Installed a Xubuntu client - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installed a Xubuntu client - Ubuntu ; I connected a Xubuntu 8.04.1 client in a Windows intranet. Why cannot connect to my web server? I can ping the address of the web server with success, but when I try to connect it with Firefox I get http://localhost ...

  1. Installed a Xubuntu client

    I connected a Xubuntu 8.04.1 client in a Windows intranet.
    Why cannot connect to my web server?
    I can ping the address of the web server with success, but when I try to
    connect it with Firefox I get http://localhost in the address bar and
    "Failed to Connect" error message of the browser.

    Warning: when I say Web Server, is a simple XP Pro SP3 machine with a
    IIS 5.1 server running on it. But there's no DNS server running
    anywhere. I simply put the address of the machine with IIS on the
    Xubuntu client and ... error!

    Help me, please.

  2. Re: Installed a Xubuntu client

    * Barbiturico76 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I connected a Xubuntu 8.04.1 client in a Windows intranet.
    > Why cannot connect to my web server?
    > I can ping the address of the web server with success, but when I try to
    > connect it with Firefox I get http://localhost in the address bar and
    > "Failed to Connect" error message of the browser.
    >
    > Warning: when I say Web Server, is a simple XP Pro SP3 machine with a
    > IIS 5.1 server running on it. But there's no DNS server running
    > anywhere. I simply put the address of the machine with IIS on the
    > Xubuntu client and ... error!
    >
    > Help me, please.

    Can you ping the windows box by IP?

    --
    David

  3. Re: Installed a Xubuntu client

    On 09/17/2008 11:32 AM SINNER scribbled:

    > * Barbiturico76 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> I connected a Xubuntu 8.04.1 client in a Windows intranet.
    >> Why cannot connect to my web server?
    >> I can ping the address of the web server with success, but when I try to
    >> connect it with Firefox I get http://localhost in the address bar and
    >> "Failed to Connect" error message of the browser.
    >>
    >> Warning: when I say Web Server, is a simple XP Pro SP3 machine with a
    >> IIS 5.1 server running on it. But there's no DNS server running
    >> anywhere. I simply put the address of the machine with IIS on the
    >> Xubuntu client and ... error!
    >>
    >> Help me, please.
    >>

    > Can you ping the windows box by IP?

    sounds like a hosts file problem but I ain't that up on Ubuntu yet to
    know the ins and outs of said hosts file with linux...

  4. Re: Installed a Xubuntu client

    On 2008-09-17, jrg hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 09/17/2008 11:32 AM SINNER scribbled:
    >
    >> * Barbiturico76 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> I connected a Xubuntu 8.04.1 client in a Windows intranet.
    >>> Why cannot connect to my web server?
    >>> I can ping the address of the web server with success, but when I try to
    >>> connect it with Firefox I get http://localhost in the address bar and
    >>> "Failed to Connect" error message of the browser.
    >>>
    >>> Warning: when I say Web Server, is a simple XP Pro SP3 machine with a
    >>> IIS 5.1 server running on it. But there's no DNS server running
    >>> anywhere. I simply put the address of the machine with IIS on the
    >>> Xubuntu client and ... error!
    >>>
    >>> Help me, please.
    >>>

    >> Can you ping the windows box by IP?
    >>

    > sounds like a hosts file problem but I ain't that up on Ubuntu yet to
    > know the ins and outs of said hosts file with linux...

    it would be these files:

    /etc/host.conf
    /etc/hostname
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/hosts.allow
    /etc/hosts.deny

    can only be edited as superuser i.e. "sudo".

    My last *local* network was up and running 3 years ago (Debian
    proper) , so I'm not
    sure how much things have changed in the mean-time.

    -----------
    # /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
    # See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and hosts_options(5).
    #
    # Example: ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
    # ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
    #
    # If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
    # daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
    # addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper, as well as for
    # rpc.mountd (the NFS mount daemon). See portmap(8) and rpc.mountd(8)
    # for further information.
    #
    ----------
    # /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
    # See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and hosts_options(5).
    #
    # Example: ALL: some.host.name, .some.domain
    # ALL EXCEPT in.fingerd: other.host.name, .other.domain
    #
    # If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "portmap" for the
    # daemon name. Remember that you can only use the keyword "ALL" and IP
    # addresses (NOT host or domain names) for the portmapper, as well as for
    # rpc.mountd (the NFS mount daemon). See portmap(8) and rpc.mountd(8)
    # for further information.
    #
    # The PARANOID wildcard matches any host whose name does not match its
    # address.

    # You may wish to enable this to ensure any programs that don't
    # validate looked up hostnames still leave understandable logs. In past
    # versions of Debian this has been the default.
    # ALL: PARANOID

    ----

    /etc/host.conf

    # The "order" line is only used by old versions of the C library.
    order hosts,bind
    multi on

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

+ Reply to Thread