Problem with email server installation - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problem with email server installation - Ubuntu ; Attempting to set up a mail server using instructions found here: http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ Everything went fine until I got to the point where it wants me to install amavisd-new When I do it, I get this set of messages. Setting up ...

  1. Problem with email server installation

    Attempting to set up a mail server using instructions found here:

    http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/

    Everything went fine until I got to the point where it wants
    me to install amavisd-new

    When I do it, I get this set of messages.

    Setting up amavisd-new (1:2.5.3-1ubuntu3) ...
    Creating/updating amavis user account...
    Broken amavis system user found. To insure data-safety,
    it is up to you the local administrator to remove the broken
    amavis user, or repair it so that it is sane
    dpkg: error processing amavisd-new (--configure):
    amavisd-new
    A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
    Setting up amavisd-new (1:2.5.3-1ubuntu3) ...
    Creating/updating amavis user account...
    Broken amavis system user found. To insure data-safety,
    it is up to you the local administrator to remove the broken
    amavis user, or repair it so that it is sane
    dpkg: error processing amavisd-new (--configure):
    amavisd-new

    Is anyone out there who is using Hardy Heron familiar enough with this
    app to tell me how to fix this error?

    I've uninstalled it and purged it to no avail. I get this
    when ever I try to install any new applications, I suppose since
    aptitude thinks that something I tried to do has failed.

    I've opened a bug report but wonder if there is a solution
    floating around this news group

    tks

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org

  2. Re: Problem with email server installation

    CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I've opened a bug report but wonder if there is a solution
    > floating around this news group

    You've seen?
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ew/+bug/226891

    There's mention of creating the directory /var/lib/amavis and
    setting the right permissions

    --
    "I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was
    gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a

  3. Re: Problem with email server installation....solved

    On 2008-08-26, Moog wrote:
    > You've seen?
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ew/+bug/226891
    >
    > There's mention of creating the directory /var/lib/amavis and
    > setting the right permissions

    Perfect, that did exactly what I needed
    I created /var/lib/amavis and then
    set the hostname to a fully qualified domain and it works

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org
    * Running Windows Vista Ulitmate, Ubuntu Hardy Heron and MacOS X Tiger

  4. Re: Problem with email server installation....solved

    CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-08-26, Moog wrote:
    >> You've seen?
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ew/+bug/226891
    >>
    >> There's mention of creating the directory /var/lib/amavis and
    >> setting the right permissions
    >>

    > Perfect, that did exactly what I needed
    > I created /var/lib/amavis and then
    > set the hostname to a fully qualified domain and it works

    Excellent. I'm glad it helped.

    --
    "I was pulled over in Massachusetts for reckless driving. When brought
    before the judge, I was asked if I knew what the punishment for drunk

+ Reply to Thread