Linux distribution of TomTom home - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux distribution of TomTom home - Ubuntu ; On 2008-09-25, Christopher Hunter wrote: > Bruce Sinclair wrote: > >> I don't. Nothing is that urgent. Ever. > > In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and > late or non-attendance is subject to very ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59

  1. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    On 2008-09-25, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> I don't. Nothing is that urgent. Ever.

    > In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and
    > late or non-attendance is subject to very severe penalty payments.

    Urgent and important. Two different things.

  2. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >> Go on then provide the figures of how many tomtoms have been sold vs. how
    >> many are registered with tomtom home.

    > It's common sense....

    How is it common sense?
    Most of the population don't have a computer, maybe you think they don't buy
    tomtoms?

    Common sense is required to realise that you are not a representative sample
    which you appear to lack.

  3. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    dennis@home wrote:
    > They aren't very good at putting the fixes in either.
    > Some things you can't fix with the primitive editor, like:

    > splitting a road into more segments when they have got the names wrong
    > adding in a new estate as it will only let you add roads to existing roads

    You seem to be implying you've managed to add roads. I can't get mine
    to let me add any roads at all.

    Strangely, the interface allows me to tell it that a road junction has
    been closed but not that there's now a link road to another junction
    one mile further down the road. (Wetherby, UK, anyone?)

    Curious,
    Chris

  4. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    "Chris Davies" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >> They aren't very good at putting the fixes in either.
    >> Some things you can't fix with the primitive editor, like:

    >> splitting a road into more segments when they have got the names wrong
    >> adding in a new estate as it will only let you add roads to existing
    >> roads

    > You seem to be implying you've managed to add roads. I can't get mine
    > to let me add any roads at all.

    I have put in reports of new roads and a few of them have appeared later on.
    On the other hand I have reported new housing estates but they don't appear
    to bother with them.

    There is one road where they have the name wrong, its actually two roads not
    one but it will not allow me to split it.
    Likewise there is one road where half of it is now one way, but I can't
    split it.

    > Strangely, the interface allows me to tell it that a road junction has
    > been closed but not that there's now a link road to another junction
    > one mile further down the road. (Wetherby, UK, anyone?)
    >
    > Curious,
    > Chris

  5. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:10:37 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

    > Strangely, the interface allows me to tell it that a road junction has
    > been closed but not that there's now a link road to another junction
    > one mile further down the road. (Wetherby, UK, anyone?)

    Hah! I tried that one as well . . . and had the same success as you.

  6. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    In article <6k0r49F5af63U1@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> I don't. Nothing is that urgent. Ever.

    >In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and
    >late or non-attendance is subject to very severe penalty payments.

    All that requires is some organisation ... not a cell phone

    >> MS have said they would much rather sell a subscription to s/w than
    >> 'licences' for s/w. I submit that, if they think it's a good idea for
    >> them, it's almost certainly a really bad idea for customers. It comes down
    >> to control again and I ain't surrendering any more of mine..

    >MS have tried "subscription" in some territories, and it proved to be a
    >complete disaster. Everybody got their "free" copy of Windows and Office,
    >paid the first (cheap) month's subscription to activate it, then refused to
    >pay any more. It looked like a "Good Deal" - Windows and Office just for a
    >minimal, one-off payment! Of course, this prevented them downloading any
    >updates, which in turn led to a huge number of unpatched machines which
    >fell prey to every new malware strain that was out there.
    >
    >This "business model" actually turned out to be a "Good Thing" for FOSS, as
    >the unpatched Windows rapidly became even more unreliable (as if that was
    >possible!), and business users - in particular - quickly stopped using the
    >MS junk! MS quickly abandoned the experiment.

    So far. I'm sure it's still on their agenda.

  7. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    In article <6k11geF5ddsoU2@mid.individual.net>, Gordon wrote:
    >On 2008-09-25, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't. Nothing is that urgent. Ever.

    >> In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and
    >> late or non-attendance is subject to very severe penalty payments.
    >>

    >Urgent and important. Two different things.

    Well spotted that man ! A bit like personal and important ... another place
    where distinctions are rearely drawn.

  8. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    In article , Joe wrote:
    >On 2008-09-25, Bruce Sinclair
    > wrote:
    >> In article , Joe

    > wrote:

    >>>Don't have kids? Don't have a car?

    >> Nope and yep. Even if the first was yep, nothing is that urgent.

    >Our priorities are clearly different...

    Some people have their priorities seriously screwed up that's for certain

    >>>My cell phone is always with me for emergencies. If the car breaks
    >>>down at 2AM, or in a remote area, I don't want to have to hoof it
    >>>looking for a phone. And with the kids, there is plenty of reason to
    >>>have one. Kids get hurt at school, need to be transported to the
    >>>hospital, but services cannot be done until they reach mom or dad to
    >>>sign the forms... I'd rather not take the chance of being
    >>>unreachable...

    >> Hmmm ... how did we ever survive before cell phones and bottled water
    >> I wonder .

    >We survived, but that doesn't mean things were better... Hell, we
    >survived before there were cars, electricity, running water, and a
    >whole spate of other modern conveniences. That doesn't mean I'd want
    >to go back to that...

    True ... and yet, we still might.
    Some things we should never do (bottled water is certainly in that
    category - the triumph of marketing over reality). Some things we should do
    occasionally - and I put cell phones in that category. Essential ? no.
    Food, shelter, and a few other things are essential. All the rest is fluff.

    I note also that we are really bad at assessing risk in pretty much all
    places. One bad thing happens and people scream for laws to prevent it. The
    sad thing is, they usually get them.

  9. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>> Nothing is that urgent. Ever.

    >>In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and
    >>late or non-attendance is subject to very severe penalty payments.

    > All that requires is some organisation ... not a cell phone

    Unfortunately, mobile phones are an evil necessity in my line of business.
    I can assure you that *no* amount of "organisation" could handle the
    requirements for urgent communication. Much of what we're doing is safety
    critical, and these safety related issues can crop up without even a
    moment's notice - hence the need for instant, mobile communication.

    C.

  10. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > True ... and yet, we still might.
    > Some things we should never do (bottled water is certainly in that
    > category - the triumph of marketing over reality). Some things we should do
    > occasionally - and I put cell phones in that category. Essential ? no.
    > Food, shelter, and a few other things are essential. All the rest is fluff.

    Finally, someone who gets IT. My daughter drinks distilled water for
    steam irons ever since it came out that some bottled water is actually
    filtered tap water. Cell phones are fluff too, and before them I had a
    CB in my car and could always find someone to help.
    Pre-CB for me was in the 1960's and I usually had a car full of friends
    for emergency pushing duty.
    > I note also that we are really bad at assessing risk in pretty much all
    > places. One bad thing happens and people scream for laws to prevent it. The
    > sad thing is, they usually get them.

    Kind of reminds me of the post 9/11 days now that Herr Bush is chewing
    through the Constitution.
    Patriot Act = total farce aimed at depriving people of privacy.
    Too many things Bush did to actually name them.
    I was riding past Beale AFB (where the remaining SR-71 blackbirds are) a
    few years back and took some pictures.
    Before I could get on my bicycle and get gone, 2 gorillas in $3,000
    suits stopped me and demanded a look at my camera, then questioned the
    Hell out of me, and called a county sheriff to take me and my bike back
    home.
    Free country my ass.
    Bill Baka

  11. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> True ... and yet, we still might.
    >> Some things we should never do (bottled water is certainly in that
    >> category - the triumph of marketing over reality). Some things we should
    >> do
    >> occasionally - and I put cell phones in that category. Essential ? no.
    >> Food, shelter, and a few other things are essential. All the rest is
    >> fluff.
    >>

    > Finally, someone who gets IT. My daughter drinks distilled water for
    > steam irons ever since it came out that some bottled water is actually
    > filtered tap water. Cell phones are fluff too, and before them I had a
    > CB in my car and could always find someone to help.
    > Pre-CB for me was in the 1960's and I usually had a car full of friends
    > for emergency pushing duty.
    >> I note also that we are really bad at assessing risk in pretty much all
    >> places. One bad thing happens and people scream for laws to prevent it.
    >> The
    >> sad thing is, they usually get them.
    >>

    > Kind of reminds me of the post 9/11 days now that Herr Bush is chewing
    > through the Constitution.
    > Patriot Act = total farce aimed at depriving people of privacy.
    > Too many things Bush did to actually name them.
    > I was riding past Beale AFB (where the remaining SR-71 blackbirds are) a
    > few years back and took some pictures.
    > Before I could get on my bicycle and get gone, 2 gorillas in $3,000
    > suits stopped me and demanded a look at my camera, then questioned the
    > Hell out of me, and called a county sheriff to take me and my bike back
    > home.
    > Free country my ass.
    > Bill Baka

    You probably look like a towel head !
    White guys with blue eyes, it no happens to them !
    Thank god I'm white !
    If your Mexican , soon they will shoot on site.
    Ya f-ing minkey !

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  12. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:18:34 -0400, D. Eth wrote:

    > "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    >> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> True ... and yet, we still might.
    >>> Some things we should never do (bottled water is certainly in that
    >>> category - the triumph of marketing over reality). Some things we should
    >>> do
    >>> occasionally - and I put cell phones in that category. Essential ? no.
    >>> Food, shelter, and a few other things are essential. All the rest is
    >>> fluff.
    >>>

    >> Finally, someone who gets IT. My daughter drinks distilled water for
    >> steam irons ever since it came out that some bottled water is actually
    >> filtered tap water. Cell phones are fluff too, and before them I had a
    >> CB in my car and could always find someone to help.
    >> Pre-CB for me was in the 1960's and I usually had a car full of friends
    >> for emergency pushing duty.
    >>> I note also that we are really bad at assessing risk in pretty much all
    >>> places. One bad thing happens and people scream for laws to prevent it.
    >>> The
    >>> sad thing is, they usually get them.
    >>>

    >> Kind of reminds me of the post 9/11 days now that Herr Bush is chewing
    >> through the Constitution.
    >> Patriot Act = total farce aimed at depriving people of privacy.
    >> Too many things Bush did to actually name them.
    >> I was riding past Beale AFB (where the remaining SR-71 blackbirds are) a
    >> few years back and took some pictures.
    >> Before I could get on my bicycle and get gone, 2 gorillas in $3,000
    >> suits stopped me and demanded a look at my camera, then questioned the
    >> Hell out of me, and called a county sheriff to take me and my bike back
    >> home.
    >> Free country my ass.
    >> Bill Baka
    >>

    > You probably look like a towel head !
    > White guys with blue eyes, it no happens to them !
    > Thank god I'm white !
    > If your Mexican , soon they will shoot on site.
    > Ya f-ing minkey !

    You should try living life as a Jew.
    They have been trying to exterminate us for 2000 or more years.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    In article <6kah65F537q6U2@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:

    >>>In my job, there certainly is! Everything we do is time-constrained, and
    >>>late or non-attendance is subject to very severe penalty payments.

    >> All that requires is some organisation ... not a cell phone

    >Unfortunately, mobile phones are an evil necessity in my line of business.
    >I can assure you that *no* amount of "organisation" could handle the
    >requirements for urgent communication. Much of what we're doing is safety
    >critical, and these safety related issues can crop up without even a
    >moment's notice - hence the need for instant, mobile communication.

    ... which comes back to my 'poor risk management' comment in the previous
    post

  14. Re: Linux distribution of TomTom home

    news:1qnsi9okayom0$.7kwk58ddkmhi$.dlg@40tude.net.. .

    I haven't had a shot at it.
    Give me 3 days.
    : D

    --
    Ens causa sui
    Fit caedes omnibus locis

  15. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <6kah65F537q6U2@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv
    > wrote:

    >>> All that requires is some organisation ... not a cell phone

    >>Unfortunately, mobile phones are an evil necessity in my line of business.
    >>I can assure you that *no* amount of "organisation" could handle the
    >>requirements for urgent communication. Much of what we're doing is safety
    >>critical, and these safety related issues can crop up without even a
    >>moment's notice - hence the need for instant, mobile communication.

