Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive. - Ubuntu ; Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a forced exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy. I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

  1. Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a forced
    exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy.

    I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk
    Mounter, it is not listed. I can't find reference to it anywhere.

    I know there's some setting I should be using, but I can't figure out
    where to start.

    I'm using the Wubi installer of Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop is included.

    Any help will be appreciated. I know I've asked this question before,
    but nothing has ever truly worked.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    * Jeffrey Needle wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 2008-08-21:
    > Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a forced
    > exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy.

    > I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk
    > Mounter, it is not listed. I can't find reference to it anywhere.

    What is Disk Mounter?

    > I know there's some setting I should be using, but I can't figure out
    > where to start.

    > I'm using the Wubi installer of Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop is included.

    > Any help will be appreciated. I know I've asked this question before,
    > but nothing has ever truly worked.

    Is there a disk in it? It wont mount without media. I didnt have to do
    anything to make it work, as soon as I put a disk in it mounts to the
    desktop.

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    BYTE editors are people who separate the wheat from the chaff, and then

  3. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    > Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a forced
    > exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy.
    >
    > I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk
    > Mounter, it is not listed. I can't find reference to it anywhere.
    >
    > I know there's some setting I should be using, but I can't figure out
    > where to start.
    >
    > I'm using the Wubi installer of Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop is included.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated. I know I've asked this question before,
    > but nothing has ever truly worked.

    Post the contents of /etc/fstab.

    For reference, this is what my base Hardy install fstab looks like:

    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sdb5
    UUID=9afc1144-55e5-491d-a418-a74a5d3db6a0 / ext3
    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=137b9667-6fd0-498d-ba5e-24ee21683c44 none swap sw
    0 0
    # /dev/sdb1
    UUID=eec01c8b-ea86-46e6-9c8b-106ab0a7851b none swap sw
    0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

    You might see how the /dev/scd* line in your fstab compares to mine. If
    there's a difference, go root and edit it to match:

    sudo gedit /etc/fstab

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  4. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a
    >> forced exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy.
    >>
    >> I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk
    >> Mounter, it is not listed. I can't find reference to it anywhere.
    >>
    >> I know there's some setting I should be using, but I can't figure out
    >> where to start.
    >>
    >> I'm using the Wubi installer of Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop is included.
    >>
    >> Any help will be appreciated. I know I've asked this question before,
    >> but nothing has ever truly worked.

    > Post the contents of /etc/fstab.

    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext3 loop,errors=remount-
    ro 0 1
    /host/ubuntu/disks/boot /boot none bind 0 0
    /host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw
    0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0
    0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

    For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and then
    "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing the
    drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that there's no
    media in the device. I've tried three or four different CD's and nothing
    will work.

    > For reference, this is what my base Hardy install fstab looks like:
    >
    > # /etc/fstab: static file system information. #
    > #
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 #
    > /dev/sdb5
    > UUID=9afc1144-55e5-491d-a418-a74a5d3db6a0 / ext3
    > relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    > # /dev/sda2
    > UUID=137b9667-6fd0-498d-ba5e-24ee21683c44 none swap sw
    > 0 0
    > # /dev/sdb1
    > UUID=eec01c8b-ea86-46e6-9c8b-106ab0a7851b none swap sw
    > 0 0
    > /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0
    > 0 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0
    > 0 /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0
    > 0
    >
    > You might see how the /dev/scd* line in your fstab compares to mine. If
    > there's a difference, go root and edit it to match:
    >
    > sudo gedit /etc/fstab

    It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem, perhaps,
    with the CD's that I'm testing?

    Thanks!

  5. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > * Jeffrey Needle wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu on 2008-08-21:
    >> Well, I've finally gotten around to getting back to Linux after a
    >> forced exile for more than a month. An issue still driving me crazy.

    >> I still can't get Linux to see my CD R/W drive. When I invoke Disk
    >> Mounter, it is not listed. I can't find reference to it anywhere.

    > What is Disk Mounter?

    It is listed when I right-click on the bottom toolbar. It displays my
    devices as icons on the taskbar. My floppy, hard drive, and USB drive
    all list just fine. The CD RW drive, however, does not.

    >> I know there's some setting I should be using, but I can't figure out
    >> where to start.

    >> I'm using the Wubi installer of Ubuntu. The Gnome desktop is included.

    >> Any help will be appreciated. I know I've asked this question before,
    >> but nothing has ever truly worked.

    > Is there a disk in it? It wont mount without media. I didnt have to do
    > anything to make it work, as soon as I put a disk in it mounts to the
    > desktop.

    Yes, I've tried three or four different disks. Nothing will cause the
    drive to mount.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    > device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem, perhaps,
    > with the CD's that I'm testing?

    I dunno. My WAG is there might be something different about a Wubi
    install and how it handles mounting of optical drive.

    You might try mounting the drive manually, then seeing what happens:

    sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  7. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    * Jeffrey Needle peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What is Disk Mounter?

    > It is listed when I right-click on the bottom toolbar. It displays my
    > devices as icons on the taskbar. My floppy, hard drive, and USB drive
    > all list just fine. The CD RW drive, however, does not.
    >
    >> Is there a disk in it? It wont mount without media. I didnt have to do
    >> anything to make it work, as soon as I put a disk in it mounts to the
    >> desktop.

    > Yes, I've tried three or four different disks. Nothing will cause the
    > drive to mount.

    Is that in a VMware virtual machine?

    --
    A narcissist is someone better looking than you are.
    -- Gore Vidal

  8. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    * Jeffrey Needle peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    > device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem, perhaps,
    > with the CD's that I'm testing?

    I'm assuming you wait for the drive to rev up?

    --
    Dear Emily:
    I'm having a serious disagreement with somebody on the net. I

  9. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 03:10:50 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    > device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem, perhaps,
    > with the CD's that I'm testing?

    Are they *audio* CD's? If so, they won't mount.

    Try with a data CD that is known to work in another computer.

  10. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and then
    > "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing the
    > drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that there's no
    > media in the device. I've tried three or four different CD's and nothing
    > will work.

    Please insert a CD in the drive, open a terminal window and type at
    the command line

    hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt

    (just one long line) and then post the content of /tmp/cdrom.txt

    The first part (hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string
    cdrom) asks HAL (the Hardware Abstraction Layer) to list all cdrom
    drives it knows about on your computer.

    The second part (| xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt) takes that
    list, asks HAL for what it knows about that drives and saves the
    result in the file /tmp/cdrom.txt

    > It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    > device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem, perhaps,
    > with the CD's that I'm testing?

    What kind of CDs are these? It doesn't work with Audio CDs.

    Florian

  11. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > * Jeffrey Needle peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    >> device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem,
    >> perhaps, with the CD's that I'm testing?

    > I'm assuming you wait for the drive to rev up?

    Indeed. It's generally a few hours into the day, with the disk in the
    drive, that I try to use it.

  12. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and
    >> then "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing
    >> the drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that
    >> there's no media in the device. I've tried three or four different
    >> CD's and nothing will work.

    > Please insert a CD in the drive, open a terminal window and type at the
    > command line
    >
    > hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string cdrom |xargs -n1
    > lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt
    >
    > (just one long line) and then post the content of /tmp/cdrom.txt

    Got stopped in my tracks:

    jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt
    bash: /tm/cdrom.txt: No such file or directory

    > What kind of CDs are these? It doesn't work with Audio CDs.

    All are Windows Media files or other movie-type files.

    > Florian

    Thanks.

  13. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    >> device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem,
    >> perhaps, with the CD's that I'm testing?

    > I dunno. My WAG is there might be something different about a Wubi
    > install and how it handles mounting of optical drive.
    >
    > You might try mounting the drive manually, then seeing what happens:
    >
    > sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0

    Here's the output:

    jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
    [sudo] password for jeff:
    mount: No medium found

    There is certainly a disk in the drive.

  14. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 03:10:50 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    >> device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem,
    >> perhaps, with the CD's that I'm testing?

    > Are they *audio* CD's? If so, they won't mount.
    >
    > Try with a data CD that is known to work in another computer.

    I've tried about four CD's, none of them audio CD's. None of them will
    mount.

  15. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > * Jeffrey Needle peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> What is Disk Mounter?

    >> It is listed when I right-click on the bottom toolbar. It displays my
    >> devices as icons on the taskbar. My floppy, hard drive, and USB drive
    >> all list just fine. The CD RW drive, however, does not.
    >>
    >>> Is there a disk in it? It wont mount without media. I didnt have to do
    >>> anything to make it work, as soon as I put a disk in it mounts to the
    >>> desktop.

    >> Yes, I've tried three or four different disks. Nothing will cause the
    >> drive to mount.

    > Is that in a VMware virtual machine?

    I don't think so -- I don't know what a VMware virtual machine is. Could
    Wubi be doing something along these lines?

  16. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:57:33 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > Got stopped in my tracks:
    >
    > jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    > string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt: No
    > such file or directory

    you need a pee

  17. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    * Jeffrey Needle peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>
    >>> It looks as if my entries are identical to yours. If so, why isn't the
    >>> device listed when I invoke the Disk Mounter? Is it a problem,
    >>> perhaps, with the CD's that I'm testing?

    >> I dunno. My WAG is there might be something different about a Wubi
    >> install and how it handles mounting of optical drive.
    >>
    >> You might try mounting the drive manually, then seeing what happens:
    >>
    >> sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0

    > Here's the output:
    >
    > jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
    > [sudo] password for jeff:
    > mount: No medium found
    >
    > There is certainly a disk in the drive.

    Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    disk-createor software the wrong settings.

    Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not ISO-9660
    format. In that case, you need to do, as root:

    $ modprobe udf

    and make sure that command succeeds. Then make sure that the /etc/fstab
    entry for the CD-ROM has 'udf' in it:

    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    ^^^

    If you can see the CD after that, then add udf to the list of
    non-auto-detected modules in the file /etc/modules.

    You don't see UDF-formated CDs much, but I've encountered a few lately.

    --
    What orators lack in depth they make up in length.

  18. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > All are Windows Media files or other movie-type files.

    Do you have all the add-on proprietary codecs installed?:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  19. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and
    >>> then "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing
    >>> the drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that
    >>> there's no media in the device. I've tried three or four different
    >>> CD's and nothing will work.

    >> Please insert a CD in the drive, open a terminal window and type at the
    >> command line
    >>
    >> hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string cdrom |xargs -n1
    >> lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt
    >>
    >> (just one long line) and then post the content of /tmp/cdrom.txt
    >>

    > Got stopped in my tracks:
    >
    > jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    > string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt
    > bash: /tm/cdrom.txt: No such file or directory

    You forgot the "p" in /tmp/cdrom.txt

    >> What kind of CDs are these? It doesn't work with Audio CDs.
    >>

    > All are Windows Media files or other movie-type files.

    Does it work with other kinds of data CDs, like e.g. the Ubuntu
    install CD?

    Florian

  20. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On 2008-08-21, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and then
    > "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing the
    > drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that there's no
    > media in the device. I've tried three or four different CD's and nothing
    > will work.

    These disks you are inserting, do they have data on them, or are they
    blank?

    And "Disk Mounter" means nothing to me. Never heard of it...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast