HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ? - Ubuntu ; Has anyone tried running ubuntu on one of these ? - they seem to be unfeasibly cheap in the UK at the moment, at around £110 delivered (base unit only). 512 MB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - PC2-6400 1 ...

  1. HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    Has anyone tried running ubuntu on one of these ? - they seem to be
    unfeasibly cheap in the UK at the moment, at around £110 delivered
    (base unit only).

    512 MB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - PC2-6400
    1 x AMD Dual-Core Opteron 1214 / 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    1 x 160 GB - standard - Serial ATA-150
    DVD±RW
    2 MB L2 Cache
    PCI Express x1 - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

  2. Re: HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    Colin Wilson schreef:
    > Has anyone tried running ubuntu on one of these ? - they seem to be
    > unfeasibly cheap in the UK at the moment, at around £110 delivered
    > (base unit only).
    >
    > 512 MB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - PC2-6400
    > 1 x AMD Dual-Core Opteron 1214 / 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    > 1 x 160 GB - standard - Serial ATA-150
    > DVD±RW
    > 2 MB L2 Cache
    > PCI Express x1 - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

    HP is generally standards (Linux) friendly.
    The biggest hurdles are often the wireless and video card which you did
    not specify.

  3. Re: HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    On 2008-08-03, Colin Wilson wrote:
    > Has anyone tried running ubuntu on one of these ? - they seem to be
    > unfeasibly cheap in the UK at the moment, at around £110 delivered
    > (base unit only).

    Colin,

    I run ubuntu on later versions of proliant. I think that you should be fine.

    > 512 MB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - PC2-6400
    > 1 x AMD Dual-Core Opteron 1214 / 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
    > 1 x 160 GB - standard - Serial ATA-150
    > DVD±RW
    > 2 MB L2 Cache
    > PCI Express x1 - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    > HP is generally standards (Linux) friendly.
    > The biggest hurdles are often the wireless and video card which you did
    > not specify.

    I don't think it has wireless, and it doesn't tell me what the video
    card is, other than it appears to use shared memory (UMA?!?)

  5. Re: HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    On 2008-08-03, Colin Wilson wrote:
    >> HP is generally standards (Linux) friendly.
    >> The biggest hurdles are often the wireless and video card which you did
    >> not specify.

    > I don't think it has wireless, and it doesn't tell me what the video
    > card is, other than it appears to use shared memory (UMA?!?)

    Proliants are servers, and servers hopefully do not have fancy video
    cards or wifi. I am sure that those old Proliants do not have either.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: HP Proliant ML115 / ubuntu ?

    > > I don't think it has wireless, and it doesn't tell me what the video
    > > card is, other than it appears to use shared memory (UMA?!?)

    > Proliants are servers, and servers hopefully do not have fancy video
    > cards or wifi. I am sure that those old Proliants do not have either.

    It does have PCI-E though, which should make it a little more
    consumer-card-friendly...

+ Reply to Thread