Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com wrote: > Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu: > > Optimized the hard drive, > made sure I had enough room, > > put in the CD: > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

  1. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com wrote:

    > Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >
    > Optimized the hard drive,
    > made sure I had enough room,
    >
    > put in the CD:
    >
    > said " yes" to install
    >
    > - And Here I am !
    >
    > Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >
    > I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >
    > & good luck to yu !

    Until your accountant demands Quicken files.
    Until you decide to get into online stock trading.
    Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.
    Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.
    Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.
    Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.
    Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.
    Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.
    Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.
    Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.
    Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills
    Until.......

    Would you like me to continue?

    Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...

    Sure....
    Many more like you have said the same thing.
    A week later they are back to Windows or Mac.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Optimized the hard drive,
    >> made sure I had enough room,
    >>
    >> put in the CD:
    >>
    >> said " yes" to install
    >>
    >> - And Here I am !
    >>
    >> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>
    >> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>
    >> & good luck to yu !

    > Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    Does he want my business?

    > Until you decide to get\ into online stock trading.

    Can't be done with Linux? You sure?

    > Until your kid comes home from school with
    > programs you can't run.

    Time to complain to the school board.

    > Until your job hands you some CBT trainining
    > DVD's that you can't run.

    I guess they'll have to buy a Windows machine... or at least a Windows
    license.

    > Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    USA Channel.

    > Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    I don't live in the UK, so I don't deal with the player.

    > Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    Garmin Linux based unit?

    > Until you decide to purchase something from
    > the iTunes store.

    Amazon.

    > Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various
    > PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.

    Haven't tried my Palm TX, which is also my media player. My wireless
    router is up to date, finally.

    > Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.

    There are real games that run on Liux systems, other that Quake.

    > Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone
    > bills Until.......
    >
    > Would you like me to continue?
    >
    > Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >
    > Sure....
    > Many more like you have said the same thing. A week later they are back
    > to Windows or Mac.

    Oh, well.... too bad for them.

    But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems and
    OSS, do you?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:25:01 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Optimized the hard drive,
    >>> made sure I had enough room,
    >>>
    >>> put in the CD:
    >>>
    >>> said " yes" to install
    >>>
    >>> - And Here I am !
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>>
    >>> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>>
    >>> & good luck to yu !

    >> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    > Does he want my business?
    >
    >> Until you decide to get\ into online stock trading.

    > Can't be done with Linux? You sure?
    >

    >> Until your kid comes home from school with
    >> programs you can't run.

    > Time to complain to the school board.
    >
    >> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining
    >> DVD's that you can't run.

    > I guess they'll have to buy a Windows machine... or at least a Windows
    > license.
    >
    >> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    > USA Channel.
    >
    >> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    > I don't live in the UK, so I don't deal with the player.
    >
    >> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    > Garmin Linux based unit?
    >
    >> Until you decide to purchase something from
    >> the iTunes store.

    > Amazon.
    >
    >> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various
    >> PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.

    > Haven't tried my Palm TX, which is also my media player. My wireless
    > router is up to date, finally.
    >
    >> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.

    > There are real games that run on Liux systems, other that Quake.
    >
    >> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone
    >> bills Until.......
    >>
    >> Would you like me to continue?
    >>
    >> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>
    >> Sure....
    >> Many more like you have said the same thing. A week later they are back
    >> to Windows or Mac.

    > Oh, well.... too bad for them.

    No.
    Too bad for the Linux zealot.
    His loss.

    > But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems and
    > OSS, do you?

    Sure i do.
    It's free..........

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKSJUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Optimized the hard drive,
    >> made sure I had enough room,
    >>
    >> put in the CD:
    >>
    >> said " yes" to install
    >>
    >> - And Here I am !
    >>
    >> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>
    >> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>
    >> & good luck to yu !

    > Until your accountant demands Quicken files.
    > Until you decide to get into online stock trading.
    > Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.
    > Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.
    > Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.
    > Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.
    > Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.
    > Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.
    > Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.
    > Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.
    > Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills
    > Until.......
    >
    > Would you like me to continue?
    >
    > Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >
    > Sure....
    > Many more like you have said the same thing.
    > A week later they are back to Windows or Mac.

  5. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:33:16 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:25:01 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    >> Does he want my business?
    >>
    >>> Until you decide to get\ into online stock trading.

    >> Can't be done with Linux? You sure?
    >>

    >>> Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.

    >> Time to complain to the school board.
    >>
    >>> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.

    >> I guess they'll have to buy a Windows machine... or at least a Windows
    >> license.
    >>
    >>> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    >> USA Channel.
    >>
    >>> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    >> I don't live in the UK, so I don't deal with the player.
    >>
    >>> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    >> Garmin Linux based unit?
    >>
    >>> Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.

    >> Amazon.
    >>
    >>> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod
    >>> devices.

    >> Haven't tried my Palm TX, which is also my media player. My wireless
    >> router is up to date, finally.
    >>
    >>> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.

    >> There are real games that run on Liux systems, other that Quake.
    >>
    >>> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills Until.......
    >>>
    >>> Would you like me to continue?
    >>>
    >>> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>>
    >>> Sure....
    >>> Many more like you have said the same thing. A week later they are
    >>> back to Windows or Mac.

    >> Oh, well.... too bad for them.

    > No.

    Yes.

    > Too bad for the Linux zealot.
    > His loss.

    Not if the user is happy with his decision.

    >> But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems
    >> and OSS, do you?

    > Sure i do.
    > It's free..........

    You use that as an insult whenever you can.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: OPEN SOURCE LINUX FEDORA ALSO WORKS GREAT 4 ME AS WELL, ALSOJUST FYI. USE FEDORA IF YOU DON'T LIKE UBUNTU.

    kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Optimized the hard drive,
    >>> made sure I had enough room,
    >>>
    >>> put in the CD:
    >>>
    >>> said " yes" to install
    >>>
    >>> - And Here I am !
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>>
    >>> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>>
    >>> & good luck to yu !

    >> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.
    >> Until you decide to get into online stock trading.
    >> Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.
    >> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.
    >> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.
    >> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.
    >> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.
    >> Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.
    >> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod
    >> devices.
    >> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.
    >> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills
    >> Until.......
    >>
    >> Would you like me to continue?
    >>
    >> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>
    >> Sure....
    >> Many more like you have said the same thing.
    >> A week later they are back to Windows or Mac.

  7. Re: THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKS JUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    Can it do what I posted below????

    Nope....

    And you have no reply which is why you changed the subject and didn't add
    one letter.

    You really aren't a very good troll....

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:44:21 -0500, kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Optimized the hard drive,
    >>> made sure I had enough room,
    >>>
    >>> put in the CD:
    >>>
    >>> said " yes" to install
    >>>
    >>> - And Here I am !
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>>
    >>> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>>
    >>> & good luck to yu !

    >> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.
    >> Until you decide to get into online stock trading.
    >> Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.
    >> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.
    >> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.
    >> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.
    >> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.
    >> Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.
    >> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.
    >> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.
    >> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills
    >> Until.......
    >>
    >> Would you like me to continue?
    >>
    >> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>
    >> Sure....
    >> Many more like you have said the same thing.
    >> A week later they are back to Windows or Mac.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:49:56 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:33:16 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Does he want my business?

    >>> Can't be done with Linux? You sure?

    >>> Time to complain to the school board.

    >>> I guess they'll have to buy a Windows machine... or at least a Windows
    >>> license.

    >>> USA Channel.

    >>> I don't live in the UK, so I don't deal with the player.

    >>> Garmin Linux based unit?

    >>> Amazon.

    >>> Haven't tried my Palm TX, which is also my media player. My wireless
    >>> router is up to date, finally.

    >>> There are real games that run on Liux systems, other that Quake.

    >>> Oh, well.... too bad for them.

    >> No.

    > Yes.
    >
    >> Too bad for the Linux zealot.
    >> His loss.

    > Not if the user is happy with his decision.
    >

    >>> But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems
    >>> and OSS, do you?

    >> Sure i do.
    >> It's free..........

    > You use that as an insult whenever you can.

    It's only an insult if you are stupid enough to pay for it....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: OPEN SOURCE LINUX FEDORA ALSO WORKS GREAT 4 ME AS WELL, ALSO JUST FYI. USE FEDORA IF YOU DON'T LIKE UBUNTU.

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:57:14 -0500, kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:

    > kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.
    >>> Until you decide to get into online stock trading.
    >>> Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.
    >>> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.
    >>> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.
    >>> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.
    >>> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.
    >>> Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.
    >>> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod
    >>> devices.
    >>> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.
    >>> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills
    >>> Until.......
    >>>
    >>> Would you like me to continue?
    >>>
    >>> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>>
    >>> Sure....
    >>> Many more like you have said the same thing.
    >>> A week later they are back to Windows or Mac.

    Just saw your rather limited posting history..
    Oh well, i got sucked in by a troll.
    Bye....

    P.S you are not very good at nymshifting either...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:03:20 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:49:56 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> No.

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Too bad for the Linux zealot.
    >>> His loss.

    >> Not if the user is happy with his decision.

    >>> Sure i do.
    >>> It's free..........

    >> You use that as an insult whenever you can.

    > It's only an insult if you are stupid enough to pay for it....

    I paid for many distros. I paid for Applixware. And, again, why do you
    get so much enjoyment insulting people for using software they have
    consciously decided to use? Why do you enjoy telling people that the
    software that works for them, doesn't work for them?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKSJUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Can it do what I posted below????
    >
    > Nope....
    >
    > And you have no reply which is why you changed the subject and didn't add
    > one letter.
    >
    > You really aren't a very good troll....

    No one responds to Kev Patsy in cell 815 at the asylum or its
    impersonator that plagues the MSnews forum.

  12. Re: OPEN SOURCE LINUX FEDORA ALSO WORKS GREAT 4 ME AS WELL, ALSOJUST FYI. USE FEDORA IF YOU DON'T LIKE UBUNTU.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:57:14 -0500, kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:
    >
    >> kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:

    > Just saw your rather limited posting history..
    > Oh well, i got sucked in by a troll.
    > Bye....
    >
    > P.S you are not very good at nymshifting either...

    NOT TRUE, I AM VERY ACTIVE IN MICROSOFT.PUBLIC.WINDOWS.VISTA.GENERAL ON
    THE MSNEWS.MICROSOFT.COM NEWS SERVER (MICROSOFT DELETES MY POSTS,
    HOWEVER), JUST FYI.

  13. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:17:50 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:03:20 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Yes.

    >>> Not if the user is happy with his decision.

    >>> You use that as an insult whenever you can.

    >> It's only an insult if you are stupid enough to pay for it....

    > I paid for many distros. I paid for Applixware. And, again, why do you
    > get so much enjoyment insulting people for using software they have
    > consciously decided to use? Why do you enjoy telling people that the
    > software that works for them, doesn't work for them?

    I donated to texstar and paid for Applix as well...

    The key is the word *works* and how it applies to COLA....

    Example: My video card just works with Linux.
    Real answer: I can't use the remote control, S-Video doesn't work, I can't
    use the highest resolutions etc...But it works...

    FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars.
    They have been caught a zillion times already so I don't trust them until
    they prove otherwise.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKS JUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:18:07 -0400, Little Mad Dog wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Can it do what I posted below????
    >>
    >> Nope....
    >>
    >> And you have no reply which is why you changed the subject and didn't add
    >> one letter.
    >>
    >> You really aren't a very good troll....
    >>

    > No one responds to Kev Patsy in cell 815 at the asylum or its
    > impersonator that plagues the MSnews forum.

    Thanks for the tip...
    I got sucked in...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    <9fOdnfXGw93wez3VnZ2dnUVZ_hydnZ2d@supernews.com>:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>>
    >>> Optimized the hard drive,
    >>> made sure I had enough room,
    >>>
    >>> put in the CD:
    >>>
    >>> said " yes" to install
    >>>
    >>> - And Here I am !
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>>
    >>> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>>
    >>> & good luck to yu !

    >> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    > Does he want my business?

    Google to the rescue:

    http://www.linux.com/feature/49400

    Apparently all of them can handle reading .QIF format. Writing,
    I can't tell.

    >> Until you decide to get\ into online stock trading.

    > Can't be done with Linux? You sure?

    Less clear here.
    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...968999,00.html

    shows an interesting conversion story, which chronicles
    a business's falling out of favor of VA Linux, and using
    Penguin Computing instead. Not sure if that includes
    an online user-visible trading client, though.

    >> Until your kid comes home from school with
    >> programs you can't run.

    > Time to complain to the school board.

    Or rejoice, if some of those programs are spyware or viruses. ;-)

    >> Until your job hands you some CBT trainining
    >> DVD's that you can't run.

