Fedora to Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Fedora to Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my laptop. I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu. I have the CDs provided with Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10) and Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06) ...

  1. Fedora to Ubuntu

    I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my
    laptop. I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.

    I have the CDs provided with

    Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)

    and

    Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)

    Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD (DVD)
    and running the install on that partition or would that leave me in a
    world of hurt?

    There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

  2. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    Richard L Walker wrote:

    > I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my
    > laptop. I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have the CDs provided with
    >
    > Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    > and
    > Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)
    >
    > Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD
    > (DVD) and running the install on that partition or would that
    > leave me in a world of hurt?
    >
    > There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

    6.06 is a long term support version, but support will run out in
    the next year. 8.04 is the replacement long term version, so I
    suggest you use that. (6.10 is no longer supported).

    The numbers are the year and month of release.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    As CBFalconer alluded to, download a 8.04.1 CD instead.

    On 2008-09-15, Richard L Walker wrote:
    > I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my
    > laptop. I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have the CDs provided with
    >
    > Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    >
    > and
    >
    > Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)
    >
    > Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD (DVD)
    > and running the install on that partition or would that leave me in a
    > world of hurt?
    >
    > There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    Richard L Walker wrote:

    > I have the CDs provided with
    >
    > Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    >
    > and
    >
    > Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)

    Do you have a CD burner so that you can download and install a more recent
    Ubuntu? Alternatively you can very economically buy a newer version.
    OSDisc sells 8.04.1 for $1.95 (plus 2.95 shipping)

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu Download now - Download the Ubuntu,
    Edubuntu or Kubuntu CD installer to your computer now.

    Your IP address looks like you might be on a cox dialup in Clovis, NM.
    There is a Ubuntu LoCo (local community) that might know of someone in
    Clovis with a newer version disk. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam
    This is the US Ubuntu New Mexico LoCo Team. Many of us are in Albuquerque.
    However, we are a statewide team,

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:52:25 -0500, Richard L Walker wrote:

    > I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my laptop.
    > I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have the CDs provided with
    >
    > Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    >
    > and
    >
    > Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)
    >
    > Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD (DVD) and
    > running the install on that partition or would that leave me in a world
    > of hurt?
    >
    > There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

    Redhat and Ubuntu start numbering the user and group numbers at different
    places, Redhat starts at 500, Ubuntu at 1000, this can lead to problems
    with your home directory. The way to fix this is to mount your /home
    partition as something else, /user for example. After you've booted Ubuntu
    you can do two things. If you are planning on going back to Fedora at
    sometime or to have a multi-boot with Fedora you should edit your
    /etc/passwd file and /etc/group file to change your user and group numbers
    from the Ubuntu numbers to the Fedora numbers, i.e. if you are the only
    user your Ubuntu user number will be 1000, you should change that to 500.
    Alternatively if you plan on staying with Ubuntu you should just do a
    chown and chgrp on your home directory so that it uses the Ubuntu
    numbering scheme. After you have fixed the ownership issues you can either
    do a soft link from /home/foo to /user/foo or edit /etc/fstab to change
    the mount point of the home partition back for /user to /home.

  6. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:52:25 -0500, Richard L Walker wrote:

    > I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my laptop.
    > I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have the CDs provided with
    >
    > Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    >
    > and
    >
    > Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)
    >
    > Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD (DVD) and
    > running the install on that partition or would that leave me in a world
    > of hurt?
    >
    > There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

    Yes it is that easy BUT - I'd certainly go with a newer version of Ubuntu.

  7. Re: Fedora to Ubuntu

    On 2008-09-15, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:52:25 -0500, Richard L Walker wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently running a dual boot (Windows XP and Fedora) on my laptop.
    >> I'd like to replace the Fedora system with Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> I have the CDs provided with
    >>
    >> Beginning Ubuntu Linux (version 6.10)
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> Moving to Ubuntu Linux (version 6.06)
    >>
    >> Is replacing Fedora with Ubuntu as simple as putting in the CD (DVD) and
    >> running the install on that partition or would that leave me in a world
    >> of hurt?
    >>
    >> There is no data saved under Fedora worth saving.

    > Redhat and Ubuntu start numbering the user and group numbers at different
    > places, Redhat starts at 500, Ubuntu at 1000, this can lead to problems
    > with your home directory. The way to fix this is to mount your /home
    > partition as something else, /user for example. After you've booted Ubuntu
    > you can do two things. If you are planning on going back to Fedora at
    > sometime or to have a multi-boot with Fedora you should edit your
    > /etc/passwd file and /etc/group file to change your user and group numbers
    > from the Ubuntu numbers to the Fedora numbers, i.e. if you are the only
    > user your Ubuntu user number will be 1000, you should change that to 500.
    > Alternatively if you plan on staying with Ubuntu you should just do a
    > chown and chgrp on your home directory so that it uses the Ubuntu
    > numbering scheme. After you have fixed the ownership issues you can either
    > do a soft link from /home/foo to /user/foo or edit /etc/fstab to change
    > the mount point of the home partition back for /user to /home.

    It looks like he isn't planning on trying to save his home directory,
    but rather wipe all of his Fedora partition(s) and starting over with
    Ubuntu... So, none of that would be necessary...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread