Suggest where to read about WiFi? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Suggest where to read about WiFi? - Ubuntu ; I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any good ideas about where to read about it. Alvin in ...

  1. Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only
    one of my neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and
    have you got any good ideas about where to read about it.

    Alvin in AZ
    ps- he calls it "WeeFee" ...guess where he's from

  2. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:33:21 +0000, alvinj wrote:

    > I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my
    > neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any
    > good ideas about where to read about it.
    >
    > Alvin in AZ
    > ps- he calls it "WeeFee" ...guess where he's from

    Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line is probably
    illegal per your contract with your isp.

  3. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    Norman wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:33:21 +0000, alvinj wrote:
    > I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my
    > neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any
    > good ideas about where to read about it.
    >
    > Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line is probably
    > illegal per your contract with your isp.

    Also set up MAC filtering and include the MAC address of his network
    adapter.

  4. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    Norman wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:33:21 +0000, alvinj wrote:
    >

    >> I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my
    >> neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any
    >> good ideas about where to read about it.
    >>
    >> Alvin in AZ
    >> ps- he calls it "WeeFee" ...guess where he's from
    >>

    > Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line is probably
    > illegal per your contract with your isp.

    Hmmmm....

    Wonder if it would be legal if he charged the neighbor for half of his
    cable bill? Then the neighbor would be technically a "customer" eh?

    If not, then perhaps the penalty would only be half as bad? ;-)

    Sounds like a game plan for a greedy lawyer.

    --
    John

  5. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    > > Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line
    > > is probably illegal per your contract with your isp.

    > Hmmmm....
    > Wonder if it would be legal if he charged the neighbor for half
    > of his cable bill? Then the neighbor would be technically a
    > "customer" eh?
    > If not, then perhaps the penalty would only be half as bad? ;-)
    > Sounds like a game plan for a greedy lawyer.
    > John

    LOL

    Meanwhile back at the ranch...
    The plans have changed, they are now getting their own line.
    (sharing sucks from their side

    But I still want to explore the WiFi security because they will
    soon have my WiFi equipment as a router.

    Might as well give it to them since I'm getting out of the WiFi
    "business".

    So...
    Wep and any other suggestions?

    Alvin in AZ

  6. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    Cushie wrote:
    > Norman wrote:
    >> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:33:21 +0000, alvinj wrote:
    >> I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my
    >> neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any
    >> good ideas about where to read about it.
    >> Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line is
    >> probably illegal per your contract with your isp.
    >>

    > Also set up MAC filtering and include the MAC address of his network
    > adapter.

    Use WAP (with a long random key) and forget MAC filtering. WEP isn't
    secure, and MACs are readily spoofed.

  7. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    Mike Scott wrote:
    > Cushie wrote:
    >> Norman wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 05:33:21 +0000, alvinj wrote:
    >>> I've changed my mind... I'd like to setup my WiFi so that only one of my
    >>> neighbors can use my WiFi. What do you suggest and have you got any
    >>> good ideas about where to read about it.
    >>> Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line is
    >>> probably illegal per your contract with your isp.
    >>>

    >> Also set up MAC filtering and include the MAC address of his network
    >> adapter.

    > Use WAP (with a long random key) and forget MAC filtering. WEP isn't

    ^^^^^
    Make that WPA of course. Fonger trouble :-(

    > secure, and MACs are readily spoofed.

  8. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    alvinj@Example.com wrote:
    >>> Use Wep and give him the password. Although sharing your line
    >>> is probably illegal per your contract with your isp.
    >>>

    >> Hmmmm....
    >> Wonder if it would be legal if he charged the neighbor for half
    >> of his cable bill? Then the neighbor would be technically a
    >> "customer" eh?
    >> If not, then perhaps the penalty would only be half as bad? ;-)
    >> Sounds like a game plan for a greedy lawyer.
    >> John
    >>

    > LOL
    >
    > Meanwhile back at the ranch...
    > The plans have changed, they are now getting their own line.
    > (sharing sucks from their side
    >
    > But I still want to explore the WiFi security because they will
    > soon have my WiFi equipment as a router.
    >
    > Might as well give it to them since I'm getting out of the WiFi
    > "business".
    >
    > So...
    > Wep and any other suggestions?
    >
    > Alvin in AZ

    I personally have no use for nor like WiFi. I use secure, fast, wired
    Ethernet routers, but will admit to owning two SMC WiFi routers. This is
    because they were on sale a couple of years ago for $9.95, and I thought
    the four or five port switch on their rear was worth at least that, so I
    bought them.

    I turned off the wireless portion, and use one occasionally as a wired
    router on a different cable ISP WAN IP to an iMac for testing. The other
    one just sits as a spare if needed.

    My cable ISP (like many) provides four or five IPs, and all that is
    needed is a small five-port switch on the output of the cable modem. The
    four switch ports then feed four routers. Of course this is senseless
    for someone with only one computer.

