Help with module hpt366 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help with module hpt366 - Ubuntu ; I am using ubuntu 8.04 with the latest updates. Has any body managed to make the hpt366 module work and make the card usable. With just the card inserted into the pci slot the machine will boot. If I attach ...

  1. Help with module hpt366

    I am using ubuntu 8.04 with the latest updates.

    Has any body managed to make the hpt366 module work and make the card
    usable. With just the card inserted into the pci slot the machine will
    boot. If I attach a drive to the card the machine locks up during the boot
    process. I have tried google and found many messages on the problem
    but no answers. The card and drive work ok in FC6

    Hope somebody has answers many thanks

    Shogun

    --
    One Prayer: Peace
    One Hope: Harmony

  2. Re: Help with module hpt366

    On 2008-09-16, shogun@shogunate.com.au hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I am using ubuntu 8.04 with the latest updates.
    >
    > Has any body managed to make the hpt366 module work and make the card
    > usable. With just the card inserted into the pci slot the machine will
    > boot. If I attach a drive to the card the machine locks up during the boot
    > process. I have tried google and found many messages on the problem
    > but no answers. The card and drive work ok in FC6

    Hello :-)

    I'm using such a card since 2000 or 2001.
    It is the 370.

    02:08.0 Mass storage controller: HighPoint Technologies, Inc. HPT366/368/370/370A/372/372N (rev 04)

    pata_hpt366 11776 0
    hpt366 17664 0 [permanent]
    ide_core 127152 2 ide_disk,hpt366
    libata 178992 4 pata_acpi,pata_hpt366,pata_amd,ata_generic

    I used to be able to boot from it ( I didn't use the Raid
    with it) but not any more (this is not such a problem) Now
    when you boot the PC with the card in place do you get a
    separate BIOS for the card? Ctrl+H will (at least here) get
    you into the bios for the card and then you can set it.

    Also my OS is connected on a IDE-cable /dev/sda because as I
    said I can't boot from the card. You could try this also,
    hook up a HDD to the IDE and see what will happen here.

    At this time I have 4 disks connected to it here with no
    other problems.

    Don't know if I can be of any more help, but lets see how
    the above goes... Maybe just the BIOS IS wrong (the one for
    the card?)

    > Hope somebody has answers many thanks
    >
    > Shogun

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

+ Reply to Thread