Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

  1. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Linonut wrote:

    >They are mostly /marketing/ issues.

    Issues that vanish with pre-configured Linux packages from the OEM's,
    something that Micro$oft, of course, has worked so hard to limit.

  2. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On 2008-08-13, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Until your accountant demands Quicken files.

    > Get a proper, professional accountant. Nobody serious uses "Quicken"
    > anymore.
    >
    >> Until you decide to get into online stock trading.

    > Never been /any/ kind of problem here. I wouldn't trust the details of my
    > on-line trades to anything as insecure as Windoze.

    I am using Ameritrade and it works fine for trading. I usually do 2
    transactions per year or so.

  3. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:39:10 +0100, Christopher Hunter quoth:

    > Never had /any/ problems with DVDs under Linux. However,
    > Windoze /deliberately/ degrades the video and audio output as they assume
    > that you're trying to make "illegal" copies.

    is this true for all dvds? it just applies to those with drm code, right?

    I honestly don't know.

    Felmon

  4. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:15:43 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> They do if you plan on using your computer for that kind of stuff and
    >> I have news for you that stuff is VERY important to the typical
    >> consumer. The computer is now an appliance of sorts and is used to
    >> interface with these things.
    >>
    >> People don't want to be bothered looking for a device that might work
    >> with Linux. They want the *red one* or the *blue one* and typically
    >> they read the reviews online and buy. Linux savvy people work
    >> differently and they typically look for Linux supported devices and
    >> work from that point.
    >>
    >> Here's another one, those wireless Lexmark printers they are
    >> advertising all over the place. Do they work with Linux? Dop they
    >> work with ALL versions of Linux or just Redhat or Suse? I don't know.
    >> I do know they work with Windows though
    >>
    >> No it's not, it's what people use in daily life be it business, school
    >> or personal use. It goes well beyond web browsing, email and playing
    >> some mp3 files.

    > You raise some good points, but, guess what? They are mostly
    > /marketing/ issues.

    True, but to the user who has these things working with Windows, or has
    friends who have these things working with Windows, it's going to be
    perceived as a Linux problem.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:34:04 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>They are mostly /marketing/ issues.

    > Issues that vanish with pre-configured Linux packages from the OEM's,
    > something that Micro$oft, of course, has worked so hard to limit.

    So why not get cracking and contact these companies to offer your services.
    Hadron had a great idea concerning this a couple of days ago.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:15:43 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> You raise some good points, but, guess what? They are mostly
    >> /marketing/ issues.

    > True, but to the user who has these things working with Windows, or has
    > friends who have these things working with Windows, it's going to be
    > perceived as a Linux problem.

    Let's say a car has a new feature no other car has. Normally, some
    people will buy it for that feature. Fairly quickly, others companies
    will start adding the feature to their car. So there cannot be any
    feature problem, for very long.

    Same with a desktop platform. All that happens is that Linux users may
    be behind the power curve on this or that feature for awhile.

    Yet, in a car market, there's a fairly uniform distribution of sales,
    then, even while people do without this or that car feature for awhile.

    So what's not normal about the Windows market?

    It is dominated by one vendor. If there were many desktop vendors,
    people would not think of one vendor's feature set as being standard.
    They would have to weigh more options.

    With one vendor, people start to think of it as a standard, even in the
    rare case where the person knows of alternatives. So no company can
    play the feature game against that vendor. People are already committed
    (or think they are) to the features provided by the dominant vendor.
    And, if somebody comes out with a new feature, Microsoft appropriates
    it. The little company has a lot of trouble gaining any traction,
    because the vendors features have become standard simply by being
    omnipresent.

    Microsoft can't even play the features game against itself. Look what
    happened with Vista. Some new features, but some loss of old features
    that people have come to think of as the standard.

    --
    Yet creeds mean very little, Coth answered the dark god, still speaking
    almost gently. The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all

  7. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:34:04 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>>They are mostly /marketing/ issues.

    >> Issues that vanish with pre-configured Linux packages from the OEM's,
    >> something that Micro$oft, of course, has worked so hard to limit.

    > So why not get cracking and contact these companies to offer your services.
    > Hadron had a great idea concerning this a couple of days ago.

    Unfortunately, Hadron's presentation tends to overshadow the merits of
    his ideas.

    Besides, you can't get any traction in any reasonable with a small time
    vendor. Look at Ubuntu. It's taken the backing of a very wealthy man
    to get it to be recognized as a potential alternative to Windows.

    Even if Microsoft were to take a totally hands-off position on "the
    competition", it would take years of full-time expensive labor to make a
    big dent in the infrastructure that has grown up around Windows.

    That doesn't mean no one should try. Microsoft needs their back to the
    wall to do good code. Otherwise you get languishing projects such as
    Internet Explorer through version 6.

    --
    Removing the straw that broke the camel's back does not necessarily
    allow the camel to walk again.

  8. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Linonut wrote:

    >Unfortunately, Hadron's presentation tends to overshadow the merits of
    >his ideas.

    Quack is a fsckwit.

    >Besides, you can't get any traction in any reasonable with a small time
    >vendor. Look at Ubuntu. It's taken the backing of a very wealthy man
    >to get it to be recognized as a potential alternative to Windows.
    >
    >Even if Microsoft were to take a totally hands-off position on "the
    >competition", it would take years of full-time expensive labor to make a
    >big dent in the infrastructure that has grown up around Windows.
    >
    >That doesn't mean no one should try.

    It's a tough "row to hoe", though... The OEM's do not dislike selling
    Windows - it's more revenue for them.

    For all of Linux' merits, it doesn't have that great of a business
    case - unless, of course, customers really start demanding it (a trend
    that we are strting to see).

  9. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:45:07 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately, Hadron's presentation tends to overshadow the merits of
    >>his ideas.

    > Quack is a fsckwit.
    >
    >>Besides, you can't get any traction in any reasonable with a small time
    >>vendor. Look at Ubuntu. It's taken the backing of a very wealthy man
    >>to get it to be recognized as a potential alternative to Windows.
    >>
    >>Even if Microsoft were to take a totally hands-off position on "the
    >>competition", it would take years of full-time expensive labor to make a
    >>big dent in the infrastructure that has grown up around Windows.
    >>
    >>That doesn't mean no one should try.

    > It's a tough "row to hoe", though... The OEM's do not dislike selling
    > Windows - it's more revenue for them.

    OEM's and any other business will sell what *sells* and they will purge
    what does not sell.

    > For all of Linux' merits, it doesn't have that great of a business
    > case - unless, of course, customers really start demanding it (a trend
    > that we are strting to see).

    It has no business case to average Joe other than being free and having
    better security with less hassles.

    To corporations it depends.
    For a company who wants to customize their applications having the source
    may be just the ticket.
    For most though, having the source doesn't mean a hill of beans.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

  11. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > Here's another one, those wireless Lexmark printers they are
    > advertising all over the place.
    > Do they work with Linux?
    > Dop they work with ALL versions of Linux or just Redhat or Suse?
    > I don't know.
    > I do know they work with Windows though

    If what your getting at is because of the wireless part, that's a moot
    point, as the printer would be a stand alone client on a wireless AP.

    I've owned/used several network printers, and they all had network
    configuration options right on the LCD displays on the printer itself, but
    I don't know what specific model you would be talking about.

  12. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Rick wrote:
    >> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    > Garmin Linux based unit?

    Tomtom are also linux based.
    So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    What was that about windows again?

    > Oh, well.... too bad for them.
    >
    > But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems and
    > OSS, do you?

    For flatty, such a thing only happens when it's building up to a MAJOR
    trolling session somewhere down the line, (when it's started saying nice
    things about linux in order to snare people into thinking it'd turned over a
    new leaf...)
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  13. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Ram wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Sniped...
    >>
    >> FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars.
    >> They have been caught a zillion times already so I don't trust them until
    >> they prove otherwise.
    >>

    > Please leave it in COLA then.

    Good luck on that.
    Even things that start in COLA get crossposted the moment flatfish shoves
    its oar in. (the latest in a long line of names flatfish has used is Moshe)

  14. Re: THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKS JUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:
    >> Go Away Imposter. Just FYI. I Have Trademarked This Name And All The
    >> Writings That I Do And Nobody Has The Right To Use What I Say And I Make The
    >> Rules And Microsoft Must Follow The Rules And All The ISP's Must Enforse The
    >> Rules.

    > LOL.
    >
    > Gorgeous.

    Indeed, and that was of course, Just FYI...
    | in |good to you so far... |

  15. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Linonut wrote:
    >> Until you wish to look at the Olympics videos.

    > Streams.
    >
    >> Until you wish to view BBC multimedia content.

    > I thought they got some Linux support to that.

    They did. Moshe is sending these messages through a time delayed mechanism
    from between 1995 and 2006. (the delay varies, possible due to some orbit
    somewhere)
    | in |good to you so far... |

  16. Re: THAT IS A BUNCH OF B.S., JUST FYI. OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU WORKSJUST FINE 4 ME, ALSO JUST FYI.

    On 08/12/2008 07:02 PM Cork Soaker scribbled:

    > kevpan815@noreply.com wrote:
    >> Go Away Imposter. Just FYI. I Have Trademarked This Name And All The
    >> Writings That I Do And Nobody Has The Right To Use What I Say And I Make The
    >> Rules And Microsoft Must Follow The Rules And All The ISP's Must Enforse The
    >> Rules.

    > LOL.
    >
    > Gorgeous.

    Yep, this thread's only redemption is a cartooney offered by a looney.

  17. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars. They
    > have been caught a zillion times already so I don't trust them until
    > they prove otherwise.

    Yea and your a ****ing **** stirring troll Moshe Pissflaps.

  18. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Mr Spock wrote:

    > Yea and your a ****ing **** stirring troll Moshe Pissflaps.

    That does not sound to be well educated Oxford english, is it?
    Is that the new Ubuntu spirit of conviviality?

    Laszlo

  19. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:12:34 +0200, LaszloLebrun wrote:

    > Mr Spock wrote:
    >
    >> Yea and your a ****ing **** stirring troll Moshe Pissflaps.

    > That does not sound to be well educated Oxford english, is it? Is that
    > the new Ubuntu spirit of conviviality?
    >
    > Laszlo

    con·viv·i·al
    adj.
    1. Fond of feasting, drinking, and good company; sociable. See Synonyms
    at social.
    2. Merry; festive: a convivial atmosphere at the reunion.

    Have you read ANY of the posts here ?? You would find that practically
    75% plus of the users on this forum, are all a bunch of foul mouthed
    sewer ****es, that regularly engage in slagging off at least three people.
    So go shove your "Ubuntu spirit of conviviality" up your arse, and maybe
    post a new thread, listing all your verbal vomit, for everyone to laugh
    at.

  20. Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:15:12 GMT, Mr Spock wrote:

    >> FWIW If it *works* for you, fine but COLA Linux people are liars. They
    >> have been caught a zillion times already so I don't trust them until
    >> they prove otherwise.

    > Yea and your a ****ing **** stirring troll Moshe Pissflaps.

    Why are Linux users so angry all the time?

    Must be all that time they spend trying to make their systems function in
    what is a Windows and increasingly a Mac world.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/