Wubi installation failure - can you help? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wubi installation failure - can you help? - Ubuntu ; I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which has been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out Ubuntu without having to brave repartitioning my hard drive. Unfortunately, after the longish download ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which has
    been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out Ubuntu without
    having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.

    Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install didn't work.
    I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select Ubuntu. I selected a
    city in my time zone, but the process stalled there. 'Partman' failed,
    returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no avail. Eventually, I cancelled
    and found that I was running the equivalent of the Live CD version of
    Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't save any of my settings.

    Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

  2. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which has
    > been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out Ubuntu without
    > having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.
    >
    > Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install didn't work.
    > I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select Ubuntu. I selected a
    > city in my time zone, but the process stalled there. 'Partman' failed,
    > returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no avail. Eventually, I cancelled
    > and found that I was running the equivalent of the Live CD version of
    > Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't save any of my settings.
    >
    > Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    As long as you ave not altered your XP installation and just exited the
    Live CD no harm should have been done.

    From XP browse the CD, the Wubi exe should be in the root of the disk,
    run it to install in to XP.

    Ram

  3. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Ram wrote in news:xUVzk.32537$t_1.2962@newsfe30.ams2:

    > preacher wrote:
    >> I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which
    >> has been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out
    >> Ubuntu without having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install didn't
    >> work. I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select Ubuntu. I
    >> selected a city in my time zone, but the process stalled there.
    >> 'Partman' failed, returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no avail.
    >> Eventually, I cancelled and found that I was running the equivalent
    >> of the Live CD version of Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't
    >> save any of my settings.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    > As long as you ave not altered your XP installation and just exited
    > the Live CD no harm should have been done.
    >
    > From XP browse the CD, the Wubi exe should be in the root of the
    > disk,
    > run it to install in to XP.

    I've downloaded and run Wubi, which then downloaded the probable
    equivalent of the LiveCD. After I restart, I get the option of booting
    into Ubuntu. But the installation dies at step 2, where Partman fails
    returning exit code 10. Since the installation dies at that point, I'm
    left as a 'Live session' user. I try to use the install option from
    within Ubuntu, but it basically takes me through the same sequence and
    dies at the same point (step 2 of 7).

    I've seen one other person on the Wubi forum who had this problem, but
    didn't get a response.

    No damage seems to be done; I can uninstall, but I can't seem to get a
    full Wubi install of Ubuntu. Can you advise?

    FWIW, I have at least 20 gigs available on my HD and 2 gigs of RAM, so I
    should have enough resources.

  4. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > Ram wrote in
    >
    >> preacher wrote:
    >>> I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop
    >>> (which has been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way
    >>> to try out Ubuntu without having to brave repartitioning my
    >>> hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install
    >>> didn't work. I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to
    >>> select Ubuntu. I selected a city in my time zone, but the
    >>> process stalled there. 'Partman' failed, returning error 10. I
    >>> re-tried, but to no avail. Eventually, I cancelled and found
    >>> that I was running the equivalent of the Live CD version of
    >>> Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't save any of my
    >>> settings.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    >> As long as you ave not altered your XP installation and just
    >> exited the Live CD no harm should have been done.
    >>
    >> From XP browse the CD, the Wubi exe should be in the root of the
    >> disk, run it to install in to XP.

    > I've downloaded and run Wubi, which then downloaded the probable
    > equivalent of the LiveCD. After I restart, I get the option of
    > booting into Ubuntu. But the installation dies at step 2, where
    > Partman fails returning exit code 10. Since the installation dies
    > at that point, I'm left as a 'Live session' user. I try to use the
    > install option from within Ubuntu, but it basically takes me
    > through the same sequence and dies at the same point (step 2 of
    > 7).
    >
    > I've seen one other person on the Wubi forum who had this problem,
    > but didn't get a response.
    >
    > No damage seems to be done; I can uninstall, but I can't seem to
    > get a full Wubi install of Ubuntu. Can you advise?
    >
    > FWIW, I have at least 20 gigs available on my HD and 2 gigs of
    > RAM, so I should have enough resources.

    This drops snugly into the dreaded "worked for me" category, but on
    encountering a similar problem, I first deleted the attempted
    install, then disabled antivirus, zone alarm, etc etc, and Wubi
    installed Ubuntu smoothly.

    Naturally, also disabling web access, then installing from live CD,
    would have been a hell of a lot less risky.

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

  5. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Bob wrote:
    > preacher wrote:
    >> Ram wrote in

    >>> As long as you ave not altered your XP installation and just
    >>> exited the Live CD no harm should have been done.
    >>>
    >>> From XP browse the CD, the Wubi exe should be in the root of the
    >>> disk, run it to install in to XP.

    >> I've downloaded and run Wubi, which then downloaded the probable
    >> equivalent of the LiveCD. After I restart, I get the option of
    >> booting into Ubuntu. But the installation dies at step 2, where
    >> Partman fails returning exit code 10. Since the installation dies
    >> at that point, I'm left as a 'Live session' user. I try to use the
    >> install option from within Ubuntu, but it basically takes me
    >> through the same sequence and dies at the same point (step 2 of
    >> 7).
    >>
    >> I've seen one other person on the Wubi forum who had this problem,
    >> but didn't get a response.
    >>
    >> No damage seems to be done; I can uninstall, but I can't seem to
    >> get a full Wubi install of Ubuntu. Can you advise?
    >>
    >> FWIW, I have at least 20 gigs available on my HD and 2 gigs of
    >> RAM, so I should have enough resources.

    > This drops snugly into the dreaded "worked for me" category, but on
    > encountering a similar problem, I first deleted the attempted
    > install, then disabled antivirus, zone alarm, etc etc, and Wubi
    > installed Ubuntu smoothly.
    >
    > Naturally, also disabling web access, then installing from live CD,
    > would have been a hell of a lot less risky.

    I've not tried Wubi myself, I'll give it a go later tonight.

  6. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which has
    > been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out Ubuntu without
    > having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.
    >
    > Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install didn't work.
    > I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select Ubuntu. I selected a
    > city in my time zone, but the process stalled there. 'Partman' failed,
    > returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no avail. Eventually, I cancelled
    > and found that I was running the equivalent of the Live CD version of
    > Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't save any of my settings.
    >
    > Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    Having just tried to install it, I think you might be installing it the
    wrong way. It sounds like you booting straight from the CD, as you would
    for the live environment.

    This how it's done.

    Boot into XP
    Place CD into the drive.
    it should auto run, if not right the CD Drive and select autorun.
    From the box that pops up select *install from within Windows* button
    It pops up another box with how free space there is, how much it's going
    to use, fields for name and password.
    Clicking ok creates a folder in your C Drive with allocated space ( my
    case 15 gig ) the ask if you want to reboot now or later.
    On rebooting selecting Ubuntu then proceeds to install, partitioning the
    drive ( folder ) and installing.

    I was not prompted for any additional info, the machine reboot.

    I then got a grub error, that's an issue with my setup/drive order
    Going to sort that and update here.

    Ram

  7. Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Ram wrote:
    > preacher wrote:
    >> I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop (which
    >> has been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try out
    >> Ubuntu without having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install didn't
    >> work. I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select Ubuntu. I
    >> selected a city in my time zone, but the process stalled there.
    >> 'Partman' failed, returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no avail.
    >> Eventually, I cancelled and found that I was running the equivalent of
    >> the Live CD version of Ubuntu -- really annoying, since it won't save
    >> any of my settings.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    > Having just tried to install it, I think you might be installing it the
    > wrong way. It sounds like you booting straight from the CD, as you would
    > for the live environment.
    >
    > This how it's done.
    >
    > Boot into XP
    > Place CD into the drive.
    > it should auto run, if not right the CD Drive and select autorun.
    > From the box that pops up select *install from within Windows* button
    > It pops up another box with how free space there is, how much it's going
    > to use, fields for name and password.
    > Clicking ok creates a folder in your C Drive with allocated space ( my
    > case 15 gig ) the ask if you want to reboot now or later.
    > On rebooting selecting Ubuntu then proceeds to install, partitioning the
    > drive ( folder ) and installing.
    >
    > I was not prompted for any additional info, the machine reboot.
    >
    > I then got a grub error, that's an issue with my setup/drive order
    > Going to sort that and update here.
    >
    > Ram

    Once grub sorted ( minor change to hd0,0 )

    Booted to login prompt, entered name and password.
    Away I went....

    Test over, booted back into windows, un-installed, the 15 freed up.

    Ram

  8. Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Ram wrote in

    > Ram wrote:
    >> preacher wrote:
    >>> I tried to install Ubuntu using Wubi on my Thinkpad T61 laptop
    >>> (which has been running XP). It sounded like the perfect way to try
    >>> out Ubuntu without having to brave repartitioning my hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately, after the longish download process, the install
    >>> didn't work. I rebooted and got the menu that allowed me to select
    >>> Ubuntu. I selected a city in my time zone, but the process stalled
    >>> there. 'Partman' failed, returning error 10. I re-tried, but to no
    >>> avail. Eventually, I cancelled and found that I was running the
    >>> equivalent of the Live CD version of Ubuntu -- really annoying,
    >>> since it won't save any of my settings.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me finish the installation manually?

    >> Having just tried to install it, I think you might be installing it
    >> the wrong way. It sounds like you booting straight from the CD, as
    >> you would for the live environment.
    >>
    >> This how it's done.
    >>
    >> Boot into XP
    >> Place CD into the drive.
    >> it should auto run, if not right the CD Drive and select autorun.
    >> From the box that pops up select *install from within Windows*
    >> button
    >> It pops up another box with how free space there is, how much it's
    >> going to use, fields for name and password.
    >> Clicking ok creates a folder in your C Drive with allocated space (
    >> my case 15 gig ) the ask if you want to reboot now or later.
    >> On rebooting selecting Ubuntu then proceeds to install, partitioning
    >> the drive ( folder ) and installing.
    >>
    >> I was not prompted for any additional info, the machine reboot.
    >>
    >> I then got a grub error, that's an issue with my setup/drive order
    >> Going to sort that and update here.
    >>
    >> Ram

    > Once grub sorted ( minor change to hd0,0 )
    >
    > Booted to login prompt, entered name and password.
    > Away I went....
    >
    > Test over, booted back into windows, un-installed, the 15 freed up.

    Wow. You are clearly a Jedi; I am only a padawan...

    Anyhow, my first try with Wubi didn't involve a CD at all. I downloaded
    Wubi, then ran it. It proceeded to downloaded about 700 megs of files
    (which, I believe, must be the contents of the LiveCD). The installation
    then proceeded automatically. I kept dying at step 2 of 7, where Partman
    would return exit code 10.

    Following the advice of folks here on the NG, I tried from the LiveCD
    instead, diabling my antivirus software and doing as you instructed
    above, and everything installed without a hitch. I may not be running the
    proper version of Ubuntu for my computer (I think it's the 32 bit
    version, where as the one downloaded by Wubi looks to be the 64 bit; I've
    got a Thinkpad T61 with and Intel Core Duo processor -- what should I be
    running?!!). But Ubuntu is now running. I got on the internet via
    wireless, configured e-mail, and surfed the web.

    Couldn't get my Sony Clie (Palm OS based handheld) to sync with
    Evolution. Didn't have audio. Evolution hung once and had to be killed.

    That's the current state of affairs. Here's are my current questions:

    - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware when
    running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and things that will
    trouble me when I reboot into Windows?

    - Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    - Can anyone point me to the right resources to get audio and my Clie
    working correctly?

  9. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    > - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware when
    > running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and things that will
    > trouble me when I reboot into Windows?

    Ubuntu is generally very safe unless you start to install unknown code
    from unknown sources - because there are so many distribs using
    different apps that do similar tasks, one exploit targetting a
    specific flaw will at worst (which afaik has never happened) cause
    problems for a tiny handful of users, so it just isn't worth the time
    or effort for hackers to "have a go" :-)

    > Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    Try VirtualBox - I use it heavily under Windows, but ISTR minor
    problems getting it to work properly due to permissions under linux
    last time I tried (i'm pretty useless at linux stuff).

    Depending on what you need to run, you might find it works under wine
    without having to install 'doze in a VM at all :-)

  10. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > Ram wrote in
    >
    >> Ram wrote:

    >>> Having just tried to install it, I think you might be
    >>> installing it the wrong way. It sounds like you booting
    >>> straight from the CD, as you would for the live environment.
    >>>
    >>> This how it's done.
    >>>
    >>> Boot into XP Place CD into the drive. it should auto run, if
    >>> not right the CD Drive and select autorun. From the box that
    >>> pops up select *install from within Windows* button It pops up
    >>> another box with how free space there is, how much it's going
    >>> to use, fields for name and password. Clicking ok creates a
    >>> folder in your C Drive with allocated space ( my case 15 gig )
    >>> the ask if you want to reboot now or later. On rebooting
    >>> selecting Ubuntu then proceeds to install, partitioning the
    >>> drive ( folder ) and installing.
    >>>
    >>> I was not prompted for any additional info, the machine
    >>> reboot.
    >>>
    >>> I then got a grub error, that's an issue with my setup/drive
    >>> order Going to sort that and update here.
    >>>
    >>> Ram

    >> Once grub sorted ( minor change to hd0,0 )
    >>
    >> Booted to login prompt, entered name and password. Away I
    >> went....
    >>
    >> Test over, booted back into windows, un-installed, the 15 freed
    >> up.

    > Wow. You are clearly a Jedi; I am only a padawan...
    >
    > Anyhow, my first try with Wubi didn't involve a CD at all. I
    > downloaded Wubi, then ran it. It proceeded to downloaded about 700
    > megs of files (which, I believe, must be the contents of the
    > LiveCD). The installation then proceeded automatically. I kept
    > dying at step 2 of 7, where Partman would return exit code 10.
    >
    > Following the advice of folks here on the NG, I tried from the
    > LiveCD instead, diabling my antivirus software and doing as you
    > instructed above, and everything installed without a hitch. I may
    > not be running the proper version of Ubuntu for my computer (I
    > think it's the 32 bit version, where as the one downloaded by Wubi
    > looks to be the 64 bit; I've got a Thinkpad T61 with and Intel
    > Core Duo processor -- what should I be running?!!). But Ubuntu is
    > now running. I got on the internet via wireless, configured
    > e-mail, and surfed the web.
    >
    > Couldn't get my Sony Clie (Palm OS based handheld) to sync with
    > Evolution. Didn't have audio. Evolution hung once and had to be
    > killed.
    >
    > That's the current state of affairs. Here's are my current
    > questions:
    >
    > - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware when
    > running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and things
    > that will trouble me when I reboot into Windows?
    >
    > - Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    Glad you eventually achieved a smooth install.

    Consensus seems to be you are on the right track there, satisfied
    enough with Ubuntu to get serious, Windows on top of Ubuntu is a much
    wiser proposition than Wubi. In my case, I'm happy with dual boot, so
    will leave VM to those who know what they're talking about.

    > - Can anyone point me to the right resources to get audio and my
    > Clie working correctly?

    Audio is often solved, as it was for me, by double clicking the
    speaker icon in the top panel of Ubuntu, and checking if the mute and
    volume options there were your problem. Failing that a next step is,
    top panel again, then System/Preferences/Sound,

    I'm sure others will help with the sync.

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  11. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    > - Can anyone point me to the right resources to get audio and my Clie
    > working correctly?

    Wild guess, but it worked for my Dell desktop - if you're using alsa,
    you can install (iirc) alsamixergui - which you may find shows some
    outputs as being muted

  12. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Colin Wilson
    wrote in news:MPG.233b8bd0a88fb1b0989985@news.motzarella.or g:

    >> - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware when
    >> running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and things that

    will
    >> trouble me when I reboot into Windows?

    > Ubuntu is generally very safe unless you start to install unknown code
    > from unknown sources - because there are so many distribs using
    > different apps that do similar tasks, one exploit targetting a
    > specific flaw will at worst (which afaik has never happened) cause
    > problems for a tiny handful of users, so it just isn't worth the time
    > or effort for hackers to "have a go" :-)

    Well, I had heard there isn't a lot of malware that attacks Linux. My
    concern is more that I can get something while in Linux that can still
    attack when I re-boot in Windows. Is that possible, or am I just being
    paranoid?

    >> Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    > Try VirtualBox - I use it heavily under Windows, but ISTR minor
    > problems getting it to work properly due to permissions under linux
    > last time I tried (i'm pretty useless at linux stuff).
    >
    > Depending on what you need to run, you might find it works under wine
    > without having to install 'doze in a VM at all :-)

    The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

  13. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > Colin Wilson
    > wrote in news:MPG.233b8bd0a88fb1b0989985@news.motzarella.or g:
    >
    >>> - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware when
    >>> running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and things that

    > will
    >>> trouble me when I reboot into Windows?

    >> Ubuntu is generally very safe unless you start to install unknown code
    >> from unknown sources - because there are so many distribs using
    >> different apps that do similar tasks, one exploit targetting a
    >> specific flaw will at worst (which afaik has never happened) cause
    >> problems for a tiny handful of users, so it just isn't worth the time
    >> or effort for hackers to "have a go" :-)

    > Well, I had heard there isn't a lot of malware that attacks Linux. My
    > concern is more that I can get something while in Linux that can still
    > attack when I re-boot in Windows. Is that possible, or am I just being
    > paranoid?

    Not with what I saw in my test.

    It creates two files in side the Ubuntu folder root.DISK and swap.DISK
    These are created / formatted using ext2 file system. Windows by default
    will not be able to read those files.

    I did not test enough to see if you can access the Windows system from
    within Ubuntu (std duel boot you can) if you can't then I'd say there is
    very little risk.

    >>> Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    >> Try VirtualBox - I use it heavily under Windows, but ISTR minor
    >> problems getting it to work properly due to permissions under linux
    >> last time I tried (i'm pretty useless at linux stuff).

    Best to get the free proprietary Virtual Box from their own site.
    Think there's .deb download that does not suffer the permissions issue.

    Ram

  14. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    > The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    > application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    You've lost nothing at all giving it a go !

  15. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:44:46 +0000, preacher wrote:

    > The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    > application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    If you uses synaptic, and search for the word "bible" you will find there
    are a few bible programs available. Maybe one or more of these can
    replace the pricey bible application you are using with windows. Who
    knows, maybe you will like the free version. And you can share it with
    everyone in your church, without charging them.

    stonerfish

    --
    Jesus would use free software.

  16. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    preacher wrote:
    > Colin Wilson
    > wrote in
    > news:MPG.233b8bd0a88fb1b0989985@news.motzarella.or g:
    >
    >>> - With my current setup, am I largely invulnerable to malware
    >>> when running Ubuntu, or can I still end up with viruses and
    >>> things that

    > will
    >>> trouble me when I reboot into Windows?

    >> Ubuntu is generally very safe unless you start to install
    >> unknown code from unknown sources - because there are so many
    >> distribs using different apps that do similar tasks, one exploit
    >> targetting a specific flaw will at worst (which afaik has never
    >> happened) cause problems for a tiny handful of users, so it just
    >> isn't worth the time or effort for hackers to "have a go" :-)

    > Well, I had heard there isn't a lot of malware that attacks Linux.
    > My concern is more that I can get something while in Linux that
    > can still attack when I re-boot in Windows. Is that possible, or
    > am I just being paranoid?
    >
    >>> Is there a prefer VM for running Windows on Ubuntu?

    >> Try VirtualBox - I use it heavily under Windows, but ISTR minor
    >> problems getting it to work properly due to permissions under
    >> linux last time I tried (i'm pretty useless at linux stuff).
    >>
    >> Depending on what you need to run, you might find it works under
    >> wine without having to install 'doze in a VM at all :-)

    > The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    > application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    Have you checked this link?

    http://www.ubuntuce.com/

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  17. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    Bob wrote:
    > preacher wrote:
    >>
    >> The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    >> application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    > Have you checked this link?
    >
    > http://www.ubuntuce.com/

    PS: Don't miss the [Skip To Content] option.

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very
    often they are the same thing"-Paul Theroux, in Milroy the Magician.

  18. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:57:25 +0000, preacher wrote:

    > I'll have to figure out how to print to my home
    > printer (a Lexmark laser shared by an old Mac running OS X 10.4). But
    > I'm getting awfully tired of running malware scans every week.

    OS X uses CUPS to print, Yes? If so you should have no problem printing
    on your ubuntu box using CUPS.

  19. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote in

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:57:25 +0000, preacher wrote:
    >
    >> I'll have to figure out how to print to my home
    >> printer (a Lexmark laser shared by an old Mac running OS X 10.4). But
    >> I'm getting awfully tired of running malware scans every week.

    > OS X uses CUPS to print, Yes? If so you should have no problem
    > printing on your ubuntu box using CUPS.

    Yes, I believe it's at least capable of doing that; don't know if it's the
    default. But I'll still have to figure out how to configure CUPS.

  20. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:36:05 +0000, preacher wrote:

    > jellybean stonerfish wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:57:25 +0000, preacher wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'll have to figure out how to print to my home
    >>> printer (a Lexmark laser shared by an old Mac running OS X 10.4). But
    >>> I'm getting awfully tired of running malware scans every week.

    >> OS X uses CUPS to print, Yes? If so you should have no problem
    >> printing on your ubuntu box using CUPS.

    > Yes, I believe it's at least capable of doing that; don't know if it's
    > the default. But I'll still have to figure out how to configure CUPS.

    How did you configure it on your mac?
    On my box, I open my browser and put localhost:631 in the url.
    This brings up the cups web-configure interface thingy.
    You may have to install the proper package for your specific printer. In
    synaptic do a search for lexmark or the name of your printer. It might
    be so easy, you don't have to think.

    Also I don't know if you noticed the post by Bob telling you about
    ubuntu christian edition.

    > Have you checked this link?
    >
    > http://www.ubuntuce.com/

    PS: Don't miss the [Skip To Content] option.

    I am an agnostic pagan myself, so don't bother with such stuff, but to
    each his own.

    stonerfish

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast