roaming wireless broken after update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on roaming wireless broken after update - Ubuntu ; After a brief piece of update OCD (why if all is working fine can't I just leave well alone!), roaming wireless now just doesn't pick up any wireless signals anymore on my laptop (IBM Z61m). This is Ubuntu 7.04, I ...

  1. roaming wireless broken after update

    After a brief piece of update OCD (why if all is working fine can't I
    just leave well alone!), roaming wireless now just doesn't pick up any
    wireless signals anymore on my laptop (IBM Z61m). This is Ubuntu 7.04,
    I was planning on updating that too! Previously, straight after boot
    the wireless kicked in and requested the keyring access password before
    connecting, now that doesn't happen and the network icon just shows an
    "!". Any suggestions to where I should be looking, and what I should be
    looking out for? /etc/network/interfaces is the same as it was prior to
    the updates, and I don't see anything untoward in the system logs but I
    may well be looking for the wrong thing. Selecting the older kernel
    version at boot doesn't seem to make any difference.

    Given I have the same situation on my desktop machine (albeit roaming
    wireless has never worked here, Ubuntu 7.10), I'm hopeful I can get
    round it by setting up a manual connection which is what I had to do on
    this machine, but given it's a laptop I'd still prefer if I could get
    the roaming part up and running again if possible - there should be at
    least 4 wireless access points visible.

    cheers,

    --
    [ste]

  2. Re: roaming wireless broken after update

    [ste parker] illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > After a brief piece of update OCD (why if all is working fine can't I
    > just leave well alone!), roaming wireless now just doesn't pick up any
    > wireless signals anymore on my laptop (IBM Z61m). This is Ubuntu 7.04,
    > I was planning on updating that too! Previously, straight after boot
    > the wireless kicked in and requested the keyring access password before
    > connecting, now that doesn't happen and the network icon just shows an
    > "!". Any suggestions to where I should be looking, and what I should be
    > looking out for? /etc/network/interfaces is the same as it was prior to
    > the updates, and I don't see anything untoward in the system logs but I
    > may well be looking for the wrong thing. Selecting the older kernel
    > version at boot doesn't seem to make any difference.
    >
    > Given I have the same situation on my desktop machine (albeit roaming
    > wireless has never worked here, Ubuntu 7.10), I'm hopeful I can get
    > round it by setting up a manual connection which is what I had to do on
    > this machine, but given it's a laptop I'd still prefer if I could get
    > the roaming part up and running again if possible - there should be at
    > least 4 wireless access points visible.
    >
    > cheers,

    Post the output of
    $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    and
    $ cat /etc/hosts

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  3. Re: roaming wireless broken after update

    Moog wrote:

    > Post the output of
    > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    > and
    > $ cat /etc/hosts

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 LAWSONZ60M

    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

    Hostname of the machine is LAWSONZ60M

    --
    [ste]

  4. Re: roaming wireless broken after update

    Moog wrote:

    > Post the output of
    > $ cat /etc/network/interfaces
    >
    > and
    > $ cat /etc/hosts

    I, er, found the problem... the hardware wireless switch was off. Of
    course, I blame the girlfriend who has been mainly using the machine

    --
    [ste]

+ Reply to Thread