Ubuntu: Absolutely vile! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu: Absolutely vile! - Ubuntu ; This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I happened to pick ubuntu. I used the links at the 'official' website and downloaded: 1. a first iso image. But wait - that image ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I
    happened to pick ubuntu. I used the links at the 'official' website and
    downloaded:

    1. a first iso image. But wait - that image which took 30 minutes of my
    precious cpu time to download, just was not quite right..i wonder why?
    md5sum problems?? yes - thats what the official version is. The truth is
    far more sinister.

    2. so i download iso image number 2, from a different mirror. same ****.

    3. I am a patient kinda guy, so i thought i would try again. well the
    disc burned. I tested its 'Data Integrity' on my highly trusted freebsd
    machine. The ubuntu data integrity check claimed all was 'ok'.

    So then i put the disc in my drive to overwite an old linux install.
    After 20 minutes - the system failed. After investigating i discover
    there is a 'well known' bug in the installer that caused the problem!

    As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot. But
    wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system?? apparently
    this is the default and a user must precede every command with 'sudo'.

    By this time, I had seen enough.. but i thought i would probe around for
    a while longer. Did you know that ubunto is really debian? Debian is
    actually a rogue linux distro that does not conform to normal unix -
    posix standards. But it has been cleverly re-packaged under the name
    ubunto. A word from the wise: whatever you wrap **** in, it still stinks.

    I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly peer
    reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for inferior
    stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    I wonder.

  2. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    gazza glitter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I am posting this to warn newbies

    I beg to differ.

    You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.

    Tip:
    Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.

    Cheers.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    gazza glitter wrote the following in news:48c422c3$1_2@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com in alt.os.linux.ubuntu at Sun 07 Sep 2008 11:51:54a

    > I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly peer
    > reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for inferior
    > stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    > repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    I've been using Kbuntu and I've been quite happy with it. Your mileage may
    vary of course.

  4. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Moog wrote:
    > gazza glitter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> I am posting this to warn newbies

    > I beg to differ.
    >
    > You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.
    >
    > Tip:
    > Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.
    >
    > Cheers.

    you quite obviously got your head up your ass.
    dumb monkey

  5. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    gazza glitter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> gazza glitter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> I am posting this to warn newbies

    >> I beg to differ.
    >>
    >> You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.
    >>
    >> Tip:
    >> Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > you quite obviously got your head up your ass.
    > dumb monkey

    And just to prove the pont.....out comes the personal abuse.

    0/10 (Must try harder)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  6. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    gazza glitter schreef:
    > This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I
    > happened to pick ubuntu. I used the links at the 'official' website and
    > downloaded:
    >
    > 1. a first iso image. But wait - that image which took 30 minutes of my
    > precious cpu time to download, just was not quite right..i wonder why?
    > md5sum problems?? yes - thats what the official version is. The truth is
    > far more sinister.
    >
    > 2. so i download iso image number 2, from a different mirror. same ****.

    Because you seem to be the only one confronted with this problem you are
    telling us you've got a ****ty connection/ download manager.

    > 3. I am a patient kinda guy, so i thought i would try again. well the
    > disc burned. I tested its 'Data Integrity' on my highly trusted freebsd
    > machine. The ubuntu data integrity check claimed all was 'ok'.
    >
    > So then i put the disc in my drive to overwite an old linux install.
    > After 20 minutes - the system failed. After investigating i discover
    > there is a 'well known' bug in the installer that caused the problem!

    Such things happen, good thing you knew how to use Google and the forums.
    > As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot. But
    > wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system?? apparently
    > this is the default and a user must precede every command with 'sudo'.

    Not 'apparently' but clearly.
    It might look unusual to someone that spend his last several years in a
    Vietnamese lockup but that's how it has all ways been with Ubuntu, no
    surprise for those that RTFM.

    > By this time, I had seen enough.. but i thought i would probe around for
    > a while longer. Did you know that ubunto is really debian? Debian is
    > actually a rogue linux distro that does not conform to normal unix -
    > posix standards. But it has been cleverly re-packaged under the name
    > ubunto. A word from the wise: whatever you wrap **** in, it still stinks.

    They might not be archaic, maybe that's one of the reasons they are the
    base for most popular and easy distributions of the last few years.

    > I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly peer
    > reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for inferior
    > stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    > repackage it and call it ubuntu'?
    >
    > I wonder.

    Many don't need to wonder, they try it for themselves and see these
    distributions are better packaged and supported than anything else.

    That is not to say an expert like you can't do better with some of the
    more l337 distributions like Slackware, Arch or Gentoo.

    In the mean time this community continues to welcome lots of new users.

  7. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 20:28:00 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:

    >> You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.
    >> Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.

    > you quite obviously got your head up your ass.

    Well, yes he does.

    However, he was perfectly correct that you are a troll, and not even a
    very good one.

    Bugger off, dickmunch.

  8. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Dan C illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 20:28:00 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:
    >
    >>> You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.
    >>> Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.

    >> you quite obviously got your head up your ass.

    > Well, yes he does.

    That should have read "Well, yes. He does"

    Just to prove your point. ;-)

    > However, he was perfectly correct that you are a troll, and not even a
    > very good one.
    >
    > Bugger off, dickmunch.

    Nice turn of phrase, Dan. Did your mother write it for you?

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  9. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:02:23 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > gazza glitter illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> I am posting this to warn newbies

    > I beg to differ.
    >
    > You are quite obviously posting this because you are a troll.
    >
    > Tip:
    > Next time, when you troll, do it a little *less* obviously.
    >
    > Cheers.

    It is strange isn't it. The words are different, and a different nym.
    But it seems like this person keeps posting this type of crap.

    stonerfish

  10. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    > This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I
    > happened to pick ubuntu.

    You are Bill Gates (or another Microsoft shill), and I claim my 5

    You're a contemptible piece of **** anyway for posting under the name
    of a convicted paedophile.

  11. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:01:52 +0000, Moog trolled:

    >> Bugger off, dickmunch.

    > Nice turn of phrase, Dan. Did your mother write it for you?

    Ummmm, no. Mother's been dead for 32 years now.

  12. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On 2008-09-07, gazza glitter wrote:
    > This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I
    > happened to pick ubuntu. I used the links at the 'official' website and
    > downloaded:

    [snip]

    Oh dear the troll alarm has gone off.

  13. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    gazza glitter schreef:

    [snip]

    > 3. I am a patient kinda guy, so i thought i would try again. well the
    > disc burned. I tested its 'Data Integrity' on my highly trusted freebsd
    > machine. The ubuntu data integrity check claimed all was 'ok'.

    If you are such a patient person, then why didn't you order a free CD
    using the ShipIT service. No chance it's "corrupted".

    > So then i put the disc in my drive to overwite an old linux install.
    > After 20 minutes - the system failed. After investigating i discover
    > there is a 'well known' bug in the installer that caused the problem!

    What a coincidence. Millions of Ubuntu users where able to install
    Ubuntu without a glitch, but your version has an imaginary "well known
    bug in the installer".

    > As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot. But
    > wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system?? apparently
    > this is the default and a user must precede every command with 'sudo'.

    Sounds very familiar, another selfimportant alter ego of Hadron Quack?
    Ubuntu is targeted at newbies, thus the root account is disabled by
    default to protect these unexperienced users against their self. However
    if you are such an "expert" it should be pretty easy to unlock the root
    account.

    System > Administration > Users and groups > root > unlock.

    Whooo, how complicated :-)

    > By this time, I had seen enough.. but i thought i would probe around for
    > a while longer. Did you know that ubunto is really debian? Debian is
    > actually a rogue linux distro that does not conform to normal unix -
    > posix standards. But it has been cleverly re-packaged under the name
    > ubunto. A word from the wise: whatever you wrap **** in, it still stink.

    By this time, I have seen enough as well. I use both FreeBSD and Ubuntu.
    And Ubuntu is extremely user friendly compared to FreeBSD.

    > I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly peer
    > reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for inferior
    > stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    > repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    No you are just spreading disinformation, because you clearly have
    nothing productive to do.

    > I wonder.

    I wonder if you are a sock puppet of Hadron or Moshe Goldfart.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  14. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:25:18 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

    > gazza glitter schreef:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> 3. I am a patient kinda guy, so i thought i would try again. well the
    >> disc burned. I tested its 'Data Integrity' on my highly trusted freebsd
    >> machine. The ubuntu data integrity check claimed all was 'ok'.

    > If you are such a patient person, then why didn't you order a free CD
    > using the ShipIT service. No chance it's "corrupted".
    >
    >> So then i put the disc in my drive to overwite an old linux install.
    >> After 20 minutes - the system failed. After investigating i discover
    >> there is a 'well known' bug in the installer that caused the problem!

    > What a coincidence. Millions of Ubuntu users where able to install
    > Ubuntu without a glitch, but your version has an imaginary "well known
    > bug in the installer".
    >
    >> As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot. But
    >> wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system?? apparently
    >> this is the default and a user must precede every command with 'sudo'.

    > Sounds very familiar, another selfimportant alter ego of Hadron Quack?
    > Ubuntu is targeted at newbies, thus the root account is disabled by
    > default to protect these unexperienced users against their self. However
    > if you are such an "expert" it should be pretty easy to unlock the root
    > account.
    >
    > System > Administration > Users and groups > root > unlock.
    >
    > Whooo, how complicated :-)
    >
    >> By this time, I had seen enough.. but i thought i would probe around
    >> for a while longer. Did you know that ubunto is really debian? Debian
    >> is actually a rogue linux distro that does not conform to normal unix -
    >> posix standards. But it has been cleverly re-packaged under the name
    >> ubunto. A word from the wise: whatever you wrap **** in, it still
    >> stink.

    > By this time, I have seen enough as well. I use both FreeBSD and Ubuntu.
    > And Ubuntu is extremely user friendly compared to FreeBSD.
    >
    >> I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly
    >> peer reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for
    >> inferior
    >> stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    >> repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    > No you are just spreading disinformation, because you clearly have
    > nothing productive to do.
    >
    >> I wonder.

    > I wonder if you are a sock puppet of Hadron or Moshe Goldfart.

    I am wondering if we don't need a sign for the newsgroup not unlike what
    they have at the zoo.

    Except this one should read, "Please do not tap on the glass or feed the
    trolls."

    Just my .02

    Take care everyone!

  15. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    ml2mst wrote:
    > gazza glitter schreef:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> 3. I am a patient kinda guy, so i thought i would try again. well the
    >> disc burned. I tested its 'Data Integrity' on my highly trusted
    >> freebsd machine. The ubuntu data integrity check claimed all was 'ok'.

    > If you are such a patient person, then why didn't you order a free CD
    > using the ShipIT service. No chance it's "corrupted".
    >
    >> So then i put the disc in my drive to overwite an old linux install.
    >> After 20 minutes - the system failed. After investigating i discover
    >> there is a 'well known' bug in the installer that caused the problem!

    > What a coincidence. Millions of Ubuntu users where able to install
    > Ubuntu without a glitch, but your version has an imaginary "well known
    > bug in the installer".
    >
    >> As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot.
    >> But wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system??
    >> apparently this is the default and a user must precede every command
    >> with 'sudo'.

    > Sounds very familiar, another selfimportant alter ego of Hadron Quack?
    > Ubuntu is targeted at newbies, thus the root account is disabled by
    > default to protect these unexperienced users against their self. However
    > if you are such an "expert" it should be pretty easy to unlock the root
    > account.
    >
    > System > Administration > Users and groups > root > unlock.
    >
    > Whooo, how complicated :-)
    >
    >> By this time, I had seen enough.. but i thought i would probe around
    >> for a while longer. Did you know that ubunto is really debian? Debian
    >> is actually a rogue linux distro that does not conform to normal unix
    >> - posix standards. But it has been cleverly re-packaged under the name
    >> ubunto. A word from the wise: whatever you wrap **** in, it still stink.

    > By this time, I have seen enough as well. I use both FreeBSD and Ubuntu.
    > And Ubuntu is extremely user friendly compared to FreeBSD.
    >
    >> I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly
    >> peer reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for
    >> inferior stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was
    >> so hot, why repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    > No you are just spreading disinformation, because you clearly have
    > nothing productive to do.
    >
    >> I wonder.

    > I wonder if you are a sock puppet of Hadron or Moshe Goldfart.

    hey a final note you friggin ignorant monkeys:
    1. I have worked on operating system development and written specific
    device drivers for the freebsd operating system for more years than i
    care to remember. - Do you even know what a device driver is? (i doubt it)
    2. I understand unix. My opinion is that ubuntu is a rogue os that
    simply does not cut it for the high standards that i expect from an os.
    3. You are free to put what you want on your pc. You are free to sit at
    your little keyboard putting yourself forward as an 'expert' in ubuntu :-D
    4. I am free to point out how feeble you are. I really do pity 'newbies'
    who look here for advice because just from the bland non-technical and
    trash replies that i have glanced at here - it is plain that you monkeys
    could not even stick a stamp on an envelope.
    5. You get the message?

    Now fuk off.

  16. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:54:39 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:

    > hey a final note you friggin ignorant monkeys: 1. I have worked on
    > operating system development and written specific device drivers for the
    > freebsd operating system for more years than i care to remember. - Do
    > you even know what a device driver is? (i doubt it) 2. I understand
    > unix. My opinion is that ubuntu is a rogue os that simply does not cut
    > it for the high standards that i expect from an os.

    If you are such a unix expert, why would you use a pre-packaged system,
    designed for easy use by newbies. You can always roll your own system,
    and configure it the way you, an expert unixer, wants it. Installing
    only the apps you need, and leaving all the ubuntu games and eye candy to
    us beginners.

    > 3. You are free to
    > put what you want on your pc. You are free to sit at your little
    > keyboard putting yourself forward as an 'expert' in ubuntu :-D 4. I am
    > free to point out how feeble you are. I really do pity 'newbies' who
    > look here for advice because just from the bland non-technical and trash
    > replies that i have glanced at here - it is plain that you monkeys could
    > not even stick a stamp on an envelope. 5. You get the message?

    Envelope? That is so 20th century.

  17. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:54:39 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:
    >
    >> hey a final note you friggin ignorant monkeys: 1. I have worked on
    >> operating system development and written specific device drivers for the
    >> freebsd operating system for more years than i care to remember. - Do
    >> you even know what a device driver is? (i doubt it) 2. I understand
    >> unix. My opinion is that ubuntu is a rogue os that simply does not cut
    >> it for the high standards that i expect from an os.

    > If you are such a unix expert, why would you use a pre-packaged system,
    > designed for easy use by newbies. You can always roll your own system,
    > and configure it the way you, an expert unixer, wants it. Installing
    > only the apps you need, and leaving all the ubuntu games and eye candy to
    > us beginners.
    >
    >> 3. You are free to
    >> put what you want on your pc. You are free to sit at your little
    >> keyboard putting yourself forward as an 'expert' in ubuntu :-D 4. I am
    >> free to point out how feeble you are. I really do pity 'newbies' who
    >> look here for advice because just from the bland non-technical and trash
    >> replies that i have glanced at here - it is plain that you monkeys could
    >> not even stick a stamp on an envelope. 5. You get the message?
    >>

    > Envelope? That is so 20th century.

    So are stamps ;-)

    Alias

  18. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:51:54 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:

    > This weekend i thought i would spend some time trying out a new os - I
    > happened to pick ubuntu. I used the links at the 'official' website and
    > downloaded:

    Interesting.
    I installed the Wubi version last week and just migrated to a full, *real
    /native version* a couple of days ago and while I have a few complaints, I
    am extremely impressed with how far Ubuntu has come since the last time I
    used it which was 2 releases ago.

    > I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly peer
    > reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for inferior
    > stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot, why
    > repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    To make it easier to install, configure and manage for new users but
    without eliminating the power that Debian based distributions have.
    Also having access to the Debian repository as well as bug and help reports
    which in general apply to Ubuntu (not always) as well.

    > I wonder.

    I don't.
    I think they made a good choice in going with Debian.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:54:39 +0100, gazza glitter wrote:

    > hey a final note you friggin ignorant monkeys:
    > 1. I have worked on operating system development and written specific
    > device drivers for the freebsd operating system for more years than i
    > care to remember. - Do you even know what a device driver is? (i doubt it)
    > 2. I understand unix. My opinion is that ubuntu is a rogue os that
    > simply does not cut it for the high standards that i expect from an os.

    Gentoo.
    Slackware.
    Linux from Scratch.

    They would be perfect for you.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Disinformation alert, was: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On 2008-09-08, gazza glitter hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > hey a final note you friggin ignorant monkeys:
    > 1. I have worked on operating system development and written specific

    Then LFS would be the *best* option for you, and leave
    Ubuntu to 16 year old girls (daughter of a co-worker
    installed a dual-boot) with WinXP. Of course she read the
    install-instructions, and checked her system out. There was
    very little for me to do...

    HANL :-)

    goodby

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast