Laptop won't suspend when lid closes - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Laptop won't suspend when lid closes - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Kubuntu 8.04 I have an Advent 7113 laptop. I believe this is also known as ECS brand. Now and then I have to close the laptop lid in a hurry without shutting down and or logging out. When ...

  1. Laptop won't suspend when lid closes

    Hi all,

    Kubuntu 8.04

    I have an Advent 7113 laptop. I believe this is also known as ECS brand.

    Now and then I have to close the laptop lid in a hurry without shutting
    down and or logging out.

    When I open the lid I would expect to see the login box again and to be
    able to continue on with what I was doing.

    However, on opening the lid the laptop just reverts to whatever I was
    doing beforehand.

    Anyone any ideas on how to set it up so that if on closing the lid and
    then opening it again the system presents the login window again?

    Cheers,

    toe

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  2. Re: Laptop won't suspend when lid closes

    On 2008-08-06, toedipper wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    >
    > I have an Advent 7113 laptop. I believe this is also known as ECS brand.
    >
    > Now and then I have to close the laptop lid in a hurry without shutting
    > down and or logging out.
    >
    > When I open the lid I would expect to see the login box again and to be
    > able to continue on with what I was doing.
    >
    > However, on opening the lid the laptop just reverts to whatever I was
    > doing beforehand.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas on how to set it up so that if on closing the lid and
    > then opening it again the system presents the login window again?

    You would need to go to configure your "power management" to tell your
    laptop to suspend when the lid is closed. Preferences/Power Management

    > toe
    >
    > http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Laptop won't suspend when lid closes

    Ignoramus11522 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-06, toedipper wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Kubuntu 8.04
    >>
    >> I have an Advent 7113 laptop. I believe this is also known as ECS brand.
    >>
    >> Now and then I have to close the laptop lid in a hurry without shutting
    >> down and or logging out.
    >>
    >> When I open the lid I would expect to see the login box again and to be
    >> able to continue on with what I was doing.
    >>
    >> However, on opening the lid the laptop just reverts to whatever I was
    >> doing beforehand.
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas on how to set it up so that if on closing the lid and
    >> then opening it again the system presents the login window again?

    > You would need to go to configure your "power management" to tell your
    > laptop to suspend when the lid is closed. Preferences/Power Management

    >> toe
    >>
    >> http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

    Cheers for that but it's Kubuntu 8.04 (Kde 3.5.9 and not Gnome), I have
    a System Settings menu but can't see any power management features in there.

    toe

    http://www.vistaisrubbish.com

  4. Re: Laptop won't suspend when lid closes

    toedipper wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Kubuntu 8.04
    >
    > I have an Advent 7113 laptop. I believe this is also known as ECS
    > brand.
    >
    > Now and then I have to close the laptop lid in a hurry without
    > shutting down and or logging out.
    >
    > When I open the lid I would expect to see the login box again and to
    > be able to continue on with what I was doing.
    >
    > However, on opening the lid the laptop just reverts to whatever I was
    > doing beforehand.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas on how to set it up so that if on closing the lid and
    > then opening it again the system presents the login window again?

    Do you have kde-guidance-powermanager? If so, click on the battery icon
    and "Lock screen on resume".

+ Reply to Thread