About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup. - Ubuntu ; I did a customized livecd from ubuntu-livecd-7.04, and modified the /etc/network/interfaces to set a static ip. However the /etc/network/interfaces file was changed to DHCP during the startup and different from /rofs/etc/network/interfaces(which is extracted from the filesystem.squashfs. I don't know when ...

  1. About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    I did a customized livecd from ubuntu-livecd-7.04, and modified the
    /etc/network/interfaces to set a static ip.

    However the /etc/network/interfaces file was changed to DHCP during the
    startup and different from /rofs/etc/network/interfaces(which is extracted
    from the filesystem.squashfs.

    I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?

    Could someone help me out?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    lofenee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I did a customized livecd from ubuntu-livecd-7.04, and modified the
    > /etc/network/interfaces to set a static ip.
    >
    > However the /etc/network/interfaces file was changed to DHCP during the
    > startup and different from /rofs/etc/network/interfaces(which is extracted
    > from the filesystem.squashfs.
    >
    > I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?
    >
    > Could someone help me out?

    It's usually the network manager application that changes it.

    There have been numerous reports of network manager causing problems
    for people, and hopefully they'll sort this out.

    I think it should do a check for modifications before automagically
    changing these system files for you. That would be a start.

    --
    “Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented
    custard” ~ Spike Milligan.

  3. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    > I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?
    >
    > Could someone help me out?

    The simple solution: reset it using ifconfig in /etc/init.d/rc.local

    The complex solution: find out how /etc/init.d/networking works

    The reason: The LiveCD might be using a different networking script...

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.5

  4. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" ?Js?:48cf9f98$0$90275$14726298@news.sunsite. dk...
    >> I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?
    >>
    >> Could someone help me out?

    > The simple solution: reset it using ifconfig in /etc/init.d/rc.local

    Yes, it works.
    While i still want to find out why the /etc/network/interfaces doesn't work.

    > The complex solution: find out how /etc/init.d/networking works
    >
    > The reason: The LiveCD might be using a different networking script...

    Actually the networking script is the same as that on desktop. Because
    "/etc/init.d/networking restart" can take the modification of file
    'interfaces' into effect without changing the file itself.

  5. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    "Moog" дϢ:slrngcuvr3.bvq.efcmoog@hardy.invalid. ..
    > lofenee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I did a customized livecd from ubuntu-livecd-7.04, and modified the
    >> /etc/network/interfaces to set a static ip.
    >>
    >> However the /etc/network/interfaces file was changed to DHCP during the
    >> startup and different from /rofs/etc/network/interfaces(which is
    >> extracted
    >> from the filesystem.squashfs.
    >>
    >> I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?
    >>
    >> Could someone help me out?

    > It's usually the network manager application that changes it.
    >
    > There have been numerous reports of network manager causing problems
    > for people, and hopefully they'll sort this out.
    >
    > I think it should do a check for modifications before automagically
    > changing these system files for you. That would be a start.

    You are likely to be right.
    How can i confirm that the network manager app changes it?
    Also, can i stop its behavior, by uninstalling the network manager or just
    changing some config files?

  6. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    lofenee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > "Moog" дϢ:slrngcuvr3.bvq.efcmoog@hardy.invalid. ..
    >> lofenee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I did a customized livecd from ubuntu-livecd-7.04, and modified the
    >>> /etc/network/interfaces to set a static ip.
    >>>
    >>> However the /etc/network/interfaces file was changed to DHCP during the
    >>> startup and different from /rofs/etc/network/interfaces(which is
    >>> extracted
    >>> from the filesystem.squashfs.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know when and how the /etc/network/interfaces was changed?
    >>>
    >>> Could someone help me out?

    >> It's usually the network manager application that changes it.
    >>
    >> There have been numerous reports of network manager causing problems
    >> for people, and hopefully they'll sort this out.
    >>
    >> I think it should do a check for modifications before automagically
    >> changing these system files for you. That would be a start.

    > You are likely to be right.
    > How can i confirm that the network manager app changes it?

    $ cat /etc/network/interfaces after nm-applet runs.

    > Also, can i stop its behavior, by uninstalling the network manager or just
    > changing some config files?

    You can replace the Network Manager with wicd, which seems to have
    worked for some people.

    wicd uninstalls the nm for you on install.
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    --
    People always ask me, "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?" Well, I
    don't have an alibi." ~ Emo Philips

  7. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    Moog wrote:

    > You can replace the Network Manager with wicd, which seems to have
    > worked for some people.
    >
    > wicd uninstalls the nm for you on install.
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    I'll second that. I had nothing but trouble with NM - WICD fixed all my
    networking problems.

    C.

  8. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    I have unintalled NM and installed WICD.

    The ip configuration isn't changed automatically during the OS runtime,
    while file "/etc/network/interfaces" is still different from that one put in
    the filesystem.squashfs after OS booted from livecd.
    I guess it may be a problem due to livecd. It seems that the file will be
    distorted during livecd booting.

    Distorted file content is like following:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

    auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

    auto ath0
    iface ath0 inet dhcp

    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

    Though there are no such network devices as 'eth1, eth2, ath0, wlan0' on my
    machine. And it's the same everywhere the livecd boots.
    Could anyone tell me WHAT's wrong?

  9. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    On 2008-09-18, lofenee hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > I have unintalled NM and installed WICD.
    >
    > The ip configuration isn't changed automatically during the OS runtime,
    > while file "/etc/network/interfaces" is still different from that one put in
    > the filesystem.squashfs after OS booted from livecd.
    > I guess it may be a problem due to livecd. It seems that the file will be
    > distorted during livecd booting.

    > Though there are no such network devices as 'eth1, eth2, ath0, wlan0' on my
    > machine. And it's the same everywhere the livecd boots.
    > Could anyone tell me WHAT's wrong?

    You assume that its wrong, but if this is the *LIVE-CD* and not a
    actual installed OS I think this is on purpose. For those people who
    might have more then *one* card in their PC.
    I think I recall having seen this in a Mint install I tried too.
    Does this cause any problems? I.E. you don't get connected to the
    Internet?

    I have the situation here that there is a second NIC onboard, and
    every time (which is daily) the PC boots up I need to restart eth0

    "sudo ifup eth0"

    (you could use this and modify it for your own situation)

    even after disabling the NIC in the bios the same behavior is
    noticed.

    as to the file /etc/networking/interfaces.

    You can: either comment them lines out by putting the # character
    in front of it. Or you can erase them.

    In my own case I will also comment it out.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  10. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    "Dragomir Kollaric"
    ??????:20080918194032.701@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid...
    > On 2008-09-18, lofenee hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> I have unintalled NM and installed WICD.
    >>
    >> The ip configuration isn't changed automatically during the OS runtime,
    >> while file "/etc/network/interfaces" is still different from that one put
    >> in
    >> the filesystem.squashfs after OS booted from livecd.
    >> I guess it may be a problem due to livecd. It seems that the file will be
    >> distorted during livecd booting.

    >> Though there are no such network devices as 'eth1, eth2, ath0, wlan0' on
    >> my
    >> machine. And it's the same everywhere the livecd boots.
    >> Could anyone tell me WHAT's wrong?

    > You assume that its wrong, but if this is the *LIVE-CD* and not a
    > actual installed OS I think this is on purpose. For those people who
    > might have more then *one* card in their PC.
    > I think I recall having seen this in a Mint install I tried too.
    > Does this cause any problems? I.E. you don't get connected to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > I have the situation here that there is a second NIC onboard, and
    > every time (which is daily) the PC boots up I need to restart eth0
    >
    > "sudo ifup eth0"
    >
    > (you could use this and modify it for your own situation)
    >
    > even after disabling the NIC in the bios the same behavior is
    > noticed.
    >
    > as to the file /etc/networking/interfaces.
    >
    > You can: either comment them lines out by putting the # character
    > in front of it. Or you can erase them.
    >
    > In my own case I will also comment it out.

    For a LIVE-CD, this configuration of /etc/networking/interfaces is definitly
    a good feature. I think there is no need for live-cd to modify it during
    bootup instead of using the file compressed in the filesystem.squashfs.
    And now i just wonder who modify/create the default configuration file
    '/etc/networking/interfaces'?
    There seems no such documentation on that, isn't there?

  11. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    On 2008-09-20, lofenee hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > For a LIVE-CD, this configuration of /etc/networking/interfaces is definitly
    > a good feature. I think there is no need for live-cd to modify it during
    > bootup instead of using the file compressed in the filesystem.squashfs.
    > And now i just wonder who modify/create the default configuration file
    > '/etc/networking/interfaces'?
    > There seems no such documentation on that, isn't there?

    I wouldn't know the answer for this. I've *edited* a few of
    these files, when the need arose, but I didn't bother to
    figure out who/how these files were created.

    Also I think the file should be edited (automatically) when
    one sets up the NIC running the Live-CD.

    I've looked into my own file and there is only one more
    entry for it the second (on-board NIC). Yesterday I tried
    "Knoppix" and it only created a file for one NIC, while Mint
    (older version) creates the same entries as you have posted.

    For me the question is, does this in any way create some
    problems on your box? If not I wouldn't bother much more
    with this.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: About the /etc/network/interfaces changed during startup.

    > I've looked into my own file and there is only one more
    > entry for it the second (on-board NIC). Yesterday I tried
    > "Knoppix" and it only created a file for one NIC, while Mint
    > (older version) creates the same entries as you have posted.

    Yes, it depends on the flavor of LiveCD. I used the ubuntu-7.0.4

    > For me the question is, does this in any way create some
    > problems on your box? If not I wouldn't bother much more
    > with this.

    No, though it did cause problem at first, as I thought configuring
    'interfaces' file is the direct way to set my live-cd to bootup with a
    static ip.
    As a workaround, now i configure the script rc.local to modify 'interfaces'
    file again and restart networking service.
    Anyway thank you for your quick response.

+ Reply to Thread