Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu ; My personal linux laptop broke. After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a Fujitsu S6510. This one, is in fact certified ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    My personal linux laptop broke.

    After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    Fujitsu S6510.

    This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.

    I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus14986 wrote:

    > My personal linux laptop broke.
    >
    > After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    > of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    > Fujitsu S6510.
    >
    > This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    > hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.
    >
    > I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.

    Please do.
    I at least would be interested.

    Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but one can take notes as one goes at
    very little time in cost, and much better than relying on memory:-)

  3. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, bbgruff wrote:
    > Ignoramus14986 wrote:
    >
    >> My personal linux laptop broke.
    >>
    >> After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    >> of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    >> Fujitsu S6510.
    >>
    >> This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    >> hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.
    >>
    >> I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.

    > Please do.
    > I at least would be interested.
    >
    > Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but one can take notes as one goes at
    > very little time in cost, and much better than relying on memory:-)

    I will keep a log as I go. As most hardware seems to be Intel based,
    and Atheros, I think that it should all work. I will post it on my
    website.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-16, Ignoramus14986 wrote:

    > After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    > of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    > Fujitsu S6510.
    >
    > This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    > hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.

    Good luck with this. I wrestled with an older laptop, a Latitude D520,
    for quite some time before achieving success. A major sticking point was
    the wireless chip which is a BCM 4312 (rev 01). I guess another sticking
    point was my pig-headed desire to run Slackware on the laptop thus
    requiring a lot of manual configuration :-).

    I will be interested to hear how you get on.

    Andrew
    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  5. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus14986 schreef:
    > My personal linux laptop broke.
    >
    > After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    > of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    > Fujitsu S6510.
    >
    > This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    > hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.
    >
    > I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.

    It won't surprise me when installing Ubuntu will a lot quicker and also
    easier than installing Windows from a generic (non OEM) CD.

  6. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Ignoramus14986 schreef:
    >> My personal linux laptop broke.
    >>
    >> After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    >> of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    >> Fujitsu S6510.
    >>
    >> This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    >> hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.
    >>
    >> I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.

    > It won't surprise me when installing Ubuntu will a lot quicker and also
    > easier than installing Windows from a generic (non OEM) CD.

    I would not know, personally. I have not installed Windows in a long
    time.

    Just yesterday I tried something. I bought a new wifi PCMCIA card. I
    inserted it into that old Fujitsu laptop, expecting to do some
    setup. Instead, the laptop recognized the card and connected to my
    wifi network right away. No setup was needed.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * andrew peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]

    And restored.

    > Good luck with this. I wrestled with an older laptop, a Latitude D520,
    > for quite some time before achieving success. A major sticking point was
    > the wireless chip which is a BCM 4312 (rev 01).

    That issue is /much/ improved in the latest kernels, with iwlwifi.

    > I guess another sticking point was my pig-headed desire to run
    > Slackware on the laptop thus requiring a lot of manual configuration

    I tried Slackware, and it was pretty slick, with some stuff surprisingly
    easy to configure. But I've gotten lazy with Debian being so good at
    getting the dependencies.

    --
    First as to speech. That privilege rests upon the premise that
    there is no proposition so uniformly acknowledged that it may not be

  8. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >> Ignoramus14986 schreef:
    >>> My personal linux laptop broke.
    >>>
    >>> After much success with an old POS Fujitsu B2120 laptop, with 256 MB
    >>> of RAM, running Ubuntu on it, (my kid's laptop), I decided to buy a
    >>> Fujitsu S6510.
    >>>
    >>> This one, is in fact certified by SUSE, and has intel hardware, so I
    >>> hope that installing Ubuntu 8.04 should not be too much trouble.
    >>>
    >>> I will post an update once I install Ubuntu on it.

    >> It won't surprise me when installing Ubuntu will a lot quicker and also
    >> easier than installing Windows from a generic (non OEM) CD.

    > I would not know, personally. I have not installed Windows in a long
    > time.
    >
    > Just yesterday I tried something. I bought a new wifi PCMCIA card. I
    > inserted it into that old Fujitsu laptop, expecting to do some
    > setup. Instead, the laptop recognized the card and connected to my
    > wifi network right away. No setup was needed.

    You sound like you were surprised. The Linux driver system is much
    better than windows when the drivers exist, work and are stable.

    --
    "The fact that they have been selling alpha HW which cant even make a
    phone call? That sounds like successful to me if the aim was to get some

  9. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> It won't surprise me when installing Ubuntu will a lot quicker and also
    >>> easier than installing Windows from a generic (non OEM) CD.

    >> I would not know, personally. I have not installed Windows in a long
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Just yesterday I tried something. I bought a new wifi PCMCIA card. I
    >> inserted it into that old Fujitsu laptop, expecting to do some
    >> setup. Instead, the laptop recognized the card and connected to my
    >> wifi network right away. No setup was needed.

    > You sound like you were surprised. The Linux driver system is much
    > better than windows when the drivers exist, work and are stable.

    I was surprised, yes. To add to this, though, I purposely bought a
    card described as "best supported by Linux".

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> I would not know, personally. I have not installed Windows in a long
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> Just yesterday I tried something. I bought a new wifi PCMCIA card. I
    >>> inserted it into that old Fujitsu laptop, expecting to do some
    >>> setup. Instead, the laptop recognized the card and connected to my
    >>> wifi network right away. No setup was needed.

    >> You sound like you were surprised. The Linux driver system is much
    >> better than windows when the drivers exist, work and are stable.
    >>

    > I was surprised, yes. To add to this, though, I purposely bought a
    > card described as "best supported by Linux".

    So why were you so surprised it worked?!?!?

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  11. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> You sound like you were surprised. The Linux driver system is much
    >>> better than windows when the drivers exist, work and are stable.
    >>>

    >> I was surprised, yes. To add to this, though, I purposely bought a
    >> card described as "best supported by Linux".

    > So why were you so surprised it worked?!?!?

    I am not surprised that it worked, I was surprised that I did not have
    to configure anything. Ubuntu configured everything for me.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> I was surprised, yes. To add to this, though, I purposely bought a
    >>> card described as "best supported by Linux".

    >> So why were you so surprised it worked?!?!?
    >>

    > I am not surprised that it worked, I was surprised that I did not have
    > to configure anything. Ubuntu configured everything for me.

    Yes, Linux is good at guessing default gateway etc. But not better than
    Windows. I'm assuming you have a router that was either open or already
    "mac-tied" to that machine in order to allow a connection. Was it
    connected via wireless with another card before.

    Highly recommended:

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    --
    "I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

  13. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Linonut wrote:
    > * andrew peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Good luck with this. I wrestled with an older laptop, a Latitude D520,
    >> for quite some time before achieving success. A major sticking point was
    >> the wireless chip which is a BCM 4312 (rev 01).

    > That issue is /much/ improved in the latest kernels, with iwlwifi.

    Certainly. This particular chip still gave a little trouble but my new
    best friend wicd has given me great success.

    >> I guess another sticking point was my pig-headed desire to run
    >> Slackware on the laptop thus requiring a lot of manual configuration

    > I tried Slackware, and it was pretty slick, with some stuff surprisingly
    > easy to configure. But I've gotten lazy with Debian being so good at
    > getting the dependencies.

    Once the hard work is done, as it has been with this laptop, the system
    is almost bullet-proof.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  14. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> So why were you so surprised it worked?!?!?
    >>>

    >> I am not surprised that it worked, I was surprised that I did not have
    >> to configure anything. Ubuntu configured everything for me.

    > Yes, Linux is good at guessing default gateway etc. But not better than
    > Windows. I'm assuming you have a router that was either open or already
    > "mac-tied" to that machine in order to allow a connection. Was it
    > connected via wireless with another card before.

    Yes, it was with another card. I use WPA.

    > Highly recommended:
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  15. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >>> I am not surprised that it worked, I was surprised that I did not have
    >>> to configure anything. Ubuntu configured everything for me.

    >> Yes, Linux is good at guessing default gateway etc. But not better than
    >> Windows. I'm assuming you have a router that was either open or already
    >> "mac-tied" to that machine in order to allow a connection. Was it
    >> connected via wireless with another card before.

    > Yes, it was with another card. I use WPA.

    Good idea. Stay away from WEP.

  16. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >
    > Highly recommended:
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.

    So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  17. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>
    >> Highly recommended:
    >>
    >> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    > to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    > times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    > cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    > like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    > example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >
    > So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    Everything from what I can see. I installed it and it just works. Easy
    to configure. Works great with roaming.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  18. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 wrote:

    >> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    > So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    WICD tends to work, whereas NM is probably best renamed "Network Mangler".
    WICD handles all my networking requirements (some of my laptops get used in
    several differing environments, sometimes wired, sometimes wireless and
    sometimes connected by mobile phone. WICD handles all these eventualities
    with ease.

    C.

  19. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * andrew peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-09-17, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> That issue is /much/ improved in the latest kernels, with iwlwifi.

    > Certainly. This particular chip still gave a little trouble but my new
    > best friend wicd has given me great success.

    I've heard a lot about wicd. However, in Debian lenny, Network Manager
    has given my precious little trouble, so I haven't bothered to find the
    deb or source for wicd and install it.

    > Once the hard work is done, as it has been with this laptop, the system
    > is almost bullet-proof.

    That's the thing Windows fans just don't get about Linux. It might have
    some hard spots in configuration, but it is stable once you get it
    right.

    --
    I had a friend stick me in her closet during highschool beacuse I
    wouldn't believe that her boyfriend knew about foreplay...

  20. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Ignoramus19342 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>
    >> Highly recommended:
    >>
    >> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    > My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    > to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    > times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    > cannot do this wireless broadband thing.

    What is "wireless broadband"?

    > I came with some workarounds
    > like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    > example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >
    > So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    NM will default to a wired connection if available, is the only thing
    I've seen.

    --
    VMS must die!

+ Reply to Thread