Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08 - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I could open directly. As I have a lot of data and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

  1. Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    Hi all,

    I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    system, I could easily access everything.
    On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all.
    Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    With kind regards,
    Fokke Nauta

  2. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    > On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all.
    > Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in
    > 8.04?


    Are you sure that you didn't delete those partitions during
    installation? Could you mount them manually?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.2
    ^ ^ 21:03:01 up 19 days 5:15 3 users load average: 1.06 1.07 1.01
    (CSSA):
    http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

  3. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    > 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    > could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    > system, I could easily access everything.
    > On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all.
    > Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in
    > 8.04?
    >


    The should have been listed under the places menu, once selected you would
    have been prompted for your password and given the opportunity to make the
    permissions stick. Why not ask before reinstalling an older version?

    --
    David

  4. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.04

    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    news:48b3ff25$0$90270$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
    >> On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all.
    >> Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in
    >> 8.04?

    >
    > Are you sure that you didn't delete those partitions during
    > installation? Could you mount them manually?
    >


    Of course I didn't.
    I re-installed Ubuntu 7.10 and voila, all icons and partitions are there
    again.
    It's just that all this is shown as icons on the desktop un 7.10, whereas in
    8.04 nothing is there.

    Mounting manually? Don't know, haven't tried. Quite a lot of partitions to
    mount then.
    Ubuntu 7.10 shows them out of the box.



  5. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B065AF318F9Blouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    >> 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    >> could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    >> system, I could easily access everything.
    >> On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all.
    >> Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in
    >> 8.04?
    >>

    >
    > The should have been listed under the places menu, once selected you would
    > have been prompted for your password and given the opportunity to make the
    > permissions stick. Why not ask before reinstalling an older version?
    >


    Thanks.
    So - when I would make the permissions stick, as you say, the icons of the
    partitions will appear on my desk top?
    That's exactly what I want.
    I didn't ask becaude I didn't know. And I thought that not all that is
    newer, is better. I know this from the Windows world. I thought perhaps 7.10
    still may be better and more useful to me than 8.04. But what do I know
    about the Linux world? Ubuntu is a nice experience there.

    Fokke



  6. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > "SINNER" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9B065AF318F9Blouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >>* Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that
    >>> in 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop,
    >>> which I could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple
    >>> OS's on my system, I could easily access everything.
    >>> On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at
    >>> all. Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the
    >>> desktop in 8.04?
    >>>

    >>
    >> The should have been listed under the places menu, once selected you
    >> would have been prompted for your password and given the opportunity
    >> to make the permissions stick. Why not ask before reinstalling an
    >> older version?
    >>

    >
    > Thanks.
    > So - when I would make the permissions stick, as you say, the icons of
    > the partitions will appear on my desk top?


    No, you would need to choose them from the places menu and they would
    automagically appear, to make them show on the desktop you will need to
    add them to /etc/fstab.

    > That's exactly what I want.
    > I didn't ask becaude I didn't know.


    As a friendly piwce of advice, in the future, ask first before a
    reinstall, ALWAYS. Going backwards and reinstalling is Windows think.

    > And I thought that not all that is
    > newer, is better. I know this from the Windows world.


    Above, although sometimes true, like in the case of a new kernel release
    that may break something, with Linux you can choose to boot the older
    kernel to get your functionality back

    > I thought
    > perhaps 7.10 still may be better and more useful to me than 8.04. But
    > what do I know about the Linux world? Ubuntu is a nice experience
    > there.


    Welcome, dont hesitate to ask questions.

    --
    David

  7. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:20 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    > 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    > could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    > system, I could easily access everything. On 8.04 there are no icons of
    > other partitions on the desktop at all. Is there a way to automatically
    > have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > With kind regards,
    > Fokke Nauta


    Why does your header say "8.08" ? But the body says "8.04" ? Cant be a
    type because the "8" key" is too far away from the "4" key. Are you a
    ****ing Fick ****er ?

  8. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:05:22 GMT, Mr Spock
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:20 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    >> 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    >> could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    >> system, I could easily access everything. On 8.04 there are no icons of
    >> other partitions on the desktop at all. Is there a way to automatically
    >> have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> With kind regards,
    >> Fokke Nauta

    >
    >Why does your header say "8.08" ? But the body says "8.04" ? Cant be a
    >type because the "8" key" is too far away from the "4" key. Are you a
    >****ing Fick ****er ?


    No, Troll, he's not as he hasn't yet his union card with the F*cking
    Fick F*cker's Local. I, on the otherhand, AM a member of said F*cking
    Fick F*cker's Local and am therefore qualified to assess the situation
    and make the following finding:

    Your chubby little urine-stained fingers are too short to hit the
    "delete" button and thus you are doomed to spill your vapid vomitus
    all over your little keyboard and on out into cyberspace.

    Work on that, won't you?

  9. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:55:30 -0400, Bill, the Mighty Troll Trapper wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:05:22 GMT, Mr Spock wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:20 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    >>> 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    >>> could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    >>> system, I could easily access everything. On 8.04 there are no icons
    >>> of other partitions on the desktop at all. Is there a way to
    >>> automatically have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>
    >>> With kind regards,
    >>> Fokke Nauta

    >>
    >>Why does your header say "8.08" ? But the body says "8.04" ? Cant be a
    >>type because the "8" key" is too far away from the "4" key. Are you a
    >>****ing Fick ****er ?

    >
    > No, Troll, he's not as he hasn't yet his union card with the F*cking
    > Fick F*cker's Local. I, on the otherhand, AM a member of said F*cking
    > Fick F*cker's Local and am therefore qualified to assess the situation
    > and make the following finding:
    >
    > Your chubby little urine-stained fingers are too short to hit the
    > "delete" button and thus you are doomed to spill your vapid vomitus all
    > over your little keyboard and on out into cyberspace.
    >
    > Work on that, won't you?


    My fingers are urine stained from giving your BBW wife a good fingering,
    she was moaning like a whore saying she's never had it so good. In fact,
    just so I could find her twat I had to ask her to piss, so I could swim
    upstream like a trout, hence why my fingers were urine stained.

    And when I finally mounted the whale I asked her if I could switch off
    the light. She asked if I was being romantic. To which I replied "No, the
    lightbulb is scorching my arse cheeks". Not saying she's ****ing fat or
    nothing !!!

  10. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    "SINNER" wrote in message
    news:Xns9B06658864F08louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >* Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> "SINNER" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9B065AF318F9Blouiscypherhellorg@140.99.99. 130...
    >>>* Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>>> Hi all,
    >>>>
    >>>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that
    >>>> in 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop,
    >>>> which I could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple
    >>>> OS's on my system, I could easily access everything.
    >>>> On 8.04 there are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at
    >>>> all. Is there a way to automatically have all those icons on the
    >>>> desktop in 8.04?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> The should have been listed under the places menu, once selected you
    >>> would have been prompted for your password and given the opportunity
    >>> to make the permissions stick. Why not ask before reinstalling an
    >>> older version?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> So - when I would make the permissions stick, as you say, the icons of
    >> the partitions will appear on my desk top?

    >
    > No, you would need to choose them from the places menu and they would
    > automagically appear, to make them show on the desktop you will need to
    > add them to /etc/fstab.


    In my current /etc/fstab I see many entries, for instance:
    # /dev/sdb3
    UUID=9A1C1D8A1C1D6315 /media/sdb3 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0
    1
    This is one of the partitions that show up on the desktop.
    You are saying I need to add a line as such, for each partition I would like
    to see as an icon on the desktop?
    "/media/sdb3" is clear but where do I get the other details from? Is there
    any application that can do this?

    >> That's exactly what I want.
    >> I didn't ask becaude I didn't know.

    >
    > As a friendly piwce of advice, in the future, ask first before a
    > reinstall, ALWAYS. Going backwards and reinstalling is Windows think.


    I grew up with CP/M, DOS and Windows. I can't help thinking this way :-)
    Even a full course of SCO Unix couldn't change that!

    OK, I tried a fresh install of 8.04. The 1st 3 options (trying Ubuntu,
    Installing Ubuntu and checking the CD) don't get any further than after a
    short while and initialyzing Ubuntu a command prompt after Busybox v 1.1.3,
    saying "Enter `help` for a list of built-in commands. Strange enough the
    very same CD was found allright after a check earlier on and I have done an
    installation of 8.04 before. What's going on now?
    Should I upgrade the current 7.10 to 8.04 instead of a fresh installation of
    8.04 (which seems impossible at the moment)?

    >> And I thought that not all that is
    >> newer, is better. I know this from the Windows world.

    >
    > Above, although sometimes true, like in the case of a new kernel release
    > that may break something, with Linux you can choose to boot the older
    > kernel to get your functionality back
    >
    >> I thought
    >> perhaps 7.10 still may be better and more useful to me than 8.04. But
    >> what do I know about the Linux world? Ubuntu is a nice experience
    >> there.

    >
    > Welcome, dont hesitate to ask questions.


    I will. Thanks!

    Fokke



  11. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    Mr Spock wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:55:30 -0400, Bill, the Mighty Troll Trapper wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:05:22 GMT, Mr Spock wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:20 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hi all,
    >>>>
    >>>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that in
    >>>> 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop, which I
    >>>> could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple OS's on my
    >>>> system, I could easily access everything. On 8.04 there are no icons
    >>>> of other partitions on the desktop at all. Is there a way to
    >>>> automatically have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>>
    >>>> With kind regards,
    >>>> Fokke Nauta
    >>> Why does your header say "8.08" ? But the body says "8.04" ? Cant be a
    >>> type because the "8" key" is too far away from the "4" key. Are you a
    >>> ****ing Fick ****er ?

    >> No, Troll, he's not as he hasn't yet his union card with the F*cking
    >> Fick F*cker's Local. I, on the otherhand, AM a member of said F*cking
    >> Fick F*cker's Local and am therefore qualified to assess the situation
    >> and make the following finding:
    >>
    >> Your chubby little urine-stained fingers are too short to hit the
    >> "delete" button and thus you are doomed to spill your vapid vomitus all
    >> over your little keyboard and on out into cyberspace.
    >>
    >> Work on that, won't you?

    >
    > My fingers are urine stained from giving your BBW wife a good fingering,
    > she was moaning like a whore saying she's never had it so good. In fact,
    > just so I could find her twat I had to ask her to piss, so I could swim
    > upstream like a trout, hence why my fingers were urine stained.
    >
    > And when I finally mounted the whale I asked her if I could switch off
    > the light. She asked if I was being romantic. To which I replied "No, the
    > lightbulb is scorching my arse cheeks". Not saying she's ****ing fat or
    > nothing !!!


    So that explain why your using 8.10 in the other post.


  12. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:35:12 +0100, Ram wrote:

    > Mr Spock wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:55:30 -0400, Bill, the Mighty Troll Trapper
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:05:22 GMT, Mr Spock
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:07:20 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Hi all,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I installed Ubuntu 8.04 but went back to 7.10. The reason is, that
    >>>>> in 7.10 there were icons of all other partitions on the desktop,
    >>>>> which I could open directly. As I have a lot of data and multiple
    >>>>> OS's on my system, I could easily access everything. On 8.04 there
    >>>>> are no icons of other partitions on the desktop at all. Is there a
    >>>>> way to automatically have all those icons on the desktop in 8.04?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> With kind regards,
    >>>>> Fokke Nauta
    >>>> Why does your header say "8.08" ? But the body says "8.04" ? Cant be
    >>>> a type because the "8" key" is too far away from the "4" key. Are you
    >>>> a ****ing Fick ****er ?
    >>> No, Troll, he's not as he hasn't yet his union card with the F*cking
    >>> Fick F*cker's Local. I, on the otherhand, AM a member of said F*cking
    >>> Fick F*cker's Local and am therefore qualified to assess the situation
    >>> and make the following finding:
    >>>
    >>> Your chubby little urine-stained fingers are too short to hit the
    >>> "delete" button and thus you are doomed to spill your vapid vomitus
    >>> all over your little keyboard and on out into cyberspace.
    >>>
    >>> Work on that, won't you?

    >>
    >> My fingers are urine stained from giving your BBW wife a good
    >> fingering, she was moaning like a whore saying she's never had it so
    >> good. In fact, just so I could find her twat I had to ask her to piss,
    >> so I could swim upstream like a trout, hence why my fingers were urine
    >> stained.
    >>
    >> And when I finally mounted the whale I asked her if I could switch off
    >> the light. She asked if I was being romantic. To which I replied "No,
    >> the lightbulb is scorching my arse cheeks". Not saying she's ****ing
    >> fat or nothing !!!

    >
    > So that explain why your using 8.10 in the other post.



    Try learning to read you ****ing moron. Ive never mentioned (Im sure I
    haven't) that I use 8.10. Im currently using 7.10

  13. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]

    > In my current /etc/fstab I see many entries, for instance:
    > # /dev/sdb3
    > UUID=9A1C1D8A1C1D6315 /media/sdb3 ntfs
    > defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    > This is one of the partitions that show up on the desktop.
    > You are saying I need to add a line as such, for each partition I
    > would like to see as an icon on the desktop?


    Correct

    > "/media/sdb3" is clear but where do I get the other details from? Is
    > there any application that can do this?


    Try this script:

    http://media.ubuntu-nl.org/scripts/diskmounter

    --
    David

  14. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.04

    > Mounting manually? Don't know, haven't tried. Quite a lot of partitions to
    > mount then.
    > Ubuntu 7.10 shows them out of the box.


    What kind of partition are they? ext3? ntfs? ext2?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.2
    ^ ^ 10:48:01 up 20 days 19:00 3 users load average: 1.13 1.12 1.17
    (CSSA):
    http://www.swd.gov.hk/tc/index/site_...ub_addressesa/

  15. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.08

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Fokke Nauta wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> In my current /etc/fstab I see many entries, for instance:
    >> # /dev/sdb3
    >> UUID=9A1C1D8A1C1D6315 /media/sdb3 ntfs
    >> defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    >> This is one of the partitions that show up on the desktop.
    >> You are saying I need to add a line as such, for each partition I
    >> would like to see as an icon on the desktop?

    >
    > Correct
    >
    >> "/media/sdb3" is clear but where do I get the other details from? Is
    >> there any application that can do this?

    >
    > Try this script:
    >
    > http://media.ubuntu-nl.org/scripts/diskmounter
    >


    I downloaded it, perhaps for the next time.
    I was not able to do a fresh installment if the 8.04 CD, as starting up
    Ubuntu resulted in a command prompt "Busybox v1.13 Enter "help" for a
    list of built-in commands. (initramfs)".
    So I did an upgrade to 8.04. That succeeded, and I kept my old desktop
    icons and applications.
    But it caused a new problem, See my new post (Can't see Windows share
    after upgrade to 8.04).

    Fokke

  16. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.04


    "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
    news:48b61221$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
    >> Mounting manually? Don't know, haven't tried. Quite a lot of partitions
    >> to
    >> mount then.
    >> Ubuntu 7.10 shows them out of the box.

    >
    > What kind of partition are they? ext3? ntfs? ext2?
    >


    They are all NTFS.

    But I have not installed a fresh copy of 8.04, but upgraded 7.10 to 8.04.
    That way I kept all icons to the other partitions on my desktop.
    But it shouldn't be like that.

    Fokke



  17. Re: Seeing other partitions in Ubuntu 8.04

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:21:08 +0200, "Fokke Nauta"
    wrote:

    >Of course I didn't.
    >I re-installed Ubuntu 7.10 and voila, all icons and partitions are there
    >again.
    >
    >It's just that all this is shown as icons on the desktop un 7.10, whereas in
    >8.04 nothing is there.
    >
    >Mounting manually? Don't know, haven't tried. Quite a lot of partitions to
    >mount then.
    >
    >Ubuntu 7.10 shows them out of the box.


    There had been a new "security" feature that had been added to
    Hardy that didn't exist in Gutsy. NTFS partitions no longer
    auto-mount. There are several methods available to get your NTFS
    partitions to automount, several from these folk here that seem to
    automatically assume the worse and give you some of the most difficult
    options available to fix it, one of which is simply installing the
    graphical disk mount program called "Storage Device Manager" which can
    be found in the Add/Remove on Applications. It even comes with an
    assistant with checkboxes that allow you to choose what settings you
    want during boot up.

    Like in Gutsy, using the Storage Device Manager in Hardy will
    set the mounts to Read-Only, for which you'll need NTFS-3g installed
    to write to them as well.

    Hope this helps...

    --
    -=-=-/ )=*=-='=-.-'-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    _( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli
    (((\ \> /_1 `
    (\\\\ \_/ /
    -=-\ /-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    \ _/ Who are these folks and why have they
    / / stopped taking their medication?
    - Captain Infinity

+ Reply to Thread