LJ 3 printing problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on LJ 3 printing problem - Ubuntu ; Hi. The pest again! Version 7.10. When I use | lp to print from the terminal to my HP Laserjet 3 it drops the first character. I can't tell if it does with the Abi WP because of the left ...

  1. LJ 3 printing problem

    Hi. The pest again!

    Version 7.10.

    When I use

    | lp

    to print from the terminal to my HP Laserjet 3 it drops the first
    character. I can't tell if it does with the Abi WP because of the left
    margin. Windows doesn't do this.

    I'm using the

    HP Laserjet 3 Foomatic/ljet3 (recommended)

    driver. This is what Ubuntu set me up with when it auto-detected my printer
    when Ubuntu was installed. There are two other drivers which I didn't check
    - afraid of messing with things I don't understand

    HP Laserjet 3 CUPS + Gutenprint 5.0.1 Simplified

    and

    HP Laserjet 3 CUPS + Gutenprint 5.0.1

    are shown as the other drivers. Anyone know if one of these would solve my
    problem? Is there some sort of 'lp' argument that would stop this problem -
    like adding a one character left margin?

    I tried Google/Linux but didn't see any mentions of this problem.

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: LJ 3 printing problem

    Ken wrote:
    > Hi. The pest again!

    > Version 7.10.

    > When I use

    > | lp

    > to print from the terminal to my HP Laserjet 3 it drops the first
    > character. I can't tell if it does with the Abi WP because of the left
    > margin. Windows doesn't do this.

    What happens when you do

    echo something | lp -o page-left=40
    ?

    What happens when you print a text file on the command-line?

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  3. Re: LJ 3 printing problem

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote in news:4899f2e1$0
    $16174$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch:

    > Ken wrote:
    >> Hi. The pest again!

    >> Version 7.10.

    >> When I use

    >> | lp

    >> to print from the terminal to my HP Laserjet 3 it drops the first
    >> character. I can't tell if it does with the Abi WP because of the left
    >> margin. Windows doesn't do this.

    > What happens when you do
    >
    > echo something | lp -o page-left=40
    > ?

    echo "something" | lp -o page-left=40

    Prints first character correctly.

    > What happens when you print a text file on the command-line?

    How? Cat and head and tail with '| lp' are the only ways I know how to
    print a file. Give me an example please.

    cat test.txt.save | lp

    This skips the first character.

    I tried printing the file from gedit. Prints first character correctly.

    > HTH,
    > Niklaus

    Thanks

    Ken

  4. Re: LJ 3 printing problem

    Ken wrote:
    > Niklaus Kuehnis wrote in news:4899f2e1$0
    > $16174$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch:
    > > Ken wrote:

    > echo "something" | lp -o page-left=40

    > Prints first character correctly.
    >
    > > What happens when you print a text file on the command-line?

    > How?

    lp test.txt.save

    compare to

    lp -o page-left=40 test.txt.save

    If it only works with the latter, set a left margin as a default
    option.

    Recommended reading:
    http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  5. Re: LJ 3 printing problem

    Niklaus Kuehnis wrote in news:489b2c06$0
    $16174$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch:

    > Ken wrote:
    >> Niklaus Kuehnis wrote in news:4899f2e1$0
    >> $16174$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch:
    >> > Ken wrote:

    >> echo "something" | lp -o page-left=40

    >> Prints first character correctly.
    >>
    >> > What happens when you print a text file on the command-line?

    >> How?

    > lp test.txt.save

    Drops first character.

    > compare to
    >
    > lp -o page-left=40 test.txt.save

    Works.

    lp -o page-left=30 test.txt.save

    Works

    lp -o page-left=20 test.txt.save

    Missing 'T'

    lp -o page-left=25 test.txt.save

    Cuts off left edge of 'T'.

    > If it only works with the latter, set a left margin as a default
    > option.

    Use

    alias lp='lp -o page-left=30'

    ?

    > Recommended reading:
    > http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html

    Will do. Thanks much.

    > HTH,
    > Niklaus

    Ken

  6. Re: LJ 3 printing problem

    Ken wrote:
    > Use

    > alias lp='lp -o page-left=30'

    > ?

    That would work but it's more like a workaround.
    More elegantly:

    sudo lpoptions -o page-left=30

    > > Recommended reading:
    > > http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html