Happy with Mepis 32 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Happy with Mepis 32 - Ubuntu ; Since Mepis is quite similar to Ubuntu, I thought it would be appropriate to post a message here: I'm using Simply Mepis 32 and wonder what the differences are between it and Ubuntu. I've noticed alot of similarities, but there ...

  1. Happy with Mepis 32

    Since Mepis is quite similar to Ubuntu, I thought it would be
    appropriate to post a message here:

    I'm using Simply Mepis 32 and wonder what the differences are
    between it and Ubuntu. I've noticed alot of similarities,
    but there must be some differences other than the name.

    I've also started using KDE and I must admit that I like it.
    It was hard to get used to and I'm still adjusting to the
    interface, but I think I'll stick with it.

    Here's a question: In Ubuntu, I didn't enable my root password,
    but Mepis made me turn on the root password, something I would rather
    not do. However, there are some admin functions that require a root
    password. Since I'm using sudo, can I make it so that I can use
    my sudo password when ever I need to do something via KDE as root?

    --
    Do you twitter? http://twitter.com
    Do you want to be a cranky geek? http://www.crankygeeks.com/

  2. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    John illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Since Mepis is quite similar to Ubuntu, I thought it would be
    > appropriate to post a message here:

    That depends on the content of the message.

    > I'm using Simply Mepis 32 and wonder what the differences are
    > between it and Ubuntu. I've noticed alot of similarities,
    > but there must be some differences other than the name.

    Mepis originally started using the Debian repsoitories. At this point
    it was similar ot Debian. In 2006, it moved to Ubuntu repositories, at
    which point, it became similar to Ubuntu.

    Basically, all Mepis packages are taken from Ubuntu. In other words,
    the distro is a little like a "remix".

    They design their own artwork, tweak the interfcae and decide which
    packages will and will not be included with the initial install. From
    then on in, you are sharing the Ubuntu package system.

    That's why you see simlarities.

    > I've also started using KDE and I must admit that I like it.
    > It was hard to get used to and I'm still adjusting to the
    > interface, but I think I'll stick with it.

    Good luck to you. KDE is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm a
    Gnome/XFCE man personally.

    > Here's a question: In Ubuntu, I didn't enable my root password,
    > but Mepis made me turn on the root password, something I would rather
    > not do. However, there are some admin functions that require a root
    > password. Since I'm using sudo, can I make it so that I can use
    > my sudo password when ever I need to do something via KDE as root?

    Yes. Install Ubuntu. ;-)

    --
    So I went to the dentist. He said "Say Aaah." I said "Why?" He said "My
    dog's died.'" ~ Tim Vine

  3. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Moog wrote:
    > John illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Since Mepis is quite similar to Ubuntu, I thought it would be
    >> appropriate to post a message here:

    > That depends on the content of the message.
    >
    >> I'm using Simply Mepis 32 and wonder what the differences are
    >> between it and Ubuntu. I've noticed alot of similarities,
    >> but there must be some differences other than the name.

    > Mepis originally started using the Debian repsoitories. At this point
    > it was similar ot Debian. In 2006, it moved to Ubuntu repositories, at
    > which point, it became similar to Ubuntu.
    >
    > Basically, all Mepis packages are taken from Ubuntu. In other words,
    > the distro is a little like a "remix".

    Warren ditched the Ubuntu base nearly a year ago. The current release
    from December '07, known as MEPIS 7, is based on Debian Etch. MEPIS 8,
    currently in beta, will be based on Debian Lenny. My guess is the OP is
    referring to the older, Ubuntu based version -- the default wallpaper
    says "SimplyMEPIS 32", while the current MEPIS 7 default wallpaper just
    says "MEPIS".

    > They design their own artwork, tweak the interfcae and decide which
    > packages will and will not be included with the initial install. From
    > then on in, you are sharing the Ubuntu package system.

    Again, that was the case for versions 6.0 and 6.5. And there was more to
    it than that. Warren builds his own kernel, and provides several unique
    tools for networking, users, system, and x-windows. I'd liken it more to
    what Clem does with Mint. But that's old news...

    > That's why you see simlarities.
    >
    >> I've also started using KDE and I must admit that I like it.
    >> It was hard to get used to and I'm still adjusting to the
    >> interface, but I think I'll stick with it.

    > Good luck to you. KDE is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm a
    > Gnome/XFCE man personally.

    To each his own. Me, I just can't get comfortable in any environment
    other than KDE. And IMO, the KDE integration and implementation that
    Warren has done with MEPIS is superior to anything out there.

    >> Here's a question: In Ubuntu, I didn't enable my root password,
    >> but Mepis made me turn on the root password, something I would rather
    >> not do. However, there are some admin functions that require a root
    >> password. Since I'm using sudo, can I make it so that I can use
    >> my sudo password when ever I need to do something via KDE as root?

    > Yes. Install Ubuntu. ;-)

    Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  4. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Again, that was the case for versions 6.0 and 6.5. And there was more to
    > it than that. Warren builds his own kernel.

    I simplified it to sit in with the tone of the OP.

    >> That's why you see simlarities.
    >>
    >>> I've also started using KDE and I must admit that I like it.
    >>> It was hard to get used to and I'm still adjusting to the
    >>> interface, but I think I'll stick with it.

    >> Good luck to you. KDE is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm a
    >> Gnome/XFCE man personally.

    > To each his own. Me, I just can't get comfortable in any environment
    > other than KDE. And IMO, the KDE integration and implementation that
    > Warren has done with MEPIS is superior to anything out there.

    Heathen. ;-)

    I'm still of the opinion that KDE is too "Windows-Like". So my opinion
    is stopping me from using it.

    In fact, other than K3B, I do not use *any* "K" apps now.

    >>> Here's a question: In Ubuntu, I didn't enable my root password,
    >>> but Mepis made me turn on the root password, something I would rather
    >>> not do. However, there are some admin functions that require a root
    >>> password. Since I'm using sudo, can I make it so that I can use
    >>> my sudo password when ever I need to do something via KDE as root?

    >> Yes. Install Ubuntu. ;-)

    > Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    Sacrilege. Burn him. Burn him. ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> To each his own. Me, I just can't get comfortable in any environment
    >> other than KDE. And IMO, the KDE integration and implementation that
    >> Warren has done with MEPIS is superior to anything out there.

    > Heathen. ;-)

    Bring it on, Gnomie.

    > I'm still of the opinion that KDE is too "Windows-Like". So my opinion
    > is stopping me from using it.

    I'll go along with your opinion. In my mind, it takes all the things
    that Windows does well and does them much much better. Then it adds more
    functionality and configurability.

    > In fact, other than K3B, I do not use *any* "K" apps now.

    Now *that* is a kick-ass app.

    >> Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    > Sacrilege. Burn him. Burn him. ;-)

    It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  6. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:01:21 -0400, Mark Warner wrote:

    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> To each his own. Me, I just can't get comfortable in any environment
    >>> other than KDE. And IMO, the KDE integration and implementation that
    >>> Warren has done with MEPIS is superior to anything out there.

    >> Heathen. ;-)

    > Bring it on, Gnomie.
    >
    >> I'm still of the opinion that KDE is too "Windows-Like". So my opinion
    >> is stopping me from using it.

    > I'll go along with your opinion. In my mind, it takes all the things
    > that Windows does well and does them much much better. Then it adds more
    > functionality and configurability.

    Well stated!
    I'm a kde person from past experience, but I'm liking gnome as well.
    Decisions, decisions!

    >> In fact, other than K3B, I do not use *any* "K" apps now.

    > Now *that* is a kick-ass app.

    Killer app.
    It's what Nero USED to be.....

    >>> Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    >> Sacrilege. Burn him. Burn him. ;-)

    > It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

    I vote for tar and feather

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb

  7. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    >> Sacrilege. Burn him. Burn him. ;-)

    > It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

    I wonder how I'd get on in the Mepis forums by telling everyone to
    install Ubuntu? ;-)

    --
    "My classmates would copulate with anything that moved, but I never saw
    any reason to limit myself." ~ Emo Philips

  8. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    On 2008-09-12, Moog wrote:
    [snip]

    > Good luck to you. KDE is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm a
    > Gnome/XFCE man personally.

    Nice to have the choice eh?

  9. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Now *that* is a kick-ass app.

    > Killer app.
    > It's what Nero USED to be.....

    And now isn't?

    Nero has since tunred into a poor version of Media-Centre.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  10. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Gordon illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-09-12, Moog wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Good luck to you. KDE is definitely not my cup of tea. I'm a
    >> Gnome/XFCE man personally.
    >>

    > Nice to have the choice eh?

    Absolutely.

    Not to mention Enlightenment, Fluxbox, FVWM and all the others out
    there.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  11. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    On 2008-09-12, Mark Warner wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> To each his own. Me, I just can't get comfortable in any environment
    >>> other than KDE. And IMO, the KDE integration and implementation that
    >>> Warren has done with MEPIS is superior to anything out there.

    >> Heathen. ;-)

    > Bring it on, Gnomie.
    >
    >> I'm still of the opinion that KDE is too "Windows-Like". So my opinion
    >> is stopping me from using it.

    > I'll go along with your opinion. In my mind, it takes all the things
    > that Windows does well and does them much much better. Then it adds more
    > functionality and configurability.

    YES! I have waited along time to read this thought. As an OS Ms Windows has
    some good points. Sure KDE is like Ms Windows GUI in many ways, in others it
    is not.

    For the record another ting Ms windows got right was the control panel.
    Mandrake ran with it, passed the ball onto Mandriva and pclinuxos is now
    running with the best of them.

    For some reason people think that it is Ms Windows so anything she does is
    no good. We must do it differently. And yet Linux Distros fork off the
    shoulders of other systems.

    I came to Linux when KDE was the cutting edge GUI, as in pre version 1.0.
    Once I had compiled the files for it and got it running, I knew that Ms
    Windows had a fight on her hands.

    >> In fact, other than K3B, I do not use *any* "K" apps now.

    > Now *that* is a kick-ass app.
    >
    >>> Naw, stick with MEPIS. You'll grow to love it. :-)

    >> Sacrilege. Burn him. Burn him. ;-)

    > It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

  12. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Moog wrote:
    > Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

    > I wonder how I'd get on in the Mepis forums by telling everyone to
    > install Ubuntu? ;-)

    The MEPIS forums? Prolly just fine. They're pretty easy to get along
    with. Now the PCLOS forums, they'd boot yer ass in a heartbeat.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  13. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Mark Warner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> It's people like you that will keep Linux in the shadows. :-)

    >> I wonder how I'd get on in the Mepis forums by telling everyone to
    >> install Ubuntu? ;-)

    > The MEPIS forums? Prolly just fine. They're pretty easy to get along
    > with. Now the PCLOS forums, they'd boot yer ass in a heartbeat.

    Good lord. Getting my arse booted by a PCLos user?

    Shudder the thought. ;-)

    --
    "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or

  14. Re: Happy with Mepis 32

    On 13 Sep 2008 09:45:46 GMT, Moog wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >>> Now *that* is a kick-ass app.

    >> Killer app.
    >> It's what Nero USED to be.....

    > And now isn't?
    >
    > Nero has since tunred into a poor version of Media-Centre.

    Yea...
    I re-read my message and realized it could be taken both ways.
    What I meant was that Nero USED to be a great, mean and lean program with a
    logical UI and no bloat.

    That is what k3b is and always has been IMHO.
    IOW a great program.

    Nero has turned into a behemoth....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb