video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron? - Ubuntu ; I have spent the last several days experimenting with my WinTV card. I have tried mplayer, vlc, xawtv, etc, etc. I am trying to convert a bunch of VHS tapes to .avi files and/or burn them to DVD. I have ...

  1. video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron?

    I have spent the last several days experimenting with my WinTV card. I
    have tried mplayer, vlc, xawtv, etc, etc. I am trying to convert a bunch
    of VHS tapes to .avi files and/or burn them to DVD. I have read all kinds
    of threads on all kinds of web sites. Finally, I booted into WinXP (for
    the first time in at least 6 months), installed the software from the
    Hauppauge web site, and everything worked fine.

    Is there really no way to get the WinTV-150 to work (reliably) under
    Linux? Having to boot into XP for this task seems like such an ugly hack.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  2. Re: video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron?

    MarkA wrote:
    > I have spent the last several days experimenting with my WinTV card. I
    > have tried mplayer, vlc, xawtv, etc, etc. I am trying to convert a bunch
    > of VHS tapes to .avi files and/or burn them to DVD. I have read all kinds
    > of threads on all kinds of web sites. Finally, I booted into WinXP (for
    > the first time in at least 6 months), installed the software from the
    > Hauppauge web site, and everything worked fine.
    >
    > Is there really no way to get the WinTV-150 to work (reliably) under
    > Linux? Having to boot into XP for this task seems like such an ugly hack.

    I've had (2) PVR-150s (and an A180 and more recently an ATSC115) working
    reliably 24-7 for over two years so, yes there is a way.
    Never tried to capture from a VCR though (what's a VCR? *g*)
    You read any of these?

  3. Re: video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron?

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:27:38 -0700, clay wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:
    >> I have spent the last several days experimenting with my WinTV card. I
    >> have tried mplayer, vlc, xawtv, etc, etc. I am trying to convert a
    >> bunch of VHS tapes to .avi files and/or burn them to DVD. I have read
    >> all kinds of threads on all kinds of web sites. Finally, I booted into
    >> WinXP (for the first time in at least 6 months), installed the software
    >> from the Hauppauge web site, and everything worked fine.
    >>
    >> Is there really no way to get the WinTV-150 to work (reliably) under
    >> Linux? Having to boot into XP for this task seems like such an ugly
    >> hack.
    >>

    > I've had (2) PVR-150s (and an A180 and more recently an ATSC115) working
    > reliably 24-7 for over two years so, yes there is a way. Never tried to
    > capture from a VCR though (what's a VCR? *g*) You read any of these?
    > <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...HS&btnG=Google

    +Search&aq=f&oq=>

    I had not used that particular combinations of search terms, and it did
    turn up a few articles that I had not seen before. Part of the problem
    is that the software is evolving fairly rapidly, and many of the hits are
    from several years ago. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your interest.

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  4. Re: video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron?

    MarkA wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:27:38 -0700, clay wrote:
    >
    >> MarkA wrote:
    >>> I have spent the last several days experimenting with my WinTV card. I
    >>> have tried mplayer, vlc, xawtv, etc, etc. I am trying to convert a
    >>> bunch of VHS tapes to .avi files and/or burn them to DVD. I have read
    >>> all kinds of threads on all kinds of web sites. Finally, I booted into
    >>> WinXP (for the first time in at least 6 months), installed the software
    >>> from the Hauppauge web site, and everything worked fine.
    >>>
    >>> Is there really no way to get the WinTV-150 to work (reliably) under
    >>> Linux? Having to boot into XP for this task seems like such an ugly
    >>> hack.
    >>>

    >> I've had (2) PVR-150s (and an A180 and more recently an ATSC115) working
    >> reliably 24-7 for over two years so, yes there is a way. Never tried to
    >> capture from a VCR though (what's a VCR? *g*) You read any of these?
    >> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...HS&btnG=Google

    > +Search&aq=f&oq=>
    >
    > I had not used that particular combinations of search terms, and it did
    > turn up a few articles that I had not seen before. Part of the problem
    > is that the software is evolving fairly rapidly, and many of the hits are
    > from several years ago. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your interest.

    ....the threads are old but many of the concepts and debugging steps are
    still the same.
    Part of the evolution of Ubuntu allowed these things to be installed and
    set up automagically.
    Just like Plug and Pray in the 'other' OS, sometimes it fails and you
    have to do it manually to help it along.
    When a new kernel breaks my lirc, I don't know how to fix it since it's
    'supported' in Feisty (and shouldn't break!) So I go back to how I
    installed it(and fixed it every time a new kernel broke it) in Dapper.
    If Daniel ever takes the site down I followed to originally build Myth
    http://hyams.webhop.net/MythTV/myth_ubuntu.html
    I'd probably never be able to fix my Myth when it breaks.
    And that page is not exactly the most current release... But my build
    (almost) is.

  5. Re: video capture using Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 and Hardy Heron?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:14:52 -0700, clay wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:

    >>> I've had (2) PVR-150s (and an A180 and more recently an ATSC115) working
    >>> reliably 24-7 for over two years so, yes there is a way. Never tried to
    >>> capture from a VCR though (what's a VCR? *g*) You read any of these?
    >>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...HS&btnG=Google

    >> +Search&aq=f&oq=>
    >>
    >> I had not used that particular combinations of search terms, and it did
    >> turn up a few articles that I had not seen before. Part of the problem
    >> is that the software is evolving fairly rapidly, and many of the hits are
    >> from several years ago. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your interest.
    >>

    > ...the threads are old but many of the concepts and debugging steps are
    > still the same.
    > Part of the evolution of Ubuntu allowed these things to be installed and
    > set up automagically.
    > Just like Plug and Pray in the 'other' OS, sometimes it fails and you
    > have to do it manually to help it along.
    > When a new kernel breaks my lirc, I don't know how to fix it since it's
    > 'supported' in Feisty (and shouldn't break!) So I go back to how I
    > installed it(and fixed it every time a new kernel broke it) in Dapper.
    > If Daniel ever takes the site down I followed to originally build Myth
    > http://hyams.webhop.net/MythTV/myth_ubuntu.html
    > I'd probably never be able to fix my Myth when it breaks.
    > And that page is not exactly the most current release... But my build
    > (almost) is.

    thanks for the advice. I was able to copy VHS to mpg using 'cat
    /dev/video0 > fname.mpg', after using VLC for a bit to make sure I was
    recording what I wished. Then, I used 'gopchop' to trim off the blank
    footage at the end of the tape. Now that I have the videos in mpg format,
    I will be able to convert/transcode them as desired. Thanks!

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

+ Reply to Thread