roaming wireless broken after update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on roaming wireless broken after update - Ubuntu ; [ste parker] wrote: > After a brief piece of update OCD (why if all is working fine can't I > just leave well alone!), roaming wireless now just doesn't pick up any > wireless signals anymore on my laptop (IBM ...

  1. roaming wireless broken after update

    [ste parker] wrote:

    > After a brief piece of update OCD (why if all is working fine can't I
    > just leave well alone!), roaming wireless now just doesn't pick up any
    > wireless signals anymore on my laptop (IBM Z61m). *This is Ubuntu 7.04,
    > I was planning on updating that too! *Previously, straight after boot
    > the wireless kicked in and requested the keyring access password before
    > connecting, now that doesn't happen and the network icon just shows an
    > "!". Any suggestions to where I should be looking, and what I should be
    > looking out for? */etc/network/interfaces is the same as it was prior to
    > the updates, and I don't see anything untoward in the system logs but I
    > may well be looking for the wrong thing. *Selecting the older kernel
    > version at boot doesn't seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Given I have the same situation on my desktop machine (albeit roaming
    > wireless has never worked here, Ubuntu 7.10), I'm hopeful I can get
    > round it by setting up a manual connection which is what I had to do on
    > this machine, but given it's a laptop I'd still prefer if I could get
    > the roaming part up and running again if possible - there should be at
    > least 4 wireless access points visible.
    >
    > cheers,

    I really know that pain! *I've found that Network Manager is seriously
    broken, despite several "upgrades" to it. *I just install WICD as a
    replacement - the installation routine removes Network Mangler, and
    it "Just Works".

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

    Just follow the instructions for Ubuntu.

    HTH

    Chris

  2. Re: roaming wireless broken after update

    Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > I really know that pain! I've found that Network Manager is seriously
    > broken, despite several "upgrades" to it. I just install WICD as a
    > replacement - the installation routine removes Network Mangler, and
    > it "Just Works".
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >
    > Just follow the instructions for Ubuntu.

    Thanks, I'll look into it. However, I think there may be a conspiracy
    afoot - I can't find any of my spare network cables :-\

    --
    [ste]

+ Reply to Thread