    > I guess they'll have to buy a Windows machine... or at least a Windows
    > license.
    >
    >> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    > USA Channel.

    Or one of the methods in

    http://newteevee.com/2008/08/05/pira...-games-online/

    These are presumably of varying quality -- the outside
    proxy I suspect is a bit overloaded, for example.

    Personally, I'm not sure how much I care... ;-)

    >> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    > I don't live in the UK, so I don't deal with the player.

    I like to watch the occasional video from news.bbc.co.uk.
    Thus far, I've had no major issues, unlike the previous
    version, which for reasons known only to the Supreme Deity
    of Computing liked to pop up 3 windows of the same video,
    if one's lucky.

    It is now using a player embedded in Flash. One of
    the more interesting (and most popular) is a story on
    steam trains. Another one is regarding Russian's advance
    into South Ossettia/west Georgia (depressing, that; the
    Americans think Russia is being nasty, and the Russians
    want to protect the Ossetians from the nasty Georgians --
    don't ask me). A third involves a church in Italy which
    is .... inflated.

    The Odd Box is one that might interest some -- among other
    things, a 44 meter sandwich in Mexico, 20,000 Mohammed (the
    name, that is) in one spot, GPS traces of ships, planes,
    and taxies, a true fat cat [44 lbs of meow], a study on
    yawning dogs (the short answer: yes, they do yawn if they
    see us yawning), and a guy stuck in a log cabin who was
    rescued sans trowsers (presumably, they were left in the
    chimney, along with what was left of his dignity).

    I suspect drinking was involved at some point; this guy
    doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.

    All very smoothly played on my work Linux box. Not sure
    if they'll play as well at home, because of bandwidth,
    but oh well.

    >> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    > Garmin Linux based unit?

    Presumably

    http://www.garmin.com/

    The girl is cute and freckly; the FAQ, however, returned
    no results on a query for Linux. Color me puzzled on
    that one.

    >> Until you decide to purchase something from
    >> the iTunes store.

    > Amazon.
    >
    >> Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various
    >> PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod devices.

    > Haven't tried my Palm TX, which is also my media player. My wireless
    > router is up to date, finally.
    >
    >> Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.

    > There are real games that run on Liux systems, other that Quake.

    Other than Quake and Doom, though there's probably an
    awful lot of modified Quake engines out there.

    The ones that come to mind:

    - Quake IV -- yes, there's a Linux variant; I had it
    running on my Athlon system (which has better graphics
    capability than my nx9010). The story line is a bit
    silly (and the Strogg auto-hospital is rather gruesome),
    but reasonably playable. The original did not come with
    AI for multiplayer but by now patches are probably available.

    - Eternal Lands has a Linux client; there are hints
    Second Life has one as well. EL now includes bows
    and arrows, plus lots of monsters, potions, essences,
    weapons, armors, and clothing. Skills include everything
    from alchemy to tailoring. Invasions and arenas are
    very popular. Watch out for land mines in certain maps. :-)

    - Nexuiz is popular for those into deadly multiplayer
    shoot-em-ups; it may not be that realistic but who the
    heck cares? Select from nine weapons (laser, shotgun,
    machine gun, mortar, electro [it shoots dangerous little
    blue balls], crylink [it shoots dangerous little shards],
    Nex [sniper laser weapon], Hagar [a nasty beast that
    throws out bomblets], and a rocket launcher with remotely
    detonable warheads [just press the right mouse button
    and kaboom]), pick up the ammo, and one's ready to kick
    [censored]. Includes AI; uses heavily modified Quake
    I engine. Multiplayer capabilities include automatically
    downloadable map packs and a fair number of servers.

    - Doom III Demo, which suggests Doom III can also run
    on Linux. This is rather graphics intensive for my
    equipment, but does work (though Gentoo has it tagged
    for a security breach).

    - Yes, various Doom, Heretic, and Hexen engines.
    There's even a FreeDoom out there which runs
    on FreeDOS.

    - UT2004 has a Linux client. I have no idea where the
    new version went, though.

    There is also

    http://www.happypenguin.org/

    which among other things includes the *very* odd entry
    "Be The Wumpus" -- no graphics or even text, just sound.
    If one remembers the original, it was staged in a
    dodecahedral cave with bats and pits; one had to shoot at
    the wumpus with strange arrows. Apparently, this new entry
    inverts the concept; you are now the Wumpus, an endangered
    species, and presumably one has to dodge the hunters. Good luck,
    I guess.

    http://techgage.com/article/top_10_free_linux_games/

    contains what it calls the Top 10, 100% free agmes:
    KMahjongg (um, mahjongg, but well done)
    America's Army (freeware shoot-em-up for US Army trainees,
    based on Unreal engine)
    Armagetron Advanced (Tron cycle clone -- pretty if basic)
    Cube (now Sauerbraten -- brand new cubie-based game engine,
    with some impressive if slightly simplistic graphics capabilities)
    Pingus (sidescrolling penguin fun)
    Neverball (ball-roller; don't drop off).
    Nexuiz (see above)
    Enemy Territory (apparently a Return to Castle Wolfenstein derivative)
    Frozen Bubble (which has now been cloned innumerable times in various
    Flash games)
    Battle for Wesnoth (fantasy turn-based hex wargame, with a large
    number of capabilities).

    This list looks a bit dated as it's from 2006.

    http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php

    is a list of 373 games, modifications, or emulators.

    http://games.linux.sk/index.php

    has a list of 189 games.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_games

    has 261 games, including very venerable entries
    such as XPilot (a simple 2D multiplayer scroller/shootemup
    emphasizing physics over graphics) and XBill (which
    pays homage -- sort of -- to Bill Gates, to the point
    that one needs to kill his clones in order to stop his
    plan to install Windows on all servers), Tux Racer (where
    Tux demonstrates his ability to slide on his belly), and
    SimCity, renamed Micropolis -- hmm, looks like Lincity has
    some competition for my attention. *evil grin*

    Interestingly, the code for Micropolis hints at using
    Tcl internally; this could lead to some weird hacks downstream.

    And of course there's a large amount of Flash-based stuff,
    some buggier than others but most of which are quite
    playable.

    So...um...what games are we missing specifically? The only
    one coming to mind is Halo 3....

    >> Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone
    >> bills Until.......
    >>
    >> Would you like me to continue?
    >>
    >> Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >>
    >> Sure....
    >> Many more like you have said the same thing. A week later they are back
    >> to Windows or Mac.

    > Oh, well.... too bad for them.
    >
    > But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems and
    > OSS, do you?

    Naaah. It would make him look bad. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  16. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:28:32 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:17:50 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> It's only an insult if you are stupid enough to pay for it....

    >> I paid for many distros. I paid for Applixware. And, again, why do you
    >> get so much enjoyment insulting people for using software they have
    >> consciously decided to use? Why do you enjoy telling people that the
    >> software that works for them, doesn't work for them?

    > I donated to texstar and paid for Applix as well...

    Why are you calling yourself stupid?

    > The key is the word *works* and how it applies to COLA....
    >
    > Example: My video card just works with Linux. Real answer: I can't use
    > the remote control, S-Video doesn't work, I can't use the highest
    > resolutions etc...But it works...

    My card works. It is a lower end nVidia card, but it works.

    As for yours, go bitch to the vendor that you want a Linux driver, or buy
    one that is supported.

    > FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars. They

    I am a COLA Linux person. I don't appreciate being called a liar. My
    video card works. My scanner works. My printer works. My Palm TX works.
    My cell phone.. ah, well, I may see how many times I can bounce it off a
    wall... my Web cams work, my camera works, my wide screen LCD works.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:49:44 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:46:52 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >

    >> As for yours, go bitch to the vendor that you want a Linux driver, or
    >> buy one that is supported.

    > Why?

    Either go bitch to the vendor for a Linux driver, or don't bitch about it
    not fully working, and you might consider thanking the people that got it
    to work as much as it does.

    >>> FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars. They

    >> I am a COLA Linux person. I don't appreciate being called a liar. My
    >> video card works. My scanner works. My printer works. My Palm TX works.
    >> My cell phone.. ah, well, I may see how many times I can bounce it off
    >> a wall... my Web cams work, my camera works, my wide screen LCD works.

    > Good for you.
    > FWIW the Linux loons don't like you anymore than they like me. Think
    > about that.....

    Linux loons. .there you go again.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:06:51 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:49:44 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:46:52 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>

    >>> As for yours, go bitch to the vendor that you want a Linux driver, or
    >>> buy one that is supported.

    >> Why?

    > Either go bitch to the vendor for a Linux driver, or don't bitch about it
    > not fully working, and you might consider thanking the people that got it
    > to work as much as it does.

    It works under Windows but not under Linux.
    Who do you think average Joe is going to blame?

    Hint: The Answer is LINUX...

    >>> I am a COLA Linux person. I don't appreciate being called a liar. My
    >>> video card works. My scanner works. My printer works. My Palm TX works.
    >>> My cell phone.. ah, well, I may see how many times I can bounce it off
    >>> a wall... my Web cams work, my camera works, my wide screen LCD works.

    >> Good for you.
    >> FWIW the Linux loons don't like you anymore than they like me. Think
    >> about that.....

    > Linux loons. .there you go again.

    Well what would you call the likes of 7, Roy, Mark, HPT, Mark Bilk,
    Poaster,Homer, Ballard etc....?

    Do you think that bunch is playing with a full deck?

    Come on already.

    They have all the trappings of a re-make of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

    Do you know why they don't like you?
    For the same reason they ran poor Kier out of the group.

    You can think for yourself and don't follow the company line.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:05 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:45:16 -0700 (PDT), cheley_bonstell88@live.com
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I did my research Before I installed ubuntu:
    >>
    >> Optimized the hard drive,
    >> made sure I had enough room,
    >>
    >> put in the CD:
    >>
    >> said " yes" to install
    >>
    >> - And Here I am !
    >>
    >> Ubuntu is what I use almost exclusively ;
    >>
    >> I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again
    >>
    >> & good luck to yu !

    First off, ever hear of wine?

    > Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    GNU cash imports and exports Quicken files

    > Until you decide to get into online stock trading.

    Are you sure that's not possible with Linux?

    > Until your kid comes home from school with programs you can't run.

    Again... wine or Crossover Office.

    > Until your job hands you some CBT trainining DVD's that you can't run.

    Wine

    > Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    I haven't had any troubles with that.

    > Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    No problems here.

    > Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    Wine.

    > Until you decide to purchase something from the iTunes store.

    Ever hear of iLife for Linux?

    > Until you decide to upgrade firmware on various PDA/Cell/GPS/iPod

    devices.

    Are you sure that's not possible with Linux?

    > Until you decide you want some real games other than Quake.

    There are plenty of games for Linux.

    > Until you decide to try MagicJack to save on phone bills

    An old computer running XP plugged into the LAN can work for that.

    > Until.......

    > Would you like me to continue?

    It appears you will regardless.

    > Like you said " I will probably never use a Microsoft OS again"...
    >
    > Sure....
    > Many more like you have said the same thing. A week later they are back
    > to Windows or Mac.

    I have 8 computers and only on running Windows2k I even have a free (TS2
    giveaway) copy of XP that I no longer use. The rest of my systems use
    Linux (Ubuntu) and I have no problems. The 2k machine controls my radios
    (HAM).

    Ed

    --
    Linux User# 416016
    Linux Machine# 385029

  20. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:13:00 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:06:51 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> Why?

    >> Either go bitch to the vendor for a Linux driver, or don't bitch about
    >> it not fully working, and you might consider thanking the people that
    >> got it to work as much as it does.

    > It works under Windows but not under Linux. Who do you think average Joe
    > is going to blame?
    >
    > Hint: The Answer is LINUX...

    Then the average Joe is an idiot. .. and is that news?

    >>> Good for you.
    >>> FWIW the Linux loons don't like you anymore than they like me. Think
    >>> about that.....

    >> Linux loons. .there you go again.

    > Well what would you call the likes of 7, Roy, Mark, HPT, Mark Bilk,
    > Poaster,Homer, Ballard etc....?
    >
    > Do you think that bunch is playing with a full deck?
    >
    > Come on already.
    >
    > They have all the trappings of a re-make of One Flew Over The Cuckoos
    > Nest.
    >

    > Do you know why they don't like you?

    I don't know if they like me or not, but I also haven't seen many
    negative post from them towards me, either. Quark? Yes. Glasser? Yes.

    > For the same reason they ran poor Kier out of the group.
    >
    > You can think for yourself and don't follow the company line.....

    What company line? Nothing is perfect.

    And yes, I think Microsoft and Gates are evil.. but then, I don't have a
    high regard for Steve Jobs, either... Wozniak? Yes. The original Mac
    team? Yes. Some of the Microsoft developers? Yes.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast