Ubuntu: Absolutely vile! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu: Absolutely vile! - Ubuntu ; "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in news:17bre2xibrmac$.pfx4uzfm60yz.dlg@40tude.net: > I installed the Wubi version last week and just migrated to a full, > *real /native version* a couple of days ago and while I have a few > complaints, I am extremely impressed ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > I installed the Wubi version last week and just migrated to a full,
    > *real /native version* a couple of days ago and while I have a few
    > complaints, I am extremely impressed with how far Ubuntu has come
    > since the last time I used it which was 2 releases ago.
    >

    > Also having access to the Debian repository as well as bug and help
    > reports which in general apply to Ubuntu (not always) as well.
    >
    >> I wonder.

    > I don't.
    > I think they made a good choice in going with Debian.

    Hey Moshe,

    Two months ago, you came across as the (maybe) biggest Win-Troll I've
    ever seen. (Or should I say anti-Linux troll.)

    I must say though, the last 2 weeks, you have changed. I'm quite
    impressed. In the past you had absolutely nothing good to say about
    Ubuntu and now, you are actually making some remarks that show that you
    can be an objective person. Maybe it was because the last release you
    tried was 6.whatever, but it's nice to see that you can give some credit
    where credit is due.

    And not only that, but participate in an intelligent discussion about it,
    talking about it's good points...and bad points....and with open eyes and
    not just some blanketing attitude.

    That's nice for a change.....actual discussion. You don't need to say you
    love it and it's the best thing since slice bread....like I said, just
    acknowledging that it has greatly improved is quite a change.

    (Not that my opinion matters much anyway......) but that's just my 2.

  2. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:31:15 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > Hey Moshe,
    >
    > Two months ago, you came across as the (maybe) biggest Win-Troll I've
    > ever seen. (Or should I say anti-Linux troll.)
    >
    > I must say though, the last 2 weeks, you have changed. I'm quite
    > impressed. In the past you had absolutely nothing good to say about
    > Ubuntu and now, you are actually making some remarks that show that you
    > can be an objective person. Maybe it was because the last release you
    > tried was 6.whatever, but it's nice to see that you can give some credit
    > where credit is due.
    >
    > And not only that, but participate in an intelligent discussion about it,
    > talking about it's good points...and bad points....and with open eyes and
    > not just some blanketing attitude.
    >
    > That's nice for a change.....actual discussion. You don't need to say you
    > love it and it's the best thing since slice bread....like I said, just
    > acknowledging that it has greatly improved is quite a change.
    >
    > (Not that my opinion matters much anyway......) but that's just my 2.

    One thing you should know is that I make a HUGE distinction between Linux
    advocates in the trenches in the help groups, like this one, as compared to
    loony toons in comp.os.linux.advocacy, some of which have paid agendas.

    Five posts in this group helping noobs is far more valuable than a paid
    spammer in COLA who spends 24x7 pleasing the people who are funding his
    operation.

    I make no bones about disliking Ubuntu in the past.
    It just was not up to the level of say PCLinuxOS IMHO.
    That has changed.

    I like things to be easy.
    I don't like having to *think* to do what should be a simple task.
    I've never liked Gnome in the past, but my opinion has changed.
    I loaded up KDE 4.x and it seems very convoluted to me even as a KDE user!

    Gnome has applications in logical places, easy to find and a set that is
    useful.
    That was one reason why I like PCLinuxOS (kde). It doesn't have a LOT of
    applications installed by default, but it has (at least for me) the right
    ones.
    Nano for example. So does Ubuntu.
    KDE I keep hunting around the menus and I hate that sliding Start menu
    thing.
    It's a waste of time IMHO.

    So far for me everything has pretty much worked and worked well.
    Some things needed a little tweaking but for the most part Ubuntu is a
    solid distribution IMHO.
    Also, I was able to quickly find solutions to my problems with
    configuration.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb

  3. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > So far for me everything has pretty much worked and worked well.

    I don't believe it worked that well out of the box !!

    DOH!!!!!

    Relax, relax....just kidding.

    You gave me that spiel when I said the audio & a few audio apps in my
    install of 7.10 worked out of the box.

    But see....it does happen. I'm sure if you would have had a 'standard' SB-
    like card, it would have worked immediately......IIRC, you got some multi-
    in/out card.

  4. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:27:24 -0400
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:31:15 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:
    >

    > > Hey Moshe,
    > >
    > > Two months ago, you came across as the (maybe) biggest Win-Troll
    > > I've ever seen. (Or should I say anti-Linux troll.)
    > >
    > > I must say though, the last 2 weeks, you have changed. I'm quite
    > > impressed. In the past you had absolutely nothing good to say about
    > > Ubuntu and now, you are actually making some remarks that show that
    > > you can be an objective person. Maybe it was because the last
    > > release you tried was 6.whatever, but it's nice to see that you can
    > > give some credit where credit is due.
    > >
    > > And not only that, but participate in an intelligent discussion
    > > about it, talking about it's good points...and bad points....and
    > > with open eyes and not just some blanketing attitude.
    > >
    > > That's nice for a change.....actual discussion. You don't need to
    > > say you love it and it's the best thing since slice bread....like I
    > > said, just acknowledging that it has greatly improved is quite a
    > > change.
    > >
    > > (Not that my opinion matters much anyway......) but that's just my
    > > 2¢.

    > One thing you should know is that I make a HUGE distinction between
    > Linux advocates in the trenches in the help groups, like this one, as
    > compared to loony toons in comp.os.linux.advocacy, some of which have
    > paid agendas.
    >
    > Five posts in this group helping noobs is far more valuable than a
    > paid spammer in COLA who spends 24x7 pleasing the people who are
    > funding his operation.
    >
    > I make no bones about disliking Ubuntu in the past.
    > It just was not up to the level of say PCLinuxOS IMHO.
    > That has changed.
    >
    > I like things to be easy.
    > I don't like having to *think* to do what should be a simple task.
    > I've never liked Gnome in the past, but my opinion has changed.
    > I loaded up KDE 4.x and it seems very convoluted to me even as a KDE
    > user!
    >
    > Gnome has applications in logical places, easy to find and a set that
    > is useful.
    > That was one reason why I like PCLinuxOS (kde). It doesn't have a LOT
    > of applications installed by default, but it has (at least for me)
    > the right ones.
    > Nano for example. So does Ubuntu.
    > KDE I keep hunting around the menus and I hate that sliding Start menu
    > thing.
    > It's a waste of time IMHO.
    >
    > So far for me everything has pretty much worked and worked well.
    > Some things needed a little tweaking but for the most part Ubuntu is a
    > solid distribution IMHO.
    > Also, I was able to quickly find solutions to my problems with
    > configuration.

    Configuration problems ?
    No way !

    In KDE4, you could switch the Start menu to classic view.

    You'd be stuck with the dashboard and cashew tho.

    --
    The Paladin

  5. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 01:32:45 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >

    > I don't believe it worked that well out of the box !!

    > DOH!!!!!
    >
    > Relax, relax....just kidding.

    Hahha!
    Well it pretty much did.

    > You gave me that spiel when I said the audio & a few audio apps in my
    > install of 7.10 worked out of the box.

    I probably did because for *me* it didn't.
    It's highly dependent upon hardware.

    > But see....it does happen. I'm sure if you would have had a 'standard' SB-
    > like card, it would have worked immediately......IIRC, you got some multi-
    > in/out card.

    That's the problem.

    One of my pet peeves with Linux in general is too many sound systems, and
    growing by the month (pulse for example).

    The idea is to play sound..
    It's a simple concept and most people really don't care how it's done.
    The minute Linux asks Joe User to select a sound system it has lost a good
    number of Joe's.
    Especially if he selects the wrong one.

    Here is a real world experience:

    When I installed Amarok it installed fine, I pointed to my audio directory
    etc and all was well.
    The first time I went to play the collection I made the mistake of
    selecting the entire collection.
    Well, I got errors on all files and it would not stop.
    I had to kill the process.

    The problem?
    Audio was set to "AutoDetect"
    I switched it to ALSA and all was fine.

    In all my years of doing professional audio with Windows I have never
    encountered anything like that.
    Even in the professional world it is either DirectX or ASIO and in *most*
    cases either will work although ASIO is usually superior.

    IMHO in the case of basics like video and audio choice is not always a good
    thing.

    Linux and the Linux community should rally around the best sound system,
    ALSA IMHO and make it work and work perfectly.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:42:40 -0400, Paladin wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:27:24 -0400
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:31:15 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hey Moshe,
    >>>
    >>> Two months ago, you came across as the (maybe) biggest Win-Troll
    >>> I've ever seen. (Or should I say anti-Linux troll.)
    >>>
    >>> I must say though, the last 2 weeks, you have changed. I'm quite
    >>> impressed. In the past you had absolutely nothing good to say about
    >>> Ubuntu and now, you are actually making some remarks that show that
    >>> you can be an objective person. Maybe it was because the last
    >>> release you tried was 6.whatever, but it's nice to see that you can
    >>> give some credit where credit is due.
    >>>
    >>> And not only that, but participate in an intelligent discussion
    >>> about it, talking about it's good points...and bad points....and
    >>> with open eyes and not just some blanketing attitude.
    >>>
    >>> That's nice for a change.....actual discussion. You don't need to
    >>> say you love it and it's the best thing since slice bread....like I
    >>> said, just acknowledging that it has greatly improved is quite a
    >>> change.
    >>>
    >>> (Not that my opinion matters much anyway......) but that's just my
    >>> 2.

    >> One thing you should know is that I make a HUGE distinction between
    >> Linux advocates in the trenches in the help groups, like this one, as
    >> compared to loony toons in comp.os.linux.advocacy, some of which have
    >> paid agendas.
    >>
    >> Five posts in this group helping noobs is far more valuable than a
    >> paid spammer in COLA who spends 24x7 pleasing the people who are
    >> funding his operation.
    >>
    >> I make no bones about disliking Ubuntu in the past.
    >> It just was not up to the level of say PCLinuxOS IMHO.
    >> That has changed.
    >>
    >> I like things to be easy.
    >> I don't like having to *think* to do what should be a simple task.
    >> I've never liked Gnome in the past, but my opinion has changed.
    >> I loaded up KDE 4.x and it seems very convoluted to me even as a KDE
    >> user!
    >>
    >> Gnome has applications in logical places, easy to find and a set that
    >> is useful.
    >> That was one reason why I like PCLinuxOS (kde). It doesn't have a LOT
    >> of applications installed by default, but it has (at least for me)
    >> the right ones.
    >> Nano for example. So does Ubuntu.
    >> KDE I keep hunting around the menus and I hate that sliding Start menu
    >> thing.
    >> It's a waste of time IMHO.
    >>
    >> So far for me everything has pretty much worked and worked well.
    >> Some things needed a little tweaking but for the most part Ubuntu is a
    >> solid distribution IMHO.
    >> Also, I was able to quickly find solutions to my problems with
    >> configuration.
    >>

    > Configuration problems ?
    > No way !
    >
    > In KDE4, you could switch the Start menu to classic view.
    >
    > You'd be stuck with the dashboard and cashew tho.

    I didn't know that!
    Thank you for the tip.

    One other question, how do i get rid of KDM and make GDM my default?
    I'm baffled on that one.
    Both are installed and I selected KDM when I installed the kde packages.

    TIA..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:27:54 -0400
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:42:40 -0400, Paladin wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:27:24 -0400

    > >> One thing you should know is that I make a HUGE distinction between
    > >> Linux advocates in the trenches in the help groups, like this one,
    > >> as compared to loony toons in comp.os.linux.advocacy, some of
    > >> which have paid agendas.
    > >>
    > >> Five posts in this group helping noobs is far more valuable than a
    > >> paid spammer in COLA who spends 24x7 pleasing the people who are
    > >> funding his operation.
    > >>
    > >> I make no bones about disliking Ubuntu in the past.
    > >> It just was not up to the level of say PCLinuxOS IMHO.
    > >> That has changed.
    > >>
    > >> I like things to be easy.
    > >> I don't like having to *think* to do what should be a simple task.
    > >> I've never liked Gnome in the past, but my opinion has changed.
    > >> I loaded up KDE 4.x and it seems very convoluted to me even as a
    > >> KDE user!
    > >>
    > >> Gnome has applications in logical places, easy to find and a set
    > >> that is useful.
    > >> That was one reason why I like PCLinuxOS (kde). It doesn't have a
    > >> LOT of applications installed by default, but it has (at least for
    > >> me) the right ones.
    > >> Nano for example. So does Ubuntu.
    > >> KDE I keep hunting around the menus and I hate that sliding Start
    > >> menu thing.
    > >> It's a waste of time IMHO.
    > >>
    > >> So far for me everything has pretty much worked and worked well.
    > >> Some things needed a little tweaking but for the most part Ubuntu
    > >> is a solid distribution IMHO.
    > >> Also, I was able to quickly find solutions to my problems with
    > >> configuration.
    > >>

    > > Configuration problems ?
    > > No way !
    > >
    > > In KDE4, you could switch the Start menu to classic view.
    > >
    > > You'd be stuck with the dashboard and cashew tho.

    > I didn't know that!
    > Thank you for the tip.
    >
    > One other question, how do i get rid of KDM and make GDM my default?
    > I'm baffled on that one.
    > Both are installed and I selected KDM when I installed the kde
    > packages.
    >
    > TIA..

    At the login screen , session type, select gdm...them when you login,
    answer yes to make default.

    --
    The Paladin

  8. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    In article <48c422c3$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,
    gazza glitter wrote:
    > As an expert, i managed to get to the command line after a re-boot. But
    > wait...you cant log in as root, under a unix-like system?? apparently
    > this is the default and a user must precede every command with 'sudo'.

    Not allowing direct root login has been best practice in the serious
    Unix world for a long time. And no, you don't have to precede every
    command with "sudo" to do things as root.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > One other question, how do i get rid of KDM and make GDM my default?
    > I'm baffled on that one.
    > Both are installed and I selected KDM when I installed the kde packages.

    You need to reconfigure using dpkg

    Open a terminal
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    Select gdm

    You will then be in the correct dm. This gives you better access to
    things like shutdown and restart. I believe these are problematic when
    running Gnome on KDM.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  10. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On 9 Sep 2008 19:11:00 GMT, Moog wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> One other question, how do i get rid of KDM and make GDM my default?
    >> I'm baffled on that one.
    >> Both are installed and I selected KDM when I installed the kde packages.

    > You need to reconfigure using dpkg
    >
    > Open a terminal
    > $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    >
    > Select gdm

    Thanks!
    Worked like a champ!

    > You will then be in the correct dm. This gives you better access to
    > things like shutdown and restart. I believe these are problematic when
    > running Gnome on KDM.

    Yes they are...
    The options are missing completely from the little red icon!
    They are on the KDM login screen though once you logout.

    I ended up tossing KDE because I am liking gnome better.
    That's a first for me!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 9 Sep 2008 19:11:00 GMT, Moog wrote:

    > Thanks!
    > Worked like a champ!

    NP.

    >> You will then be in the correct dm. This gives you better access to
    >> things like shutdown and restart. I believe these are problematic when
    >> running Gnome on KDM.

    > Yes they are...
    > The options are missing completely from the little red icon!
    > They are on the KDM login screen though once you logout.

    Yup.That's what I'd heard. FWIW, it doesn't do the same thing the
    other way around. Running KDE on GDM doesn't seem to have so many
    issues.

    > I ended up tossing KDE because I am liking gnome better.
    > That's a first for me!

    I am an habitual tweaker. Currently running Avant on top of Gnome. I
    also frequently use XFCE (Which I think is superb). In fact, if you
    like Gnome, XFCE may well be worth a dabble.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  12. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Moog wrote in news:6io3k3Fru7c6U2@mid.individual.net:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 9 Sep 2008 19:11:00 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >> I ended up tossing KDE because I am liking gnome better.
    >> That's a first for me!

    > I am an habitual tweaker. Currently running Avant on top of Gnome. I
    > also frequently use XFCE (Which I think is superb). In fact, if you
    > like Gnome, XFCE may well be worth a dabble.

    Heh.....I have Ubuntu installed on the laptop and have installed it and
    XFCE (on seperate occassions) on the desktop but neither felt quite right.
    Have just installed KDE on the desktop and have a feeling it suits my
    requirements better; will know after some playing time with it. :-)

  13. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote in news:6io3k3Fru7c6U2@mid.individual.net:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> On 9 Sep 2008 19:11:00 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >>> I ended up tossing KDE because I am liking gnome better.
    >>> That's a first for me!

    >> I am an habitual tweaker. Currently running Avant on top of Gnome. I
    >> also frequently use XFCE (Which I think is superb). In fact, if you
    >> like Gnome, XFCE may well be worth a dabble.
    >>

    > Heh.....I have Ubuntu installed on the laptop and have installed it and
    > XFCE (on seperate occassions) on the desktop but neither felt quite right.
    > Have just installed KDE on the desktop and have a feeling it suits my
    > requirements better; will know after some playing time with it. :-)

    And therein lies the beauty of the beast. ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  14. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:19:41 +0000, Ghostintheshell wrote:

    > gazza glitter wrote the following in news:48c422c3$1_2@mk-nntp-
    > 2.news.uk.tiscali.com in alt.os.linux.ubuntu at Sun 07 Sep 2008
    > 11:51:54a
    >

    >> I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly
    >> peer reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont settle for
    >> inferior
    >> stuff. Just ask yourself one question..'if debian is / was so hot,
    >> why repackage it and call it ubuntu'?

    > I've been using Kbuntu and I've been quite happy with it. Your mileage
    > may vary of course.

    I use Ubuntu 7.10. Never had a problem yet.

  15. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    Hanna wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:27:55 GMT:

    >> gazza glitter wrote the following in news:48c422c3$1_2@mk-nntp-
    >> 2.news.uk.tiscali.com in alt.os.linux.ubuntu at Sun 07 Sep
    >> 2008 11:51:54a
    >>
    >>> I am posting this to warn newbies: there are much better - properly
    >>> peer reviewed open source systems out there for you. Dont
    >>> settle for inferior stuff. Just ask yourself one
    >>> question..'if debian is / was so hot, why repackage it and
    >>> call it ubuntu'?

    >> I've been using Kbuntu and I've been quite happy with it.
    >> Your mileage may vary of course.

    Hasn't Ubuntu been the most adopted system for months according to Linux
    Journal? I wonder about all those misguided people :-)

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

  16. Re: Ubuntu: Absolutely vile!

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:26:42 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

    > Hanna wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:27:55 GMT:
    >
    >>> gazza glitter wrote the following in news:48c422c3$1_2@mk-nntp-
    >>> 2.news.uk.tiscali.com in alt.os.linux.ubuntu at Sun 07 Sep 2008
    >>> 11:51:54a

    >>> I've been using Kbuntu and I've been quite happy with it. Your mileage
    >>> may vary of course.

    > Hasn't Ubuntu been the most adopted system for months according to Linux
    > Journal? I wonder about all those misguided people :-)

    That and it's been in the number 1 position on www.distrowatch.com for a
    good while now.

    So far I like it and this is coming from someone who has used everything
    from slackware to knoppix.

    Take care all,
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread