EEE Pc Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on EEE Pc Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Ignoramus10454 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote: >> Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >>> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well? >> >> I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ignoramus10454 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-09-14, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus22875 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    >> I'm booting the Acer Aspire One from a persistent USB install of
    >> Ubuntu and it works OK.
    >>
    >> However, it's nowhere near as snappy as the preinstalled Linpus Lite
    >> (Acer modified Fedora Core 8)
    >>
    >> To be perfectly honest with you, I'd stick with the distribution
    >> installed and pop it into "advancedmode". I can't see that being any
    >> different for the Eee.
    >>
    >> You can do almost everything you can with a full blown distro if you
    >> know your way around linux a little.
    >>
    >> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >> ask for one? TIA.

    > sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    > sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.

    *without* a password?

    >> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >> like one hell of a security issue to me.

    > It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    > from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    *without* a password

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  2. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> BTW - Anyone know why "sudo su" gives unrestricted root access without
    >>> a password in this Acer tweakedFedora Core 8 and how I can make it
    >>> ask for one? TIA.
    >>>

    >> sudo su - is the standard way to get unlimited root access through
    >> sudo. When sudo executes su, it is already become root.

    > But you missed where Moog stated he achieved unrestricted access WITHOUT
    > A PASSWORD.
    >
    > Perhaps he already had provided a password, and the timer had not yet
    > expired?
    >

    >>> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >>> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>>

    >> It is not really. There are many ways to do whatever you want as root,
    >> from the first user, on Ubuntu. This is just one.

    > It's odd if you do not need to provide a password, eh?
    >
    > Maybe Moog will run the test again, and confirm that an earlier-entered
    > sudo password is not still in effect?

    No. It doesn't require a password even after a straight boot. No
    earlier password is ineffect

    The offending entry in the sudoers file reads
    %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

    If I comment that out, I am then asked for a password.

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  3. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Peter Chant illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> It's the only real odd thing I've found with the Aspire One. It seems
    >> like one hell of a security issue to me.
    >>

    > The fact that iptables support is not compiled into the kernel it a little
    > odd too.

    Crikey. So it is.

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  4. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Geoff Lane wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >>> Has anyone tried installing ubuntu on eee pc, does it wok well?

    >> If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    > Popped in to PCWorld to kill 5 minutes and started playing with an Acer
    > Aspire One with Linux installed.
    >
    > Quite a nice machine but amongst the on screen menu options I could not
    > find a command line option, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't bring up a command line
    > either.
    >
    > I'm sure there must be a way but at that point was wondering how you
    > could install Ubuntu.
    >
    > Geoff Lane

    ALT+F2 let's you run terminal which gives you a console.

    There are other ways as well, such as through the filemanager called Thunar
    or by setting the system up to using a right-click popup menu.

    Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable enough,
    supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12 seconds. My choice
    anyways.

    Cheers.

  5. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    AspireOne_User illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Geoff Lane wrote:

    >>> If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    >> Popped in to PCWorld to kill 5 minutes and started playing with an Acer
    >> Aspire One with Linux installed.
    >>
    >> Quite a nice machine but amongst the on screen menu options I could not
    >> find a command line option, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't bring up a command line
    >> either.
    >>
    >> I'm sure there must be a way but at that point was wondering how you
    >> could install Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane

    > ALT+F2 let's you run terminal which gives you a console.
    >
    > There are other ways as well, such as through the filemanager called Thunar
    > or by setting the system up to using a right-click popup menu.
    >
    > Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable enough,
    > supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12 seconds. My choice
    > anyways.

    I've got to agre with that. It's superb.

    Two things that I think should be ironed out though.

    1) You can access root using "sudo su" without a password
    2) IPTables is not implemented.

    Other than that, it's a great stab by Acer. The customised Fedora 8
    install is probably the most user friendly linux I've ever used.

    Cleverly done and *almost* immaculately implemented.

    Well done Acer.

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  6. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    AspireOne_User wrote:
    > Geoff Lane wrote:

    >>> If you search on that, you will find a lot.

    >> Popped in to PCWorld to kill 5 minutes and started playing with an Acer
    >> Aspire One with Linux installed.
    >>
    >> Quite a nice machine but amongst the on screen menu options I could not
    >> find a command line option, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't bring up a command line
    >> either.
    >>
    >> I'm sure there must be a way but at that point was wondering how you
    >> could install Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Geoff Lane

    > ALT+F2 let's you run terminal which gives you a console.
    >
    > There are other ways as well, such as through the filemanager called Thunar
    > or by setting the system up to using a right-click popup menu.
    >
    > Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable enough,
    > supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12 seconds. My choice
    > anyways.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Pity the linpus web site seems riddles with php errors.

    Cheers

    Ian

  7. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    AspireOne_User wrote:

    > Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable enough,
    > supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12 seconds. My choice
    > anyways.

    Thanks, looked a decent layout.

    Geoff

  8. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > AspireOne_User wrote:
    >> Geoff Lane wrote:

    >>> Popped in to PCWorld to kill 5 minutes and started playing with an Acer
    >>> Aspire One with Linux installed.
    >>>
    >>> Quite a nice machine but amongst the on screen menu options I could not
    >>> find a command line option, Ctrl-Alt-F1 didn't bring up a command line
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure there must be a way but at that point was wondering how you
    >>> could install Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Geoff Lane

    >> ALT+F2 let's you run terminal which gives you a console.
    >>
    >> There are other ways as well, such as through the filemanager called
    >> Thunar or by setting the system up to using a right-click popup menu.
    >>
    >> Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable
    >> enough, supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12 seconds.
    >> My choice anyways.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Pity the linpus web site seems riddles with php errors.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian

    The Linpus website isn't at all relevant to the version of Linpus on the
    Acer. Acer has heavily customized Linpus on the Aspire One.

    Cheers.

  9. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    AspireOne_User wrote:

    > Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:
    >
    >> AspireOne_User wrote:

    >>> Linpus is an excellent OS to use on this machine. It is customizable
    >>> enough, supports all the One's hardware, is lite and boots in 12
    >>> seconds. My choice anyways.

    > The Linpus website isn't at all relevant to the version of Linpus on
    > the Acer. Acer has heavily customized Linpus on the Aspire One.

    Just wonder how reliably a hardware company will provide users with
    updates and security patches.

    Günther

  10. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Günther Schwarz wrote:

    > AspireOne_User wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    >> The Linpus website isn't at all relevant to the version of Linpus on
    >> the Acer. Acer has heavily customized Linpus on the Aspire One.

    > Just wonder how reliably a hardware company will provide users with
    > updates and security patches.
    >
    > Günther

    So far it seems to be happening.

    Cheers.

  11. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    AspireOne_User wrote:

    > Günther Schwarz wrote:
    >
    >> AspireOne_User wrote:

    >>> The Linpus website isn't at all relevant to the version of Linpus on
    >>> the Acer. Acer has heavily customized Linpus on the Aspire One.

    >> Just wonder how reliably a hardware company will provide users with
    >> updates and security patches.

    > So far it seems to be happening.

    Good to know. But then time will tell how long their commitment lasts.

    Günther

  12. Re: EEE Pc Ubuntu

    Günther Schwarz wrote:

    > AspireOne_User wrote:
    >
    >> Günther Schwarz wrote:

    >>> Just wonder how reliably a hardware company will provide users with
    >>> updates and security patches.

    >> So far it seems to be happening.

    > Good to know. But then time will tell how long their commitment lasts.
    >
    > Günther

    Imagine they'll continue to support it as long as these netbooks keep
    selling like they are. They can't seem to keep up with the demand now.

    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2