Scary Whoops! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Scary Whoops! - Ubuntu ; was playing around with permissions and wanted to change a file to +x and accidenttaly typed chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner wound up with: drw-r--r-- /home/sinner and lost the ability to do anything. Nothing would launch, nothing would save. Thank goodness ...

  1. Scary Whoops!

    was playing around with permissions and wanted to change a file to +x
    and accidenttaly typed

    chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner

    wound up with:
    drw-r--r-- /home/sinner

    and lost the ability to do anything. Nothing would launch, nothing would
    save. Thank goodness for ctl+alt+f2 so I could get to terminal and run

    chmod 700 /home/sinner

    Just thought I'd share
    --
    David | Fight Back!
    Delta: The kids will love our inflatable slides. -- David Letterman

  2. Re: Scary Whoops!

    It would help to learn how to use "recovery mode" well in advance of
    any emergency.

    On 2008-08-04, SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    > was playing around with permissions and wanted to change a file to +x
    > and accidenttaly typed
    >
    > chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner
    >
    > wound up with:
    > drw-r--r-- /home/sinner
    >
    > and lost the ability to do anything. Nothing would launch, nothing would
    > save. Thank goodness for ctl+alt+f2 so I could get to terminal and run
    >
    > chmod 700 /home/sinner
    >
    > Just thought I'd share

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  3. Re: Scary Whoops!

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:

    > chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner
    >
    > wound up with:
    > drw-r--r-- /home/sinner

    Be thankful this didn't happen to your /usr hierarchy, or you wouldn't
    be able to do anything at all (short of rebooting and binding a
    /usr-backup hierarchy back to it.)

    --
    I like the idea of 256 bits, though: 32 for the (Unicode) character leaves
    room for 224 Bucky bits, which ought to be enough for anyone.

  4. Re: Scary Whoops!

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:48:59 +0800, Zak B. Elep wrote:

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:
    >
    >> chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner
    >>
    >> wound up with:
    >> drw-r--r-- /home/sinner

    > Be thankful this didn't happen to your /usr hierarchy, or you wouldn't
    > be able to do anything at all (short of rebooting and binding a
    > /usr-backup hierarchy back to it.)

    LiveCD

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  5. Re: Scary Whoops!

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:12:22 +0100, Trevor Best
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:48:59 +0800, Zak B. Elep wrote:
    >
    >> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> writes:
    >>
    >>> chmod +x file.sh /home/sinner
    >>>
    >>> wound up with:
    >>> drw-r--r-- /home/sinner

    >> Be thankful this didn't happen to your /usr hierarchy, or you wouldn't
    >> be able to do anything at all (short of rebooting and binding a
    >> /usr-backup hierarchy back to it.)

    >LiveCD

    Yes! That's my best friend in my mess-ups, thank you very
    much!

    --
    _( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli

+ Reply to Thread