Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw - Ubuntu ; I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't have the bios password and none of the common workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot. How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would prefer ...

  1. Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    have the bios password and none of the common
    workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.

    How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    prefer dual-boot?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    Ike wrote:

    > I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    > have the bios password and none of the common
    > workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >
    > How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    > prefer dual-boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    Have you tried Smart Boot Manager?
    http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/download.html

  3. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article , General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:00:32 -0700, Ike wrote:
    >
    >> I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't have the bios
    >> password and none of the common workarounds work, so I cannot specify a
    >> CDROM boot.
    >>
    >> How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would prefer dual-boot?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Do a CMOS reset to get rid of the BIOS password. If you can't find the
    >reset jumper you can pull the battery.

    But ... some bioses (if old enogh) allow only floppy and HD boot. CD is not
    an option

  4. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article , "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >Ike wrote:
    >> I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    >> have the bios password and none of the common
    >> workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.

    >Many old computers won't let you cdrom boot even if you can get to the
    >bios.
    >
    >Puppy has provided a good way to solve the problem of not being able to
    >boot from the cd with WakePup. You make a floppy to boot from and the
    >floppy finds the cd
    >http://puppylinux.org/wiki/applications/various/wakepup WakePUP is a
    >utility to boot puppy from a floppy disk. It is mostly used for older
    >computers who's bios cannot boot from a CD or USB stick.

    Perfect. Thanks Mike.

  5. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:00:32 -0700, Ike wrote:

    > I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't have the bios
    > password and none of the common workarounds work, so I cannot specify a
    > CDROM boot.
    >
    > How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would prefer dual-boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    Do a CMOS reset to get rid of the BIOS password. If you can't find the
    reset jumper you can pull the battery.

  6. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > Ike wrote:
    >
    >> I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't have the
    >> bios password and none of the common workarounds work, so I
    >> cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >>
    >> How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would prefer
    >> dual-boot?

    > Do a CMOS reset to get rid of the BIOS password. If you can't
    > find the reset jumper you can pull the battery.

    Fine if that is a real computer. If it is a portable you will need
    to contact the manufacturer and convince them that you own it.
    Assuming the manufacturer still exists and still has that data.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  7. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    --
    Mike Easter

  8. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> http://puppylinux.org/wiki/applications/various/wakepup WakePUP is a
    >> utility to boot puppy from a floppy disk. It is mostly used for older
    >> computers who's bios cannot boot from a CD or USB stick.

    > Perfect. Thanks Mike.

    YW.

    Voluntary clockpolice courtesy report:

    According to your clock's Date stamp, you answered my message 53 minutes
    before I posted it. More likely that your clock is set wrong than you
    have a time machine.

    Mine: 24:17 UTC
    Yours: 23:24 UTC

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article , "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> http://puppylinux.org/wiki/applications/various/wakepup WakePUP is a
    >>> utility to boot puppy from a floppy disk. It is mostly used for older
    >>> computers who's bios cannot boot from a CD or USB stick.

    >> Perfect. Thanks Mike.

    >YW.

    >Voluntary clockpolice courtesy report:
    >
    >According to your clock's Date stamp, you answered my message 53 minutes
    >before I posted it. More likely that your clock is set wrong than you
    >have a time machine.
    >
    >Mine: 24:17 UTC
    >Yours: 23:24 UTC

    Gosh I didn't know I was that much ahead of everyone. I'll dial the time
    machine back a bit ... but all the clocks I control are set right. Sorry.

  10. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    On 2008-09-17, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mine: 24:17 UTC

    Should that not be 00:17 UTC ?

  11. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    Gordon wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Mine: 24:17 UTC

    > Should that not be 00:17 UTC ?

    Yes of course, but I wanted to just express it by adding the offset to my
    localtime so that the 53 minute discrepancy would 'stand out' without
    being confused by a date change. My local time on the post in question
    was actually 5:17 PM PDT - offset -0700

    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:17:01 -0700

    That would have converted to Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:17:01 UTC

    .... which is hard to 'see' compared to Bruce's

    Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:24:21 GMT

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> According to your clock's Date stamp, you answered my message 53
    >> minutes before I posted it. More likely that your clock is set wrong
    >> than you have a time machine.

    > Gosh I didn't know I was that much ahead of everyone. I'll dial the time
    > machine back a bit ... but all the clocks I control are set right.
    > Sorry.

    Generally such a problem isn't related to the localtime setting on the
    visible/available clocks, but something fishy with the timezone offset.

    Your newsserver doesn't stamp NPH (your IP) or NPD (the newsserver's
    posting timestamp) on your headers, so I can't easily interpret just what
    is 'wrong' or even your geolocation for timezone offset, but you are
    posting with a Windows newsreader to a linux group. Often that means dual
    booting which can sometimes cause conflicts or confusion with some
    hardware clocks for some distros dual booting with Win because of the
    different philosophy in how Windows handles time vs linux/unix style.

    --
    Mike Easter

  13. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article , "Mike Easter" wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> According to your clock's Date stamp, you answered my message 53
    >>> minutes before I posted it. More likely that your clock is set wrong
    >>> than you have a time machine.

    >> Gosh I didn't know I was that much ahead of everyone. I'll dial the time
    >> machine back a bit ... but all the clocks I control are set right.
    >> Sorry.

    >Generally such a problem isn't related to the localtime setting on the
    >visible/available clocks, but something fishy with the timezone offset.
    >
    >Your newsserver doesn't stamp NPH (your IP) or NPD (the newsserver's
    >posting timestamp) on your headers, so I can't easily interpret just what
    >is 'wrong' or even your geolocation for timezone offset, but you are
    >posting with a Windows newsreader to a linux group. Often that means dual
    >booting which can sometimes cause conflicts or confusion with some
    >hardware clocks for some distros dual booting with Win because of the
    >different philosophy in how Windows handles time vs linux/unix style.

    Nope, not dual boot. Means I run Linux at home and read news groups at
    work (from XP with a real newsreader ) via the good offices of AIOE (to
    whom all power and thanks ).

  14. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    On 2008-09-16, Ike hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    > have the bios password and none of the common
    > workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >
    > How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    > prefer dual-boot?

    If you can do so pull the HDD from the old PC put it in a
    newer box and do the installation/updates in that one. If
    the older box is so old that then one could compile a kernel
    for it and use that. If you need more advice on that....

    > Thanks

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  15. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    Does that old computer have a "Boot from Network" or "PXE Boot"
    option?

    On 2008-09-16, Ike wrote:
    > I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    > have the bios password and none of the common
    > workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >
    > How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    > prefer dual-boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article <20080918192351.27@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >On 2008-09-16, Ike hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    >> have the bios password and none of the common
    >> workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >>
    >> How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    >> prefer dual-boot?

    >If you can do so pull the HDD from the old PC put it in a
    >newer box and do the installation/updates in that one. If
    >the older box is so old that then one could compile a kernel
    >for it and use that. If you need more advice on that....

    Someone (in this or a similar thread) suggested wakepup - a floppy bootable
    extra that allows reading puppy from CD after boot. My old 486 has the
    floppy or HD boot options ... but nothing else. Haven't tried it yet, but
    will be soon.

  17. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    On 2008-09-21, Bruce Sinclair hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > In article <20080918192351.27@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>On 2008-09-16, Ike hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> I want to load Puppy onto an old computer, but don't
    >>> have the bios password and none of the common
    >>> workarounds work, so I cannot specify a CDROM boot.
    >>>
    >>> How can I best/safely install Puppy -- and I would
    >>> prefer dual-boot?

    >>If you can do so pull the HDD from the old PC put it in a
    >>newer box and do the installation/updates in that one. If
    >>the older box is so old that then one could compile a kernel
    >>for it and use that. If you need more advice on that....

    > Someone (in this or a similar thread) suggested wakepup - a floppy bootable
    > extra that allows reading puppy from CD after boot. My old 486 has the
    > floppy or HD boot options ... but nothing else. Haven't tried it yet, but
    > will be soon.

    I' like to know how this goes. :-)

    I remember a guy installing a OS on a old Lap-Top (similar to
    another one of mine) and it took him a long time :-)

    "http://james.hamsterrepublic.com/linux/contura-aero.php"

    The "[U]pdate" stage in dselect took only seconds to download the
    package lists, but almost three hours to get past the "Replacing
    available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available" stage!

    But I am a patient man. I set it to work downloading packages, and
    checking back every hour or two to see if I needed to press a key.
    Three days layer, I had a working Debian 3.0 system! (I think only
    about six or seven of those hours were really necessary. Most of the
    rest of the time, the system sat idle waiting for me to return from
    work, class, lunch, kayaking, or sleep, so I could press the "enter"
    key and move on to the next step)
    -----

    (8MB of RAM)

    ---

    I didn't have a CD-ROM for this beauty, so I got me a
    "Slack" on 12 floppies or so (didn't use all of it.)

    When I read that story I pulled the HDD for my second one
    and did the install in the main-box. Of course it was
    dual-booting and so I didn't have much troubles, had to edit
    grub on boot-up IIRC but that was it.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  18. Re: Trying to put Puppy on an old computer, but no BIOS pw

    In article <20080922193823.779@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >On 2008-09-21, Bruce Sinclair hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> In article <20080918192351.27@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric

    > wrote:

    >>>If you can do so pull the HDD from the old PC put it in a
    >>>newer box and do the installation/updates in that one. If
    >>>the older box is so old that then one could compile a kernel
    >>>for it and use that. If you need more advice on that....

    >> Someone (in this or a similar thread) suggested wakepup - a floppy bootable
    >> extra that allows reading puppy from CD after boot. My old 486 has the
    >> floppy or HD boot options ... but nothing else. Haven't tried it yet, but
    >> will be soon.

    >I' like to know how this goes. :-)

    Will try to remember to say once life allows the attempt - and that despite
    this not being a puppy group.

    >I remember a guy installing a OS on a old Lap-Top (similar to
    >another one of mine) and it took him a long time :-)
    >
    >"http://james.hamsterrepublic.com/linux/contura-aero.php"
    >
    >The "[U]pdate" stage in dselect took only seconds to download the
    >package lists, but almost three hours to get past the "Replacing
    >available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available" stage!

    I won't be connecting the old 486 to the net. What's on the CD will be
    sufficient. It's mostly proof of concept for me.

+ Reply to Thread