Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution - Ubuntu ; Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen resolution won't get better than 800 X 600. I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but it hasn't done any good. Can someone help me out ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.

    I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    it hasn't done any good.

    Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    Any recommendations?

    I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.

    Dan

  2. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >
    > I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    > it hasn't done any good.
    >
    > Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    > Any recommendations?

    I've had the exact same problem on my older laptop. The problem is only
    with the latest Ubuntu and derivatives. The new automagic xorg they're
    using is a PITA.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  3. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.

    Hi Dan

    The new Ubuntu Releases make use of the Xorg feature to identify the
    capabilities of the screen an the graphic card. They do not set any
    fixed values for it inside the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let Xorg determine
    the screen resolution dynamically. If your graphics chipset is not
    detected correctly by Xorg you'll get only this poor resolution.
    What to do? Boot you system with another Linux Live Disto (e.g.
    Knoppix). If Knoppix detects your screen resolution correct, it will
    write these values into its own xorg.conf. Then you can save this
    Knoppix generated xorg.conf and use it inside Ubuntu. This helped me on
    some systems with the same problem.

    Greets
    Ulf

    --
    Ulf Leichsenring
    ulf@leichsenring.net

  4. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    "Dan Dangerous" wrote in message
    news:A6Gdnapjm9FSt1TVnZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >
    > I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    > it hasn't done any good.
    >
    > Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.
    >
    > Dan

    There really should be a FAQ on this.
    I posted this a short time ago in this very group:

    I had the same problem on a Toshiba Sattellite Pro 4600.
    I found a solution and wrote a small "HowTo" for myself, see below.

    Arie de Muynck

    ================================================== ===========================
    How to set up full screen mode for Ubuntu 8.0x on Toshiba Sattellite Pro
    4600
    ================================================== ===========================

    From http://ubuntuforums.org/showtrhead.php?t=763964

    1 Open terminal
    2 Give command "sudo displayconfig-gtk"
    3 Enter your normal user password
    4 Select as card (already default): Trident generic
    5 Select as monitor Generic --> LCD 1024x768, 60Hz
    6 Close terminal
    7 Log-out all users so X-term can shut down
    8 Log-in again
    9 We have a FULL SCREEN!!!!

    Background info
    ===============

    Note: you can get some useful info using:
    lspci
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    During the detection of the monitor something goes wrong, see
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    (II) Loading sub module "ddc"
    (II) LoadModule: "ddc"(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
    (II) TRIDENT(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
    (II) TRIDENT(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
    (II) TRIDENT(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
    f000:74ce: 01 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE! <== DDC module crashes!
    (II) TRIDENT(0): VESA VBE DDC invalid

    This means the monitor can not be detected and must be set up manually.
    If not done, a default monitor (1024x786) is assumed, but with incompatible
    H and V frequency ranges. This again means the Trrident driver will disable
    all incompatible modes.
    After manual set up the proper monitor is used, see /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    (**) TRIDENT(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
    (**) TRIDENT(0): *Mode "1024x768@60": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
    (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "1024x768@60"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344
    768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
    (**) TRIDENT(0): *Mode "800x600@60": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
    (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "800x600@60"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600
    601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
    (**) TRIDENT(0): Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
    (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "320x240"x60.1 12.59 320 328 376 400 240 245
    246 262 doublescan -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
    (==) TRIDENT(0): DPI set to (96, 96)

  5. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On 2008-09-11, Ulf Leichsenring hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    >> resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.

    > Hi Dan
    >
    > The new Ubuntu Releases make use of the Xorg feature to identify the
    > capabilities of the screen an the graphic card. They do not set any
    > fixed values for it inside the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and let Xorg determine
    > the screen resolution dynamically. If your graphics chipset is not
    > detected correctly by Xorg you'll get only this poor resolution.
    > What to do? Boot you system with another Linux Live Disto (e.g.
    > Knoppix). If Knoppix detects your screen resolution correct, it will
    > write these values into its own xorg.conf. Then you can save this
    > Knoppix generated xorg.conf and use it inside Ubuntu. This helped me on
    > some systems with the same problem.

    How to do it for nOObs:

    Boot Live-CD

    when its running and one gets a X-Window:

    open a terminal
    "sudo -s"

    this makes one the "super-user"

    "mkdir /ubuntu"

    "mount /dev/sdXY /ubuntu"

    (Depending on the Live-CD the ubuntu partition could also be mounted
    in /media/disc-xy) then one could just go there.

    (XY replace the correct value of the drive)

    "cd /ubuntu/etc/X11"

    "mv xorg.conf ubu-xorg.conf

    "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ."

    notice the "period" at the end this means copy the file to this
    location since one is still in the ubuntu tree.

    /etc/X11 is the tree of the Live-CD.

    Another option is to use the Live CD and *rename* ubuntu's xorg.conf
    as sometimes on a newstart a correct xorg.conf will be generated..

    > Greets
    > Ulf

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  6. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >
    > I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    > it hasn't done any good.
    >
    > Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.
    >
    > Dan

    I have a Nvidia (old AGP) card and the Default Ubuntu driver worked just
    fine until I installed the *UPDATE* and then it topped out at 800 by
    600. Got rid of the driver and now I get 1024 x 768 at 60Hz, same as in
    Windows XP.
    Ubuntu is just about un-usable at 800 by 600, and seems geared to the
    1024 x 768 for a minimum.
    Cheers,
    Bill Baka

  7. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Arie wrote:

    > ================================================== ===========================
    > How to set up full screen mode for Ubuntu 8.0x on Toshiba Sattellite Pro
    > 4600
    > ================================================== ===========================
    >
    > From http://ubuntuforums.org/showtrhead.php?t=763964
    >
    > 1 Open terminal
    > 2 Give command "sudo displayconfig-gtk"
    > 3 Enter your normal user password
    > 4 Select as card (already default): Trident generic
    > 5 Select as monitor Generic --> LCD 1024x768, 60Hz
    > 6 Close terminal
    > 7 Log-out all users so X-term can shut down
    > 8 Log-in again
    > 9 We have a FULL SCREEN!!!!

    Wow!!! That works great!!!
    That made my day!

    Now I'll try Earos, Vixta and a whole lot more.

    Thank You
    Dan Dangerous

    A little knowledge is a wonderful thing.

  8. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:27:28 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:

    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >
    > I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    > it hasn't done any good.
    >
    > Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.
    >
    > Dan

    Tell me about it!
    I've spent days on this and now that I have one monitor working at the
    correct resolution, I now have the *joy* of getting the second one (a
    different brand with different specs) working...

    This is VERY frustrating considering all I did with Windows was plug the
    second LCD in and it worked perfectly.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    > This is VERY frustrating considering all I did with Windows was plug the
    > second LCD in and it worked perfectly.

    It can be, but then again, it's just as bad when you start with new
    hardware before you install the drivers in Windows...

    Example - i've got a Dell base unit with an ATI X600 card in it, and
    NO DRIVERS from ATI actually install on the damn thing - i've got to
    use 3-4 year old drivers that only Dell provide.

    Frustrated ? - yes - and this is with Windows with what should be the
    correct drivers per the ATI website.

    That said, i've got a similar issue with a ATI 7000 mobile chipset in
    a Toshiba - Envy doesn't recognise it, and i'm stuck with a generic
    driver.

  10. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Dan Dangerous illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    > resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >
    > I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    > it hasn't done any good.
    >
    > Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    > Any recommendations?
    >
    > I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.

    Help *is* available.

    What are the specifications of your PC.

    Processor
    Memory
    Video Card

    Also, which Monitor do you own.

    There is no "generic" guide other than what you see at the ubuntu
    website.

    Such as........
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video

    --
    "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend." ~ Emo Philips

  11. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    wow...magic thanks
    "Arie" wrote in message

> [...]

    > incompatible
    > H and V frequency ranges. This again means the Trrident driver will
    > disable
    > all incompatible modes.
    > After manual set up the proper monitor is used, see /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

    > (**) TRIDENT(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
    > (**) TRIDENT(0): *Mode "1024x768@60": 65.0 MHz, 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
    > (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "1024x768@60"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344
    > 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
    > (**) TRIDENT(0): *Mode "800x600@60": 40.0 MHz, 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
    > (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "800x600@60"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600
    > 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
    > (**) TRIDENT(0): Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
    > (II) TRIDENT(0): Modeline "320x240"x60.1 12.59 320 328 376 400 240 245
    > 246 262 doublescan -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)

  12. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:23:30 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> This is VERY frustrating considering all I did with Windows was plug the
    >> second LCD in and it worked perfectly.

    > It can be, but then again, it's just as bad when you start with new
    > hardware before you install the drivers in Windows...
    >
    > Example - i've got a Dell base unit with an ATI X600 card in it, and
    > NO DRIVERS from ATI actually install on the damn thing - i've got to
    > use 3-4 year old drivers that only Dell provide.
    >
    > Frustrated ? - yes - and this is with Windows with what should be the
    > correct drivers per the ATI website.
    >
    > That said, i've got a similar issue with a ATI 7000 mobile chipset in
    > a Toshiba - Envy doesn't recognise it, and i'm stuck with a generic
    > driver.

    Yea I have been down that road with Dell before.
    One thing about Dell though is that while they sometimes seem to use
    oddball drivers, if you input the numbers from the sticker on the
    back/bottom of the machine, it will link you to a most of the stuff.

    I finally got it working BTW thanks to Hadron over in COLA.

    I'm convinced that monitor/video card recognition is seriously broken in
    Hardy though.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I'm convinced that monitor/video card recognition is seriously broken
    > in Hardy though.

    My experiences were different. Ub 8.04 recognized my ATI card with 128
    Mb of ram, and 22" wide-screen Samsung LCD with no problem. Even Compiz
    works just fine. (This isn't a Dell, rather a P4 3.2 GHz box I put
    together myself about two years ago.)

    --
    -bts

  14. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I'm convinced that monitor/video card recognition is seriously broken
    >> in Hardy though.

    > My experiences were different. Ub 8.04 recognized my ATI card with 128
    > Mb of ram, and 22" wide-screen Samsung LCD with no problem. Even Compiz
    > works just fine. (This isn't a Dell, rather a P4 3.2 GHz box I put
    > together myself about two years ago.)

    Mine too.

    I've now got 16 desktops running Hardy. I've not yet had to even tweak
    the Xorg settings. All ran perfectly.

    Laptops on the other hand are a different thing. I also had one
    problem with a Samsung 922BW Syncmaster monitor that doesn't feed the
    OS the settings in the correct paramters. I managed to tweak it with
    some help from Ubuntu Forums.

    Other than that though. Ubuntu, IMHO, is the best hardware
    detecting OS out there.

    --
    "I got a letter from the IRS. Apparently I owe them $800. So I sent
    them a letter back. I said, "If you'll remember, I fastened my return

  15. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:27:28 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >
    >> Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    >> resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >>
    >> I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    >> it hasn't done any good.
    >>
    >> Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    >> Any recommendations?
    >>
    >> I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Tell me about it!
    > I've spent days on this and now that I have one monitor working at the
    > correct resolution, I now have the *joy* of getting the second one (a
    > different brand with different specs) working...
    >
    > This is VERY frustrating considering all I did with Windows was plug the
    > second LCD in and it worked perfectly.

    See this article and narrow in on ddcprobe ...

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    How to get help at Microsoft Support ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2SIZ5qsSQ

  16. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 19:45:51 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:27:28 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >>
    >>> Every Ubunto based distro over 7.10 I've installed, the screen
    >>> resolution won't get better than 800 X 600.
    >>>
    >>> I've looked on Google and tried a few things I've found, but
    >>> it hasn't done any good.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone help me out here? Anyone know of a web site?
    >>> Any recommendations?
    >>>
    >>> I feel like breaking all these damn cd's.
    >>>
    >>> Dan

    >> Tell me about it!
    >> I've spent days on this and now that I have one monitor working at the
    >> correct resolution, I now have the *joy* of getting the second one (a
    >> different brand with different specs) working...
    >>
    >> This is VERY frustrating considering all I did with Windows was plug the
    >> second LCD in and it worked perfectly.
    >>

    > See this article and narrow in on ddcprobe ...
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fi...esolutionHowto
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks guys I got it going!!!

    The key is installing the Nvidia Prop. driver AND the nvidia-settings
    program and then running the nvidia-settings program sudo so it can write
    the changes to the xorg.conf file.

    Once I installed the Nvidia driver, everything fell into place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    > That said, i've got a similar issue with a ATI 7000 mobile chipset in
    > a Toshiba - Envy doesn't recognise it, and i'm stuck with a generic
    > driver.

    Oh well, had a chance to have another play tonight - i'm probably not
    using the optimal driver (think it should be a bog-standard "ati" but
    not sure) but i've managed to up the screen res by editing the
    xorg.conf and adding it... not the most intuitive thing for a newbie
    to play with (it helped when I realised I had nano installed) but
    successful nontheless (previous attempts to overwrite it from within X
    failed)

  18. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:42:43 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> That said, i've got a similar issue with a ATI 7000 mobile chipset in
    >> a Toshiba - Envy doesn't recognise it, and i'm stuck with a generic
    >> driver.

    > Oh well, had a chance to have another play tonight - i'm probably not
    > using the optimal driver (think it should be a bog-standard "ati" but
    > not sure) but i've managed to up the screen res by editing the
    > xorg.conf and adding it... not the most intuitive thing for a newbie
    > to play with (it helped when I realised I had nano installed) but
    > successful nontheless (previous attempts to overwrite it from within X
    > failed)

    n00b.

  19. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    > n00b.

    We all start somewhere - you were a n00b once too, some might argue
    you stayed there.

  20. Re: Distros based on Ubuntu - screen resolution

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:50:22 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> n00b.

    > We all start somewhere - you were a n00b once too, some might argue
    > you stayed there.

    You'll stay a n00b until you can cut that umbilical cord to using Windoze,
    like you are now. Use a real newsreader, and start learning something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast