virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs - Ubuntu ; i installed virtualbox (Version 1.6.4) yesterday on ubuntu linux 8.04. Whenever i try to install ubuntu 8.04 as guestsystem, the installation process hangs. The point it hangs, is while formating the harddisc with ext3 filesystem. The system freezes and anything ...

  1. virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    i installed virtualbox (Version 1.6.4) yesterday on ubuntu linux 8.04.
    Whenever i try to install ubuntu 8.04 as guestsystem, the installation
    process hangs. The point it hangs, is while formating the harddisc with
    ext3 filesystem. The system freezes and anything i can do is turn to
    computer of!

    Any tips about this?
    Wolfgang

  2. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:18:41 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:

    > The point it hangs, is while formating the harddisc with
    > ext3 filesystem. The system freezes and anything i can do is turn to
    > computer of!
    >
    > Any tips about this?
    > Wolfgang

    Yes. Patience. The format takes a /very/ long time. Take the dog out for
    a walk.

  3. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    > i installed virtualbox (Version 1.6.4) yesterday on ubuntu linux 8.04.
    > Whenever i try to install ubuntu 8.04 as guestsystem, the installation
    > process hangs.

    Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    Try the 8.04.1 iso. The 8.04 is problematic for USB installs, so maybe
    same with VMs too.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >> i installed virtualbox (Version 1.6.4) yesterday on ubuntu linux 8.04.
    >> Whenever i try to install ubuntu 8.04 as guestsystem, the installation
    >> process hangs.

    > Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    start it when i need it.

    > Try the 8.04.1 iso. The 8.04 is problematic for USB installs, so maybe
    > same with VMs too.

    Thank you for that hint
    Wolfgang

  5. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Derek Turner wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:18:41 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >
    >> The point it hangs, is while formating the harddisc with
    >> ext3 filesystem. The system freezes and anything i can do is turn to
    >> computer of!
    >>
    >> Any tips about this?
    >> Wolfgang

    > Yes. Patience. The format takes a /very/ long time. Take the dog out for
    > a walk.

    Damn. I just did a 90 min walk! Any other ideas?

    But to be honest: After waiting patiently for about 15 minutes the partition
    manager stopped working and then: The whole process aborted. I was not able
    to partition the virtual disk using the ubuntu 8.04 installation cd. So i
    will give the ubuntu 8.04.1 a chance as stated in another post.

    Wolfgang

  6. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    darklight schrieb:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:18:41 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >>
    >>> The point it hangs, is while formating the harddisc with
    >>> ext3 filesystem. The system freezes and anything i can do is turn to
    >>> computer of!
    >>>
    >>> Any tips about this?
    >>> Wolfgang

    >> Yes. Patience. The format takes a /very/ long time. Take the dog out for
    >> a walk.

    > How much ram do you have in pc and how much ram have you assigned to virtual
    > box. if you can work that one out you will work out what is going wrong.

    You are right. That did the trick! The system is installing right now.
    But I am sure, i followed the suggestions of virtualbox in all settings
    so these suggestions are not so good.

    Thank you for that tip
    Wolfgang

  7. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:06:13 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:

    >> Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    > simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    > the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    > start it when i need it.

    In that case why not create a desktop shortcut with skype as command.
    When you log into skype be sure to check the Sign me in when Skype
    starts. When you are done with skype, just select Quit.

    Now when you click the shortcut, skype comes up, ready to go.

    By the way, I have kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386 and ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386
    installed under VirtualBox-1.6.2. Guess I need to get 1.6.4

    Hope you gave the guest plenty of memory and video ram.

    I would try again, and during the partition, phase, create swap first,
    and see how it goes. Then create /. Cannot remember if there is an
    option to NOT do a bad block check on ubuntu's install format screen.

  8. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Bit Twister schrieb:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:06:13 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >
    >>> Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    >> simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    >> the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    >> start it when i need it.

    > In that case why not create a desktop shortcut with skype as command.
    > When you log into skype be sure to check the Sign me in when Skype
    > starts. When you are done with skype, just select Quit.
    >
    > Now when you click the shortcut, skype comes up, ready to go.
    >
    > By the way, I have kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386 and ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386
    > installed under VirtualBox-1.6.2. Guess I need to get 1.6.4
    >
    > Hope you gave the guest plenty of memory and video ram.
    >
    > I would try again, and during the partition, phase, create swap first,
    > and see how it goes. Then create /. Cannot remember if there is an
    > option to NOT do a bad block check on ubuntu's install format screen.

    There really was a problem with the RAM-setting. My desktop has 256 MB
    RAM and all the RAM was assigned to the virtualbox. After changing this
    to 128 MB RAM, the installation seems to work. Im just installing software.

    Wolfgang

  9. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >> Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >>> i installed virtualbox (Version 1.6.4) yesterday on ubuntu linux 8.04.
    >>> Whenever i try to install ubuntu 8.04 as guestsystem, the installation
    >>> process hangs.

    >> Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    > simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    > the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    > start it when i need it.

    That really doesn't make any sense.

  10. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    >> johnny bobby bee wrote:

    >>> Why would you do that? Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

    >> simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    >> the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    >> start it when i need it.

    > That really doesn't make any sense.

    Why do you think so?

  11. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    * Wolfgang Meiners wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Wolfgang Meiners wrote:

    >>> simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run
    >>> it all the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype
    >>> and i only start it when i need it.

    >> That really doesn't make any sense.

    > Why do you think so?

    Why install a whole OS just because you want to be able to start and stop
    an application?

    --
    David

  12. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Wolfgang Meiners wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    >>> That really doesn't make any sense.

    >> Why do you think so?
    >>

    > Why install a whole OS just because you want to be able to start and stop
    > an application?

    Maybe the OP doesn't know skype can be stopped and started... It doesn't
    have to run all the time.

  13. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    clay schrieb:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Wolfgang Meiners wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    >>> Why do you think so?
    >>>

    >> Why install a whole OS just because you want to be able to start and
    >> stop an application?
    >>

    > Maybe the OP doesn't know skype can be stopped and started... It doesn't
    > have to run all the time.

    To be precise, i dont know anything about skype and i dont know anything
    about virtualbox. But i read some things. For example about skype being
    spyware and about it's abilities to bypass firewalls. To install skype,
    you need administrative rights and i dont know, what services might be
    started without my knowledge and might be runnig after i stopped skype.
    The simplest way to control this is to run skype in a virtual box. Maybe
    you know it's not necessary but i don't know that.

    Wolfgang

  14. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    * Wolfgang Meiners wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > To be precise, i dont know anything about skype and i dont know anything
    > about virtualbox.

    Then how do you know you need/want either?

    > But i read some things.

    Dont believe everything you read on the interwebz

    > For example about skype being
    > spyware and about it's abilities to bypass firewalls. To install skype,
    > you need administrative rights

    You need admin rights to install most software on a linux box.

    > and i dont know, what services might be
    > started without my knowledge and might be runnig after i stopped skype.

    Monitor them.

    > The simplest way to control this is to run skype in a virtual box.

    No, thats the kill a mosquito with a cannon way, the simpleist way would be
    to learn what you dont know.

    Start Here:

    http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/adwarefree/

    --
    David

  15. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 21:38:39 +0200, Wolfgang Meiners wrote:

    > To be precise, i dont know anything about skype and i dont know anything
    > about virtualbox.

    So you trust virtualbox more than skpe.

    > But i read some things. For example about skype being spyware

    I could be wrong, but laws were passed in the USA that installing
    spyware is now illegal. Who ever said it had spyware, needs to show proof.

    With well over 11 million users, I would bet they would not like being
    caught running spyware.

    > and about it's abilities to bypass firewalls.

    Maybe that is a misnomer. It's ability for a "user" to send files
    to/from the system without the firewall blocking it, would be what you are
    talking about. If you can launch and log into skype you are already
    through the firewall.

    > To install skype, you need administrative rights

    So would virutalbox.

    > and i dont know, what services might be
    > started without my knowledge and might be runnig after i stopped skype.

    Easy enough to check, click up two terminals, one for root and the
    other for skype.

    term1: sudo ps aux > /tmp/before.skype
    term2: skype
    term1: ps aux > /tmp/during.skype
    term2: quit skype
    term1: ps aux > /tmp/after.skype

    Wonder what skype installs:
    Install aide, (host intrusion detection Environment system)
    set your config rules and build the aide database
    install skype.
    run a aide check and see what changed.

    > The simplest way to control this is to run skype in a virtual box.

    Very true. You might have noticed UDP connects are not solid in
    Virtualbox documentation. Hope skype works well there since it uses
    UDP for skype traffic.

    > Maybe you know it's not necessary but i don't know that.

    What worried me was some article I read, (sorry, did not keep url),
    where anyone can setup a package repository which could load malware via an
    update. :-(

  16. Re: virtualbox: Installation of ubuntu hangs

    Wolfgang Meiners wrote:
    > simple reason: I will have to install skype and i dont want to run it all
    > the time. So i install a virtualbox running ubuntu with skype and i only
    > start it when i need it.

    Um ... holy crap! Jumping Jebus. You do know you can start and stop
    skype when you want, right? Are you experiencing a problem when quitting
    skype? Errors? Have you even bloody tried?

    --Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread