Power button does not shut machines down? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Power button does not shut machines down? - Ubuntu ; For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks -- Due to extreme ...

  1. Power button does not shut machines down?

    For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    appreciated. Thanks

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    * Ignoramus22807 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    > button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    > where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    > appreciated. Thanks

    Did you try holding it in?

    --
    David

  3. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On 2008-08-04, SINNER wrote:
    > * Ignoramus22807 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >> button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >> where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >> appreciated. Thanks
    >>

    > Did you try holding it in?

    Yes, holding it for more than 10 seconds causes them to turn off.

    What I wanted, instead, is that merely pressing the POWER button would
    cause a "soft shutdown".

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    Ignoramus22807 writes:

    >For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >appreciated. Thanks

    Hardware not software? HOld the button down for 10 seconds. But that will
    give you an instant shutoff, not a shutdown. If you want a shutdown, use
    the /etc/acpi/events/power to tell it what to do when the power button is
    pressed. Of course acpi on your system may not report a pwer button press
    in which case this is useless.

  5. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:42:02 -0500, Ignoramus22807 wrote:

    > For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    > button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    > where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    > appreciated. Thanks

    There is a point and click setting. Have you check that?

    System menu >>>> Preferences >>>>> Power Management

    Click on the general tab and look for...

    When the power button is pressed: Shutdown

    If that is already set, then you could perhaps add some boot options to
    disable pci or apic.

    stonerfish

  6. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    * Ignoramus22807 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2008-08-04, SINNER wrote:
    >> * Ignoramus22807 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >>
    >>> For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >>> button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >>> where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >>> appreciated. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Did you try holding it in?
    >>

    > Yes, holding it for more than 10 seconds causes them to turn off.
    >
    > What I wanted, instead, is that merely pressing the POWER button would
    > cause a "soft shutdown".

    I think thats an option under System/Prefs Power or similar where you can
    choose what the button does. Sorry, not home right now, cant be positive
    but look around in that area for power preferences.

    --
    David

  7. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On 2008-08-04, Unruh wrote:
    > Ignoramus22807 writes:
    >
    >>For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >>button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >>where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >>appreciated. Thanks

    > Hardware not software? HOld the button down for 10 seconds. But that will
    > give you an instant shutoff, not a shutdown. If you want a shutdown, use
    > the /etc/acpi/events/power to tell it what to do when the power button is
    > pressed. Of course acpi on your system may not report a pwer button press
    > in which case this is useless.

    I think that what I am missing is called "acpid". It solves the
    problem. It also seems to come with few, if any, risks. Thanks a lot.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On 2008-08-04, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:42:02 -0500, Ignoramus22807 wrote:
    >
    >> For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >> button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >> where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >> appreciated. Thanks

    > There is a point and click setting. Have you check that?
    >
    > System menu >>>> Preferences >>>>> Power Management

    These are servers, they do not have any GUI.

    But I found the answer, thanks to Unruh's helpful post. It was to
    install "acpid".

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  9. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    Ignoramus22807 writes:

    >On 2008-08-04, jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:42:02 -0500, Ignoramus22807 wrote:
    >>
    >>> For our rackmount servers (proliants), we have one issue, the power
    >>> button, when pressed, does not cause system shutdown. I am not sure
    >>> where to start debugging this issue, so, any pointers would be
    >>> appreciated. Thanks

    >> There is a point and click setting. Have you check that?
    >>
    >> System menu >>>> Preferences >>>>> Power Management

    >These are servers, they do not have any GUI.

    >But I found the answer, thanks to Unruh's helpful post. It was to
    >install "acpid".

    I never mentioned acpid, so the answer was found by you, not me. Glad you
    did.

  10. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    Unruh illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ignoramus22807 writes:

    >>> There is a point and click setting. Have you check that?
    >>>
    >>> System menu >>>> Preferences >>>>> Power Management

    >>These are servers, they do not have any GUI.

    >>But I found the answer, thanks to Unruh's helpful post. It was to
    >>install "acpid".

    > I never mentioned acpid, so the answer was found by you, not me. Glad you
    > did.

    There are also a few options in "./sh" files in
    /etc/acpi/
    These can be tweaked if acpid doesn't give any action.

    --
    "I was in a bar the other night, hopping from barstool to barstool,
    trying to get lucky, but there wasn't any gum under any of them." ~ Emo

  11. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On 2008-08-04, Unruh wrote:
    > Ignoramus22807 writes:

    >>> There is a point and click setting. Have you check that?
    >>>
    >>> System menu >>>> Preferences >>>>> Power Management

    >>These are servers, they do not have any GUI.

    >>But I found the answer, thanks to Unruh's helpful post. It was to
    >>install "acpid".

    > I never mentioned acpid, so the answer was found by you, not me. Glad you
    > did.

    You got me started on the ACPI path. That was the key word that I was
    missing.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    On 2008-08-04, Moog wrote:
    > Unruh illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Ignoramus22807 writes:

    >>>These are servers, they do not have any GUI.

    >>>But I found the answer, thanks to Unruh's helpful post. It was to
    >>>install "acpid".

    >> I never mentioned acpid, so the answer was found by you, not me. Glad you
    >> did.

    > There are also a few options in "./sh" files in
    > /etc/acpi/
    > These can be tweaked if acpid doesn't give any action.

    Just installing "acpid" gave me the perfect power button behavior, and
    nothing else. It is just what I wanted.

    Installing it on all machines was done with one command

    $ ForAllProductionMachinesAsRoot bash -i -c ainstall acpid

    By the way, this is sort of automation is what keeps the "marginal
    cost of ownership" at approximately zero (marginal means "extra cost
    per every additional linux server"). The "zero marginal cost of
    ownership" is a concept that I try to adhere to, very strongly.

    That, obviously, does not include the cost of rackspace or electrical
    power or cooling.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  13. Re: Power button does not shut machines down?

    Ignoramus22807 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-08-04, Moog wrote:
    >> Unruh illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I never mentioned acpid, so the answer was found by you, not me. Glad you
    >>> did.

    >> There are also a few options in "./sh" files in
    >> /etc/acpi/
    >> These can be tweaked if acpid doesn't give any action.
    >>

    > Just installing "acpid" gave me the perfect power button behavior, and
    > nothing else. It is just what I wanted.

    Yeah. I read that.

    However, the answer wasn't specifically for *you*. It could come in
    handy for anyone suffering from similar issues that may visit this
    thread later down the line.

    --
    "I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and
    lost him." ~ Emo Philips

  14. Centralized configuration. (was: Re: Power button does not shut machinesdown?)

    Ignoramus22807 wrote:

    > Installing it on all machines was done with one command
    >
    > $ ForAllProductionMachinesAsRoot bash -i -c ainstall acpid

    Are you using some existing centralized configuration tool
    for that (like cfengine for instance), or are you developing
    your own scripts?

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  15. Re: Centralized configuration. (was: Re: Power button does not shut machines down?)

    On 2008-08-05, Kees Theunissen wrote:
    > Ignoramus22807 wrote:
    >
    >> Installing it on all machines was done with one command
    >>
    >> $ ForAllProductionMachinesAsRoot bash -i -c ainstall acpid

    > Are you using some existing centralized configuration tool
    > for that (like cfengine for instance), or are you developing
    > your own scripts?

    This is a darn good question. The answer is that I do not use
    cfengine. This may not be the best choice. I just did not want to be
    burdened or put at risk by what I do not know well. I looked at it and
    it seemed powerful, but above my head, and our move to Linux was quick
    by necessity due to important people being boiling mad at those
    windows performance issues that put them at financial risk.

    Over the years, I developed my own scripts to, for example, edit
    configuration files from command line without "editors". They provide
    me with the "poor man's cfengine like capabilities" without having to
    integrate the entire cfengine.

    Due to this, configuring a server for our use, with all extra
    packages, /etc/* config file changes, fstab changes, and so on, is ALL
    done from one script and the installation is completely scripted with
    debconf/preseed. So an installation can be done by just about anyone,
    the only real choice that the installing person makes, is the
    hostname.

    This is not something that I am recommending, as such, but it works
    for me. I am very paranoid about system stability and would hate to
    break all servers at once due to some misunderstanding of cfengine.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  16. Re: Centralized configuration.

    Ignoramus830 wrote:
    > On 2008-08-05, Kees Theunissen wrote:
    >> Ignoramus22807 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Installing it on all machines was done with one command
    >>>
    >>> $ ForAllProductionMachinesAsRoot bash -i -c ainstall acpid

    >> Are you using some existing centralized configuration tool
    >> for that (like cfengine for instance), or are you developing
    >> your own scripts?

    > This is a darn good question. The answer is that I do not use
    > cfengine. This may not be the best choice. I just did not want to be
    > burdened or put at risk by what I do not know well. I looked at it and
    > it seemed powerful, but above my head, and our move to Linux was quick
    > by necessity due to important people being boiling mad at those
    > windows performance issues that put them at financial risk.

    I took a quick look at cfengine some time ago. It indeed doesn't look
    like something you can start using without investing (quite) some time.
    At work we want to start using it. Probably next year. For now there
    are other projects in the queue with higher priority.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.