Logout/Shutdown box not appearing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Logout/Shutdown box not appearing - Ubuntu ; When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow the mouse ...

  1. Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    click on anything.

    The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  2. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    > on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    > appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    > the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    > click on anything.
    >
    > The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    > where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    This is normal if you are not the first user logged in.

    IOW, you wouldn't want to end it all for others. ;-)

    Check "who -a" and "users" to see who else may be logged in.

    What does (the "Three Fingered Salute") do?

    --
    John

  3. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    Trevor Best wrote:
    > When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    > on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    > appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    > the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    > click on anything.
    >
    > The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    > where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    Trevor, have you disabled the default power manager?
    (System/Administration/Services)
    Apparently Ubuntu has difficulty trying to power down without it.

    Bob
    "Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much." ... Oscar
    Wilde

  4. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:50:23 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    >> on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    >> appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    >> the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    >> click on anything.
    >>
    >> The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    >> where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    > This is normal if you are not the first user logged in.
    >
    > IOW, you wouldn't want to end it all for others. ;-)
    >
    > Check "who -a" and "users" to see who else may be logged in.

    Nobody else logged in.

    > What does (the "Three Fingered Salute") do?

    Nothing at that point, locked me up just now but it cleared after a bit.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  5. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:30:48 +1000, Bob wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    >> on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    >> appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    >> the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    >> click on anything.
    >>
    >> The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    >> where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.
    >>

    > Trevor, have you disabled the default power manager?
    > (System/Administration/Services)
    > Apparently Ubuntu has difficulty trying to power down without it.

    Not that I remember,I did disable bluetooth, I'll try the rm trick...

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  6. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:30:48 +1000, Bob wrote:

    > Trevor Best wrote:
    >> When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    >> on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    >> appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    >> the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    >> click on anything.
    >>
    >> The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    >> where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.
    >>

    > Trevor, have you disabled the default power manager?
    > (System/Administration/Services)
    > Apparently Ubuntu has difficulty trying to power down without it.

    The rm trick in there had an immediate effect, thanks.

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  7. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    > on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    > appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    > the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    > click on anything.
    >
    > The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    > where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    Did you get around to correcting your hosts file?

    I've seen this occur with an incorrectly configured one.

    --
    I went to Millets and said 'I want to buy a tent.' He said 'To camp?',
    I said [butchly] 'Sorry, I want to buy a tent.' I said 'I also want to

  8. Re: Logout/Shutdown box not appearing

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:22:09 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Trevor Best illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> When I choose "Quit" from the system menu (GNOME) or the equivalent icon
    >> on the panel, the option for shutting down, restarting, etc no longer
    >> appears and I'm unable to do anything else, the googly eyes still follow
    >> the mouse around the screen (see, it does have a use) but I'm unable to
    >> click on anything.
    >>
    >> The only keystrokes I found to work are Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and Ctrl+Alt+(F1-F7)
    >> where I can log in and issue a shutdown command.

    > Did you get around to correcting your hosts file?
    >
    > I've seen this occur with an incorrectly configured one.

    Looks OK to me, the problem only exists on my account so I don't think
    it's that:

    <------------------------
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 leoben leoben.besty.org.uk

    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

+ Reply to Thread