EEE Pc Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on EEE Pc Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well? -- Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating from Google Groups. If you want ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ignoramus22875 wrote:
    > Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    Here is the guide to the guides from the ub docs at Community:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC Ubuntu on the EeePC

    This documentation has been divided up in to three main sections:
    Installing Ubuntu - recommended installation settings
    Fixing Ubuntu - modifications required for hardware support
    Using & Tweaking Ubuntu - extra tips and optimisations

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > Ignoramus22875 wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    > If you search on that, you will find a lot.
    >
    > Here is the guide to the guides from the ub docs at Community:
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC Ubuntu on the EeePC
    >
    > This documentation has been divided up in to three main sections:
    > Installing Ubuntu - recommended installation settings
    > Fixing Ubuntu - modifications required for hardware support
    > Using & Tweaking Ubuntu - extra tips and optimisations
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    There are also some user subgroups here:

    http://forum.eeeuser.com/

    Actually, the Linux that comes preinstalled (Xandros) works great. After
    having tried Ubuntu, I see little reason to change.

    Ed

  4. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Mike Easter"

    >> If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    That is you citing my sig. Optimally you would only be citing those words
    of mine which you are addressing and you would be trimming everything
    else, either automatically or 'by hand'.

    Most newsreaders autotrim sigs, but OE doesn't do that in spite of years
    of criticisms about what it doesn't do that most newsreader can be
    configured for. OE users would need to manually trim sigs along with
    everything else they trim.

    > There are also some user subgroups here:
    >
    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/
    >
    > Actually, the Linux that comes preinstalled (Xandros) works great.
    > After having tried Ubuntu, I see little reason to change.

    Thanks for the eeepc/xandros feedback from a user perspective. I haven't
    used either, but I would love to have something like an eeepc. There was
    recently a great sale newspaper promotion on a Acer Aspire One at BestBuy
    which was configured slightly differently than any of the 9
    products/configurations listed at the Acer site http://snipr.com/3q5cd
    Configurations

    Acer lists a Linux Linpus model in 2 SSD configurations with 512 ddr2 ram
    (no hdd option, no 1G ram option) and 7 other configs with XP on that
    site. None of those configs exactly matched with the promotional deal
    which was XP with 1G ram and 80G hdd. It was selling for $374 +tax.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    On 2008-09-14, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    >> Ignoramus22875 wrote:
    >>> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    >> If you search on that, you will find a lot.
    >>
    >> Here is the guide to the guides from the ub docs at Community:
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC Ubuntu on the EeePC
    >>
    >> This documentation has been divided up in to three main sections:
    >> Installing Ubuntu - recommended installation settings
    >> Fixing Ubuntu - modifications required for hardware support
    >> Using & Tweaking Ubuntu - extra tips and optimisations
    >>

    > There are also some user subgroups here:
    >
    > http://forum.eeeuser.com/
    >
    > Actually, the Linux that comes preinstalled (Xandros) works great. After
    > having tried Ubuntu, I see little reason to change.
    >
    > Ed

    Ed, I guess as long as I can install various stuff, like gcc, perl,
    ssh etc I will be happy. SSH is a biggie for me.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    > That is you citing my sig. Optimally you would only be citing those words
    > of mine which you are addressing and you would be trimming everything
    > else, either automatically or 'by hand'.

    Wow. Sorry, I didn't mean to waste your precious bandwidth. (tongue in
    cheek)

    Actually, another "user perspective", get one of the slightly larger units
    for the screen resolution. The 7" models are 800*480 which will not display
    *most* webpages full width (i.e. you have to scroll left and right to see
    the full width). And, that I have seen, this applies to the other makes
    (i.e. not only ASUS). The 9" (8.9") and 10" models are 1024*600 and are
    much easier on the eyes. The size of the smaller screen unit is great. I
    wish the resolution was there.

    Ed

  7. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    Ubuntu and it works OK.

    However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)

    To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    different for the Eee.

    You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    know your way around linux a little.

    BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    ask for one? TIA.

    It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    like one hell of a security issue to me.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  8. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Moog wrote:

    > BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    > a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    > ask for one? TIA.
    >
    > It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    > like one hell of a security issue to me.

    Maybe have a look at the sudoers file (sudo visudo). It's possible that they
    gave the first user the right to run su without password.

  9. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Tobias Brandt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >> ask for one? TIA.
    >>
    >> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>

    > Maybe have a look at the sudoers file (sudo visudo). It's possible that they
    > gave the first user the right to run su without password.

    Yup. The "NOPSSWD: ALL" flag was set. Commenting this out worked a
    treat.

    Thanks.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  10. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    > It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    > like one hell of a security issue to me.

    The fact that iptables support is not compiled into the kernel it a little
    odd too.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  11. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    > I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    > Ubuntu and it works OK.
    >
    > However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    > (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)
    >
    > To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    > installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    > different for the Eee.
    >
    > You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    > know your way around linux a little.
    >
    > BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    > a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    > ask for one? TIA.

    sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.

    > It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    > like one hell of a security issue to me.

    It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> That is you citing my sig. Optimally you would only be citing those
    >> words of mine which you are addressing and you would be trimming
    >> everything else, either automatically or 'by hand'.

    > Wow. Sorry, I didn't mean to waste your precious bandwidth. (tongue in
    > cheek)

    Rather than a few (extra) lines of plaintext, it is really about
    encouraging contextualizing by trimming as opposed to bottom posting,
    which can sometimes seem to be worse than top posting and provides fodder
    for the top posters to argue over.

    Thank you for trimming this one.

    > Actually, another "user perspective", get one of the slightly larger
    > units for the screen resolution. The 7" models are 800*480 which will
    > not display *most* webpages full width (i.e. you have to scroll left
    > and right to see the full width). And, that I have seen, this applies
    > to the other makes (i.e. not only ASUS). The 9" (8.9") and 10" models
    > are 1024*600 and are much easier on the eyes. The size of the smaller
    > screen unit is great. I wish the resolution was there.

    I'm getting what you mean. There needs to be enough screen realestate so
    that there is an appropriate 'balance' of fontsize and pagewidth.
    Somewhere near 9-10 seems to be about right and would go along with the
    keyboard size issue as well.

    --
    Mike Easter

  13. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    news:w7udnfbUosht3VDVnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, another "user perspective", get one of the slightly larger
    >> units for the screen resolution. The 7" models are 800*480 which will
    >> not display *most* webpages full width (i.e. you have to scroll left
    >> and right to see the full width). And, that I have seen, this applies
    >> to the other makes (i.e. not only ASUS). The 9" (8.9") and 10" models
    >> are 1024*600 and are much easier on the eyes. The size of the smaller
    >> screen unit is great. I wish the resolution was there.

    > I'm getting what you mean. There needs to be enough screen realestate so
    > that there is an appropriate 'balance' of fontsize and pagewidth.
    > Somewhere near 9-10 seems to be about right and would go along with the
    > keyboard size issue as well.

    The 9" model is very close to the same size as the 7" and has the same
    keyboard (according to the reviews I've read.) The placement of the
    speakers is changed to accomodate the larger screen. The 10" is a larger
    case and has a slightly larger keyboard. FWIW, I don't have a problem with
    the kb on the 7". I've had hands-on with the 7" and 10". For me, I think
    the 9" is the right compromise. Apparently with the prices, it seems to be
    the popular opinion (i.e. the 9" is a little more expensive than the 10").
    I also think it is worthwhile to think of these little computers for what
    they are, which is *not* a substitute for a desktop. Better than a PDA but
    not as full blown as a desktop. YMMV, of course.

    Ed

  14. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ignoramus10454 wrote:
    > On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?
    >>>

    >> I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    >> Ubuntu and it works OK.
    >>
    >> However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    >> (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)
    >>
    >> To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    >> installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    >> different for the Eee.
    >>
    >> You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    >> know your way around linux a little.
    >>
    >> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >> ask for one? TIA.
    >>

    > sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    > sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.

    But you missed where Moog stated he achieved unrestricted access WITHOUT
    A PASSWORD.

    Perhaps he already had provided a password, and the timer had not yet
    expired?

    >> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>

    > It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    > from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    It's odd if you do not need to provide a password, eh?

    Maybe Moog will run the test again, and confirm that an earlier-entered
    sudo password is not still in effect?

    --
    John

  15. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    On 2008-09-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus10454 wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    >>> Ubuntu and it works OK.
    >>>
    >>> However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    >>> (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)
    >>>
    >>> To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    >>> installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    >>> different for the Eee.
    >>>
    >>> You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    >>> know your way around linux a little.
    >>>
    >>> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >>> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >>> ask for one? TIA.
    >>>

    >> sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    >> sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.
    >>

    > But you missed where Moog stated he achieved unrestricted access WITHOUT
    > A PASSWORD.
    >
    > Perhaps he already had provided a password, and the timer had not yet
    > expired?

    that would be my hope.

    >>> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >>> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>>

    >> It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    >> from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    > It's odd if you do not need to provide a password, eh?
    >
    > Maybe Moog will run the test again, and confirm that an earlier-entered
    > sudo password is not still in effect?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" wrote in message
    > news:w7udnfbUosht3VDVnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@earthlink.co m...

    >> Somewhere near 9-10 seems to be about right and would go along with the
    >> keyboard size issue as well.
    >>

    > The 9" model is very close to the same size as the 7" and has the same
    > keyboard (according to the reviews I've read.) The placement of the
    > speakers is changed to accomodate the larger screen. The 10" is a larger
    > case and has a slightly larger keyboard. FWIW, I don't have a problem
    > with
    > the kb on the 7".

    Nor me. I'm typing this on a 7-incher right now, quite happily. Very easy
    to get used to. Though maybe if you're a touch-typist your workflow may be
    impeded a little.

  17. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Ignoramus10454 wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    >>> Ubuntu and it works OK.
    >>>
    >>> However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    >>> (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)
    >>>
    >>> To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    >>> installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    >>> different for the Eee.
    >>>
    >>> You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    >>> know your way around linux a little.
    >>>
    >>> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >>> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >>> ask for one? TIA.
    >>>

    >> sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    >> sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.
    >>

    > But you missed where Moog stated he achieved unrestricted access WITHOUT
    > A PASSWORD.
    >
    > Perhaps he already had provided a password, and the timer had not yet
    > expired?
    >

    >>> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >>> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>>

    >> It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    >> from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    > It's odd if you do not need to provide a password, eh?
    >
    > Maybe Moog will run the test again, and confirm that an earlier-entered
    > sudo password is not still in effect?

    I believe Moog is using an acer. But I can confirm that on the eeepc
    (customised xandros) the user can use sudo without being asked for a
    password.

    When you are using "simple mode" (the childish interface the eeepc arrives
    with) you are asked for a password when you first use the eeepc, and asked
    for it on subsequent startups. (You can decide to do without this if you
    wish.) But if you "move up" to "advanced mode" (a regularish KDE
    interface) for some reason the password prompt at startup no longer
    appears. But when you access an app like KNode, you *are* asked for the
    KDE wallet password still.

  18. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:22:22 -0500, Ignoramus22875 passed an empty day by
    writing:

    > Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    I never bothered with the EEE PC, it was close mind you. Instead I opted
    for a webbook from the Carphone Warehouse. There website advertises it
    with WINDROSS on it, but in store they had it running Hardy for £229.
    Massive storage (compared to EEE PC), bigger screen and probably the only
    reason I would have gone in their in the first place.

    Why all of their laptops on their website are shown with Windross (no
    mention of Linux) is open to speculation when they are selling them in-
    store.

    --
    GIVE IT TO ME! I WANT YOUR SPAM! givemespam@wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk
    h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t h o n e y p o t

  19. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    > If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    Popped in to PCWorld to kill 5 minutes and started playing with an Acer
    Aspire One with Linux installed.

    Quite a nice machine but amongst the on screen menu options I could not
    find a command line option, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't bring up a command line
    either.

    I'm sure there must be a way but at that point was wondering how you
    could install Ubuntu.

    Geoff Lane

  20. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ignoramus22875 wrote:

    > Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    I just remembered (please excuse my tardiness and mental absence): there's
    a "made for eeepc" version of ubuntu called eeebuntu. It lives at
    http://www.eeebuntu.org.

    They've got 2 flavours: "regular" eeebuntu 1.0, and eeebuntu netbook remix.
    I haven't tried either, but the comments on their forums seem positive.
    --
    If you're posting thru Google Groups - I can't see you!

    Free Usenet accounts @ motzarella.org

    HAIL ERIS!! HAIL KALLISTI!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast