setting up laptop - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on setting up laptop - Ubuntu ; Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS on my laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and right now the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing. Having bought a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. setting up laptop

    Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS on my
    laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and right now
    the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.

    Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use, I've
    already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items copied into
    Evolution without a problem.

    I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd rather
    setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a bunch of
    things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with Thunderbird but it
    seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this group. I don't have
    major requirements other than to simply read and respond to the odd
    message...I will add that after years of being forced into the GUI world
    with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it that I'd like to use a
    graphically oriented reader rather than running a command line type program.

    So, any thoughts, anyone?

    Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.

    Tim

  2. Re: setting up laptop

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Tim Scott Mathews wrote:

    > Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS
    > on my laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and
    > right now the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >
    > Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use,
    > I've already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items
    > copied into Evolution without a problem.
    >
    > I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd
    > rather setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a
    > bunch of things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with
    > Thunderbird but it seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this
    > group. I don't have major requirements other than to simply read and
    > respond to the odd message...I will add that after years of being forced
    > into the GUI world with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it
    > that I'd like to use a graphically oriented reader rather than running a
    > command line type program.
    >
    > So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.
    >
    > Tim

    Pan

    clean simple and reliable.

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: setting up laptop

    Christopher D. Thompson wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Tim Scott Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS
    >> on my laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and
    >> right now the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >>
    >> Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use,
    >> I've already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items
    >> copied into Evolution without a problem.
    >>
    >> I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd
    >> rather setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a
    >> bunch of things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with
    >> Thunderbird but it seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this
    >> group. I don't have major requirements other than to simply read and
    >> respond to the odd message...I will add that after years of being forced
    >> into the GUI world with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it
    >> that I'd like to use a graphically oriented reader rather than running a
    >> command line type program.
    >>
    >> So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >>
    >> Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.
    >>
    >> Tim

    > Pan
    >
    > clean simple and reliable.

    I like KNode.

  4. Re: setting up laptop

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:54:41 +0000, Christopher D. Thompson wrote:

    > --

    Thanks so much...as you can see, I'm using it.

  5. Re: setting up laptop

    Tim Scott Mathews illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS on my
    > laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and right now
    > the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >
    > Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use, I've
    > already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items copied into
    > Evolution without a problem.
    >
    > I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd rather
    > setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a bunch of
    > things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with Thunderbird but it
    > seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this group. I don't have
    > major requirements other than to simply read and respond to the odd
    > message...I will add that after years of being forced into the GUI world
    > with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it that I'd like to use a
    > graphically oriented reader rather than running a command line type program.
    >
    > So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.

    Pan,
    Knode
    Claws Mail
    Sylpheed

    Are all good and one may well suit you more than another

    --
    "I was with this girl the other night and from the way she was
    responding to my skillful caresses, you would have sworn that she was

  6. Re: setting up laptop

    On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:

    > Pan,
    > Knode
    > Claws Mail
    > Sylpheed
    >
    > Are all good and one may well suit you more than another

    What, no votes for Thunderbird? :-)

    --
    * CGeek Wannabe = I Want To Be Cranky Geek
    * http://www.crankygeeks.com and http://improve-usenet.org

  7. Re: setting up laptop

    CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    > On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Pan,
    >> Knode
    >> Claws Mail
    >> Sylpheed
    >>
    >> Are all good and one may well suit you more than another
    >>

    > What, no votes for Thunderbird? :-)

    I use Thunderbird. However I also use all of the others mentioned. Each
    has its pluses and minuses.

    Some people refuse to vote because there is no really good choice.

    Others vote for the lesser evil, like in American politics. ;-)

    --
    John

  8. Re: setting up laptop

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Tim Scott Mathews wrote:

    > Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS
    > on my laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and
    > right now the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >
    > Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use,
    > I've already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items
    > copied into Evolution without a problem.
    >
    > I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd
    > rather setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a
    > bunch of things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with
    > Thunderbird but it seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this
    > group. I don't have major requirements other than to simply read and
    > respond to the odd message...I will add that after years of being forced
    > into the GUI world with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it
    > that I'd like to use a graphically oriented reader rather than running a
    > command line type program.
    >
    > So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.
    >
    > Tim

    I use Pan because it is the closest thing to Agent which I had used under
    windows since it was in a version below a whole number.

    Pan does not post attached files of any kind. That is not an issue for
    me, but you should be aware of that.

    I have never used thunderbird so have no opinion one way or the other.

