Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu - Ubuntu ; What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access shares in a Windows network. Ideally the Windows shares should show up in the file manager (Thunar being Xubuntu's default). I've tried smb4k, and it works, but ...

  1. Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access
    shares in a Windows network. Ideally the Windows shares should
    show up in the file manager (Thunar being Xubuntu's default).

    I've tried smb4k, and it works, but only later found out that
    it's not supported on Xubuntu and that it installs 130 MB of KDE
    stuff that would probably fit Kubuntu better than Xubuntu. For
    example, it installs a whole new KDE file manager, so now I have
    two, which is not desirable.

    Sharing Xubuntu folders as well would be nice to have.

    It should be workable for newbies, so ideally the installation
    should be easy, without having to use bash, etc.

    What are my best choices? Or should I have installed Kubuntu in
    the first place?

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  2. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access
    > shares in a Windows network. Ideally the Windows shares should
    > show up in the file manager (Thunar being Xubuntu's default).
    >
    > I've tried smb4k, and it works, but only later found out that
    > it's not supported on Xubuntu and that it installs 130 MB of KDE
    > stuff that would probably fit Kubuntu better than Xubuntu. For
    > example, it installs a whole new KDE file manager, so now I have
    > two, which is not desirable.
    >
    > Sharing Xubuntu folders as well would be nice to have.
    >
    > It should be workable for newbies, so ideally the installation
    > should be easy, without having to use bash, etc.
    >
    > What are my best choices? Or should I have installed Kubuntu in
    > the first place?

    Most of the networking stuff is window manager (Gnome, KDE, XFCE et
    al) independant and can easily be installed on any of them.

    Firstly though, can you give a little more information on what sort of
    network you are attempting to join?

    Active directory?
    Windows Domain?
    Windows Workgroup?

    I would usually recommend samba, but that could well be overkill for
    what you are trying to do

    First off though...
    Check the enabled "out of the box",
    Places -> Connect To Server

    Select "Windows Share" from the drop down box.

    Fill in all of the information it requests.

    If you don't have the information, you'll need to get it from your
    windows box or speak to your network administrator.

    --
    "Now, most dentist's chairs go up and down, don't they? The one I was
    in went back and forwards. I thought 'This is unusual'. And the dentist

  3. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access
    > shares in a Windows network. Ideally the Windows shares should
    > show up in the file manager (Thunar being Xubuntu's default).
    >
    > I've tried smb4k, and it works, but only later found out that
    > it's not supported on Xubuntu and that it installs 130 MB of KDE
    > stuff that would probably fit Kubuntu better than Xubuntu. For
    > example, it installs a whole new KDE file manager, so now I have
    > two, which is not desirable.
    >
    > Sharing Xubuntu folders as well would be nice to have.
    >
    > It should be workable for newbies, so ideally the installation
    > should be easy, without having to use bash, etc.
    >
    > What are my best choices?

    I install nautilus and nautilus-share (assuming you already have samba).
    This is the file manager from gnome, but unlike some other distros it
    doesn't bring the whole of gnome with it in Xubuntu (in 8.04 at least).
    Xubuntu now uses the gnome display manager, which might be one of the
    main reasons. Shares show up as hands under the folder icon - a bit like
    a certain other OS's file mangler. To create a share, you right click on
    a folder and select "sharing options". An alternative is pyNeighborhood,
    but it isn't a complete file manager, just a share browser and mounter.
    In previous versions of Xubuntu where I've used pyNeighborhood, I've
    managed to get Thunar to use fuse to see network shares, but it wasn't
    as good as nautilus would be for newbies.

    > Or should I have installed Kubuntu in the first place?

    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Kubuntu is an option, why not Ubuntu?

    --
    JimP

  4. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:11:46 +0100, Jim Price wrote:

    >Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >> What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access
    >> shares in a Windows network.? ...

    >I install nautilus and nautilus-share (assuming you already have samba).
    >This is the file manager from gnome, but unlike some other distros it
    >doesn't bring the whole of gnome with it in Xubuntu (in 8.04 at least).
    >Xubuntu now uses the gnome display manager, which might be one of the
    >main reasons.

    Jim,

    are you saying that Xubuntu 8.04 uses the Gnome display manager
    out of the box, or only after installing nautilus? I thought
    Xubuntu uses xfce.

    >Shares show up as hands under the folder icon - a bit like
    >a certain other OS's file mangler. To create a share, you right click on
    >a folder and select "sharing options".

    You mean in the Thunar file manager that comes with Xubuntu?

    >An alternative is pyNeighborhood,
    >but it isn't a complete file manager, just a share browser and mounter.
    >In previous versions of Xubuntu where I've used pyNeighborhood, I've
    >managed to get Thunar to use fuse to see network shares, but it wasn't
    >as good as nautilus would be for newbies.

    >> Or should I have installed Kubuntu in the first place?

    >Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Kubuntu is an option, why not Ubuntu?

    Are you sure that Gnome is better than KDE? Some people have
    different opinions on this, and I have no clue. (:-)

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  5. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On 23 Aug 2008 17:25:42 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >Most of the networking stuff is window manager (Gnome, KDE, XFCE et
    >al) independant and can easily be installed on any of them.
    >
    >Firstly though, can you give a little more information on what sort of
    >network you are attempting to join?
    >
    >Active directory?
    >Windows Domain?
    >Windows Workgroup?

    For the moment it's only a Windows workgroup.

    >I would usually recommend samba, but that could well be overkill for
    >what you are trying to do

    I guessed that too after reading some installation instructions.

    >First off though...
    >Check the enabled "out of the box",
    >Places -> Connect To Server
    >
    >Select "Windows Share" from the drop down box.

    I think Xubuntu is the odd man out in the Ubuntu crowd, in that
    it doesn't have Windows networking out of the box. In "Places" I
    don't get the choice "Connect to server". From my reading,
    Ubuntu and Kubuntu have it built-in, but Xubuntu doesn't. It
    seems to me that some low-level module needs to be installed
    first that provides SMB capability or perhaps any network
    capability.

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  6. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 23 Aug 2008 17:25:42 GMT, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>Most of the networking stuff is window manager (Gnome, KDE, XFCE et
    >>al) independant and can easily be installed on any of them.
    >>
    >>Firstly though, can you give a little more information on what sort of
    >>network you are attempting to join?
    >>
    >>Active directory?
    >>Windows Domain?
    >>Windows Workgroup?

    > For the moment it's only a Windows workgroup.
    >
    >>I would usually recommend samba, but that could well be overkill for
    >>what you are trying to do

    > I guessed that too after reading some installation instructions.
    >
    >>First off though...
    >>Check the enabled "out of the box",
    >>Places -> Connect To Server
    >>
    >>Select "Windows Share" from the drop down box.

    > I think Xubuntu is the odd man out in the Ubuntu crowd, in that
    > it doesn't have Windows networking out of the box. In "Places" I
    > don't get the choice "Connect to server". From my reading,
    > Ubuntu and Kubuntu have it built-in, but Xubuntu doesn't. It
    > seems to me that some low-level module needs to be installed
    > first that provides SMB capability or perhaps any network
    > capability.

    Hans, you can install the ubuntu-desktop environment whilst keeping
    XFCE as your active manager.

    All you need to do is
    $ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    This should bring down about 300mb of files, but all of these packages
    will be available from XFCE.

    You will then only need to log into Gnome once. Set up your shares
    using Nautilus and they shoudl "stick" for your XFCE sessions.

    --
    "Well, my brother says Hello. So, hooray for speech therapy." ~ Emo
    Philips

  7. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:11:46 +0100, Jim Price wrote:
    >
    >> Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >>> What's the best software to add to Xubuntu to be able to access
    >>> shares in a Windows network.? ...

    >> I install nautilus and nautilus-share (assuming you already have samba).
    >> This is the file manager from gnome, but unlike some other distros it
    >> doesn't bring the whole of gnome with it in Xubuntu (in 8.04 at least).
    >> Xubuntu now uses the gnome display manager, which might be one of the
    >> main reasons.

    > are you saying that Xubuntu 8.04 uses the Gnome display manager
    > out of the box, or only after installing nautilus?

    Yes, Xubuntu uses gdm in 8.04 by default.

    > I thought
    > Xubuntu uses xfce.

    gdm is the Gnome display manager, and XFCE is a group of packages which
    provide desktop facilities. XFCE can be run using xdm (the x display
    manager), kdm (the KDE one) or gdm, and possibly others.

    >> Shares show up as hands under the folder icon - a bit like
    >> a certain other OS's file mangler. To create a share, you right click on
    >> a folder and select "sharing options".

    > You mean in the Thunar file manager that comes with Xubuntu?

    No, Nautilus provides the front end instead of Thunar in the scenario
    I'm describing. There is an addon for Thunar, but I don't know how well
    it works with gvfs (the Gnome virtual filesystem, which is what Nautilus
    uses in Ubuntu and if you install it in Xubuntu). Anything you leave
    mounted will also be viewable from Thunar.

    > Are you sure that Gnome is better than KDE? Some people have
    > different opinions on this, and I have no clue. (:-)

    I like to put Xubuntu on low spec machines which would run Ubuntu
    slowly. The lowest spec machine I have is a PII 266 mmx with 96 MB Ram -
    it's slow, but still usable. I've got Nautilus on that machine for the
    networking.
    As to whether Gnome is "better" than KDE - I use both and they're both
    good. Try them and see which one you like.

    --
    JimP

  8. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    * Hans-Georg Michna wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 2008-08-24:

    [...]

    > are you saying that Xubuntu 8.04 uses the Gnome display manager
    > out of the box, or only after installing nautilus? I thought
    > Xubuntu uses xfce.

    xfce is a Desktop Environment, gdm [gnome display manager]
    is what you log into.

    [...]

    > Are you sure that Gnome is better than KDE? Some people have
    > different opinions on this, and I have no clue. (:-)

    Better is relative, if you are looking for a more windows like
    experience, many would argue that you should be using KDE but the 2 are
    getting more and more alike everyday. For now, KDE is much more bloated
    than gnome but you can use KDE apps under gnome by installing a minimal
    amount of KDE components, and vie versa.

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    War spares not the brave, but the cowardly.

  9. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote in

    >>Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Kubuntu is an option, why not
    >>Ubuntu?

    > Are you sure that Gnome is better than KDE? Some people have
    > different opinions on this, and I have no clue. (:-)

    'Better' is subjective, and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

    On this underpowered machine.....1 Ghz Athlon w/512M RAM, Xfce and GNome,
    IN MY PERCEPTION, seem to run about equally. KDE seems to run slightly
    slower, visually and perceivable by me, not by any performance tools.

    There was a short discussion about this a few weeks ago.

    After the first post I saw from you, I was going to ask why you chose to
    install Xbuntu instead of just plain Ubuntu w/GNome (or Kubuntu for that
    matter), as GNome and KDE are a bit more refined, but I did not.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the lean & mean approach. I even wrote a
    lightweight shell replacement (runs with an 8M RAM footprint as a
    complete shell replacement) for Windows because I thought Explorer was
    too 'heavy' as a shell and I have relegated it to being used as a file
    manager only. I am now actually in the process of porting it so I can use
    it in Linux as well (not necessarily meant as a light-weight replacement,
    but at this point, I find it really hard to use a PC if it's not using my
    shell).

    I installed the Xfce 'desktop' after getting Ubuntu up and running. Well,
    I added Xfce, KDE, and E17. I tried out each one for a couple days, and
    ended up just sticking with GNome.

    Regards,

    DanS

    PS- If anyone out there has any clue as to how I can intercept a middle-
    click in XWindows.......

  10. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    DanS wrote:
    > PS- If anyone out there has any clue as to how I can intercept a middle-
    > click in XWindows.......

    What do you mean 'intercept a middle-click'?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    johnny bobby bee wrote in
    newsCjsk.9602$%b7.7242@edtnps82:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> PS- If anyone out there has any clue as to how I can intercept a middle-
    >> click in XWindows.......

    > What do you mean 'intercept a middle-click'?

    (I didn't want to say it, but) In Windows I would set a global mouse hook,
    and my app would receive system mouse messages. I had the option to do
    nothing, or act on the message, and had the option to pass the message on
    down the chain, or not.

    Currently, middle-click results in a paste operation of a cut & paste, and
    I would like to not do that but instead, display my shell app, which is a
    Launcher menu, system tray, clock and taskswapper.

    Thanks,

    DanS

  12. Re: Binding a command to mouse key (was: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu)

    DanS wrote:

    > (I didn't want to say it, but) In Windows I would set a global mouse hook,
    > and my app would receive system mouse messages. I had the option to do
    > nothing, or act on the message, and had the option to pass the message on
    > down the chain, or not.

    > Currently, middle-click results in a paste operation of a cut & paste, and
    > I would like to not do that but instead, display my shell app, which is a
    > Launcher menu, system tray, clock and taskswapper.

    Have you tried xbindkeys?
    xbindkeys -k to get the key code.
    edit ~/.xbindkeysrc
    'xbindkeys &' to start the daemon.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  13. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    DanS illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote in
    > newsCjsk.9602$%b7.7242@edtnps82:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> PS- If anyone out there has any clue as to how I can intercept a middle-
    >>> click in XWindows.......

    >> What do you mean 'intercept a middle-click'?

    > (I didn't want to say it, but) In Windows I would set a global mouse hook,
    > and my app would receive system mouse messages. I had the option to do
    > nothing, or act on the message, and had the option to pass the message on
    > down the chain, or not.
    >
    > Currently, middle-click results in a paste operation of a cut & paste, and
    > I would like to not do that but instead, display my shell app, which is a
    > Launcher menu, system tray, clock and taskswapper.

    Sounds like you're looking for something like btnx

    "Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder
    a loved one because they're the devil." ~ Emo Philips

  14. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Moog wrote in

    >>> What do you mean 'intercept a middle-click'?

    >> (I didn't want to say it, but) In Windows I would set a global mouse
    >> hook, and my app would receive system mouse messages. I had the
    >> option to do nothing, or act on the message, and had the option to
    >> pass the message on down the chain, or not.
    >>
    >> Currently, middle-click results in a paste operation of a cut &
    >> paste, and I would like to not do that but instead, display my shell
    >> app, which is a Launcher menu, system tray, clock and taskswapper.

    > Sounds like you're looking for something like btnx

    Thanks Moog. That looks like it may be helpful. I'll examine a bit more
    deeply when I get home.

    Regards,

    DanS

  15. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On 24 Aug 2008 15:49:56 GMT, Moog wrote:

    >Hans, you can install the ubuntu-desktop environment whilst keeping
    >XFCE as your active manager.
    >
    >All you need to do is
    >$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    >This should bring down about 300mb of files, but all of these packages
    >will be available from XFCE.
    >
    >You will then only need to log into Gnome once. Set up your shares
    >using Nautilus and they shoudl "stick" for your XFCE sessions.

    Thanks, will look into that.

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  16. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:57:51 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    >Hans-Georg Michna wrote in

    >> Are you sure that Gnome is better than KDE? Some people have
    >> different opinions on this, and I have no clue. (:-)

    >'Better' is subjective, and everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    >
    >On this underpowered machine.....1 Ghz Athlon w/512M RAM, Xfce and GNome,
    >IN MY PERCEPTION, seem to run about equally. KDE seems to run slightly
    >slower, visually and perceivable by me, not by any performance tools.
    >
    >There was a short discussion about this a few weeks ago.
    >
    >After the first post I saw from you, I was going to ask why you chose to
    >install Xbuntu instead of just plain Ubuntu w/GNome (or Kubuntu for that
    >matter), as GNome and KDE are a bit more refined, but I did not.

    Jim, Sinner, DanS,

    thanks for the good advice! I chose Xubuntu for a few very weak
    reasons, as I knew very little about the differences. One hint
    was that I found several sources saying that Xubuntu runs better
    on older machines, and I got three old computers here, two of
    which have only 256 MB RAM.

    The other hint was that Asus apparently pre-installs Xubuntu on
    some of their EEE laptops. I hoped they knew what they were
    doing.

    But since the installation of Ubuntu seems to be fairly easy,
    I'll try Ubuntu instead of Xubuntu at least once to get this
    experience as well.

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  17. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:40:59 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > The other hint was that Asus apparently pre-installs Xubuntu on
    > some of their EEE laptops. I hoped they knew what they were
    > doing.

    Sure you weren't confusing it with Xandros?

    --
    Chris Game

  18. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:49:01 +0100, Chris Game wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:40:59 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >> The other hint was that Asus apparently pre-installs Xubuntu on
    >> some of their EEE laptops. I hoped they knew what they were
    >> doing.

    >Sure you weren't confusing it with Xandros?

    Sometimes I make mistakes. But I seem to remember that some
    computers, and I believe the Asus Eee was among them, are
    delivered with Ubuntu, and in this case particularly Xubuntu.

    Maybe it was a different computer, but that wouldn't matter
    much.

    Hans-Georg
    --
    No mail, please.

  19. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > Sometimes I make mistakes. But I seem to remember that some
    > computers, and I believe the Asus Eee was among them, are
    > delivered with Ubuntu, and in this case particularly Xubuntu.

    I have two Asus EEE machines - they come pre-installed with *Xandros* in a
    slightly altered form. They boot to a "big button" GUI which gives your
    basic application choices.

    C.

  20. Re: Easiest way to add Windows networking to Xubuntu

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:52:06 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > Sometimes I make mistakes. But I seem to remember that some
    > computers, and I believe the Asus Eee was among them, are
    > delivered with Ubuntu, and in this case particularly Xubuntu.

    No, the EeePCs with Linux use Xandros, a paid-for distro, and the
    users often install k/x/ubuntu instead - that is till they realise
    that the drivers are a pain to sort out and that Debian is the way
    to go.

    --
    Chris Game

    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

+ Reply to Thread