop. Its the
    > update path, etc. that is not. Other than that I must agree.

    Most consumers probably never connect their tomtom to a computer so its
    hardly a disservice.
    I am sure they can find someone with windows to do the odd update for them.
    I doubt if they even now what the quickfix updates do so they aren't going
    to miss them.
    I doubt if most will ever update the maps, at less than 100 for a new
    tomtom it isn't worth paying 40 for maps.

  18. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:55:01 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "teabag" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:43:41 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    >>

    >>> Any Linux based device, embedded or otherwise, that is not accessible via
    >>> the linux desktop (but is accessible via That Other Desktop) has
    >>> performed
    >>> a diservice to the consumer IMO.

    >> The file system on the TomTom device is accessable on the desktop. Its the
    >> update path, etc. that is not. Other than that I must agree.

    > Most consumers probably never connect their tomtom to a computer so its
    > hardly a disservice.
    > I am sure they can find someone with windows to do the odd update for them.
    > I doubt if they even now what the quickfix updates do so they aren't going
    > to miss them.
    > I doubt if most will ever update the maps, at less than 100 for a new
    > tomtom it isn't worth paying 40 for maps.

    You may be behind the times. On Windows machine: plugg TomTom into USB
    port; first time you will be asked if you want to install TomTom Home;
    after installing connct to computer click button to download map revisions
    and satel;ite positions. No cost!

  19. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    * dennis@home wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "teabag" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:43:41 GMT, SINNER wrote:
    >>

    >>> Any Linux based device, embedded or otherwise, that is not
    >>> accessible via the linux desktop (but is accessible via That Other
    >>> Desktop) has performed
    >>> a diservice to the consumer IMO.

    >> The file system on the TomTom device is accessable on the desktop.
    >> Its the update path, etc. that is not. Other than that I must agree.

    > Most consumers probably never connect their tomtom to a computer so
    > its hardly a disservice.

    Silly assumption. If you buy one with 2008 maps and the 2009 maps are now
    available, there is no other way to upgrade the device. I had this exact
    scenario when I purchased mine.

    --
    David

  20. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    In SINNER:

    [Snip...]

    > Silly assumption

    True, but typical M$ Fanbois Extraordinaire "dennis" astroturfing.