Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor. Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a better choice. This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.

    Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    that it would be a better choice.

    This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    documents - though a browser would be nice.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick wrote:

    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    > that it would be a better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    > documents - though a browser would be nice.

    Slackware.

  3. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:

    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    > better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    > a browser would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    machines.

  4. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:
    >
    >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    >> better choice.
    >>
    >> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    >> a browser would be nice.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    > DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    > machines.

    Check Distrowatch for suggestions also.
    In addition to DSL you might give Puppy Linux a go.
    IIRC even the lightweight alternate installation of Ubuntu with XFCE
    might be a little heavy for a 266 nachine.

    From the link below "A Pentium 4, 1GHz system is the minimum
    recommended for a desktop system. "

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...are-reqts.html

  5. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 04:06:15 +0200 (CEST), Vance Howard wrote:
    >On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:

    >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    >> better choice.
    >>
    >> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    >> a browser would be nice.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    >You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    >DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    >machines.

    Just about any distro will let you set up a lightweight system. Only
    exception that comes to mind is suse which has such a pig of an
    installer that it needs a p4 and a half gig of ram.

  6. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    "kryos" wrote in message
    > Vance Howard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:
    >>
    >>> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    >>> better choice.
    >>>
    >>> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    >>> a browser would be nice.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    >> DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    >> machines.

    > Check Distrowatch for suggestions also.
    > In addition to DSL you might give Puppy Linux a go.
    > IIRC even the lightweight alternate installation of Ubuntu with XFCE
    > might be a little heavy for a 266 nachine.
    >
    > From the link below "A Pentium 4, 1GHz system is the minimum
    > recommended for a desktop system. "
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...are-reqts.html

    But you can get away with less. I ran it on a laptop w. 512M RAM, 800MHz
    PIII without issues. Mind you, I retired it in April because I didn't want
    to spend the cash for a replacement battery.

  7. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    In article , Vance Howard wrote:
    >On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:
    >
    >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    >> better choice.
    >>
    >> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    >> a browser would be nice.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    >You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    >DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    >machines.

    ... but ... is there a version that boots from floppy ?

    I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    option.
    I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't yet
    found an answer.

    Thanks

  8. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Frederick illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    > that it would be a better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    > documents - though a browser would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks!

    You'll probably get more joy from Xubuntu.

    I also like puppy linux which will feel far snappier on your hardware.

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  9. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    So...

    Puppy or Damn Small.

    Thanks.

  10. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Moog wrote:
    > Frederick illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    >> that it would be a better choice.
    >>
    >> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    >> documents - though a browser would be nice.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > You'll probably get more joy from Xubuntu.
    >
    > I also like puppy linux which will feel far snappier on your hardware.

    Dam Small Linux, Feather Linux, Puppy (oh we agree on this)

    http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

    Small Linux Distos into Google will give you more.

    Forget any of the modern, main stream distros. 256RAM need for GUI, 266MHZ
    is SFA clock cycles to get the work done .

    Of course text documents can be done by vi, or etc. e-mail by Pine. Neither
    of which need a GUI, other than a terminal "interface".

    Easy once the Internet connection is made. ;-)

    If you want a GUI, Gnome and KDE are far too modern, power consumering. Xfce
    is a lightweight GUI (Xubuntu uses it)

    Have fun. And do try out the several/many/all of the small Linux distros,
    for they are free.

  11. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Frederick wrote:

    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    > that it would be a better choice.

    Xubuntu is quite lightweight - it uses the XFCE desktop, and has quite low
    system requirements. However, your machine might be very slow even with
    this, so you should examine DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux.

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

    http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads

    HTH

    Chris

  12. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Canuck57 wrote:

    > "kryos" wrote in message
    >> Vance Howard wrote:
    >>
    >> From the link below "A Pentium 4, 1GHz system is the minimum
    >> recommended for a desktop system. "
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...are-reqts.html

    > But you can get away with less. I ran it on a laptop w. 512M RAM, 800MHz
    > PIII without issues. Mind you, I retired it in April because I didn't want
    > to spend the cash for a replacement battery.

    This is the lower practical limit in my view. I have been using a similar
    machine specs wise, recently. I works but the CPU is busy just running light
    programmes.

  13. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    > it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    > option.
    > I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    > Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't
    > yet found an answer.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads

    Puppy has instructions for "other" installs - have a look.

    HTH

    Chris

  14. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz (Bruce Sinclair) wrote
    in news:gangos$i7r$1@aioe.org:

    > I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...*
    > but* it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not
    > a bios option.
    > I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's
    > possible. Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new,
    > but I haven't yet found an answer.
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

  15. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Frederick wrote:

    > So...
    >
    > Puppy or Damn Small.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try both - they're both free! You'll have to expend a couple of CDs, but
    that's not too expensive!

    C.

  16. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Landfill.

    --
    Chris Game

    "Common sense is that layer of prejudices which we acquire before
    we are sixteen." -- Albert Einstein

  17. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Chris Game schreef:
    > Landfill.

    Always recycle.

  18. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    "Chris Game" wrote in message
    > Landfill.

    freeNAS surely, if it has a hdd.

  19. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick wrote:

    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    > better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    > a browser would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Have a look at VectorLinux Lite edition which will run in 64Mb. You may
    well need a third-party linux boot disk which will mount the CD-ROM so
    that you can install from the latter. There are plenty to chhose from in
    the link given elsewhere on this thread.

  20. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote:
    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    > that it would be a better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    > documents - though a browser would be nice.

    I have a similar specced machine with DSL on it - works nicely but
    does take ages to boot.

    --
    -Toby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast