Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 71 of 71

  1. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    On 2008-08-16, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > OK I've got to clean that out, but I just wonder how big a data-base
    > for all the *hardware* existing would be.

    I agree with all of your other points, but this one is moot. The
    database would not have to be installed on the local machine. You
    could easily make it web-based, with several mirrors. Not unlike the
    repos.

    And yeah, clean that directory! ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    On 2008-08-17, Hobbes wrote:

    > Really ?
    >
    > Not what I've seen on my PC.
    > And it's a Dell ... pretty standard.
    >
    > None of your dozens of PC's had an X-Fi sound card ?

    Of course not. Only an idiot would buy a sound card that doesn't have
    proper support for the OS they want to use it on. The beta drivers
    are a start, but I won't be getting an X-Fi until Creative releases a
    full-blown linux driver that works.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    Joe wrote:

    > The "community" doesn't decide anything. If you have an idea that you
    > think will be of benefit, you are free to do it. Then you create a
    > web site for it, or a project page at something like sourceforge. Now
    > people can download your work and use it, and if enough people
    > absolutely love it, and it achieves your goal, it will likely end up
    > as a part of most distributions.

    For community-based distributions like Debian or Ubuntu you can just
    become the maintainer of your software to get it in.

    Florian

  4. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    Bob wrote:

    >> Most of his patches didn't work very well. He had a few good
    >> ideas, but had an inflated sense of his own importance.
    >>
    >> C.

    > Wouldn't that also be true of most, if not all, Linux developers?

    Not in /my/ instance! 8-)

    C.

  5. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    Florian Diesch wrote:

    >Yes, that's a real problem. It's just the same as with cars: Average
    >people will never buy cars as long as there are so many models to
    >choose from. Everything would be better if there's just one car
    >model to buy, maybe in 2 different colors. *Then* people woulds really
    >start to use cars.

    Really bad comparison. All cars have these things in common: You put
    gas in the tank (with a few exceptions); you turn the key in the
    ignition, then push the gas pedal, it goes; you push the break, it
    stops; you turn the steering wheel, the car turns.

    But most importantly, when you buy a car, it usually comes with an
    engine. And you don't have to tinker with the engine to get it to
    work right with your car. Changing the gas pedal, the steering wheel,
    the gear shift, the review mirror, etc, won't cause the car to fail to
    work.

  6. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    * Todd wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > FG wrote:
    >
    >>> But what Linux users have forgotten is that Linux itself is its worst
    >>> enemy. A thousand versions and none can agree with each other.

    > Florian Diesch wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, that's a real problem. It's just the same as with cars: Average
    >>people will never buy cars as long as there are so many models to
    >>choose from. Everything would be better if there's just one car
    >>model to buy, maybe in 2 different colors. *Then* people woulds really
    >>start to use cars.

    > Really bad comparison. All cars have these things in common: You put
    > gas in the tank (with a few exceptions);

    First sentence and you already admit there are differences.

    > you turn the key in the
    > ignition,

    I dont use a key in my car.

    > then push the gas pedal, it goes; you push the break, it
    > stops; you turn the steering wheel, the car turns.
    >
    > But most importantly, when you buy a car, it usually comes with an
    > engine.

    IE, PROPRIATARY COMPUTER HARDWARE not software.

    > And you don't have to tinker with the engine to get it to
    > work right with your car.

    That's because it came with the car, the company you bought it from made
    sure all the parts work together and tested them to make sure of it.

    > Changing the gas pedal, the steering wheel,
    > the gear shift, the review mirror, etc, won't cause the car to fail to
    > work.

    Really bad comparison, you are comparing hardware to software.

    --
    David

  7. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    SINNER wrote:

    >IE, PROPRIATARY COMPUTER HARDWARE not software.

    Me:
    >> And you don't have to tinker with the engine to get it to
    >> work right with your car.

    Sinner:
    >That's because it came with the car, the company you bought it from made
    >sure all the parts work together and tested them to make sure of it.

    Me:
    >> Changing the gas pedal, the steering wheel,
    >> the gear shift, the review mirror, etc, won't cause the car to fail to
    >> work.

    Sinner:
    >Really bad comparison, you are comparing hardware to software.

    Sinner, thank you for helping me make my point. Florian made the
    comparison between cars and computers. I'm just showing that the
    comparison doesn't stand up. While modern cars do have software, you
    can take it out and the car will do what it's supposed to do.

    You take the software out of a computer and you get a thousand dollar
    and up paperweight. To turn your car into a paperweight, you have to
    take out the engine. Therefore, the engine of a car is comparable to
    the os of a computer.

  8. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:05:56 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Therefore, the engine of a car is comparable to the os of a
    > computer.

    The engine is the cpu, the os is the petrol and the application software
    is the driving controls.

    --

  9. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    > The engine is the cpu, the os is the petrol and the application software
    > is the driving controls.

    If petrol is the OS for a car, what is electricity for a computer?

  10. Re: What Linux needs "Even Ubuntu"

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 10:22:19 +0000, Lophraoig wrote:

    >> The engine is the cpu, the os is the petrol and the application software
    >> is the driving controls.

    > If petrol is the OS for a car, what is electricity for a computer?

    Air.

    --

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    >The engine is the cpu, the os is the petrol and the application software
    >is the driving controls.

    Except that you can't turn your car into an airplane with the
    controls. Your pc can be a car or an airplane, or a submarine, or a
    yacht. Unfornutely, it only takes you to your destination in your
    imagination. Your car takes you whereever you can get to in it.

    All that is unimportant, because I was just trying to prove that the
    other poster's comparison between a car and a computer doesn't work.
    I barely even remember what this conversation is about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4