Standby and Hibernate - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Standby and Hibernate - Ubuntu ; Has anyone got these to work in 8.04. I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?...

  1. Standby and Hibernate

    Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.

    I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

  2. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >
    > I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    It depends what system you are using.

    The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.

    I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)

    Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    may be able to help or guide you to the right info,

    --
    “Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented
    custard” ~ Spike Milligan.

  3. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:
    > Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >>
    >> I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    > It depends what system you are using.
    >
    > The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    > than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.
    >
    > I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    > booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)
    >
    > Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    > may be able to help or guide you to the right info,

    I had to turn off screen saver and power saving settings because
    my HP Pavilion laptop suddenly goes wonky when the screen or power saver
    settings kick in. By wonky I mean weird horizontal and vertical lines
    on the display with no other way to recover except to hard reboot.

    I noticed the same thing when the box is restarting, but since
    its coming down and going back up, it doesn't bother me too much.

    I've updated the video drivers...whats this acpi thing and do you
    think it might help me?

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org

  4. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    CGeek Wannabe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:
    >> Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >>>
    >>> I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    >> It depends what system you are using.
    >>
    >> The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    >> than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.
    >>
    >> I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    >> booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)
    >>
    >> Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    >> may be able to help or guide you to the right info,
    >>

    > I had to turn off screen saver and power saving settings because
    > my HP Pavilion laptop suddenly goes wonky when the screen or power saver
    > settings kick in. By wonky I mean weird horizontal and vertical lines
    > on the display with no other way to recover except to hard reboot.

    Yup. Similar to what happened with my toshiba. I could do with the
    laptop model number though to correctly advise or point you in the
    right direction.

    > I noticed the same thing when the box is restarting, but since
    > its coming down and going back up, it doesn't bother me too much.

    It may well be something you cannot put right. If the BIOS is heavily
    customised for windows, then the linux kernel is going to struggle to
    use the correct parameters.

    > I've updated the video drivers...whats this acpi thing and do you
    > think it might help me?

    Here's the wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ower_Interface

    And here's a bit of essential reading before you start
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto

    Firstly, to try it without acpi. You'll need to press "e" when the grub
    bootloader starts straight after the BIOS screen. You may first need
    to press ESC to get the grub menu to show if it doesn't show as
    standard.

    In the default line you boot from you need to append it with the flag
    "acpi=off".

    In other words, change the line that looks like this
    "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    root=UUID=1d1642ed-04cf-417d-939a-1e6e6127519d ro quiet splash"
    "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic
    root=UUID=1d1642ed-04cf-417d-939a-1e6e6127519d ro quiet splash
    acpi=off"

    See the difference? This will mean your system will boot without acpi
    enabled. It *could* cure your issue, but I'm only guessing.as you've
    not given us the laptop model you are using.

    IF. And only *if*, that works you can commit it permanently.

    Once again, see the following page
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
    (This is the same link as above, so PLEASE read it)

    Scroll down to "setting kernel paramters and follow the instructions.
    Replace "noapic" with "acpi=off"

    --
    "When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had
    that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas..." ~

  5. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    Moog wrote:
    > Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >>
    >> I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    > It depends what system you are using.
    >
    > The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    > than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.
    >
    > I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    > booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)
    >
    > Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    > may be able to help or guide you to the right info,

    I have this same problem. Neither hibernate nor suspend work (reliably).
    I say reliably because 3 times I got it to suspend and recover but never
    again. I have been running Kubuntu since 6.04 and now Ubuntu 8.04.1. I
    have an HP Pavilion dv6258se.

    I haven't tried your suggestion of acpi=off yet as I just started
    reading this thread and wanted to reply with my model number.

    Thx for any help you may provide.

  6. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    CountryGuy illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >>>
    >>> I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    >> It depends what system you are using.
    >>
    >> The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    >> than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.
    >>
    >> I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    >> booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)
    >>
    >> Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    >> may be able to help or guide you to the right info,
    >>

    > I have this same problem. Neither hibernate nor suspend work (reliably).
    > I say reliably because 3 times I got it to suspend and recover but never
    > again. I have been running Kubuntu since 6.04 and now Ubuntu 8.04.1. I
    > have an HP Pavilion dv6258se.
    >
    > I haven't tried your suggestion of acpi=off yet as I just started
    > reading this thread and wanted to reply with my model number.
    >
    > Thx for any help you may provide.

    You could check out the post and pdf attachment at

    I don't own a HP, but it may help, and the thread will be monitored by
    the author who seems to have drawn together a lot of info.

    --
    "So I went down my local ice~cream shop, and said 'I want to buy an
    ice~cream'. He said Hundreds & thousands?' I said 'We'll start with

  7. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    On 2008-08-24, Euclid wrote:
    > Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >
    > I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    I did get it to work after a lot of pain (ruined filesystem etc, there
    is a big bug thread about it on launchpad).

    By the time I got it to work I did not need it, as regular boot takes
    about as long as recovery from deep hibernation.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    On 2008-08-24, CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    > On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:
    >> Euclid illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Has anyone got these to work in 8.04.
    >>>
    >>> I have never been able to recover from these states yet. Any hints or clues?

    >> It depends what system you are using.
    >>
    >> The reason for failure usually stems from the BIOS of a machine, more
    >> than likely it is a laptop with a custom BIOS.
    >>
    >> I've had partial success by setting the acpi apic flags to off while
    >> booting the kernel (specifically on a Toshiba Satelite Laptop)
    >>
    >> Let us know what system and hardware you are having the issue on. We
    >> may be able to help or guide you to the right info,
    >>

    > I had to turn off screen saver and power saving settings because
    > my HP Pavilion laptop suddenly goes wonky when the screen or power saver
    > settings kick in. By wonky I mean weird horizontal and vertical lines
    > on the display with no other way to recover except to hard reboot.
    >
    > I noticed the same thing when the box is restarting, but since
    > its coming down and going back up, it doesn't bother me too much.
    >
    > I've updated the video drivers...whats this acpi thing and do you
    > think it might help me?

    Assuming you have nvidia...

    Try removing the proprietary NVidia drivers, if you have them, and use
    nv for video driver.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    Ignoramus29035,

    > after a lot of pain (ruined filesystem

    I thought I was an exception when it happened to me some months ago -- can
    I remove this hibernation-time-bomb-button from the shutdown dialog (and
    everywhere else)?

    --
    /\/\arkus.

  10. Re: Standby and Hibernate

    On 2008-08-27, Markus Springweiler wrote:
    > Ignoramus29035,
    >
    >> after a lot of pain (ruined filesystem

    > I thought I was an exception when it happened to me some months ago -- can
    > I remove this hibernation-time-bomb-button from the shutdown dialog (and
    > everywhere else)?

    No, there is a big thread on launchpad about it, which I started some
    months ago, do a google search for "hardy ruins filesystem launchpad".

    It turns out that the fix is to turn some obscure kernel option
    IOMMU=soft.

    But the kernel, sees whatever is the IOMMU problem and reports it, so
    why cannot it turn IOMMU to soft by itself?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  11. Re: Standby and Hibernate

+ Reply to Thread