Wubi installation failure - can you help? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wubi installation failure - can you help? - Ubuntu ; jellybean stonerfish wrote in news:FxGAk.720$ZP4.200@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com: > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:36:05 +0000, preacher wrote: > >> jellybean stonerfish wrote in >> news:GKEAk.691$be.356@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com: >> >>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:57:25 +0000, preacher wrote: >>> >>>> I'll have to figure ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    jellybean stonerfish wrote in

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:36:05 +0000, preacher wrote:
    >
    >> jellybean stonerfish wrote in

    >>> OS X uses CUPS to print, Yes? If so you should have no problem
    >>> printing on your ubuntu box using CUPS.

    >> Yes, I believe it's at least capable of doing that; don't know if
    >> it's the default. But I'll still have to figure out how to configure
    >> CUPS.

    > How did you configure it on your mac?
    > On my box, I open my browser and put localhost:631 in the url.
    > This brings up the cups web-configure interface thingy.
    > You may have to install the proper package for your specific printer.
    > In synaptic do a search for lexmark or the name of your printer. It
    > might be so easy, you don't have to think.

    I'm not sure I've set up CUPS on my Mac yet. I'll have to look that up,
    or maybe I can try your trick.

    > Also I don't know if you noticed the post by Bob telling you about
    > ubuntu christian edition.
    >
    > > Have you checked this link?
    > >
    > > http://www.ubuntuce.com/
    > >

    > PS: Don't miss the [Skip To Content] option.

    Yes, I noticed and actually downloaded Ubuntu CE, though it may be easier
    just to download and install some of the additional software packages. I
    thought I might do it if it was the 64-bit version, but I'm not sure how
    to tell, and I'm frankly wary of overwriting a working configruation.

    > I am an agnostic pagan myself, so don't bother with such stuff, but to
    > each his own.

    Hey, God loves agnostic pagans too. You may not know him, but he knows
    you. :-)

  2. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    On 2008-09-18, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:44:46 +0000, preacher wrote:
    >

    >> The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    >> application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    > If you uses synaptic, and search for the word "bible" you will find there
    > are a few bible programs available. Maybe one or more of these can
    > replace the pricey bible application you are using with windows. Who
    > knows, maybe you will like the free version. And you can share it with
    > everyone in your church, without charging them.
    >
    > stonerfish

    Preacher:

    gnomesword is what I use.

    http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/

    although it might be possible for the OP to get "online bible" to work under wine.

    http://www.onlinebible.net/

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  3. Re: Update Re: Wubi installation failure - can you help?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:11:02 GMT, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:44:46 +0000, preacher wrote:
    >

    >> The main thing I'd need to run is a proprietary (and pricey) Bible
    >> application. Don't know if it'll run under Wine.

    > If you uses synaptic, and search for the word "bible" you will find there
    > are a few bible programs available. Maybe one or more of these can
    > replace the pricey bible application you are using with windows. Who
    > knows, maybe you will like the free version. And you can share it with
    > everyone in your church, without charging them.
    >
    > stonerfish

    Actually there are quite a few Bible programs in the repositories.
    I just checked and was pleasantly surprised.

    Like the others say, give your commercial program a try under Wine.
    As long as it doesn't use some crazy copy protection scheme, there is a
    decent chance it might work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: