Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks! - Ubuntu ; I hate to continue this discussion but take it from a graphics newbie, I find both Photoshop and Gimp interfaces not that great. Both could use improvements. There is some truth that Linux programmers don't seem to take usability criticism ...

  1. Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks!

    I hate to continue this discussion but take it from a graphics newbie, I
    find both Photoshop and Gimp interfaces not that great. Both could use
    improvements. There is some truth that Linux programmers don't seem to
    take usability criticism very well and just plain ignore it. However,
    considering how much Adobe and Microsoft spend on their UIs, you would
    think that they would be much better than they are. At least linux does
    have an excuse, it doesn't cost you anything; however, I would hate to
    think that the open source programmers are thinking along those
    particular lines--"hey quite complaining, you are getting it for free".

  2. Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks!

    LittleGorm, ye lice-infested devil, thoe are not worth another word,
    else I'd call you knave, ye instructed:

    >I hate to continue this discussion but take it from a graphics newbie, I
    > find both Photoshop and Gimp interfaces not that great.

    The GIMP UI is ****, and Photoshop is a direct lift of GIMP, and I wouldn't
    be surprised if the lifting included massive chunks of source code.

    So, it is hardly surprising that Photoshop and GIMP are both ****; if you
    copy a pile of **** you get another pile ****.

    > Both could use
    > improvements. There is some truth that Linux programmers don't seem to
    > take usability criticism very well and just plain ignore it. However,
    > considering how much Adobe and Microsoft spend on their UIs, you would
    > think that they would be much better than they are. At least linux does
    > have an excuse, it doesn't cost you anything; however, I would hate to
    > think that the open source programmers are thinking along those
    > particular lines--"hey quite complaining, you are getting it for free".

  3. Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks!

    "LittleGorm" wrote in message
    >I hate to continue this discussion but take it from a graphics newbie, I
    > find both Photoshop and Gimp interfaces not that great. Both could use
    > improvements. There is some truth that Linux programmers don't seem to
    > take usability criticism very well and just plain ignore it. However,
    > considering how much Adobe and Microsoft spend on their UIs, you would
    > think that they would be much better than they are. At least linux does
    > have an excuse, it doesn't cost you anything; however, I would hate to
    > think that the open source programmers are thinking along those
    > particular lines--"hey quite complaining, you are getting it for free".

    Radically changing the Photoshop interface (Office 2007 style) is not going
    to go down well, with it being so widely used professionally. Still, it
    does evolve, as shown in Photoshop 7 and Photoshop CS3 in particular. It
    looks like CS4 is going to bring further changes, with tabbed documents,
    like Fireworks.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-twq85H0CU

    ss.

  4. Re: GIMP is terrible! Says Linux Geeks!

    LittleGorm wrote in news:_d6dnT1-
    U96eFArVnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@giganews.com:

    > I hate to continue this discussion but take it from a graphics newbie, I
    > find both Photoshop and Gimp interfaces not that great. Both could use
    > improvements. There is some truth that Linux programmers don't seem to
    > take usability criticism very well and just plain ignore it. However,
    > considering how much Adobe and Microsoft spend on their UIs, you would
    > think that they would be much better than they are. At least linux does
    > have an excuse, it doesn't cost you anything; however, I would hate to
    > think that the open source programmers are thinking along those
    > particular lines--"hey quite complaining, you are getting it for free".

    For what it's worth, there is/was a GIMP spinoff that was done strictly to
    make the UI to look more like the Photoshop UI.....

    www.gimpshop.com

    (Never tried it/don't know how current it is.)

+ Reply to Thread