    I have a friend who owns an industrial building down in the core of the
    city. He wants to set up a remotely-accessed (Web server) burglar alarm
    and security camera system. Something like: http://www.zoneminder.com

    He cannot get Time Warner, who provides Road Runner, to install cable to
    his building. They went to the wrong city one time (Leavenworth, Kansas,
    some 30 miles away in a different county!), and then stated they
    couldn't find his building another time. It's on one of the busiest
    streets in in his city, Kansas City, Kansas!

    Back when I worked for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company in the
    Sixties, we would occasionally run across a house address where we could
    not locate any plant facilities to assign for service in our records.
    Not uncommon in newly constructed areas. So on the service order, where
    we would normally write in the cable number, the cable pair number, its
    binding post or color code, and the terminal address (plus any
    cross-connect box data), we would simply write in, "Spot and Call."

    This told the installer to go to the house address and look around. Find
    the closest telephone company terminal for a drop connection, then call
    in and provide its address. If he couldn't spot an address of the
    terminal, he could clip onto a working cable pair in that terminal and
    call in to the testboard. They could find out the telephone number
    assigned to that pair, then look up the number in the line-card records,
    which would provide that cable and pair assignment. Then the plant
    assignment department could locate the cable and pair range and search
    for a vacant pair to use on the new assignment.

    You would think Time Warner would send out an installer to look up at
    the utility pole out behind my friend's building, and call back in to
    his ignorant company to get their cable tap on the pole linked with the
    street address. It's there, but they evidentially don't care about
    adding another income-producing customer. They don't "need" this info to
    provide service anyway. All they need is for an installer to get his fat
    a$$ up the pole and hook up some RG-6 coax to the building.

    I suggested he buy a WiFi router and give it to the neighbor across the
    alley behind his building, whose address is facing a side street. My
    friend might even pay for that neighbor's cable service if it was
    necessary. I'm sure the neighbor (small house -- poor people) wouldn't
    object to free cable TV (and an ISP account if they could afford a PC)!
    The Time Warner dude would still need to climb that pole! ;-)

    My friend could have control of the ISP portion by only providing the
    neighbor one or two e-mail boxes, and only those passwords, keeping the
    account management password to himself, and the remaining mailboxes.

    Is this "stealing"? Time Warner adds a new income-producing account that
    they wouldn't have. Seems like we would be helping their bottom line,
    eh. ;-)

    Similar situation three blocks east where my friend's brother has a huge
    building with a True-Value Hardware store in it. He couldn't get
    broadband, which True Value finally required when they upgraded their
    computer system. The solution was to pay Ma Bell extra to run a telco
    drop several spans just to get DSL, which was already available directly
    across the street at a U.S. Post Office branch.

    Utilities seem to attract a bunch of ignoramuses. Or is it just
    Americans in general? :-\

    --
    John

  9. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:15:24 +0000, alvinj wrote:

    > So...
    > Wep and any other suggestions?

    WEP is *not* a good idea. It's really easy to crack WEP "security". Go
    to Youtube and search for "WEP cracking", you'll see lots of folk doing
    it.

    WPA is the more secure option.

  10. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:49:26 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:

    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >> Cushie wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Also set up MAC filtering and include the MAC address of his network
    >>> adapter.

    >> Use WAP (with a long random key) and forget MAC filtering. WEP isn't

    > ^^^^^
    > Make that WPA of course. Fonger trouble :-(
    >

    >> secure, and MACs are readily spoofed.

    Id go the same route. Use WPA/2, damn strong password, and add his mac
    address to the wifi routers list.

  11. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:47:39 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:

    > Use WAP (with a long random key) and forget MAC filtering. WEP isn't
    > secure, and MACs are readily spoofed.

    I know you can spoof a MAC, but how do you know what MAC to spoof? Does
    the router advertise what MACs can connect or is it a case of trying them
    all?

    --
    A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.

  12. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:47:39 +0100, Mike Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Use WAP (with a long random key) and forget MAC filtering. WEP isn't
    >> secure, and MACs are readily spoofed.

    > I know you can spoof a MAC, but how do you know what MAC to spoof? Does
    > the router advertise what MACs can connect or is it a case of trying them
    > all?

    Yes, the MAC is transmitted with certain packets. So a would-be-spoofer just
    has to log the exchange of a reaL client with the router. Then he has the
    MAC for future use
    --
    A NT server can be run by idiots and usually is

  13. Re: Suggest where to read about WiFi?

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Utilities seem to attract a bunch of ignoramuses.
    > Or is it just Americans in general? :-\
    > John

    Depending on the situation... seems like >75% of the work force
    only cares about "quiting time and their paycheck".

    I remember the guys that'd put the most effort in -not- doing
    anything all-day were the same ones that would figure out their
    paycheck "to the penny". Seemed funny to me, the high level
    of care they'd "all of a sudden" display.

    Anyway...
    Thanks for all the effort in this thread so far you guys (gals?)
    I do appreciate it!

    Alvin in AZ

+ Reply to Thread