Monitoring modem? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Monitoring modem? - Ubuntu ; Hoe can I monitor my modem - on-line or not, connection speed, etc.? I tried the Modem Monitor but it says "Could not get connection time". I tried deleting and reinstalling but no help. I can't get Gnome-ppp to work ...

  1. Monitoring modem?

    Hoe can I monitor my modem - on-line or not, connection speed, etc.?

    I tried the Modem Monitor but it says "Could not get connection time". I
    tried deleting and reinstalling but no help.

    I can't get Gnome-ppp to work - see "Gnome-ppp authentication hangs"
    thread.

    Anyone know of any other way? Using 7.10.

    Tried Google/Linux but no luck so far.

    TIA

    Ken

  2. Re: Monitoring modem?

    "Ken" wrote in message
    > Hoe can I monitor my modem - on-line or not, connection speed, etc.?
    >
    > I tried the Modem Monitor but it says "Could not get connection time". I
    > tried deleting and reinstalling but no help.
    >
    > I can't get Gnome-ppp to work - see "Gnome-ppp authentication hangs"
    > thread.
    >
    > Anyone know of any other way? Using 7.10.
    >
    > Tried Google/Linux but no luck so far.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ken
    >

    > --
    > "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
    > remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

    Once you're connected, drop into a terminal and type 'plog'.

    Should give you all you need 'man plog' for further features.

  3. Re: Monitoring modem?

    "Dogma Discharge" wrote in

    > "Ken" wrote in message
    >> Hoe can I monitor my modem - on-line or not, connection speed, etc.?
    >>
    >> I tried the Modem Monitor but it says "Could not get connection
    >> time". I tried deleting and reinstalling but no help.
    >>
    >> I can't get Gnome-ppp to work - see "Gnome-ppp authentication hangs"
    >> thread.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of any other way? Using 7.10.
    >>
    >> Tried Google/Linux but no luck so far.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Once you're connected, drop into a terminal and type 'plog'.
    >
    > Should give you all you need 'man plog' for further features.

    That works great! One catch - even using plog -n25 I still don't see a
    line showing the modem speed. My ISP sometimes gives me slow connection
    and it's sure to get dropped quickly - I prefer to know when I first log
    on so I can try again. Do you know of any way to check?

    Noticed one interesting thing - my Ubuntu ISP log on goes _very_ much
    faster than Windows XP DUN and so far hasn't failed, requiring a retry,
    which DUN does about 40% of the time. It would be nice if XP had such a
    dial-up utility (until I get all my Ubuntu stuff straightened out and
    finally use it full time. ).

    Ken

  4. Re: Monitoring modem?

    "Ken" wrote in message
    > "Dogma Discharge" wrote in
    >

    >> "Ken" wrote in message
    >>> Hoe can I monitor my modem - on-line or not, connection speed, etc.?
    >>>
    >>> I tried the Modem Monitor but it says "Could not get connection
    >>> time". I tried deleting and reinstalling but no help.
    >>>
    >>> I can't get Gnome-ppp to work - see "Gnome-ppp authentication hangs"
    >>> thread.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of any other way? Using 7.10.
    >>>
    >>> Tried Google/Linux but no luck so far.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Ken
    >>>

    >> Once you're connected, drop into a terminal and type 'plog'.
    >>
    >> Should give you all you need 'man plog' for further features.
    >>

    > That works great! One catch - even using plog -n25 I still don't see a
    > line showing the modem speed. My ISP sometimes gives me slow connection
    > and it's sure to get dropped quickly - I prefer to know when I first log
    > on so I can try again. Do you know of any way to check?

    Gnome-ppp will give u that info, try it again and see if you can get it
    going. Short of that I can't suggest anything else

    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread