Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu ; Ignoramus19342 wrote: > I can use WPA with NM, no problem. It wasn't reliable for me - when NM /did/ work, it was intermittent. I gave up and installed WICD - voila! No more problems after that. I've now installed ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51

  1. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 wrote:

    > I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    It wasn't reliable for me - when NM /did/ work, it was intermittent. I gave
    up and installed WICD - voila! No more problems after that. I've now
    installed it without problems to innumerable machines.

    C.

  2. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Linonut schreef:
    > * Dirk T. Verbeek peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    >>> managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    >>> moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    >> A few months ago exactly my experience.
    >>
    >> And recently when I for curiosities sake installed KDE4 in parallel to
    >> 3.5 it reinstalled NM which promptly disabled reliable WIFI.

    > When that was occurring, did you have ifupdown installed?
    > wpasupplicant?

    Yes, they were 'leftovers' of the first install.

    The problem is not an impossibility to make a WPA connection through NM
    but a very unstable connection, basically useless.

  3. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-18, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 wrote:
    >
    >> I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    > It wasn't reliable for me - when NM /did/ work, it was intermittent. I gave
    > up and installed WICD - voila! No more problems after that. I've now
    > installed it without problems to innumerable machines.

    OK, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that they both used
    wpa_supplicant? How can, then, wicd be different?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus11155 wrote:

    > On 2008-09-18, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    >> It wasn't reliable for me - when NM /did/ work, it was intermittent. I
    >> gave
    >> up and installed WICD - voila! No more problems after that. I've now
    >> installed it without problems to innumerable machines.
    >>

    > OK, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that they both used
    > wpa_supplicant? How can, then, wicd be different?

    WICD has all the options for configuration available all the time. NM tends
    to "grey out" some options arbitrarily, and if you /do/ manage to configure
    something, it "forgets" on reboot, restart of X, or when the wind changes
    direction. It's just too random to be reliable!

    C.

  5. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Christopher Hunter belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Ignoramus11155 wrote:
    >
    >> OK, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that they both used
    >> wpa_supplicant? How can, then, wicd be different?

    > WICD has all the options for configuration available all the time. NM tends
    > to "grey out" some options arbitrarily, and if you /do/ manage to configure
    > something, it "forgets" on reboot, restart of X, or when the wind changes
    > direction. It's just too random to be reliable!

    Odd. Not my experience in the least!

    --
    "You can't have filenames longer than 14 chars.
    You can't even think about them!"

  6. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-18, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:

    [deletia]
    >>> That surprises me. The NW manager allowed that for me too on the
    >>> laptop. The problem was the usual clusterf*ck of too many bits and
    >>> pieces not working together in a designed and consistent manner - one
    >>> day roaming would worl another not. WICD solved that bit. But the
    >>> underlying driver for my card always allowed WPA.
    >>>

    >> I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    > Thats nice. Not that it helps the hundreds who could not get it to play
    > ball. What often happens in the Linux world is that people apply so many
    > "How Tos" that when the official fix is released it wont work because of
    > contrary stuff done on the advice of the HowTos. I've been bitten that
    > way. And its one of the reasons I am so adamant about not using the

    That's a rather odd sort of thing for a self-proclaimed emacs
    user to whine about.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  7. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >> WICD has all the options for configuration available all the time. NM
    >> tends to "grey out" some options arbitrarily, and if you /do/ manage to
    >> configure something, it "forgets" on reboot, restart of X, or when the
    >> wind changes
    >> direction. It's just too random to be reliable!

    > Odd. Not my experience in the least!

    Just wait until you do your updates. NM seems to get broken then. I just
    got fed up with it, and installed WICD. I've respun my Ubuntu install disc
    to include WICD and the latest version of Opera. It's now my "generic"
    install for every machine I've seen.

    C.

  8. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-09-18, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > [deletia]
    >>>>

    >>> I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    >> Thats nice. Not that it helps the hundreds who could not get it to play
    >> ball. What often happens in the Linux world is that people apply so many
    >> "How Tos" that when the official fix is released it wont work because of
    >> contrary stuff done on the advice of the HowTos. I've been bitten that
    >> way. And its one of the reasons I am so adamant about not using the

    > That's a rather odd sort of thing for a self-proclaimed emacs
    > user to whine about.

    Huh? Do you even know what emacs is?

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  9. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-18, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    >> [deletia]

    >>> Thats nice. Not that it helps the hundreds who could not get it to play
    >>> ball. What often happens in the Linux world is that people apply so many
    >>> "How Tos" that when the official fix is released it wont work because of
    >>> contrary stuff done on the advice of the HowTos. I've been bitten that
    >>> way. And its one of the reasons I am so adamant about not using the

    >> That's a rather odd sort of thing for a self-proclaimed emacs
    >> user to whine about.

    > Huh? Do you even know what emacs is?

    That's rather what inspired my comment.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  10. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Christopher Hunter belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >>> WICD has all the options for configuration available all the time. NM
    >>> tends to "grey out" some options arbitrarily, and if you /do/ manage to
    >>> configure something, it "forgets" on reboot, restart of X, or when the
    >>> wind changes
    >>> direction. It's just too random to be reliable!

    >> Odd. Not my experience in the least!

    > Just wait until you do your updates. NM seems to get broken then. I just
    > got fed up with it, and installed WICD. I've respun my Ubuntu install disc
    > to include WICD and the latest version of Opera. It's now my "generic"
    > install for every machine I've seen.

    I do updates almost every day. Certainly a few times a week.

    I did try wicd, but, even though it uninstalled a lot of stuff related
    to Network Manager, including openvpn, it did not connect to my wireless
    router!

    However, today I've been having trouble with wireless. In the morning,
    no trouble. This evening, much trouble connecting. No updates done in
    between.

    So maybe something was hiccuping for awhile. But I'm back on NM right
    now.

    The take-away lesson is that are many interactions possible, and they
    may differ a bit from machine to machine.

    --
    (It's sorta like sed, but not. It's sorta like awk, but not. etc.)
    Guilty as charged. Perl is happily ugly, and happily derivative.

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-09-18, Hadron wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> [deletia]

    >>> That's a rather odd sort of thing for a self-proclaimed emacs
    >>> user to whine about.

    >> Huh? Do you even know what emacs is?

    > That's rather what inspired my comment.

    Could someone please help me out here. Jeb has confused me yet again
    with another of his vague, seemingly insane wibblings.

    --
    "Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not. "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3