    > .. which comes back to my 'poor risk management' comment in the previous
    > post

    ....which is not in the slightest applicable in our game!

    Some of our work is determined by the vagaries of the weather (that can be
    mitigated somewhat by good forecasting, but do /you/ trust weather
    forecasts?), more of our work involves dealing with road accidents (which
    are largely unpredictable), sometimes they involve data communications
    faults or failures and so on.

    /Any/ of the situations we deal could prove to be lethal, so very rapid
    attendance by competent staff is essential. Communications are mostly best
    served by a combination of mobile phones and trunked digital PMR.

    C.

  16. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >

    >> In article <6kah65F537q6U2@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv
    >> wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately, mobile phones are an evil necessity in my line of business.
    >>> I can assure you that *no* amount of "organisation" could handle the
    >>> requirements for urgent communication. Much of what we're doing is safety
    >>> critical, and these safety related issues can crop up without even a
    >>> moment's notice - hence the need for instant, mobile communication.
    >>>

    >> .. which comes back to my 'poor risk management' comment in the previous
    >> post
    >>

    > ...which is not in the slightest applicable in our game!
    >
    > Some of our work is determined by the vagaries of the weather (that can be
    > mitigated somewhat by good forecasting, but do /you/ trust weather
    > forecasts?), more of our work involves dealing with road accidents (which
    > are largely unpredictable), sometimes they involve data communications
    > faults or failures and so on.
    >
    > /Any/ of the situations we deal could prove to be lethal, so very rapid
    > attendance by competent staff is essential. Communications are mostly best
    > served by a combination of mobile phones and trunked digital PMR.
    >
    > C.

    Do you ever go out of range or are you pretty much a city guy.
    I go places where nothing short of an Iridium phone will work and those
    are expensive enough to **only** use for emergencies. Yes they are
    analog bricks since Motorola put up the satellites before there was a
    cell tower on every building. The military is the main user right now.
    Bill Baka

  17. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    In article <6kberhF6s452U1@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <6kah65F537q6U2@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv
    >> wrote:

    >>>Unfortunately, mobile phones are an evil necessity in my line of business.
    >>>I can assure you that *no* amount of "organisation" could handle the
    >>>requirements for urgent communication. Much of what we're doing is safety
    >>>critical, and these safety related issues can crop up without even a
    >>>moment's notice - hence the need for instant, mobile communication.

    >> .. which comes back to my 'poor risk management' comment in the previous
    >> post

    >....which is not in the slightest applicable in our game!

    Possibly ... but I've yet to find an area in which it isn't.

    >Some of our work is determined by the vagaries of the weather (that can be
    >mitigated somewhat by good forecasting, but do /you/ trust weather
    >forecasts?), more of our work involves dealing with road accidents (which
    >are largely unpredictable), sometimes they involve data communications
    >faults or failures and so on.

    Sure. But there will always be weather. Try being a farmer for a while to
    see what that can mean.

    >/Any/ of the situations we deal could prove to be lethal, so very rapid
    >attendance by competent staff is essential. Communications are mostly best
    >served by a combination of mobile phones and trunked digital PMR.

    Risk/reward again. Could prove fatal. But how often ? Should we in fact
    just let Darwin have his head ?
    A cell phone might be "better", but I defy anyone to come up with any use
    where they are 'essential'. Values of essential may vary of course.

  18. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > A cell phone might be "better", but I defy anyone to come up with any use
    > where they are 'essential'. Values of essential may vary of course.

    If we continue this by email, I'll explain the situation to you, and you'll
    recognise that our mobile phones are /essential/ - there is no other
    option! cehunter@gb-xNOSPAM.org

    C.

  19. Re: Linux distribution of Tom Tom home

    In article <6kdu7gF7e9utU1@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> A cell phone might be "better", but I defy anyone to come up with any use
    >> where they are 'essential'. Values of essential may vary of course.

    >If we continue this by email, I'll explain the situation to you, and you'll
    >recognise that our mobile phones are /essential/ - there is no other
    >option! cehunter@gb-xNOSPAM.org

    Thanks but no. As I said, values may vary and yours obviously does. I'm
    happy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3