Pan shut down error - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Pan shut down error - Ubuntu ; Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I ...

  1. Pan shut down error

    Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click the
    x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens for a
    few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a quit. I
    click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I even
    tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still get the
    forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any errors.

    This is weird.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  2. Re: Pan shut down error

    Vance Howard schreef:
    > Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click the
    > x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens for a
    > few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a quit. I
    > click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I even
    > tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still get the
    > forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any errors.
    >
    > This is weird.

    It sounds like you are a little impatient, depending on the number of
    records in the groups you subscribed to (and the speed of your computer)
    it might take up to 30 seconds for Pan to update it's cache and then
    shut down.
    Have you tried shutting down the preferred way with Ctrl+Q?

  3. Re: Pan shut down error

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click the
    > x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens for a
    > few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a quit. I
    > click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I even
    > tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still get the
    > forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any errors.
    >
    > This is weird.

    Which Pan? ;-)

    Pan 0.14.2.91 is a memory beast, and will need time to do it's thing.
    Just be patient.

    I don't know about the newer beta versions, which you apparently are
    using to post here.

    --
    John

  4. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:53:06 -0500, John F. Morse wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > Vance Howard wrote:
    >> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >> errors.
    >>
    >> This is weird.

    > Which Pan? ;-)
    >
    > Pan 0.14.2.91 is a memory beast, and will need time to do it's thing.
    > Just be patient.
    >
    > I don't know about the newer beta versions, which you apparently are
    > using to post here.

    It is pan 0.132. I didn't have this problem with it in Ubuntu 7.10. Just
    decided I wanted to go back to pan after trying slrn.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  5. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:13:03 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > Vance Howard schreef:
    >> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >> errors.
    >>
    >> This is weird.
    >>

    > It sounds like you are a little impatient, depending on the number of
    > records in the groups you subscribed to (and the speed of your computer)
    > it might take up to 30 seconds for Pan to update it's cache and then
    > shut down.
    > Have you tried shutting down the preferred way with Ctrl+Q?

    It still gives me the pop up for the forced quit with no error specified.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  6. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:20:57 +0200, Vance Howard wrote:

    > It still gives me the pop up for the forced quit with no error
    > specified.

    Next time launch it from a terminal, and see if it kicks out any errors.

  7. Re: Pan shut down error

    * Vance Howard wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:53:06 -0500, John F. Morse wrote these words of
    > wisdom:

    >> Vance Howard wrote:
    >>> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >>> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >>> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >>> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >>> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >>> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >>> errors.

    >>> This is weird.

    >> Which Pan? ;-)

    >> Pan 0.14.2.91 is a memory beast, and will need time to do it's thing.
    >> Just be patient.

    >> I don't know about the newer beta versions, which you apparently are
    >> using to post here.

    > It is pan 0.132. I didn't have this problem with it in Ubuntu 7.10. Just
    > decided I wanted to go back to pan after trying slrn.

    after hitting it can you go to the file menu and bring up the event log
    of the task manager?

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    It is through symbols that man consciously or unconsciously lives, works

  8. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:28:57 +0000, Tehrasha Darkon wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:20:57 +0200, Vance Howard wrote:
    >
    >> It still gives me the pop up for the forced quit with no error
    >> specified.

    > Next time launch it from a terminal, and see if it kicks out any errors.

    I've done that and get no error messages.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  9. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 21:30:07 +0000, SINNER wrote these words of wisdom:

    >> It is pan 0.132. I didn't have this problem with it in Ubuntu 7.10.
    >> Just decided I wanted to go back to pan after trying slrn.

    > after hitting it can you go to the file menu and bring up the event log
    > of the task manager?

    No, I can't navigate pan after I try to quit it. It freezes.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  10. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:04:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    > the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens for
    > a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a quit.
    > I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I even
    > tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still get
    > the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any errors.
    >
    > This is weird.

    I am trying 0.133. I was using 0.132. I will see what happens.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  11. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:49:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:04:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    > wisdom:
    >
    >> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >> errors.
    >>
    >> This is weird.

    > I am trying 0.133. I was using 0.132. I will see what happens.

    It still happens. I have filed a bug report with bugzilla.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  12. Re: Pan shut down error

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:49:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    > wisdom:
    >

    >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:04:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    >> wisdom:
    >>

    >>> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >>> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >>> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >>> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >>> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >>> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >>> errors.
    >>>
    >>> This is weird.
    >>>

    >> I am trying 0.133. I was using 0.132. I will see what happens.
    >>

    > It still happens. I have filed a bug report with bugzilla.

    Bugzilla? Do you expect Mozilla to fix Pan? :-D

    Try Pan 0.14.2.91 which is the preferred version of Pan by millions of
    happy users.

    --
    John

  13. Re: Pan shut down error

    * Vance Howard wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:49:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    > wisdom:

    >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:04:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    >> wisdom:

    >>> Has anybody had experience with pan not shutting down easily? I click
    >>> the x in the top right hand corner of the window and nothing happens
    >>> for a few seconds, then a box pops up and asks me if I want to force a
    >>> quit. I click force quit and it shuts down. Otherwise pan works fine. I
    >>> even tried starting pan from a terminal and pan starts fine, but still
    >>> get the forced quit thing. The terminal window doesn't report any
    >>> errors.

    >>> This is weird.

    >> I am trying 0.133. I was using 0.132. I will see what happens.

    > It still happens. I have filed a bug report with bugzilla.

    rename ~/.pan2 and try again.

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    I'm into SOFTWARE!

  14. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:59:43 -0500, John F. Morse wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > Vance Howard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:49:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    >> wisdom:
    >>

    >>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:04:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> I am trying 0.133. I was using 0.132. I will see what happens.
    >>>

    >> It still happens. I have filed a bug report with bugzilla.

    > Bugzilla? Do you expect Mozilla to fix Pan? :-D
    >
    > Try Pan 0.14.2.91 which is the preferred version of Pan by millions of
    > happy users.

    I went to rebelbase and clicked on report bug and bugzilla was where it
    took me.

    I just tried to install 0.14.2.91 and after messing around with trying to
    meet the dependencies, it wouldn't even start.

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

  15. Re: Pan shut down error

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:59:43 -0500, John F. Morse wrote these words of
    > wisdom:
    >

    >> Vance Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:49:46 +0200, Vance Howard wrote these words of
    >>> wisdom:

    >>> It still happens. I have filed a bug report with bugzilla.
    >>>

    >> Bugzilla? Do you expect Mozilla to fix Pan? :-D
    >>
    >> Try Pan 0.14.2.91 which is the preferred version of Pan by millions of
    >> happy users.
    >>

    > I went to rebelbase and clicked on report bug and bugzilla was where it
    > took me.

    OK, that is http://bugzilla.gnome.org and not https://bugzilla.mozilla.org

    Seems it is now in common use by many developers. It is software and not
    just a Website. Learn something every day. Thanks for the tip!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugzilla

    > I just tried to install 0.14.2.91 and after messing around with trying to
    > meet the dependencies, it wouldn't even start.

    You can use the DEB-APT system to install the Pan version 0.14.2.91. No
    dependency hell there. ;-)

    There was discussion in this newsgroup (or in a.o.l.debian) just this
    weekend on how to do it.

    http://packages.debian.org/sarge/pan

    Or get it from Canonical (Ubuntu) repository:

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache show pan
    Package: pan
    Section: news
    Installed-Size: 3608
    Maintainer: Søren Boll Overgaard
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0.14.2.91-4ubuntu6
    Provides: news-reader
    Depends: libaspell15 (>= 0.60), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libc6 (>=
    2.3.4-1), libc airo2 (>= 1.0.2-2), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.3.0),
    libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.9.3), libgnet2 .0-0 (>= 2.0.7), libgtk2.0-0 (>=
    2.8.0), libgtkspell0 (>= 2.0.2), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.0), libpcre3 (>=
    4.5), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6, libx fixes3, libxi6,
    libxinerama1, libxml2 (>= 2.6.23), libxrandr2, libxrender1, zlib 1g (>=
    1:1.2.1), libpango1.0-common
    Filename: pool/main/p/pan/pan_0.14.2.91-4ubuntu6_i386.deb
    Size: 461608
    MD5sum: 256d8f5b3e3415702e75db558f10a95e
    Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity,
    which attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced
    users alike. It has all the typical features found in
    newsreaders and also supports offline newsreading,
    sophisticated filtering, multiple connections, and a number
    of extra features for power users and alt.binaries fans.
    Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
    Origin: Ubuntu

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache showpkg pan
    Package: pan
    Versions:
    0.14.2.91-4ubuntu6(/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_dapper_main_binary-i386_Packages)(/var/lib/dpkg/status)

    Reverse Depends:
    meta-ul-desktop-base,pan
    gnome-fifth-toe,pan
    Dependencies:
    0.14.2.91-4ubuntu6 - libaspell15 (2 0.60) libatk1.0-0 (2 1.9.0) libc6 (2
    2.3.4-1) libcairo2 (2 1.0.2-2) libfontconfig1 (2 2.3.0) libglib2.0-0 (2
    2.9.3) libgnet2.0-0 (2 2.0.7) libgtk2.0-0 (2 2.8.0) libgtkspell0 (2
    2.0.2) libpango1.0-0 (2 1.12.0) libpcre3 (2 4.5) libx11-6 (0 (null))
    libxcursor1 (4 1.1.2) libxext6 (0 (null)) libxfixes3 (0 (null)) libxi6
    (0 (null)) libxinerama1 (0 (null)) libxml2 (2 2.6.23) libxrandr2 (0
    (null)) libxrender1 (0 (null)) zlib1g (2 1:1.2.1) libpango1.0-common (0
    (null))
    Provides:
    0.14.2.91-4ubuntu6 - news-reader
    Reverse Provides:

    You will first need to modify your repository listing to point to Dapper.

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#Repositories

    Some HOWTO do this:

    http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/05/13/...r-repositories

    Or:
    http://www.google.com/search?&as_q=u...as_eq=&num=100

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...ader_.28Pan.29

    The info posted here over the weekend sounded a lot simpler. Perhaps you
    can find it, or the person who posted it can reply?

    Once you get Pan 0.14.2.91 installed, be sure to lock the version so it
    won't later be upgraded to the beta!

    --
    John

  16. Re: Pan shut down error

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:22:01 -0500, John F. Morse wrote these words of
    wisdom:

    > Once you get Pan 0.14.2.91 installed, be sure to lock the version so it
    > won't later be upgraded to the beta!

    Well, I tried the deb package for pan 0.14.2.91 and it shut down on me
    three times spontaneously while I was trying to post something. I am
    using pan 0.133 now and will continue to use it. It works except for the
    forced quit thing so it's only a minor annoyance.

    Thanks for all the help fellows.

    Vance

    --
    To reply by email: vhoward1122 at gmail dot com

+ Reply to Thread