HH apps won't launch - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on HH apps won't launch - Ubuntu ; Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole" or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get my apps to launch. Noticed ...

  1. HH apps won't launch

    Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop
    it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole"
    or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get
    my apps to launch. Noticed that there are 5 updates waiting.
    Could the waiting updates be preventing apps from launching.
    I still have access to the cli via ssh from another machine (like this
    one) so is there a log that I can view to tell me what may
    be having the problem

    Thanks

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org

  2. Re: HH apps won't launch...solved

    On 2008-08-28, CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    > Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop
    > it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole"
    > or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get
    > my apps to launch. Noticed that there are 5 updates waiting.
    > Could the waiting updates be preventing apps from launching.
    > I still have access to the cli via ssh from another machine (like this
    > one) so is there a log that I can view to tell me what may
    > be having the problem
    >
    > Thanks

    I did a CTRL-ALT-Backspace and
    logged in again..apps came back

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org
    * Running Windows Vista Ulitmate, Ubuntu Hardy Heron and MacOS X Tiger

  3. Re: HH apps won't launch...solved

    CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-08-28, CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >> Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop
    >> it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole"
    >> or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get
    >> my apps to launch. Noticed that there are 5 updates waiting.
    >> Could the waiting updates be preventing apps from launching.
    >> I still have access to the cli via ssh from another machine (like this
    >> one) so is there a log that I can view to tell me what may
    >> be having the problem
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > I did a CTRL-ALT-Backspace and
    > logged in again..apps came back

    Have they stayed that way?

    --
    Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to wear ear plugs. ~ Spike
    Milligan

  4. Re: HH apps won't launch...solved

    On 2008-08-28, Moog wrote:
    > CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-08-28, CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >>> Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop
    >>> it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole"
    >>> or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get
    >>> my apps to launch. Noticed that there are 5 updates waiting.
    >>> Could the waiting updates be preventing apps from launching.
    >>> I still have access to the cli via ssh from another machine (like this
    >>> one) so is there a log that I can view to tell me what may
    >>> be having the problem
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> I did a CTRL-ALT-Backspace and
    >> logged in again..apps came back

    > Have they stayed that way?

    I don't know...just got home a while ago, haven't checked.

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org
    * Running Windows Vista Ulitmate, Ubuntu Hardy Heron and MacOS X Tiger

  5. Re: HH apps won't launch...solved

    On 2008-08-28, Moog wrote:
    > CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-08-28, CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >>> Using GDM on HH. When I select any app to launch from the desktop
    >>> it says "launching app" but nothing happens. The "launching konsole"
    >>> or whatever, message goes away. I have to reboot to get
    >>> my apps to launch. Noticed that there are 5 updates waiting.
    >>> Could the waiting updates be preventing apps from launching.
    >>> I still have access to the cli via ssh from another machine (like this
    >>> one) so is there a log that I can view to tell me what may
    >>> be having the problem
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> I did a CTRL-ALT-Backspace and
    >> logged in again..apps came back

    > Have they stayed that way?

    Yup, so far so good. I'm using ssh from another machine to write this