Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; Toby Newman wrote: > On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote: >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor. >> >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light >> that it would be a better choice. >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Toby Newman wrote:
    > On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote:
    >> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    >> that it would be a better choice.
    >>
    >> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    >> documents - though a browser would be nice.

    > I have a similar specced machine with DSL on it - works nicely but
    > does take ages to boot.

    With DSL on such a laptop, is there a viewer/player that
    will enable watching a movie?

  2. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Chris Game schreef:
    >> Landfill.

    > Always recycle.

    Doorstop.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  3. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick wrote:

    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    > better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    > a browser would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Ubuntu takes, as I recall, at least 256mb to do a graphical install -
    don't recall about a text one. IMHO - you're probably not going to be
    satisfied with either KDE or Gnome on that machine. I installed Elive on a
    p166 with 64 mb last year - it was quite usable. I would suggest you
    explore that. Other alternatives would include vector, damn small or puppy
    - don't try Vista.

  4. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:05:31 -0700, Frederick wrote:

    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote:
    >>> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be
    >>> a better choice.
    >>>
    >>> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents -
    >>> though a browser would be nice.

    >> I have a similar specced machine with DSL on it - works nicely but does
    >> take ages to boot.
    >>

    > With DSL on such a laptop, is there a viewer/player that will enable
    > watching a movie?

    It's doubtful that a movie viewer would be usable. There should be some
    movie viewers in their repositories you could give them a try but you
    shouldn't be disappointed if they don't work.

  5. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote:
    > Toby Newman wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-16, Frederick wrote:
    >>> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    >>> that it would be a better choice.
    >>>
    >>> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    >>> documents - though a browser would be nice.

    >> I have a similar specced machine with DSL on it - works nicely but
    >> does take ages to boot.

    > With DSL on such a laptop, is there a viewer/player that
    > will enable watching a movie?

    Not something I've tried, I'm afraid.

    --
    -Toby

  6. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Frederick wrote:
    >> Frederick
    >>> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu?

    No.

    > With DSL on such a laptop, is there a viewer/player that
    > will enable watching a movie?

    A movie on a CD? What format, VCD? Old CD-i? Some other vcd derivative?
    The old LT isn't DVD.

    DSL apps http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html Featured Desktop
    applications used in Damn Small Linux

    .... I don't see a player in the default.

    Check out Puppy http://www.puppylinux.org/

    ... and VLC.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Frederick hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > So...
    >
    > Puppy or Damn Small.

    One route I took to install DSL was to remove the HDD from
    the Lap-top and rigged it up on my main-box.

    Installed the OS, made a few changes and then compiled a
    kernel, it was on a 846 CPU with 16MB of RAM, don't think
    the HDD was/is the original.

    If you want to go that route... post it here in the NG if
    you need more hints...

    > Thanks.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  8. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, Bruce Sinclair hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > In article , Vance Howard wrote:
    >>On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:
    >>
    >>> This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light that it would be a
    >>> better choice.
    >>>
    >>> This laptop needs only to do email and generate text documents - though
    >>> a browser would be nice.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >>You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    >>DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    >>machines.

    > .. but ... is there a version that boots from floppy ?
    >
    > I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    > it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    > option.
    > I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    > Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't yet
    > found an answer.

    One would be to hook up the HDD on another box, install the
    SW, compile a kernel and then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst for
    that Lap-top, done it here. I've installed it on a 486 with
    16MB of RAM but even the gui is rather slow, so I use vi, mc
    and lynx to read HTML pages I transferred using floppies in
    the shell if I start the thing at all. :-)

    > Thanks

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  9. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    OKAY - Thanks!

    I'll begin with DSL minimal, adding one item at a time
    to check the unit's operation.

    Presumably, the correct procedure would be to drop DSL
    onto a CD, then run through its own disk partitioning
    and install to achieve dual-boot.

    That old bios won't boot from USB (it's 1.0, too), so
    it's CD.

    If that doesn't work, I'll try Puppy...

  10. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    * Frederick :
    > This is an old Lifebook 12" with a 266MHz P3M processor.
    >
    > Ubuntu? Or is there another Linux derivative so light
    > that it would be a better choice.
    >
    > This laptop needs only to do email and generate text
    > documents - though a browser would be nice.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I am running a bit beefier system, 50MHZ Pentium M and 192M RAM. I
    installed ubuntu server and fluxbox for a window manager. I later
    installed all the software I wanted, mutt, slrn, vi, firefox, vlc and
    more. I got lucky and had an old Orinoco card and got the wireless to
    work. Just my two cents...

  11. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    In article <6j91hsF229fuU2@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    >> it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    >> option.
    >> I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    >> Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't
    >> yet found an answer.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads
    >
    >Puppy has instructions for "other" installs - have a look.

    Ah ... I never got that far. Thanks I will check it out.

  12. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    In article , propman wrote:
    >bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz (Bruce Sinclair) wrote
    >in news:gangos$i7r$1@aioe.org:
    >
    >> I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...*
    >> but* it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not
    >> a bios option.
    >> I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's
    >> possible. Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new,
    >> but I haven't yet found an answer.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

    Thanks

  13. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    In article <20080916192607.554@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >On 2008-09-16, Bruce Sinclair hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> In article , Vance Howard

    > wrote:
    >>>On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:19:57 -0700, Frederick thought:

    >>>You could try it to see if it works. There is also a ditribution named
    >>>DSL which stands for damn small linux. It works with older slower
    >>>machines.

    >> .. but ... is there a version that boots from floppy ?
    >>
    >> I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    >> it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    >> option.
    >> I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    >> Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't yet
    >> found an answer.

    >One would be to hook up the HDD on another box, install the
    >SW, compile a kernel and then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst for
    >that Lap-top, done it here. I've installed it on a 486 with
    >16MB of RAM but even the gui is rather slow, so I use vi, mc
    >and lynx to read HTML pages I transferred using floppies in
    >the shell if I start the thing at all. :-)

    Yeah I did think of that option ... but it's probably rather more time and
    effort than I want to spend on a 486

    Thanks

  14. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <20080916192607.554@DK-Slivowitz.org.invalid>, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-16, Bruce Sinclair hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >>> .. but ... is there a version that boots from floppy ?
    >>>
    >>> I have a 486 dx100 (yep, ancient ) that I would love to linux ...* but*
    >>> it can boot from hard disk or floppy. Booting from the CD is not a bios
    >>> option.
    >>> I'd like to boot from floppy, then load from CD ... if that's possible.
    >>> Anyone have a solution ? I'm sure the problem is not new, but I haven't yet
    >>> found an answer.
    >>>

    >> One would be to hook up the HDD on another box, install the
    >> SW, compile a kernel and then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst for
    >> that Lap-top, done it here. I've installed it on a 486 with
    >> 16MB of RAM but even the gui is rather slow, so I use vi, mc
    >> and lynx to read HTML pages I transferred using floppies in
    >> the shell if I start the thing at all. :-)
    >>

    > Yeah I did think of that option ... but it's probably rather more time and
    > effort than I want to spend on a 486
    >
    > Thanks

    All depends on your needs for the box. It won't be a good "surfing"
    computer, but could be a fine server.

    I installed Red Hat 5.2 on a "cheap" 33 MHz 486SLC/E (no coprocessor)
    with only 16 MB of RAM. Not much good for anything, but neither is
    building a ship in a bottle. ;-)

    Debian 3.1 and 4.0 plus Ubuntu 5.10, 6.06, and 8.04 all run on AMD-K6
    233 and 266 MHz PCs, with 48 to 128 MB of RAM.

    I have several old Pentiums from 75 MHz to 233 MHz that are running
    distros like Fedora Core 3, Lindows 4.5.316, Mandrake 8.0 and 10.1 and
    Slackware 10.1.

    The Debian 4.0 will go into a minimal hardware install if it detects the
    need. Ubuntu has a server edition that also doesn't require much hardware.

    The biggest hurdle is old hardware that will not support much RAM. This
    makes it run slow because it frequently spools to swap.

    For the old clunkers that won't boot from a CD-ROM, or use a non-PCI or
    ISA IDE controller, like Creative SB CD-ROM with their Creative IDE
    controller card, I use Smart Boot Manager on a floppy to boot a Linux
    CD. Good tool to have: http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

    Another good tool to have available is tomsrtbt on a floppy. It's handy
    for investigating and reporting on what hardware is in a PC.
    http://www.toms.net/rb

    Use standard hardware interrogating commands like:

    dmesg
    sudo ddcprobe
    sudo dmidecode
    sudo lshw
    sudo lspci -v
    sudo lsusb -v

    --
    John

  15. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    On 2008-09-16, dennis@home wrote:
    > "Chris Game" wrote in message
    >> Landfill.

    > freeNAS surely, if it has a hdd.

    Have you used freeNAS? Any good?

    --
    -Toby

  16. Re: Old laptop with 96MB Ram --- Ubuntu?

    Toby Newman wrote:

    > On 2008-09-16, dennis@home wrote:
    >> "Chris Game" wrote in message
    >>> Landfill.

    >> freeNAS surely, if it has a hdd.

    > Have you used freeNAS? Any good?

    Beyond good. Excellent piece of software.

    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2