  9. Re: setting up laptop

    On 2008-08-25, John F. Morse hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > CGeek Wannabe wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-24, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Pan,
    >>> Knode
    >>> Claws Mail
    >>> Sylpheed
    >>>
    >>> Are all good and one may well suit you more than another
    >>>

    >> What, no votes for Thunderbird? :-)

    > I use Thunderbird. However I also use all of the others mentioned. Each
    > has its pluses and minuses.
    >
    > Some people refuse to vote because there is no really good choice.
    >
    > Others vote for the lesser evil, like in American politics. ;-)

    I'd vote for "SLRN" but since the OP demanded a *GUI*.

    Have to admit though, I started using SLRN in the shell,
    but now for almost a year I'm running it in "terminal" in a
    XFCE environment. Typing my reply in Pan f.e. wouldn't be
    any faster anyway... :-)

    I saw once a cartoon in which a guy was (at the time) buying
    top of the line equipment, then to sit there and type with
    *two* fingers...

    --

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  10. Re: setting up laptop

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:15:59 +0000 (UTC),
    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2008-08-25, John F. Morse hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> CGeek Wannabe wrote:

    XPN is also good.

    >>> What, no votes for Thunderbird? :-)

    >> I use Thunderbird. However I also use all of the others mentioned. Each
    >> has its pluses and minuses.
    >>
    >> Some people refuse to vote because there is no really good choice.
    >>
    >> Others vote for the lesser evil, like in American politics. ;-)

    > I'd vote for "SLRN" but since the OP demanded a *GUI*.
    >
    > Have to admit though, I started using SLRN in the shell,
    > but now for almost a year I'm running it in "terminal" in a
    > XFCE environment. Typing my reply in Pan f.e. wouldn't be
    > any faster anyway... :-)

    I mostly use slrn in a Konsole tab. The great advantage is that X
    fonts such as DejaVu support more Unicode glyphs than any console
    fonts I've discovered so far.

    > I saw once a cartoon in which a guy was (at the time) buying
    > top of the line equipment, then to sit there and type with
    > *two* fingers...

    Some posters in recent controversial threads here don't even seem to
    have both hands available for typing. :-)

    --
    PJR :-)
    slrn newsreader (v0.9.9): http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

  11. Re: setting up laptop

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Some posters in recent controversial threads here don't even seem to
    > have both hands available for typing. :-)

    --
    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  12. Re: setting up laptop

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:46:44 +0000, Tim Scott Mathews wrote:

    > Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS
    > on my laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and
    > right now the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >
    > Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use,
    > I've already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items
    > copied into Evolution without a problem.
    >
    > I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd
    > rather setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a
    > bunch of things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with
    > Thunderbird but it seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this
    > group. I don't have major requirements other than to simply read and
    > respond to the odd message...I will add that after years of being forced
    > into the GUI world with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it
    > that I'd like to use a graphically oriented reader rather than running a
    > command line type program.
    >
    > So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.
    >
    > Tim

    I've been happy with PAN

  13. Re: setting up laptop

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 18:02:05 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Some posters in recent controversial threads here don't even seem to
    >> have both hands available for typing. :-)

    Waving one's hand isn't what I meant about having a hand unavailable
    for typing.

    OTOH, maybe it wasn't your hand you were waving...

    But seriously, why are you using slrn SVN when stable source code and
    stable Ubuntu packages are available? SVN is quite likely to start
    breaking soon, when JED starts innovating instead of fixing bugs.

    --
    PJR :-)
    slrn newsreader (v0.9.9): http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
    extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
    newsgroup name validator: http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

  14. Re: setting up laptop

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 18:02:05 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Some posters in recent controversial threads here don't even seem to
    >>> have both hands available for typing. :-)

    > Waving one's hand isn't what I meant about having a hand unavailable
    > for typing.

    I have a hand available for typing. The problem with my hands is the
    "finger girth". This is simply a "rather large finger" issue, and a
    laziness regarding spellchecking and proof reading.

    > OTOH, maybe it wasn't your hand you were waving...

    You wouldn't like it stuck on the end of your nose.

    > But seriously, why are you using slrn SVN when stable source code and
    > stable Ubuntu packages are available? SVN is quite likely to start
    > breaking soon, when JED starts innovating instead of fixing bugs.

    I'm proficient enough with the OS to return to a previous version
    should that ever occur.

    Seriously. Why do you think I shouldn't? A breakage in a package is
    not an issue for me.

    slrn is my preferred newsreader. I want to keep on top of it as it
    improves. I may also be classed as a "beta tester" of sorts and
    perhaps may notice a bug or error that no-one else does. Should that
    occur, I would ask about it in n.s.r, and this may well lead to a
    quicker solution.

    I'm also extremely intrigued by the direction JED is taking it. Some
    of his "project map" looks extremely good.

    Anyway. Given all the above, why *shouldn't* I?

    --
    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  15. Re: setting up laptop

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 19:14:54 GMT, Moog
    wrote:

    > Anyway. Given all the above, why *shouldn't* I?

    I eat my words. Welcome to the slrn testing team! :-)

    --
    PJR :-)
    slrn newsreader (v0.9.9): http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
    extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
    newsgroup name validator: http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

  16. Re: setting up laptop

    Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 19:14:54 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway. Given all the above, why *shouldn't* I?

    > I eat my words. Welcome to the slrn testing team! :-)

    Thank you.

    --
    "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs
    and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn~up for the books." ~

  17. Re: setting up laptop

    I use ubuntu on my Acer laptop and I use slrn for newsreading, which
    works great. Pan works well but lacks advanced scripting features of
    slrn. But there is nothing wrong with pan.

    On 2008-08-24, Tim Scott Mathews wrote:
    > Having tested Ubuntu before, I just decided to make it my full time OS on my
    > laptop and, as I write, I've finished the basic installation and right now
    > the massive updates (nearly 500 items) is installing.
    >
    > Having bought a Palm TX so that I could have a pocket computer to use, I've
    > already successfully synced and my contacts and calendar items copied into
    > Evolution without a problem.
    >
    > I decided to ask a question here before I setup my newsreader as I'd rather
    > setup the one I'm gonna end up using rather than installing a bunch of
    > things I'll end up not using. I'm somewhat familiar with Thunderbird but it
    > seems to get slammed as a lousy newsreader in this group. I don't have
    > major requirements other than to simply read and respond to the odd
    > message...I will add that after years of being forced into the GUI world
    > with Microsoft Windows, I've gotten so used to it that I'd like to use a
    > graphically oriented reader rather than running a command line type program.
    >
    > So, any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    > Thanks so much for this and previous help which has been great.
    >
    > Tim

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  18. Re: setting up laptop

    On 2008-08-25, Peter J Ross wrote:
    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 18:02:05 GMT, Moog
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Some posters in recent controversial threads here don't even seem to
    >>> have both hands available for typing. :-)

    > Waving one's hand isn't what I meant about having a hand unavailable
    > for typing.
    >
    > OTOH, maybe it wasn't your hand you were waving...
    >

    > But seriously, why are you using slrn SVN when stable source code and
    > stable Ubuntu packages are available? SVN is quite likely to start
    > breaking soon, when JED starts innovating instead of fixing bugs.

    Sure, but what's the worse that can happen? I keep the .debs of all
    previous versions after installing the new one, so if you run into a
    problem, just remove slrn and install the previous working copy until
    the bugs are fixed...

    SLRN is one of those cases where the svn version is consistently good,
    so many people are willing to take the risks...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  19. Re: setting up laptop

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-08-25, Peter J Ross wrote:
    >> In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 25 Aug 2008 18:02:05 GMT, Moog
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter J Ross illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Waving one's hand isn't what I meant about having a hand unavailable
    >> for typing.
    >>
    >> OTOH, maybe it wasn't your hand you were waving...
    >>

    >> But seriously, why are you using slrn SVN when stable source code and
    >> stable Ubuntu packages are available? SVN is quite likely to start
    >> breaking soon, when JED starts innovating instead of fixing bugs.

    > Sure, but what's the worse that can happen? I keep the .debs of all
    > previous versions after installing the new one, so if you run into a
    > problem, just remove slrn and install the previous working copy until
    > the bugs are fixed...

    Aaah. The ubiquitous "checkinstall".

    I'm going to have to start using it, methinks.

    > SLRN is one of those cases where the svn version is consistently good,
    > so many people are willing to take the risks...

    Absolutely. I've only ever had one issue and by the time I pointed it
    out, JED had released two further revsions.

    --
    "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They
    left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.' So that

  20. Re: setting up laptop

    * Moog wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-08-25, Peter J Ross wrote:

    >>> Waving one's hand isn't what I meant about having a hand unavailable
    >>> for typing.
    >>>
    >>> OTOH, maybe it wasn't your hand you were waving...
    >>>

    >>> But seriously, why are you using slrn SVN when stable source code and
    >>> stable Ubuntu packages are available? SVN is quite likely to start
    >>> breaking soon, when JED starts innovating instead of fixing bugs.

    >> Sure, but what's the worse that can happen? I keep the .debs of all
    >> previous versions after installing the new one, so if you run into a
    >> problem, just remove slrn and install the previous working copy until
    >> the bugs are fixed...

    > Aaah. The ubiquitous "checkinstall".
    >
    > I'm going to have to start using it, methinks.

    You mean you dont already?!

    --
    David

+ Reply to Thread