Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive. - Ubuntu ; > On 2008-08-21, Jeffrey Needle wrote: >> >> For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and >> then "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing >> the drive. When I try to mount ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

  1. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On 2008-08-21, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>
    >> For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and
    >> then "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing
    >> the drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that
    >> there's no media in the device. I've tried three or four different
    >> CD's and nothing will work.

    > These disks you are inserting, do they have data on them, or are they
    > blank?
    >
    > And "Disk Mounter" means nothing to me. Never heard of it...

    The disks are not blank. They have lots of stuff on them.

    Disk Mounter is one of those programs I get to add to the taskbar when I
    right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and choose "Add to
    Panel."

  2. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    >>> hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string cdrom |xargs
    >>> -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt
    >>>
    >>> (just one long line) and then post the content of /tmp/cdrom.txt
    >>>

    >> Got stopped in my tracks:
    >>
    >> jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    >> string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt:
    >> No such file or directory

    > You forgot the "p" in /tmp/cdrom.txt

    Oops. Did a cut and paste from the original (see above) -- it doesn't
    have the "p" either.

    Did it -- the file /tmp/cdrom.txt exists but is empty.

    > Does it work with other kinds of data CDs, like e.g. the Ubuntu install
    > CD?

    I don't have one. I downloaded the Wubi install.

    > Florian

  3. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>
    >> All are Windows Media files or other movie-type files.

    > Do you have all the add-on proprietary codecs installed?:
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

    Yes.

  4. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:57:33 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> Got stopped in my tracks:
    >>
    >> jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    >> string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt:
    >> No such file or directory
    >>

    > you need a pee

    Hoop! Also true...if you'll excuse me...

  5. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    > special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    > disk-createor software the wrong settings.

    Nope, these were created by someone else.

    > Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not ISO-9660
    > format. In that case, you need to do, as root:
    >
    > $ modprobe udf

    FATAL: Error inserting udf (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/
    udf.ko): Operation not permitted

  6. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On 22/08/08 10:45, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    >> special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    >> disk-createor software the wrong settings.
    >>

    > Nope, these were created by someone else.
    >

    >> Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not ISO-9660
    >> format. In that case, you need to do, as root:
    >>
    >> $ modprobe udf
    >>

    > FATAL: Error inserting udf (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/
    > udf.ko): Operation not permitted

    sudo modprobe udf

  7. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On 2008-08-22, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-21, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>>
    >>> For the record, while looking around for hints. Under "Places," and
    >>> then "Computer," I find the device listed. So Linux is indeed seeing
    >>> the drive. When I try to mount it, though, I get a message that
    >>> there's no media in the device. I've tried three or four different
    >>> CD's and nothing will work.

    >> These disks you are inserting, do they have data on them, or are they
    >> blank?
    >>
    >> And "Disk Mounter" means nothing to me. Never heard of it...

    > The disks are not blank. They have lots of stuff on them.
    >
    > Disk Mounter is one of those programs I get to add to the taskbar when I
    > right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and choose "Add to
    > Panel."

    Just for ****s and grins, I installed Disk-Mounter. It is a tool for
    mounting block devices. It isn't for CD drives.

    Your CD-DVD-RW should auto mount disks when you put them in. The
    mounted files will be located at /media/cdrom, or something similar.
    Depending on your settings, it may also put an icon on your desktop.
    You should not need to manually mount the cd drive.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On 2008-08-22, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    >> special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    >> disk-createor software the wrong settings.
    >>

    > Nope, these were created by someone else.
    >

    >> Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not ISO-9660
    >> format. In that case, you need to do, as root:
    >>
    >> $ modprobe udf
    >>

    > FATAL: Error inserting udf (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/
    > udf.ko): Operation not permitted

    He said "as root"

    Try $ sudo modprobe udf

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  9. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    >>> These disks you are inserting, do they have data on them, or are they
    >>> blank?
    >>>
    >>> And "Disk Mounter" means nothing to me. Never heard of it...

    >> The disks are not blank. They have lots of stuff on them.
    >>
    >> Disk Mounter is one of those programs I get to add to the taskbar when
    >> I right-click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and choose
    >> "Add to Panel."

    > Just for ****s and grins, I installed Disk-Mounter. It is a tool for
    > mounting block devices. It isn't for CD drives.
    >
    > Your CD-DVD-RW should auto mount disks when you put them in. The
    > mounted files will be located at /media/cdrom, or something similar.
    > Depending on your settings, it may also put an icon on your desktop. You
    > should not need to manually mount the cd drive.

    No icon on the desktop, and the folder /media/cdrom exists, but it is
    empty.

    And thanks for the update on Disk Mounter.

  10. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On 22/08/08 10:45, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>> Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    >>> special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    >>> disk-createor software the wrong settings.
    >>>

    >> Nope, these were created by someone else.
    >>

    >>> Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not
    >>> ISO-9660 format. In that case, you need to do, as root:
    >>>
    >>> $ modprobe udf
    >>>

    >> FATAL: Error inserting udf
    >> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/ udf.ko): Operation not
    >> permitted
    >>

    > sudo modprobe udf

    No error message when I enter the above, but nothing else, either.

  11. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On 2008-08-22, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>> Did you create these CDs yourself? That can be an issue if you used
    >>> special vendor-supplied software to create these CDs, or told your
    >>> disk-createor software the wrong settings.
    >>>

    >> Nope, these were created by someone else.
    >>

    >>> Another potential issue is that they may be in UDF format, not
    >>> ISO-9660 format. In that case, you need to do, as root:
    >>>
    >>> $ modprobe udf
    >>>

    >> FATAL: Error inserting udf
    >> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/ udf.ko): Operation not
    >> permitted
    >>

    > He said "as root"
    >
    > Try $ sudo modprobe udf

    No error, but nothing else, either. Just another prompt.

  12. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On 2008-08-22, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >>> Nope, these were created by someone else.

    >>> FATAL: Error inserting udf
    >>> (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/fs/udf/ udf.ko): Operation not
    >>> permitted
    >>>

    >> He said "as root"
    >>
    >> Try $ sudo modprobe udf

    > No error, but nothing else, either. Just another prompt.

    It wouldn't give you any messages unless there was an error. It just
    loaded the module for udf support.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  13. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:57:33 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    > Got stopped in my tracks:
    >
    > jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    > string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt: No
    > such file or directory

    Do you have a folder "/tm" If not then your command above should have "/
    tmp"

    sf

  14. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:57:33 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >> Got stopped in my tracks:
    >>
    >> jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    >> string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt:
    >> No such file or directory

    > Do you have a folder "/tm" If not then your command above should have
    > "/ tmp"
    >
    > sf

    Yes, I've fixed that. Still no useful information.

  15. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:49:27 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >> Try $ sudo modprobe udf

    > No error, but nothing else, either. Just another prompt.

    That's what is supposed to happen.

    Try mounting the CD now...

  16. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:49:27 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >
    >>> Try $ sudo modprobe udf

    >> No error, but nothing else, either. Just another prompt.

    > That's what is supposed to happen.
    >
    > Try mounting the CD now...

    Nope, still tells me no media in the drive.

  17. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:05:59 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >>> No error, but nothing else, either. Just another prompt.

    >> That's what is supposed to happen.
    >> Try mounting the CD now...

    > Nope, still tells me no media in the drive.

    Have you tried this with a "factory" data CD? Not something which was
    burned at home, especially the UDF crap. Try a known good factory CD (not
    audio) and see what happens.

  18. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    >>> That's what is supposed to happen.
    >>> Try mounting the CD now...

    >> Nope, still tells me no media in the drive.

    > Have you tried this with a "factory" data CD? Not something which was
    > burned at home, especially the UDF crap. Try a known good factory CD
    > (not audio) and see what happens.

    They're all factory CDs.

  19. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:38:09 +0000, Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >> Have you tried this with a "factory" data CD? Not something which was
    >> burned at home, especially the UDF crap. Try a known good factory CD
    >> (not audio) and see what happens.

    > They're all factory CDs.

    Well then, the only possible explanation left is that your drive is ****ed
    up. Put a different drive in and prove it.

  20. Re: Getting Linux to see my CD-RW drive.

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:

    >>> Got stopped in my tracks:
    >>>
    >>> jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --
    >>> string cdrom |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tm/cdrom.txt bash: /tm/cdrom.txt:
    >>> No such file or directory

    >> You forgot the "p" in /tmp/cdrom.txt
    >>

    > Oops. Did a cut and paste from the original (see above) -- it doesn't
    > have the "p" either.
    >
    > Did it -- the file /tmp/cdrom.txt exists but is empty.

    Does
    hal-find-by-property --key storage.drive_type --string cdrom
    return something? If not that means that HAL thinks you don't have a
    CDROM device.

    What does
    hal-find-by-property --key info.category --string storage |xargs -n1 lshal -u > /tmp/storage.txt
    write to /tmp/storage.txt? It should list informations about all
    storage devices you have.

    >> Does it work with other kinds of data CDs, like e.g. the Ubuntu install
    >> CD?
    >>

    > I don't have one. I downloaded the Wubi install.

    An other data CD, maybe a hardware driver CD?

    Florian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast