Problem with GRUB when installing Hardy Heron Ubuntu (WinXP/Vista triple boot) - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problem with GRUB when installing Hardy Heron Ubuntu (WinXP/Vista triple boot) - Ubuntu ; I have a machine set up to dual-boot WinXP and Vista. I installed Hardy Heron which ran without apparent error. However, on reboot GRUB is nowhere to be seen. It's as if Linux is not there to boot (but using ...

  1. Problem with GRUB when installing Hardy Heron Ubuntu (WinXP/Vista triple boot)

    I have a machine set up to dual-boot WinXP and Vista. I installed Hardy
    Heron which ran without apparent error. However, on reboot GRUB is
    nowhere to be seen. It's as if Linux is not there to boot (but using a
    partition manager I can see the ext3fs and swap partitions are indeed
    there on the machine).

    In attempted remedy, I ran the steps to relocate GRUB that I found at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=Grub+... [rest
    of URL didn't print at top of page I printed out], they went like so:

    sudo grub
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd?,?) [where question marks are replaced with the HD address
    found in the previous "find" step]
    setup (hd0)
    quit

    but these steps, though they seemed to go without a hitch, did not solve
    my problem.

    Anybody know how I can get GRUB to be the first boot loader to run, then
    the Vista boot loader next (as it is now on my machine), then finally
    the WinXP loader? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    Regards,
    Will Grove

  2. Re: Problem with GRUB when installing Hardy Heron Ubuntu (WinXP/Vistatriple boot)

    Iphouse wrote:
    > I have a machine set up to dual-boot WinXP and Vista. I installed Hardy
    > Heron which ran without apparent error. However, on reboot GRUB is
    > nowhere to be seen. It's as if Linux is not there to boot (but using a
    > partition manager I can see the ext3fs and swap partitions are indeed
    > there on the machine).
    >
    > In attempted remedy, I ran the steps to relocate GRUB that I found at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=Grub+... [rest
    > of URL didn't print at top of page I printed out], they went like so:
    >
    > sudo grub
    > find /boot/grub/stage1
    > root (hd?,?) [where question marks are replaced with the HD address
    > found in the previous "find" step]
    > setup (hd0)
    > quit
    >
    > but these steps, though they seemed to go without a hitch, did not solve
    > my problem.
    >
    > Anybody know how I can get GRUB to be the first boot loader to run, then
    > the Vista boot loader next (as it is now on my machine), then finally
    > the WinXP loader? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Will Grove

    How many HD do you have your system ? Try booting from the drive you
    installed HH on from your bios

    Ram

+ Reply to Thread