Turning off master browser - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Turning off master browser - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Using Ubuntu 8.04 in Windows network. There is a Windows box which acts as a file- and printerserver, which is the master browser. Now obviously Ubuntu has become the master browser. How can I turn this off? Thanks ...

  1. Turning off master browser

    Hi all,

    Using Ubuntu 8.04 in Windows network.
    There is a Windows box which acts as a file- and printerserver, which is
    the master browser. Now obviously Ubuntu has become the master browser.
    How can I turn this off?

    Thanks in advance.

    With regards,
    Fokke Nauta

  2. Re: Turning off master browser

    * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Using Ubuntu 8.04 in Windows network.
    > There is a Windows box which acts as a file- and printerserver, which is
    > the master browser. Now obviously Ubuntu has become the master browser.
    > How can I turn this off?

    What is a master browser?

    --
    David

  3. Re: Turning off master browser

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B085C77A4409louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Using Ubuntu 8.04 in Windows network.
    >> There is a Windows box which acts as a file- and printerserver, which is
    >> the master browser. Now obviously Ubuntu has become the master browser.
    >> How can I turn this off?
    >>

    > What is a master browser?

    I don't know exactly, but it seems to be the computer that keeps track of
    all PC's and shares connected to the network.
    With Smb4k I can specify how to browse the network. I alsways specified "Ask
    the master browser, 10.0.0.140" and then it queries the Windows box at
    10.0.0.140. That was with Ubuntu 7.04.
    Now with 8.04 when the browse specification in Smb4k is the same, it queries
    itself at 10.0.0.150, as this (Ubuntu) has now become the master browser. At
    least, that's what I think.

    Fokke

  4. Re: Turning off master browser

    SINNER illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Using Ubuntu 8.04 in Windows network.
    >> There is a Windows box which acts as a file- and printerserver, which is
    >> the master browser. Now obviously Ubuntu has become the master browser.
    >> How can I turn this off?
    >>

    > What is a master browser?

    It's one of those "Active Directory" or NT things. A machine that windows
    networking using AD "elects" as the "master".

    I think the rest are the slaves.

    Anyway, it can be switched off in smb.conf

    Find the line
    domain master = yes

    Then swich to "no".

    There are also entries for local master and preferred master.

    Here's some sort of explanation
    ================
    domain master = Yes
    The option domain master specifies to set nmbd, the Samba server
    daemon, as a domain master browser for its given workgroup. This
    option usually must be set to Yes only on one Samba server for all
    other Samba servers on the same network and workgroup.

    local master = Yes
    The option local master allows nmbd, the Samba server daemon, to
    try to become a local master browser on a subnet. Like the above,
    usually this option must be set to Yes only on one Samba server that
    acts as a local master on a subnet for all the other Samba servers on
    your network.

    preferred master = Yes
    The option preferred master specifies and controls if nmbd the
    Samba server daemon, is a preferred master browser for its workgroup.
    Once again, this must usually be set to Yes on one server for all the
    others on your network.

    From
    http://tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-...p29sec284.html
    --
    "New York's such a wonderful city. Although I was at the library today.
    The guys are very rude. I said, "I'd like a card." He says, "You have

+ Reply to Thread