Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510 - Ubuntu ; On 2008-09-17, Christopher Hunter wrote: > Ignoramus19342 wrote: > >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ > >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM? > > WICD tends to work, whereas NM is probably best renamed "Network Mangler". > WICD handles ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Ignoramus19342 wrote:
    >
    >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    > WICD tends to work, whereas NM is probably best renamed "Network Mangler".
    > WICD handles all my networking requirements (some of my laptops get used in
    > several differing environments, sometimes wired, sometimes wireless and
    > sometimes connected by mobile phone. WICD handles all these eventualities
    > with ease.

    Thanks, Christopher and Hadron. I will give WiCD a try.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Linonut wrote:
    > * Ignoramus19342 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>>
    >>> Highly recommended:
    >>>
    >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    >> My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    >> to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    >> times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    >> cannot do this wireless broadband thing.

    > What is "wireless broadband"?

    This is a special card made by Sierra Wireless, that is like a modem
    but works over a cell phone network of Sprint Wireless. It gives me a
    near broadband speed if I am in the coverage area. This summer, I took
    a Amtrak train trip from Chicago to Bay Area, and it worked
    approximateyl half the time, which was great. It was on my Linux
    laptop. Sierra is being a good corporate citizen and contributes GPL
    code to the Linux kernel.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Ignoramus19342 peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What is "wireless broadband"?

    > This is a special card made by Sierra Wireless, that is like a modem
    > but works over a cell phone network of Sprint Wireless. It gives me a
    > near broadband speed if I am in the coverage area. This summer, I took
    > a Amtrak train trip from Chicago to Bay Area, and it worked
    > approximateyl half the time, which was great. It was on my Linux
    > laptop. Sierra is being a good corporate citizen and contributes GPL
    > code to the Linux kernel.

    Cool, thanks!

    --
    I will never lie to you.

  4. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Christopher Hunter peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ignoramus19342 wrote:
    >
    >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    > WICD tends to work, whereas NM is probably best renamed "Network Mangler".
    > WICD handles all my networking requirements (some of my laptops get used in
    > several differing environments, sometimes wired, sometimes wireless and
    > sometimes connected by mobile phone. WICD handles all these eventualities
    > with ease.

    NM works fine for me in various environments. Have to have a clean
    /etc/network/interfaces file, for one thing:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    allow-hotplug eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

    --
    Patageometry, n.:
    The study of those mathematical properties that are invariant

  5. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    At Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:11:14 -0400 Linonut wrote:

    > * Ignoramus19342 peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > >> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    > >>
    > >> Highly recommended:
    > >>
    > >> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    > > My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    > > to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    > > times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    > > cannot do this wireless broadband thing.

    > What is "wireless broadband"?

    It is what Verizon, Sprint, and ATT offer: Broadband Internet over
    Cell-phone tech. You get a PCMCIA or USB 'modem' that gives something
    like 3+ mbit/s and connects to a transceiver mounted on a cell tower.

    > > I came with some workarounds
    > > like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    > > example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    > >
    > > So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    > NM will default to a wired connection if available, is the only thing
    > I've seen.

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

  6. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 schreef:
    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>
    >> Highly recommended:
    >>
    >> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    > to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    > times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    > cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    > like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    > example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >
    > So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?

    For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

  7. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Hadron schreef:
    > Ignoramus19342 writes:

    >> Yes, it was with another card. I use WPA.

    > Good idea. Stay away from WEP.

    Unless you live in the sticks

  8. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Dirk T. Verbeek peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ignoramus19342 schreef:
    >> On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>>
    >>> Highly recommended:
    >>>
    >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    >> My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    >> to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    >> times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    >> cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    >> like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    >> example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >>
    >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?
    >>

    > For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    --
    Wherever you go...There you are.
    -- Buckaroo Banzai

  9. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    > >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?
    > > For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    > Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

  10. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> > For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    >> Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    > I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    > managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    > moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    Will it be included in Intrepid?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    > Will it be included in Intrepid?

    'fraid I don't know...

    I wonder when the feature freeze is implemented - there may be package
    lists available already to say what it has in there ?!?

  12. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Colin Wilson peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> > For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    >> Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    > I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    > managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    > moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    That's cool, too.

    Perhaps wicd provides a functional dependency that Network Manager
    needs, but doesn't (or didn't) specify in its dependencies.

    No matter, ever since I've been using computers, half the fun is
    figuring out how to get stuff to work.

    --
    Reclaimer, spare that tree! Take not a single bit!
    It used to point to me, Now I'm protecting it.

  13. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Linonut wrote:

    > I've heard a lot about wicd. However, in Debian lenny, Network
    > Manager has given my precious little trouble, so I haven't bothered to
    > find the deb or source for wicd and install it.

    I run xfce deliberately because I don't like a lot of 'extras' so I
    guess I can't complain about the total lack of a network manager of any
    sort :-). But wicd fills this gap very neatly and there is a nice
    wrapper script for it on slackbuilds.org.

    So I am not sure if the kde network manager would work any better on
    this laptop, I have always found kde a bit over the top.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  14. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Colin Wilson schreef:
    >>> For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    >> Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    > I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    > managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    > moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    A few months ago exactly my experience.

    And recently when I for curiosities sake installed KDE4 in parallel to
    3.5 it reinstalled NM which promptly disabled reliable WIFI.

    I do like the layout (GUI) of Knetworkmanager so hopefully NM will one
    day work for me.

  15. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    * Dirk T. Verbeek peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    >> I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    >> managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    >> moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    > A few months ago exactly my experience.
    >
    > And recently when I for curiosities sake installed KDE4 in parallel to
    > 3.5 it reinstalled NM which promptly disabled reliable WIFI.

    When that was occurring, did you have ifupdown installed?
    wpasupplicant?

    --
    You can be replaced by this computer.

  16. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 wrote:

    >> I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    >> managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    >> moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    > Will it be included in Intrepid?

    There have been a number of requests - perhaps you should make another one.
    The more requests they get, the more likely they are to include it.

    C.

  17. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Ignoramus19342 schreef:
    >> On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus19342 writes:
    >>>
    >>> Highly recommended:
    >>>
    >>> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    >>>

    >> My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    >> to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    >> times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    >> cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    >> like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    >> example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >>
    >> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?
    >>

    > For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    That surprises me. The NW manager allowed that for me too on the
    laptop. The problem was the usual clusterf*ck of too many bits and
    pieces not working together in a designed and consistent manner - one
    day roaming would worl another not. WICD solved that bit. But the
    underlying driver for my card always allowed WPA.

    --
    "Give it up because going on the offensive, and you are quite offensive, is
    not going to cover up your trolling and nym shifting blunders no matter now

  18. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    >>> Uhhhh, I get WPA using Network Manager....

    >> I didn't, or at least couldn't get it to connect reliably (I think I
    >> managed to connect once, possibly twice, in over 50 reboots) - since
    >> moving to wicd it's first time every time, so i'm a happy bunny :-)

    > A few months ago exactly my experience.
    >
    > And recently when I for curiosities sake installed KDE4 in parallel to
    > 3.5 it reinstalled NM which promptly disabled reliable WIFI.
    >
    > I do like the layout (GUI) of Knetworkmanager so hopefully NM will one
    > day work for me.

    What I really like about wicd is that ... you dont see it unless you
    want to. You set it up once and it "just works".

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  19. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Ignoramus19342 schreef:

    >>> My problem is that I have a relatively complicated configuration due
    >>> to needing to use ethernet, wifi, and "wireless broadband" at varying
    >>> times. NetworkManager is not really great with this complexity. It
    >>> cannot do this wireless broadband thing. I came with some workarounds
    >>> like killing NM before starting wireless broadband connections, for
    >>> example (from scripts). So as of now, I have a tolerable situation.
    >>>
    >>> So, what is it that WiCD does better than NM?
    >>>

    >> For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    > That surprises me. The NW manager allowed that for me too on the
    > laptop. The problem was the usual clusterf*ck of too many bits and
    > pieces not working together in a designed and consistent manner - one
    > day roaming would worl another not. WICD solved that bit. But the
    > underlying driver for my card always allowed WPA.

    I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: Bought a new laptop Fujitsu S6510

    Ignoramus19342 writes:

    > On 2008-09-17, Hadron wrote:

    >>> For me it was finally making WPA encryption possible.

    >> That surprises me. The NW manager allowed that for me too on the
    >> laptop. The problem was the usual clusterf*ck of too many bits and
    >> pieces not working together in a designed and consistent manner - one
    >> day roaming would worl another not. WICD solved that bit. But the
    >> underlying driver for my card always allowed WPA.
    >>

    > I can use WPA with NM, no problem.

    Thats nice. Not that it helps the hundreds who could not get it to play
    ball. What often happens in the Linux world is that people apply so many
    "How Tos" that when the official fix is released it wont work because of
    contrary stuff done on the advice of the HowTos. I've been bitten that
    way. And its one of the reasons I am so adamant about not using the
    nvidia installer anymore -stick to the Debian supported way for future
    proofing.

    As for NM, it sometimes worked for me. At other times the WPA option disappeared
    completely. And googling solutions was a nightmare as no one seemed to
    know what the correct config was in Debian or Ubuntu. That supplicant
    thing sometimes, sometimes not. A mess. I believe its tidier now.

    --
    " Are there any decent document editors that can open ODT files except
    OpenOffice.org? oowriter is so unstable with large files that it would